Register Register

Author Topic: Which Kind of Mercenarry is better?  (Read 711 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Which Kind of Mercenarry is better?
« on: 05 October 2022, 21:12:46 »
Inspired by certain art depicting a Landsknecht and a Condottierre's greatest achievements

So a Type A Mercenary has participated in numerous planetary invasions, has over 300 kills, top of her regiment, trained in shock warfare, is a top duelist, and likes to boast about how she can wipe out your forces with precision strikes.

A type B mercenary, on the other hand, has never betrayed a client.

Should you hire This Kind?

Or This Kind?

And more importantly, which would you rather play as?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Which Kind of Mercenarry is better?
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2022, 21:19:05 »

Hire the Landsknecht.  Play the Condottiere.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2022, 21:22:49 »
Type B.  Victory is never a guarantee, but loyalty is worth more than gold.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2022, 22:04:01 »
Type B.  Victory is never a guarantee, but loyalty is worth more than gold.
And you get a free pizza with each contract signing.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2022, 22:31:34 »
The answer to this is obviously...Velite.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2022, 03:24:41 »
I'd reverse Natasha's: Hire the Condottiere, play the Landsknecht.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2022, 05:25:29 »
No backstabbing. Hire.
Grand life! Play.

However  i would not day that condotierri did not backstab. That was a staple of their trade in 15,the century italy.

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2022, 00:23:07 »
Hire the Landsknecht, Condottiere who hasn't betrayed you is the one that is saving this act for a really good payday and even if she does not betray you, her services are close enough to betrayal anyway.
Play as the Landsknecht, unless I have a good GM who can bring Flashman-like story to life.
« Last Edit: 07 October 2022, 00:27:08 by PsihoKekec »
Shoot first, laugh later.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
  • (Zeus mech by AntarcticanPiranha)
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2022, 18:05:32 »
Oof, the answer depends on a few factors.

1. What am I hiring them for?
2. What kind of funding do I have available (especially in comparison to my direct adversaries)?
3. What sort of danger level am I in?
4. How big of a threat does this Mercenary Pose to me on the other side?

If I need someone for a dangerous "behind enemy lines" strike mission, or to take on a numerically superior force head on, I'll take the Type A and potential risk of betrayal as odds of success are higher with type A and the repercussions of them turncoating are minimized.

If I have enough funds to "outbid" the other side (and good standing with the merc" then I'll take the Type A every time. If I am broke or have less then my enemy I am dead.

If I am in a constant state of wondering if I am going to be killed in some way other than just on the battlefield then I would rather have the safe bet of a trustworthy mercenary (if there is such a thing...)

If I have the forces to deal with a rogue Type A then I will choose Type A. But if my own forces are limited then I would rather play the safe bet unless my criterion meets one of the above conditions.

As far as play goes? Both are fun but some of my favorite games involve me playing a small force that blurs the line between mercenary & pirates so you can probably guess which I'd pick.
For The Archon!

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
  • (Zeus mech by AntarcticanPiranha)
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2022, 18:10:59 »
This also greatly depends on who you are. If you are a military commander or a rich noble you don't hire out for talents you already possess. So if you run a successor state or a large force there would be no reason to hire "old reliable". You would just do the job with your own personnel. But the type A still provides you something you might not be able to get on the regular. With a cost... Any truly cutthroat mercenaries would be quickly hunted down or pushed the the edge of the rule of law in relatively short order. You don't last by being a backstabber. Ultimately this type A is going to get put down or find somewhere to hang up their allegiance. 
For The Archon!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2022, 01:11:55 »
Landsnechts were basically soldiers who's armies had been destroyed and hired themselves out because soldering is all they had. they had no real loyalty to employers because in the wars of religion, their employers had no loyalty to the soldiers they hired and were prone to turning on the mercenary bands in order to avoid paying them, and there was always more employers waiting and needing soldiers. their contracts also tended to be rather.. fluid, and paperwork rarely became involved. honestly they were more like land-pirates than mercenaries, and quite a few of the atrocities of the wars of religion were due to bands of mercenaries who decided to just rape, burn, and pillage their way across the countryside due to lack of pay or because their employer didn't ride herd on them closely enough. they usually weren't all that well trained or equipped, they became famous mostly for how prevalent they were. lots of armies getting smashed bin that time, so lots of soldiers stranded a long way from home and in need of work. a big enough band usually became self sufficient too, since they'd impress any survivors from their ravages into service, attract the survivors from any other mercenary bands they ran across, and so on.

Condottieri are more like hired security.. they were basically the standing armies of the italian city-states, just instead of having a full-on civilian recruitment and training, they hired already experienced soldiers to serve as cadre. unlike the mercenary Landsnecht bands, they were highly trained and well equipped, and experts in the art of things like siegeworks, artillery, etc. and in peacetime instead of just standing around doing drills and pulling guard duty, they'd hire themselves out to neighboring allied city-states. coming from a society that embraced legalism and contracts an almost extreme degree, they could be counted on to fulfill any duty they were hired to do, or die trying. though conversely, if their contract did not include something, they wouldn't do it without supplemental contracts. since many of the officers for these groups were basicalyl the princes and other nobility of the city-states, they had a particular focus on ensuring that contract law was enforced.

personally if faced with both, i'd hire the Condottieri and contract them to wipe out the Landsnecht mercenary bands, because the Condottieri are the least likely to burn down my towns, rape and steal the women, and rob every church and business. while the Landsnechts are likely to do that whether i hire them or not.

unless the Landsnechts are swiss. then i'd hire those, put the Condottieri in charge of them on the battlefield, and totally kick some rear end. you know, like the Papal States did. :)
« Last Edit: 12 October 2022, 01:14:27 by glitterboy2098 »

Prospernia

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 October 2022, 20:37:54 »
That's a lot of paper-work for an assassination; and a paper-trail, but, a free pizza.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #12 on: 14 October 2022, 20:42:54 »
I'm not sure you can call the Swiss Landsknechts...  ^-^