Register Register

Author Topic: The Palmyra Disaster  (Read 3957 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The Palmyra Disaster
« Reply #90 on: 21 January 2021, 12:40:11 »
I just want him to be closer to the MWDA and Bonfire stories.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Desu Vult

• Private
« Reply #91 on: 21 January 2021, 14:17:20 »
Fair enough, I am not terribly familiar with that period, but I figured since they actually gained Victoria and it's factories, it could be argued to be a win.

Victoria was a clear Federated Suns victory and was spelled out as such, the largest Capellan gain was in diplomacy since they used diplomacy to stop the FedSun advance after being militarily defeated, losing a vital world, and losing large arms reserves.

This definition is why I was saying you won't let anything be a defeat, this "definition" lets you say that since you didn't get the sense from a novel that a side was losing, they didn't lose. Battletech isn't great for applying traditional war results to I agree, however, using that to declare that the defined definitions are now meaningless and you get to redefine "Victory" leaves us without an argument. Whatever you decide is victory is victory and whatever you feel like is defeat is defeat, and nothing anybody else says can change your stance because you get to define terms.

There are no previously defined definitions, I am not redefining anything.  Why do you keep declaring what my stance is or say that I am doing something or won't do something?  I gave you what I thought was a fair explanation of what I consider victory, I included several references and examples.  I provided what I thought to be a decent insight into my perception of the conflicts and their results so that discussion could be had.  You have thus far not reciprocated in discussing in any manner.  Can you reciprocate and tell me what you consider to be victories in Battletech and why? 

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #92 on: 21 January 2021, 15:39:32 »
Victoria War was not a FedSuns victory, rather a Capellan March . . . Amanda rolled that one out on her own.  But you are also forgetting the other side of the Suns, where the Draconis March has lost a lot of long time worlds into the Draconis Reach- a place they have been trading the worlds back & forth for a few decades before the Dark Ages.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #93 on: 21 January 2021, 17:15:55 »
Victoria War also reason why Amanda got her head shopped off.  Revenge bitter beast with the Capellans.

The Disaster sort trigger the fall in away of the FedSuns until Julian arrived.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

vaderi

• Sergeant
  • Halfbearded Pirate
« Reply #94 on: 22 January 2021, 09:19:36 »
There are no previously defined definitions, I am not redefining anything.  Why do you keep declaring what my stance is or say that I am doing something or won't do something?  I gave you what I thought was a fair explanation of what I consider victory, I included several references and examples.  I provided what I thought to be a decent insight into my perception of the conflicts and their results so that discussion could be had.  You have thus far not reciprocated in discussing in any manner.  Can you reciprocate and tell me what you consider to be victories in Battletech and why?

From Wikipedia (I know, string me up for using Wikipedia as a source  :-[ but it's simpler than teasing the definition out of several obscure sources)
A strategic victory is a victory that brings long-term advantage to the victor and disturbs the enemy's ability to wage a war.
This is the definition of "Victory" that I use, specifically it's the common definition when dealing with the question of who "won" a war. A defeat

A list of victories and defeats for Battletech
4th Succession War - Victory for  FedSuns and Draconis Combine(due to Rasalhague independence)
War of 3039 - Victory for Draconis Combine
Clan Invasion - Defeat for all parties involved, If you want to debate this, fair enough but I think you'd have a hard time finding a victor and not a survivor
Capellan-St.Ives War - Victory for Capellan Confederation
FedCom Civil War - Defeat for Both parties involved, the people who win Civil wars are the neighboring states so in this case the Victors were everybody not in the FedCom
Jihad - Victory for Stone and Loss for everyone else
Andurien Secession - Victory for Capellan Confederation
Steiner, where money and mediocrity meet caring.

Templar87

• Corporal
« Reply #95 on: 22 January 2021, 11:38:15 »
Victoria was a clear Federated Suns victory and was spelled out as such,

Err, no it wasn't. As described in Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, the Victoria War was an embarrassing defeat for the Federated Suns, made slightly less embarrassing by managing to hold on to Victoria even with the factories there wrecked (and, ultimately, a damning indictment of both Yvonne and Harrison as rulers, since the whole reason Amanda Hasek did it in the way she did was that she didn't believe she could count on support if she tried putting the idea to New Avalon, thanks to Yvonne's lousy judgement (notably not just retaining that gutless traitor Jackson Davion but promoting him, which tells the Capellan and Draconis Marches immediately that they cannot trust New Avalon anymore), and Harrison's actions proved entirely right since his response was to cripple the defence of the Capellan March until forced to support them).
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 22 January 2021, 12:05:11 »

Err, no it wasn't. As described in Historical: Wars of the Republic Era, the Victoria War was an embarrassing defeat for the Federated Suns, made slightly less embarrassing by managing to hold on to Victoria even with the factories there wrecked (and, ultimately, a damning indictment of both Yvonne and Harrison as rulers, since the whole reason Amanda Hasek did it in the way she did was that she didn't believe she could count on support if she tried putting the idea to New Avalon, thanks to Yvonne's lousy judgement (notably not just retaining that gutless traitor Jackson Davion but promoting him, which tells the Capellan and Draconis Marches immediately that they cannot trust New Avalon anymore), and Harrison's actions proved entirely right since his response was to cripple the defence of the Capellan March until forced to support them).

Agreed, Victoria War was a defeat--capturing the world allowed the veneer of pyrrhic victory.

Side note--I think we should get back on OP topic--the Palmyra disaster. 

On the idea of RCT v. LCT--do people think Brigade of Guards regiments might be reconstituted as LCTs?  I personally hate the LCT--it sets up ALWAYS being outnumbered--reminiscent of the 4th Succession war when you'd have two Liao battalions facing off against 3 Davion mech regiments on nearly every world.

That being said, its better to have an LCT than no unit at all...

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #97 on: 22 January 2021, 12:23:58 »
As I said earlier, I think we will see the flagship national formations come back before any others . . . and at enough strength they can be expected to survive rather than be just a token that gets wiped out causing a loss of morale.  FREX, at least a mixed battalion of mechs, armor and BA rather than a single company of mechs being 'the Davion Heavy Guards' on the roster.

Splinter, Shattered Fortress and the HotW interlude all talk about the morale of the FedSuns populace and confidence in the government having economic impacts.  Julian is needing to signal the realm is ascendant if in reality he is going to be able to hold on let alone recover.  So 'Davion' identified units need to be returned to the active duty rosters- Davion Heavy Guards, 2nd Davion Guards, and 3rd Davion Heavy Guards would all be first prob as some part of the LCT concept with the intention to get them to RCT strength.  After that I think you start considering the two Avalon Hussars and 2nd FS Cav . . . and the ONLY reason I include the 2FSAC is that they should be a very survivable command for raiding and will draw on other mechs than the DHG, 2DG, 3DG or Avalon Hussars would want.

Now here is a different part of that question . . .

Should Julian offer another planet to the Sea Foxes to secure the equipment needed to reform the 3 Davion units as really weak LCTs?  2 companies mechs, 1 armor BN, 1 BA/INF BN?
Colt Ward

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 22 January 2021, 13:35:14 »
Should Julian offer another planet to the Sea Foxes to secure the equipment needed to reform the 3 Davion units as really weak LCTs?  2 companies mechs, 1 armor BN, 1 BA/INF BN?

Tough call.  If a planet means an RCT has fresh equipment, I think at this time he can't say no.  But too many planets mean the Foxes will eventually carve out a mini realm--especially if they are close together.  I would think no more than two per March. 

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #99 on: 22 January 2021, 14:42:13 »
Tough call.  If a planet means an RCT has fresh equipment, I think at this time he can't say no.  But too many planets mean the Foxes will eventually carve out a mini realm--especially if they are close together.  I would think no more than two per March.

The Foxes are not interesting in territorial bubbles but rather they seem to be laying claim to important worlds for trade & trade routes . . . which says bad things for the FedSuns economic future since revenue flows through trade.  But the FedSuns have to have a future to worry about future economic policy.
Colt Ward

five_corparty

• Master Sergeant
  • Say it, Admiral! Say the line!
« Reply #100 on: 27 February 2021, 15:39:23 »
But the FedSuns have to have a future to worry about future economic policy.

Perfectly said. :-)

I don't see them rebuilding units while their lives depend on it, but YES, the moment they've booted the Kuriatians out, certain units -DBoG- get built as RCTs to backstop the AvHussars and such getting rebuilt as LCTs at first.  As they get stronger, LCTs become RCTS: i don't think they WANT LCTs anymore, but as many of youse guys have said, they need the flags out front for morale.

more behind the curtain: It's also a great way to get good leaders out and in charge quickly: if you got a veteran unit with an awesome col, 3 great BN CDRs an a pack of awesome majors, spinning off a bunch of them gets veteran leaders building new commands instead of having all the brains in one bucket.  that's more fluff than anything, but it would be an important part of rebuilding the AFFS as a WHOLE, not just a regiment at a time.
"Inside the Army, we squabble about which part of the Army gets the most stuff.  After a while, some really important general comes down and tells us to knock it off and 'cooperate.' If we don’t, the bad people will whack us and even the Air Force won’t be able to bail us out. This is called 'combined arms.' "  FM 3-0 Operations (Simple Version: "Doctrine for Dummies")

five_corparty

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: 27 February 2021, 15:46:38 »
as too marrying, you are all spot on: trillian needs to pop out some dismounts with some loyal steiner dude (probably someone from coventry or hesperus) and Julian needs some heirs as well.  Story wise, if I had to take a GUESS, I'm thinking some Fivlet royal to pull them back into the fold.  a Kurita or Capcom marriage (unless to some random heir, like Isis Marik was- eighth in line or whatever) won't happen because I don't see catalyst wanting to have to run down ANOTHER civil war!  ;) ;D

buuuuttt.... some random Lioa duchess of tall trees or whatever?  in order to secure the border and a cease-fire in the face of an ilClan?  i can see Danoi and Jullian agreeing to something like that- she marries the duke of Gulkana, he gets the duchess of ovan, and they've secured the border for about a century?  NOONE is happy, but this is Battletech, not RomanceTech, and sometimes life gives you alligators and so you make some gatoraid.  8) ;D
"Inside the Army, we squabble about which part of the Army gets the most stuff.  After a while, some really important general comes down and tells us to knock it off and 'cooperate.' If we don’t, the bad people will whack us and even the Air Force won’t be able to bail us out. This is called 'combined arms.' "  FM 3-0 Operations (Simple Version: "Doctrine for Dummies")

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 27 February 2021, 16:08:25 »
Whatever happened to the lady from Chesterton that Amanda Hasek was trying to set Julian up with? Sandra Fenton?  Obviously there was no real chemistry there, but needs must when the dragon drives. Callandre, on the other hand, there was chemistry there, but the hypergolic kind.  And she’s disappeared en route to Poulsbo, apparently.  ‘Twould be nice if she dropped in Big Damn Heroes style to assist in the reconquest of New Avalon, though.  I mean, I’d prefer the Pope of the New Avalon Catholic Church leading the recently-expanded Holy Order of Knight Defenders, but that’s neither here nor there.

Edit: Where is the bit about Julian piloting a Marauder II?  I don’t see it anywhere in the Marauder II Rec Guide entry.
« Last Edit: 27 February 2021, 16:29:28 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

GuyIncognito

• Corporal
« Reply #103 on: 27 February 2021, 16:37:54 »
It is in Battlerech Legends.

five_corparty

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 27 February 2021, 18:43:13 »
It is in Battlerech Legends.
what is this?  a book, a TRO?  I missed this!  :'( :'(

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #105 on: 27 February 2021, 19:37:58 »
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #106 on: 28 February 2021, 02:53:01 »
it was part of the kickstarter. the DTF/PDF will come eventually. probably too late for the special edition but it's definitely going to be around

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 28 February 2021, 14:59:26 »
Hmm, I need to go check through my kickstarter stuff.  I think I missed that one, somehow.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #108 on: 28 February 2021, 15:12:23 »
Hmm, I need to go check through my kickstarter stuff.  I think I missed that one, somehow.

Same here, although I read it once, so I must have it, but I can't find the .pdf in my normal folder. How do we find our digital content on the kickstarter page? It's not very friendly

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Sergeant
« Reply #109 on: 01 March 2021, 15:28:08 »
Same here, although I read it once, so I must have it, but I can't find the .pdf in my normal folder. How do we find our digital content on the kickstarter page? It's not very friendly

It is not on CrowdOx but within on the CGL store in the digital cornucopia (https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/clan-invasion-kickstarter-bundle) as a backer you should have the Code to download it for free

So check your CGL store account

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #110 on: 01 March 2021, 16:59:57 »
It is not on CrowdOx but within on the CGL store in the digital cornucopia (https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/clan-invasion-kickstarter-bundle) as a backer you should have the Code to download it for free

So check your CGL store account

Thank you. I ultimately did find it once I found the e-mail with the instructions in it, it just took me forever to find that e-mail. :) I would have never thought to look in my catalyst store page.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #111 on: 01 March 2021, 18:44:16 »
Thank you. I ultimately did find it once I found the e-mail with the instructions in it, it just took me forever to find that e-mail. :) I would have never thought to look in my catalyst store page.

I went through the same problem.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

five_corparty

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 02 March 2021, 19:15:16 »
same, faith walked me through the fix.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #113 on: 03 March 2021, 07:43:22 »
What level of KS are you folks?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #114 on: 03 March 2021, 16:58:48 »
What level of KS are you folks?

Star Colonel

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 03 March 2021, 19:23:55 »
Star Colonel also.
Sunrise is Coming.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #116 on: 03 March 2021, 19:33:25 »
galaxy commander. the opportunity to befoul the BTU with my face was too good to pass up. whoever modified the crappy picture i took did amazing work. i can tell how close to a haircut i was.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #117 on: 03 March 2021, 21:22:50 »
Star Colonel
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

five_corparty

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #118 on: 03 March 2021, 22:33:38 »
Star Colonel as well.  the credit card just couldn't take any hit higher that close to Christmas!  :'( :'(  ;D