Register Register

Author Topic: The Free Worlds League: Wolf Empire Reunion Tour  (Read 16205 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Re: The Free Worlds League: Wolf Empire Reunion Tour
« Reply #240 on: 10 August 2022, 10:01:45 »
Did we get an agreement which Citadel contrast paint was best for Marik Militia, etc?
I concur with Sartris.  I tried two other shades of contrast paint for my Marik Militia, but neither is as spot on as that Leviathan purple.

I like how dark the Shyish purple comes out--but it isn't really the color that Marik Militia are supposed to be.....

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #241 on: 10 August 2022, 10:05:11 »
volupus pink with a wash would give you a warmer tone if that's what you're looking for

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #242 on: 10 August 2022, 10:09:39 »
volupus pink with a wash would give you a warmer tone if that's what you're looking for

I can't decide to be honest.  I've got some time, because the Marik Militia is a ways down the queue--I've got to finish two Davion Guards and get a SoL lance done first--that should take me a good 3 months at my current rate.  My painting time is getting harder and harder to come by. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #243 on: 16 August 2022, 10:21:18 »
Is the new parliament able to call for a vote of no confidence?

Just how big of a political splash would it be for one of Victor & Isis grandchildren to show up in the League as the Republic falls?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #244 on: 16 August 2022, 10:43:31 »
Is the new parliament able to call for a vote of no confidence?

Just how big of a political splash would it be for one of Victor & Isis grandchildren to show up in the League as the Republic falls?

Everyone has the characters they like--but man would I like the Steiner-Davion line to go away at this point.  New plotlines for new characters and all that. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #245 on: 16 August 2022, 11:14:03 »
It is a game with feudal settings, and having the bloodlines is the means to power.  Vic's daughters did not seem to be, by MWDA writing, involved in the Republic's government or have any ambitions . . . but they lived in a time of peace.  They would have grown up with Thadeus Marik trading on his name to end up, by appearances, as a co-ruler of the restored League.  And Isis's granddaughters have a much better claim than Jennifer/Nikol and Thad since I do not recall her ever abrogating the title for her or her descendants.

So, the links to Victor would be downplayed in the League . . . it would be more about Isis as the means to power in the League.  But Isis grandchildren would also be a figurehead for someone wanting to challenge Nikol for leadership of the League.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #246 on: 16 August 2022, 18:46:57 »
Everyone has the characters they like--but man would I like the Steiner-Davion line to go away at this point.  New plotlines for new characters and all that.

this is a game about noble dynasties a character who was the rightful heir to 2 intersteller nations can't marry the heir of a third and just walk off into the sunset forgotten about

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #247 on: 16 August 2022, 18:48:01 »
I've made no secret of being a Kenyon II fan, but he's the best positioned true-blood Marik to take the Captain-Generalcy.  The Steiner-Davion-Mariks are strangers to the League and would be viewed as outsiders.  Kenyon has fought for League worlds, serves in the League government, and holds a League noble title.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #248 on: 16 August 2022, 19:08:11 »
I've made no secret of being a Kenyon II fan, but he's the best positioned true-blood Marik to take the Captain-Generalcy.  The Steiner-Davion-Mariks are strangers to the League and would be viewed as outsiders.  Kenyon has fought for League worlds, serves in the League government, and holds a League noble title.

Which is why I said they would be a puppet for someone wanting to wield the power.  Further, you are talking about 3 or 4 groups in the League who have their history in the Republic-  Augustine Alliance, Covenant Worlds, and to a lesser extent the Clan Protectorate.

So IF Nikol flubbed it enough to bring about a vote of No Confidence, a descendant of Isis Marik COULD be a figurehead for someone else.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #249 on: 16 August 2022, 19:51:57 »
So far Nikol has brought Andurien back into the fold, is for every purpose that should ever matter a Marik, and presided over the recapture of dozens of systems formerly held by the Wolf Empire.  It'd take some pretty ****** serious misteps to burn though all that public good will in favor of literally anyone.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #250 on: 16 August 2022, 19:58:15 »
Regulus, but sure.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #251 on: 16 August 2022, 20:51:22 »
So far Nikol has brought Andurien back into the fold, is for every purpose that should ever matter a Marik, and presided over the recapture of dozens of systems formerly held by the Wolf Empire.  It'd take some pretty ****** serious misteps to burn though all that public good will in favor of literally anyone.

Victory requires no excuse; failure allows none.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #252 on: 16 August 2022, 21:13:37 »
You can put me down on the list for "extremely skeptical" then.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #253 on: 17 August 2022, 06:29:21 »

Andurien is doing it's own thing (taking worlds from the Confederation and allying even closer with the Magistracy) while Nikol is currently presiding over all-out war with the Empire. The question will be how said war will go (and most importanlty when Alaric will drop the wall to defend against the challengers layed around him). If she can take huge swaths of the League back into the fold AND hold it then she will be cemented in her position. Of course there is that small problem (imho) called the Clan Protectorate in the midst of the League (the only member who voted against war with the Empire)

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #254 on: 17 August 2022, 15:21:42 »
Andurien is doing it's own thing (taking worlds from the Confederation and allying even closer with the Magistracy) while Nikol is currently presiding over all-out war with the Empire. The question will be how said war will go (and most importanlty when Alaric will drop the wall to defend against the challengers layed around him). If she can take huge swaths of the League back into the fold AND hold it then she will be cemented in her position. Of course there is that small problem (imho) called the Clan Protectorate in the midst of the League (the only member who voted against war with the Empire)

Typo on my part, should be Regulus.

The post was in response to a hypothetical Isis-Victor descendant sparking a vote of no confidence in Nikol, which I think would be a ludicrous series of events given Nikol's Captain-Generalcy to date.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #255 on: 17 August 2022, 15:36:32 »

I enjoy reading about the League, and don't have the depth of knowledge on affairs there like I do about the FedSuns or Combine.  That being said--Andurien is in an interesting spot right now--I don't see a direct route for them to reintegrate into the League like Regulus did.  If anything, the foreshadowing is for them to have another union with the Magistracy.  For Andurien's sake, I hope it goes better than the first one.....

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #256 on: 17 August 2022, 15:52:51 »
andurien would have to be... convinced to reintegrate. personally, i'm not about overdosing on cyanide so they can stay doing whatever

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #257 on: 17 August 2022, 15:55:57 »
andurien would have to be... convinced to reintegrate. personally, i'm not about overdosing on cyanide so they can stay doing whatever
Wouldn't it makes sense to let Andurien be and work as a buffer between the FWL and Capellans. Besides Andurien probably annoys Cappies anyway, like they do currently...
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #258 on: 17 August 2022, 16:07:12 »
sure does. the dream scenario was for Liao to attempt swallowing andurien and choking to death in the attempt.

the only asset of value to the FWL in than swamp of sorrow is Shiro III

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #259 on: 17 August 2022, 18:11:27 »
sure does. the dream scenario was for Liao to attempt swallowing andurien and choking to death in the attempt.

the only asset of value to the FWL in than swamp of sorrow is Shiro III

I'm curious to see just how close Andurien and Canopus actually are.  I got the impression that Ari is just a tool...and once broken, tools are usually discarded.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #260 on: 18 August 2022, 01:27:50 »
I'm curious to see just how close Andurien and Canopus actually are.  I got the impression that Ari is just a tool...and once broken, tools are usually discarded.

And to add to that Ari and his wife are old and won'T have any heirs so who will inherit the thrones of both realms? Erde's daughter who is currently trying to give the Marian Hegemony a makeover? Then again there might be a Humphrey cadet branch trying to take over. Hasn't the Hegemony some Humphreys in their ranks? Or am I remembering wrong?

Gracus

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #261 on: 19 August 2022, 09:05:43 »
Which is why I said they would be a puppet for someone wanting to wield the power.  Further, you are talking about 3 or 4 groups in the League who have their history in the Republic-  Augustine Alliance, Covenant Worlds, and to a lesser extent the Clan Protectorate.

So IF Nikol flubbed it enough to bring about a vote of No Confidence, a descendant of Isis Marik COULD be a figurehead for someone else.

So you're saying Alaric marries the granddaughter of Victor and Isis, and thus begins the rule of House Steiner-Marik-Ward-Davion over the Free Worlds League as a member state of the Wolf Star Empire League. 
Your stupid little opinion has been duly noted.

No. Shut up. And... *kicks you in the crotch*
Better?  Wink
- Herb

“Did you hear that?”
—Leonus Gracus, Mayor of Tripolus, 100km outside Nova Roma, 6 June 3071

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #262 on: 19 August 2022, 13:42:26 »
Thanks, I hate it.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #263 on: 19 August 2022, 14:32:12 »
Yeah, and if Alaric slips on a bar of soap in the shower we could have ilKhan Stephanie Chistu.  It's not happening.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #264 on: 20 August 2022, 22:26:16 »
Ah Nikol.

Keeps blunting her provinces from doing anything, doesn't do anything herself Federally until her own friend is killed as a result of the War, despite being warned by outsider parties and her own government / intelligence agencies that war was coming so she might as well get it over with. She clearly only puts the League into the full war because her friend died, not because her citizens are legitimately trapped, for over a decade, inside of a Clan State, being forced into castes, having their property seized, and being brainwashed by a bunch of eugenicist madmen.

Had little to do with reacquiring Regulus IIRC? In Hunting Season I'm pretty sure that was arranged by her mother prior to her death (though Nikol was alive when it happened) along with Sea Fox.

While I don't think Nikol is a bad character, I do think she's not a great leader.

But who knows, I'm sure they'll have more books coming out soon for her to be more successful and less incompetent in.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #265 on: 21 August 2022, 08:43:56 »
EA goes to great pains to reinforce the idea that Nikol wants to avoid war with the Wolves at almost any cost, so I can understand why she tiptoed into the conflict inside of just biting the bullet and kicking in the door.  I agree with your assessment that she hasn't been shown to be a good leader yet, though.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #266 on: 21 August 2022, 20:04:30 »
EA goes to great pains to reinforce the idea that Nikol wants to avoid war with the Wolves at almost any cost, so I can understand why she tiptoed into the conflict inside of just biting the bullet and kicking in the door.  I agree with your assessment that she hasn't been shown to be a good leader yet, though.

Yeah, read Dark Age books, why she was chosen over siblings is in those books.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #267 on: 22 August 2022, 07:51:02 »
Those rationalizations mean nothing to me because I'm one of those people who dislike the Halas "Mariks" because they're not *actually* Mariks.

I know all the arguments about demonstrated leadership,  marriage vs blood, historical precedents, etc.  Weve all hashed those out in these threads before.  But at its core, the Inner Sphere is about five dynasties duking it out so I'd like our leadership to actually be part of *our* dynasty.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #268 on: 22 August 2022, 08:58:05 »
Then you cannot say she is not a good leader, merely the leader you do not want.  I would also point out that while the same 'House' might be managing the 5 nations, only the Cappies and Lyrans are in the same 'branch' as 3025 and the Lyrans are only that way b/c Trillian was selected as the last minute save.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
« Reply #269 on: 22 August 2022, 13:57:05 »
Sure I can.  We already covered how she has completely ignored the advice of every advisor about getting into acton with the Wolves despite conflict being literally inevitable. 

For comparison, I didn't like Sun Yzu as a person but I can admit he was a great leader.