Register Register

Author Topic: What are perks in living in Draconis Combine?  (Read 1185 times)

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
What are perks in living in Draconis Combine?
« on: 01 July 2022, 04:08:59 »
While I have been fan of Draconis Combine for over 20 years I just realized that I have no idea what are perks in living in Draconis Combine. So what exactly are perks living in Draconis Combine compared to living in any other Successor State?
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
Re: What are perks in living in Draconis Combine?
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2022, 04:41:04 »
Define what you want to live as in the Combine. Because if you are a worker or unproductive then sucks to suck work harder or suffer. For example if you work for a big company you are in essence an indenturedworking slave. You sleep in a company owned home buy in a company owned store and will be buried in a company owned graveyard. Oh and working hours are literally from dusk till dawn. Maybe you have more luck as a goverment official or soldier in the DCMS

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2022, 06:22:41 »
Ah I see. It does really show how little I have known about them and what normal citizen's life in Draconis Combine is like. 
Star Captain John Kerensky, 7th Battle Cluster (The Blood-Drinkers), Gamma Galaxy, Clan Wolf 

Chu-sa Jiro Takahashi, 11th Legion of Vega (Swiftness of Wind), Draconis Combine

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2022, 06:24:49 »
I'm going to take what Metallgewitter just said and put the positive spin on it. In part because you are looking for perks.

The corporate culture in the Combine is that you can spend your entire life at one employer. That could literally mean being born being raised in a company school, living in company housing. Rising up through the ranks of the company. Spending a lot of time with your company out-side of just working.

It's not all great, these company men (and it is often men in the Combine) often don't have a lot of time for family life. It's a male dominated culture where the wife often raises the children and doesn't see her husband very much. But there is the potential for a lifelong job/career and correspondingly a sense of belonging.

As Metallgewitter indicated, it's not all great. If you get fired for some reason you probably won't find another job and will either become an unproductive, join the DCMS or literally starve to death (as in literally, as in its a tradition to starve yourself to death, which is seen as accepting the natural ending of your life, almost like a civilian seppuku, and it allows that person to receive a proper funeral, and the potential remains that the family will be able to find a job at that or another company).

I've always found the corporate culture side of life one of the most fascinating aspects of the Combine. It caught my attention back in the days when I had a job that in no way resembled what it offered. Then I ended up working someplace that in some ways does remind me of Combine corporate culture.

In real life I have experienced many different jobs (and a few different careers). Most of the time I got eventually laid off and that was only after working a year or three. Other places it was easy to find part-time work but very difficult to find a full-time job. So I was juggling multiple part-time jobs to make ends meet and that was my reality for several years.

In 2021 I got a highly coveted full-time job at a place that almost reminds me of a Combine corporation. It's never laid off full time staff ever (the few times a position has disappeared or changed, I've seen that person be given other duties and retained), has excellent benefits (literally the best most comprehensive benefits I've ever seen, I'm always awe struck at how cheap my prescriptions are now), people stay for the long run. The salary is just so-so but it's comfortable.

It was difficult to get a full-time position where I work (part of the reality of them never laying full-time people off, is that they rarely hire full-time people), but once you did get that position, people generally stay in those until they retire or die.

With that comes a whole different mentality about the workplace. I accustomed to not spending any time getting to know my coworkers beyond the pleasantries. But in this job, I recognize that I could have a lot of the same coworkers 10-20 years from now. So, I make more of an effort to get to know them and their families and their lives and most people do.

Since this employer has a longer-term outlook on employment, they aren't trying to burn people out. We go through intense/busy periods for sure, sometimes exhaustingly so, but then there is a notable emphasis on telling everyone to recharge and rest when the slow-down periods happen.

It's work I love to do; I'd go so far as to say it's my passion, at a place where, short of me doing something horrifically wrong that requires disciplinary action, I could spend the rest of my working life there and then retire comfortably, it even has an old-school pension (not enough to fully retire on just that, one piece of the retirement puzzle).

I very much believe job insecurity is a real thing. That sense of worrying if you'll have a job. Worrying if you'll get laid off. Then getting laid off and feeling like you are a failure. Literally grieving a lost job like a lost loved one. I've experienced all of that in my working life.

All that has made me very appreciative of the position I have now and the sense of security and community it offers.

So circling back to the sci fi universe. For Combine corporate culture, something akin to this is more the norm than the exception for Combine companies. I can see "perks" in that.

I don't claim it's perfect. But everything is relative. That poor sucker over in Lyran or Davion space, changing jobs every few years, working at places that don't care if they burn you out...they might look at this aspect of Combine life and see something positive about it. Even if they just flat out hate House Kurita for obvious reasons.

If you really want to learn more about Combine culture and life, get Handbook: House Kurita. It covers this and many other topics.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2022, 06:28:58 by Alan Grant »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2022, 06:36:10 »
Work for the glory of the Dragon and space-samurai!
You need more? Back to work you ungrateful unproductive.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2022, 10:48:38 »
The perk of living in the Draconis Combine is you are not a Capellan.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2022, 12:56:56 »
To add something: there is a funny note in the Chandrasekhar Kurita chapter of the Interstellar Players 2 book: Kurita founded his own company (Hachiman Taro Enterprises) and began to employ what other Kuritan companies called "Lyran tactics" : paying high wages, using said high wages to poach other workers from rivals and also reducing the working hours from the standard 12 hours a day to i think it was 10 or even 8 hours a day which caused the CEO of his rival company going nearly insane. I think this also caused other companies to slightly better the working conditions for their workers.

When it comes to family the Kurita source book stated that an early Coordinator encouraged his citizens to have many children and those with many children were rewarded. It became normal for that time that families had 10 to 15 children. And while in modern times you find women in high positions (like for example the 2nd Genyosha had a female CO) women are still more likely to be mothers and are expected to be a dutiful wife.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2022, 13:38:45 by Metallgewitter »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2022, 13:40:32 »
So circling back to the sci fi universe. For Combine corporate culture, something akin to this is more the norm than the exception for Combine companies. I can see "perks" in that.

I don't claim it's perfect. But everything is relative. That poor sucker over in Lyran or Davion space, changing jobs every few years, working at places that don't care if they burn you out...they might look at this aspect of Combine life and see something positive about it. Even if they just flat out hate House Kurita for obvious reasons.

If you really want to learn more about Combine culture and life, get Handbook: House Kurita. It covers this and many other topics.

One stunt that would be good for corporate culture, would be a free cafeteria at the corporate building.  You wake up, get dressed, come to work, get a breakfast (either to eat on-site or take to your desk), and get to work.  For lunch, you pop down to grab one of several freshly-made lunches, and eat it at your discretion.  Dinner is the same.  You don't have to worry about cooking at home before and after work, and every meal is made by a good chef to be tasty and healthy.  The cooking crew has been working for the company with a predefined set of promotions/replacements, so new people are hired as the lowest position in the kitchen then are steadily trained and promoted based on their skills.

For relaxation, the corporate karaoke bars and onsen/steam rooms allow for a way to be casual.  In the steam room the person sitting to your left is the CEO, and he is talking with the janitor about how things are going with the other's family.  Officially you know it is the CEO, but since everyone is wearing a towel the atmosphere is far more relaxed as everyone in the room is officially equal.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2022, 16:44:51 »
One benefit is that you won't be invaded by the Draconis Combine.

Another benefit is you have a chance of joining the Rasalhague Dominion.

butchbird

• Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2022, 18:02:27 »
Perks for living in the combine...

Something that has always struck me of combine culture are the lesser tenets of the dictum honorium. If these are truely applied in most citizens common life, it makes for a rather healthy basis to society.

Considering most draconians are thouroughly indoctrinated and probably (for most lower castes, make that "most definitely") have no access to "subversive litterature", the fact you spend your life to the betterment of the domain of a "living demi-god" (of a reptilian and magical nature at that) can probably be considered a perk...I mean who wouldn't want to have a dragon as a boss?

If I'm not mistaken you also get free education and healthcare, altough the access to these depend highly on your caste and localization (building schools and clinics is probably pretty low in terms of priority in most regions of draconian space), and the caste system is pretty rigid, social mobility being rather null (unlike the cappelan caste system, for example, which uses the word "caste" in a purely misinformative way for the amusement of all capellans). 

Gribbly

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2022, 18:49:13 »
Factors affecting quality of life are going to vary as much between cities/worlds within the Combine as between Combine worlds and those in other states. None of the Great Houses are complete monocultures, and there's as much variety on each planet as another, regardless of state.

GuyIncognito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2022, 19:16:34 »
Not living under Clan rule.

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2022, 22:28:55 »
Not living under Clan rule.

for a good number of years the combine couldn't even promise THAT :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2022, 02:43:36 »
One benefit is that you won't be invaded by the Draconis Combine.

Another benefit is you have a chance of joining the Rasalhague Dominion.

Free invasion every time the Black Dragons forget that you shouldn't taunt the Happy Fun Bears.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SlightlyIrritatedCat

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 02 July 2022, 11:24:24 »
While this is politics adjacent it goes back to understanding how the Houses were originally created.  Imperial Japan was directly used as inspiration for the Draconis Combine, put aside later attempts to put a nice humanitarian face on them.  They were meant to be rigidly authoritarian and totalitarian with a harsh and oppressive culture that was extremely class driven.  And yet that does not mean people can't be content within that culture.  Referencing back to the inspiration of the DC, Imperial Japan, their population was not a bunch of miserable, terrorized, peons who lived in constant fear.  Overall the population of Imperial Japan was largely content with their society, aggressively loyal to their leadership and nation, and living ordinary lives.  The population of the DC is likely the same, while viewed from the outside by outsiders it would not make sense, but the population is NOT likely to be disgruntled, disloyal, or malcontented as a whole.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • A Fire in the Distance
« Reply #16 on: 02 July 2022, 11:50:37 »
The unfettered opportunity to commit ritual suicide to atone for someone else's failure(s). Such as your supervisor/commander/leader.

Waaiit. That's not a perk? So, I've been playing the DCMS wrong all these years?
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 02 July 2022, 14:13:25 »
No uncertainty as to what you should be doing in life.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #18 on: 02 July 2022, 14:52:33 »
Being on permanent food rations from your first breath to your last means you never have to wonder what's for dinner

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 02 July 2022, 15:31:46 »
Never having to worry absolut your Body Mass Index  :thumbsup:
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Metallgewitter

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2022, 00:55:55 »
If you are skilled living in a Yakuza Clan can have it's perks as the Yakuza's aren't simple thugs but more like criminals with style

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2022, 01:23:13 »
Or that's how they like to present themselves, anyway.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #22 on: 05 July 2022, 17:57:14 »
No uncertainty as to what you should be doing in life.

Unless you have to deal with the Combine's bureaucracy.  ^-^
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

SlightlyIrritatedCat

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 05 July 2022, 19:27:24 »
Unless you have to deal with the Combine's bureaucracy.  ^-^
Kafka has nothing on the Combine's bureaucracy.  I'm pretty sure that somehow its bureaucracy has found a ritual to use paperwork to suck the life out of those who fill out the forms and use it to power their collective plot armor.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #24 on: 05 July 2022, 20:26:52 »
paper cuts to the wrist
paper soaks up blood
bloody paper is used to provide additional heat for the forging of their armor
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 06 July 2022, 01:06:35 »
The original House book for Kurita gives a good account of life inside the Draconis Combine*. Obviously, it's not great - unless you happen to be part of the elite (and even then it's not that great as the noble squabbling and politics can get pretty hairy, esp. if you end up supporting the wrong Kurita). It is dystopian and pretty cyberpunky too, so it's great if you like acid raid and being moody (not too moody though or the Friendly Persuaders will arrest and beat you for being difficult). Joining the military is seen as an out from drudgery and misery, so that should tell you something. The regular infantryman is going to be pretty expendable, too.

I'm sure things have gotten a little better after Theodore and so, but to be fair this is likely not a great place to live. :beatdown:

The perks though? You get to serve the Coordinator and die for the Dragon!

* I really miss books that go deep into the setting in this way. I feel like the current ilClan era could benefit from deep-dive looks like this at the various factions.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2022, 01:12:39 by GoGo Yubari »

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 06 July 2022, 01:11:11 »
Double post!

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2022, 07:49:54 »
(not too moody though or the Friendly Persuaders will arrest and beat you for being difficult).
Daily beatings will continue until morale improves!
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

SlightlyIrritatedCat

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2022, 10:01:40 »
Daily beatings will continue until morale improves!
Percussive maintenance works on machines, lets try with people!

CVB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 06 July 2022, 11:17:20 »
See FM22-102 Wall-to-wall Counseling 8)
- David Drake