Register Register

Author Topic: Worlds Draconis Combine took in 3rd SW?  (Read 1031 times)

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
Worlds Draconis Combine took in 3rd SW?
« on: 03 July 2022, 11:00:23 »
Hi.

I am looking at planning a homebrew Mercenary Company for 3025-3049 play. Ideally I wanted them to come from a world that was conquered by Draconis Combine in 3rd Succession War. Ideally conquered from Federated Sons but failing that the Lyran Commonwealth. I have been looking at Inner Sphere Maps and browsing through Sarna but I have failed to something so far.

I want to have narrative reason why this homebrew Mercenary Company would hate the Draconis Combine over and above the subsequent Kurita "Death to Mercenaries" edict.

I figured that one of you experts on BT lore would be able to point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Worlds Draconis Combine took in 3rd SW?
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2022, 11:24:33 »
Should be noted that the 3rd War ended with Davions having regained all their pre 3rd War losses on the DC border. So if you want captured world, you may need to look at First or Second Succession War worlds.
Since the 3rd Succession War is the most "open" of the Wars, with some border worlds often changing sides, you could pretty much pick any one and just assume there was brutal fighting here at some point and your mercs (or their ancestors) have a grudge because of that.

Is such grudge enough reason?
Mercs need to be pragmatic usually, perhaps they got used wrong by Dracs at some point in their history or cheated out of pay or something. Unless a merc unit is formed from a line unit that deserted, like the 21st Centauri Lancers, or is especially patriotic like the Kell Hounds, i find it difficult to understand why mercs would hate a specific nation.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 July 2022, 11:53:53 »
Was about to mention something very similiar: many of the hands on that border changed hands repeatedly, so, unless they are brand new in 3025, you can say it happened "recently" and you'd really be canonically correct.

That said, the era you are mentioning (3025+) is the 4th SW era, where the DC -did- take planets from the FS.  So, if you start there (about 3028ish) it gives them a good motivation if you play all the way up through the war of 3039.  What's nice about that war is, the FC lost that at the strategic level, there was a lot of local victories. So you and the players can have a lot of fun at your table, winning more than most, and still be canonically correct when "peace is declared by higher."

good luck, have fun!

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 03 July 2022, 13:55:44 »
Thanks both

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 03 July 2022, 14:54:59 »
The Draconis Combine Handbook gives you the maps at the end of  each major war. Easy to compare 2nd to 3rd war..
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 03 July 2022, 15:10:35 »
The Draconis Combine Handbook gives you the maps at the end of  each major war. Easy to compare 2nd to 3rd war..
Is that available as free pdf?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2022, 15:34:13 »
Nope. Sarna has accurate maps though. Just need to know where to look and what to look for. A moment...
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2022, 15:38:03 »
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Inner_Sphere_Maps

And here's beginning and end of the 3rd War:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:2864_Inner_Sphere_(Sarna).svg
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:3025_Inner_Sphere_(Sarna).svg

Warning, depending on your hardware and browser, stuff may crash. I know my PC can't really render the category page for whatever reason (Chrome).
-What's the difference?

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2022, 15:39:17 »
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:Inner_Sphere_Maps

And here's beginning and end of the 3rd War:
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:2864_Inner_Sphere_(Sarna).svg
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:3025_Inner_Sphere_(Sarna).svg
Thank you kindly. Really appreciate the help

Cheers
Warning, depending on your hardware and browser, stuff may crash. I know my PC can't really render the category page for whatever reason (Chrome).

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2022, 16:36:00 »
Thanks for all the help. In between the maps and browsing planets on Sarna, I was able to find Celene, or specifically the world of Celene II.

It was in Draconic Combine hands for centuries before being driven off by Federated Suns in 3002. Then it was retaken by Draconis Combine in 3020 (until reconquered back in 3040 after War of 3039).

Its a minor world, no major industry noted, a cold world.
 It has 3 continents - names for first 3 Lances! And 3 moons - names for first 3 Companies!!

So I can set my mercenary company up as being formed in 3021 with the fragments of the small Celene Draconis March Militia that managed to get the last dropship off planet when the Kuritans retook. I will start off with 9 mechs - the 8 from AGoAC box set and the Griffon from Beginner box set.

How does that sound??

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2022, 16:49:39 »
 It has 3 continents - names for first 3 Lances! And 3 moons - names for first 3 Companies!!
Okay, this is cool, it is always fun when you find something that makes for a great theme.

9 'Mechs is interesting. Three "light lances", or understrength company or whatever. Good for organization, IMO.
I take it you don't want duplicates, since nominally between AGOAC and BB you should have two Wolverines?

EDIT wait, where is this world? i can't find it.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2022, 16:53:43 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2022, 17:12:39 »
Okay, this is cool, it is always fun when you find something that makes for a great theme.

9 'Mechs is interesting. Three "light lances", or understrength company or whatever. Good for organization, IMO.
I take it you don't want duplicates, since nominally between AGOAC and BB you should have two Wolverines?
So far in terms of models I have 2 AGoAC & 1 Beginners box, two Lance packs and a few singles. The plan was to do a Mercenary and Davion force, with maybe a company for Steiner and Kurita. Hence why I wanted somewhere in that general area of space that could explain these various forces depending on what mission or campaign played. As Wolverine is such a common mech in 3025, I was going to spread them out across the various forces rather than have multiples in any one force.

Although I intend to get the IS Command Lance and IS Battle Lance, they are like golddust in UK at the moment. So although I want to use those two Lance Packs in my mercenary force, I wanted to start with what I had. So that is modelwise why I am starting with 9 mechs.

Game background fluffwise, I thought it would be best to start the mercenary company as the remnants who survived the second battle of Celene. Starting off with a full company of twelve mechs would be too neat. I figured commander in Battlemaster, Heavy Lance with Awesome, Catapult, Thunderbolt and Shadowhawk. Striker Lance with Griffon, Wolverine, Commando and Locust.

Next reinforcements will be Stinger, Crusader and Stalker to get them up to Company strength.
Then Wasp, Stinger, Rifleman, Warhammer from IS Battle Lance to get them up to reinforced Company. If I went beyond that, to eventually expand up to Battalion, it would definitely be adding vehicles from forthcoming Mercenaries Kickstarter.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2022, 18:35:49 »
 100% sure he meant Cylene (Cylene II to be exact). Ninth Benjamin Regulars retook it in 3020. So, they could have a bigger grudge against that particular unit also. I had to do a scroll in MekHQ along the Fed Suns border to locate a world close to his spelling and then look it up on Sarna, the data there matches what he stated.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2022, 19:00:22 »
Thanks for all the help. In between the maps and browsing planets on Sarna, I was able to find Celene, or specifically the world of Celene II.

It was in Draconic Combine hands for centuries before being driven off by Federated Suns in 3002. Then it was retaken by Draconis Combine in 3020 (until reconquered back in 3040 after War of 3039).

So I can set my mercenary company up as being formed in 3021 with the fragments of the small Celene Draconis March Militia that managed to get the last dropship off planet when the Kuritans retook. I will start off with 9 mechs - the 8 from AGoAC box set and the Griffon from Beginner box set.

How does that sound??

NIIIICE. That is a GREAT origin and it all ties nicely together!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2022, 16:59:54 »
Sounds like an interesting setup
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #15 on: 26 July 2022, 14:50:37 »
Thanks

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 26 July 2022, 17:21:27 »
Might I suggest adding Infantry Platoon or 2 for "Base Security"

So one to Babysit the mechs when the pilots are out of them
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 27 July 2022, 10:59:32 »
NIIIICE. That is a GREAT origin and it all ties nicely together!

Holy crap, I agree that is super cool backstory.   I was impressed you found ANYTHING on the FedSuns Combine border that worked:  generally speaking, the 3rd Succession War was a shit show for the DCMS and they really got their butts handed to them by the AFFS. 

Good work, great backstory, love the direction this is taking.  Cheers!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #18 on: 27 July 2022, 15:39:04 »
May I suggest a reinforced Lance and a striker one? Command can tag along with the Assault Lance, adding in it's support to the Striker unit as needed.

Definitely you'll need to add some warm bodies to patrol the local perimeter...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 27 July 2022, 16:16:01 »
Might I suggest adding Infantry Platoon or 2 for "Base Security"

So one to Babysit the mechs when the pilots are out of them
I don't have any IS Infantry models yet (not a hug fan of the Iron Wind metal infantry). Hoping that we get at least generic IS Infantry in the Mercenaries KS as that would fit perfectly IMO.

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 27 July 2022, 16:37:35 »
Holy crap, I agree that is super cool backstory.   I was impressed you found ANYTHING on the FedSuns Combine border that worked:  generally speaking, the 3rd Succession War was a shit show for the DCMS and they really got their butts handed to them by the AFFS. 

Good work, great backstory, love the direction this is taking.  Cheers!
Thanks. I spent one whole evening having downloaded both th pre and post 4SW maps and flicking back and forward between them and Sarna.net to check when planets changed hands.

I figured if the commander and founder of my Mercenary unit had lived on Celene under Davion rule from say aged six to aged 18, that he would identify more as Davion than Kurita. My first stab at backstory was going to have him go to "College" at aged 18, dissapointing his parents (who would have had many generations of family living under House Kurita). I was thinking he would have secretly gone to a (minor) Davion military college and that his father would disown him when they belatedly found out. So it would be 3014 when he left home. I assumed that 3 years military college and then further 3 years military service in the AFFS which might be just long enough for him to have been recetly appointed Captain before the Kuritan counter attack on Celene in 3020.

I figured they got off planet on one of the last dropships, maybe six Mechwarriors but only say four or five intact Mechs, with some damaged Mechs for spare parts and trading. Then were able to recruit some additional Mechwarriors and trade for some basic Mechs in Lyran space before getting their first contract 3021-3022 on Lyran / Marik border, and then take the story from there.

I wanted my Mercenary commander to have ties to both Davion and Kurita to make it more believable if they took a contract to fight with Kurita against the Clans post 3050. t would have been too easy to make him loyal to Davion and hating Kurita. Hopefully that sounds ok and not too melodramatic?

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 27 July 2022, 16:46:11 »
Thanks. I spent one whole evening having downloaded both th pre and post 4SW maps and flicking back and forward between them and Sarna.net to check when planets changed hands.

I figured if the commander and founder of my Mercenary unit had lived on Celene under Davion rule from say aged six to aged 18, that he would identify more as Davion than Kurita. My first stab at backstory was going to have him go to "College" at aged 18, dissapointing his parents (who would have had many generations of family living under House Kurita). I was thinking he would have secretly gone to a (minor) Davion military college and that his father would disown him when they belatedly found out. So it would be 3014 when he left home. I assumed that 3 years military college and then further 3 years military service in the AFFS which might be just long enough for him to have been recetly appointed Captain before the Kuritan counter attack on Celene in 3020.

I figured they got off planet on one of the last dropships, maybe six Mechwarriors but only say four or five intact Mechs, with some damaged Mechs for spare parts and trading. Then were able to recruit some additional Mechwarriors and trade for some basic Mechs in Lyran space before getting their first contract 3021-3022 on Lyran / Marik border, and then take the story from there.

I wanted my Mercenary commander to have ties to both Davion and Kurita to make it more believable if they took a contract to fight with Kurita against the Clans post 3050. t would have been too easy to make him loyal to Davion and hating Kurita. Hopefully that sounds ok and not too melodramatic?

for a table top game Melodramtic is fine, it get player hype into their character.  I mean it beat forming your units cause your leader happen to be related to the archon who rewarded them money to form their merc units and have their units name be something like that sound like Found. 

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 27 July 2022, 16:51:28 »
May I suggest a reinforced Lance and a striker one? Command can tag along with the Assault Lance, adding in it's support to the Striker unit as needed.

Definitely you'll need to add some warm bodies to patrol the local perimeter...

TT
My plan was to (over time) paint up and have a couple of main IS forces (Mercenary and either Davion / Lyran - which depending on how easy I found the respective planned paint schemes) and 2-3 smaller IS forces (Kurita and either Lyran or Davion, plus handfull of Periphery - being whatever mechs I had left over - e.g. I already have a spare Wolverine and spare Shadowhawk for Periphery).

For the smaller forces I am looking at a Company or Reinforced Company. For the larger forces I would like ideally / eventually have a Battalion. So whe I mentioned 9 mechs that was purely the starting point being AGoAC boxeset and Griffin from beginner boxset. I already physically have more than 9 Mechs for my Mercenary force (probably around 20-22  mechs depending on how I split the last couple of Lance pack that I am waiting to receive).

So the only reason I limited myself to just 9 was that it was a simple starting point from hat I have readily to hand and should be an achieveable initial painting project, starting with some of the common IS 3025 Mechs.

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 27 July 2022, 17:01:42 »
for a table top game Melodramtic is fine, it get player hype into their character.  I mean it beat forming your units cause your leader happen to be related to the archon who rewarded them money to form their merc units and have their units name be something like that sound like Found.
Thanks - yes have played Mechwarrior RPG before when was just a lowly Mechwarrior (friend was our Mercenary unit's officer). I know strictly for Tabletop game you don't even need names for mechs - it is simply a WVR-6R Wolverine.

But I wanted enough of a backstory for my Mercenary Captain and his main 2-3 officers. The locations chosen were merely an excuse to have my intended Forces all around the same general area of space so that I could justify in any of them facing off against any other. 

And no - I have zero Los tech. Will be 3025 tech all the way until we branch out to playing Clan Invasion era games.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2022, 14:35:44 »
I don't have any IS Infantry models yet (not a hug fan of the Iron Wind metal infantry). Hoping that we get at least generic IS Infantry in the Mercenaries KS as that would fit perfectly IMO.
You may not even want to put the on the "battlefield" but without some Infantry to pull security..  You either have to full trust the locals you work for or need to sleep/eat/etc.. with 1 eye on your unit security.  An enemy commando unit, slips in and SMG your tech staff, or grenades your sleeping area, hids small charges in your ammo resupply area...
Nope it's not playing sporting old chap, but I have done it with infantry against basecamps without thier own. 

Honestly real infantry has very limited roles on the battlefield

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #25 on: 08 August 2022, 08:18:18 »
I've done this while running a game...

Unit in question moved for mech combat I had a scenario called base attack. Except it wasn't the base but theirs.

Fun times...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016