Register Register

Author Topic: The original plan for Operation SILVER SHIELD succeeds?  (Read 3999 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: The original plan for Operation SILVER SHIELD succeeds?
« Reply #60 on: 24 August 2022, 13:14:43 »
 1. Not sure about a month long comm blackout. If you could time it right, well you could be landing troops on all worlds at the same time. I would also look at Inglesmond, they did have several million tons of warship hulls under construction when the DCMS came a calling in 2787. Be up to you to decide what those several million tons wind up as exactly, if you can save the shipyards. Prob Destroyers or Corvettes.

2. Why not just renumber the Divisions and Regiments. 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th etc. Or, you could spend the year while building transports etc since Kerensky sucked them all up and do a major reorganization. Break all the other BM Division down but the 151st Royal BM Division (it stays on Terra at 100% strength). Create Mech Inf Division with them, that would create an additional 3 Divisions to your troop count. Easier to train grunts than Mechwarriors. Though this sort of hurts morale as troops really get attached to their unit heritage. Plus sweet talk the 79th MID and 123rd MID

2 Inf Brigade
 1 BM Brigade
 1 Armor Brigade
 1 Cavalry Regiment (1 BM Batt, 1 VTOL/Hover Batt, 1 Inf Batt)

That is all without dipping into your reserve right off the get go. My estimation is most opposition will come Marik and Combine, mainly Combine unless you wait until the Combine invades the Fed Suns to move into their "claimed" territory.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #61 on: 24 August 2022, 16:24:01 »
A major aim of my operational planning has focused on avoiding major conflict with the Successor States at that time therefore any world with a significant House military presence, like Inglesmond, would be omitted from Silver Shield. Battles are also occurring currently on Caph and Saffel which I would also avoid even with the situation in doubt for who exactly controls these worlds. While it is wise to avoid a large-scale battle which could ensure reprisals it is also a paramount political consideration given ComStar's avowed neutrality pledge.

You've basically hit on my reorganization plan to boost the number of ComStar Divisions to 13 (from the canon eight) by codifying these formations with a 3 BattleMech regiment core (39 in total only up 2 from the alluded canon total) assisted by vehicles, infantry, and fighters. This doesn't take into account additional 'mercenaries' that could be 'created' for the scenario to do any dirty work that is needed. This could be another 5 to 10 regiments assembled from reserves (veterans lured back to service by C-bills) or other various soldiers of fortune which would likely be lurking around. Maybe even some hired to provide security for rebuilding worlds already. These could augment our 'Shield Forces'. Also let's not forget regional or local powers like the Sirian Concordance.

The Sirian Solution
[In canon, the Concordance didn’t ‘join’ the Free Worlds League until 2793 which does give the Protectorate an early opportunity to add more worlds during its initial formation via diplomacy.] Fast paced negotiations during the Terran campaign by the Chief Administrator of Procyon, located within the Concordance, focused on the benefits of joining the Protectorate. The alternative of ‘joining’ Captain-General Kenyon Marik in the Free Worlds League was pointed out to Sirius, Procyon, Graham IV, and Pollux if they failed to act. With the recent example of the Death of New Dallas serving as a harsh reminder to decide quickly lest the Eagle fall upon them next if they delayed the Concordance elected to join the Protectorate. As a result, the Sirian Lancers (3 regiments) became the 14th Division of the ComStar Expeditionary Forces. Mitchell Graham, the leader of Sirius, carries out the negotiations with the ComStar during the Terran campaign. This regional authority which has increased in power after the Exodus is courting Great House support but has yet to declare for any side in the Succession War.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: 24 August 2022, 17:33:07 »
 Inglesmond did not have a DCMS presence until 2787 or so. Inglesmond had actually been helping other "Hegemony" systems beat back the DCMS on other worlds.

So, your gonna create the Sirian Lancers early? That works. Maybe start at the day after EXODUS check 1st SW book and see what all former SLDF commands joined Houses in 2785 and beyond, maybe you can sweet talk them into staying.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #63 on: 25 August 2022, 05:05:35 »
Inglesmond did not have a DCMS presence until 2787 or so. Inglesmond had actually been helping other "Hegemony" systems beat back the DCMS on other worlds.

Unfortunately, this is 2788 when Operation Silver Shield is being planned. Inglesmond hasn't fallen yet (2789) but by the time Blake concluded his Communications Protocols (2787) it did. Other regional powers like New Dallas suffered a similar fate in 2787 when House Marik attacked and Lone Star is currently desperately attempting to combat the Dragon Plague as well right now. While they don't fall until 2789 they seem to be under the Dragon's gaze.

So, your gonna create the Sirian Lancers early? That works. Maybe start at the day after EXODUS check 1st SW book and see what all former SLDF commands joined Houses in 2785 and beyond, maybe you can sweet talk them into staying.

I wouldn't say I am creating them early. They already exist but yes essentially they could join before the League gets them. Many, if not all, worlds targeted here by ComStar have significant friendly assets aiding an expanded Silver Shield IMO.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 25 August 2022, 06:35:08 »
Would the Houses tolerate a month long communication blackout? Not sure if they can do anything at this point. Do they know how to operate a HPG? And more importantly do they have spare parts? While the aftermath of Operation Scorpion in 3052 seem to indicate that the Houses could operate the HPG's without problem I don't think they could. The HPG's were always under the control of the SL so once glitches appear the HPG's become nothing more then big paperweights.

And let's not forget later on some Houses would separately suffer under a year long blackout and they couldn't do anything about it I assume this might happen here too though at this point the IS is at it's peak of technology.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 25 August 2022, 06:38:03 »
 Okay, I could only find a TOE readout on the Sirian Lancers for 2821, usually, if they exist prior you get a 2765 and such.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #66 on: 25 August 2022, 14:11:18 »
Just to be clear this will be ComStar’s first interdiction – a full shut down of the HPG Network – which was never been done before. While the system may have been brought down by Amaris during the Coup this purposeful service directive to halt interstellar communications Sphere wide by its controlling body is a unique first. In canon this action was taken for three days (72 hours) and covered the seizure of the Sol system by ComStar. For a wider conquest of the Core Worlds, as many as 27 additional star systems, like I am proposing we need a longer blackout. Or do we, please feel free to argue the entire premise? Perhaps a week to three weeks as ComStar Expeditionary Forces occupy each with opposition from the Great Houses.

Another good question is what is the state of the HPG Network in 2788 when Silver Shield goes down? We know that the Periphery Uprising and the Amaris Coup badly damaged interstellar communications prior to the Succession Wars. Given collateral damage from all these conflicts I’d expect many worlds in the Periphery and in the former Hegemony to be without HPG service. Would an interdiction there really mean much and how much do the Houses rely on this system to relay orders militarily? Or is it more civilian use in nature with other methods being used to transmit ultra-sensitive instructions.

Could the Houses run their HPGs? For a time, I think they could. Their limitations would probably include a lack of skilled technicians to operate the equipment possible hampering operations. This could run the gambit from simple errors to slower message time to severe breakage resulting in complete blackout. Takeovers could also open themselves to espionage efforts like the kind suffered by Amaris during the Liberation. A big question for me is what about international communications - how would House Companies or Agencies interact with each other? The most concerning thing IMO is a lack of high-tech parts that may not be readily available to effect repairs.

The Successor States are already deeply committed to military operations against each other and a takeover of the HPG network would be a major undertaking that could hamper these endeavors.

Okay, I could only find a TOE readout on the Sirian Lancers for 2821, usually, if they exist prior you get a 2765 and such.

Information for the formation of the Sirian Lancers comes right from the original House Marik SB for me.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 26 August 2022, 02:43:08 »
Small correction: Amaris didn't initate a full HPG blackout of the IS. He initialzed a full Blackout of the Hegemony. The houses could communicate with each other but traffic through the Hegemony "vanished". This blackout lasted for over a month which caused havoc on the SL bureaucracy outside the Hegemony and also threw the economy of the IS into turmoil.

In case of a bigger Silvershield I would suspect that a full blackout would be necessary. Give the Houses a taste of fear while you set up shop on the planets you want. Also it throws their coordination ability over board so any potential attacks would be hasty and uncoordinated.

Many Periphery worlds lost their HPG's and Blake didn't bother to rebuild them later as it wasn't viable in terms of economy. He also wrote of HPG's on Terra itself. The only HPG site on Terra that got restored was the one in Hilton Head. For the other stations in the Hegemony most of them survived the war but needed the infrastructure restored to work again.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 04 October 2022, 00:50:39 »
I will argue ypu might not need a total HPG blackout, how much damage can you do by messing with order to units in the area?  And select planets might suffer random system failures during the opening phase.  I would rather keep the blackout option available if they need to help secure the planets.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 04 October 2022, 07:42:03 »
Coming in a little late and haven't read all the posts but I think if Blake had tried to take more worlds he could have held them. He certainly had enough troops to do so. I don't think that many more would have left. If they were, they'd of done so by then. So Blake would have lots of troops at his disposal to occupy and hold several worlds. However, in doing so he'd of destroyed Comstar's neutrality. The Houses wouldn't have trusted him. Terra they could let him have a HQ for Comstar. They'd get Terra later once they show the others just who is really the new First Lord of the Star League. The rest of the former Hegemony is abandoned and up for grabs. If Comstar tries to take them, Blake might as well be declaring himself First Lord.

I also don't believe an interdiction at that point would have been as effective either because people in the Houses knew how to operate the HPGs. Current and former employees who would be more loyal to their House than to Comstar. It isn't until later once Comstar was the only one who knew how operate and build HPGs does an Interdiction become a truly scary thing. Yes, it would have messed up their economy but the House Lords could have ended it. They would have had to. The alternative is to allow a sixth House access to their communications. Later, the only ones who could end it would be Comstar but then the House Lords could and would have done it.

I think what would have happened, if Comstar takes more worlds, is that each of the House Lords, order Blake be removed as Minister of Communications and move to secure the HPGs in their boarders. This would slow the start of the Succession Wars as they'd all be busy securing their internal communications from an enemy power. It would slow the progress of the war, as HPGs become target of war with many being destroyed. Communication to many planets, especially border worlds, becomes courier only. Eventually, HPGs would be put on the "Do not attack" list but by then, the damage would be done.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #70 on: 04 October 2022, 21:08:40 »
Any expansion of a ComStar Protectorate could of course draw the ire of the House Lords. That is why my objective has been to carefully avoid any direct confrontations with the Successor States during this larger Silver Shield. At largest this Protectorate could be no larger than two dozen worlds all within two jumps of Terra. Any bigger or direct combat with a foreign military force (other than a Hegemony remanent) risks a direct backlash that Blake would avoid.

I doubt the High Council would get together to remove Blake although that might be an interesting alternate in itself. Would Blake wear a black hat to spur renewed unity in the Star League? Is that even possible..

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #71 on: 04 October 2022, 21:35:35 »
Any expansion of a ComStar Protectorate could of course draw the ire of the House Lords. That is why my objective has been to carefully avoid any direct confrontations with the Successor States during this larger Silver Shield. At largest this Protectorate could be no larger than two dozen worlds all within two jumps of Terra. Any bigger or direct combat with a foreign military force (other than a Hegemony remanent) risks a direct backlash that Blake would avoid.

I doubt the High Council would get together to remove Blake although that might be an interesting alternate in itself. Would Blake wear a black hat to spur renewed unity in the Star League? Is that even possible..

Just taking those planets would be enough to provoke combat with the House Lords though. He got away with raiding them because the House Lords knew Blake would keep those things safe while they dealt with the others. They'd deal with him and his insolence later. He also got away with Terra as neutral territory for Comstar's HQ. Taking other worlds though goes way beyond his role as the Minister of Communications. That's empire building and they can't have that.

I don't think the House Lords would get together either. I think individually, as self declared, First Lords they'd strip him of his position and order his arrest. They'd have trouble enforcing it outside their realm but that would be good enough for their citizenry and make it difficult for Blake to do anything outside Comstar's territory.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #72 on: 07 October 2022, 13:58:01 »
They'd also seize all the HPGs in their territory rather than allow ComStar to operate them. The version that's a supposedly neutral power that has no territorial goals could be tolerated, but not a neighboring nation.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #73 on: 07 October 2022, 14:10:03 »
Ultimately this is why Blake chose to abandon a larger Hegemony land grab. Risk outweighed the reward. However, I think there is some thin ice on which to skate here. The original Silver Shield plan called for grabbing as much as ComStar could and by 2787 that ain't much. Two dozen shell shocked worlds in need of a lot of rebuilding isn't much of a prize especially if your just banking them until the next First Lord is named.

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 10 October 2022, 07:17:09 »
Ultimately this is why Blake chose to abandon a larger Hegemony land grab. Risk outweighed the reward. However, I think there is some thin ice on which to skate here. The original Silver Shield plan called for grabbing as much as ComStar could and by 2787 that ain't much. Two dozen shell shocked worlds in need of a lot of rebuilding isn't much of a prize especially if your just banking them until the next First Lord is named.

From the books Silver Shield sounds as if Blake wanted to secure nearly the entire Hegemony. But as you said at the point silver Shield wa slaunched it was way too late for that. there might have been the chance to secure a small ring around Terra but that would have been it. and those worlds were most likely either ravaged or disorganized. Though in terms of military there might have been organized milita units akin to some of the units that gave the Houses a run for their money (like the New Dallas milita)

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #75 on: 19 October 2022, 00:27:35 »

2 Dozen is exactly what you get if you claim Terra & every world w/in 30 LY of Terra.

The entire TH was 100+ I think and well beyond what he could secure even if the houses hadn't already been invading.

Claiming a radius of only 15 LY allowing Warships to go from 1 border to another in a single jump & return w/ LFB if needed drops you down to Terra+8 which is honestly about the most I could see Blake being able to hold w/ what he had.

Conventiently those 8 have a few very nice factory worlds between New Earth, Caph, & Keid.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #76 on: 19 October 2022, 04:38:14 »
Conventiently those 8 have a few very nice factory worlds between New Earth, Caph, & Keid.

Caph was already under attack by three Houses (Kurita, Davion, and Liao) so was left off of my list despite being a First Circuit world.

Register