Register Register

Author Topic: Back to painting... now with Tikonov Republican Guard  (Read 3952 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Back to painting, Lyran Guards or maybe Arcturan Guards?
« Reply #30 on: 28 June 2021, 16:28:29 »
Moved on the Grasshopper.
Quick Talassar Blue, then Apothecary White. Like painting with contrast paints. Need to work on avoiding pooling, but otherwise, they're nice.
Did this one pretty quickly (probably my fastest 'Mech so far). The border isn't quite clean, but that was partially because this is just a test, partially because it is really hard to figure where to stop on the Grasshopper. Should've taken a bit care on the top parts especially to avoid pooling, this lead to some gradients around the 'Mech. Will do some details and drybrushing on this one still.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 28 June 2021, 17:09:20 »
Having issues with file size now for some reason... I did throw phone suggested "enhancement" on account of poor lighting, but these processed images seem more accurate to what my eye says.

Anyway, some details, drybrushing. Did in that order, which is wrong maybe? Worked out fortunately.
Figure this one is essentially "ready". Grasshopper doesn't have many details to paint... or, well, not many i want to paint. Should've done the hands but that's about my limit, figure i lean toward more real, ie most stuff covered in paint. I think?
Attempted some jeweling on the cockpit, it is not great but it is a start.

So, overall process is nailed down.

-White primer (done on all units)
-Talassar Blue contrast paint, need to take it slow and steady, avoid pooling, just do another coat if the first is too light.
-White contrast paint, same process.
-Paint detail areas black.
-Drybrush white and blue. In this order, because there's more blue and it'll cover any accidental white drybrush over blue. Hopefully.
-Add gunmetal details, laser lenses, cockpit stuff, jump jets depending on the 'Mech in question.

Of course there's also base to be done but that's simple enough. Leaning toward snow for these, though not sure. Would snow suit the Donegal Guards better? The other unit will get dirt/sand base, because the Alliance Guards got grass (have three flocking types, want to use all three).
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 28 June 2021, 17:09:37 »
Rear pic.

EDIT Noticed MarauderD used Nuln oil on missile ports. Noted, probably need to do that myself. But should i do that as the very first thing? I mean, those damn recesses... if i'm careful with contrast, would it leave missile ports alone?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2021, 17:18:14 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 29 June 2021, 15:07:49 »
Managed to start with maybe my Lyran Guards' most difficult 'Mechs, the Vulcan and Wolfhound. Neither has good simple lines to follow for the blue-white border. So i just need to use my smallest detail brush and try to take my time. Sigh.
Happy i decided to got with the Lyran Gyards though, despite the difficulty. Seeing a couple of tests and a couple of finalists starting to take shape... the Lyran Guards paint scheme is so striking!

Leaning toward dirt base for these, leave snow for the Donegal Guard. Don't want to test flocking schemes, just in case getting rid of white glue is difficult. Figure dirt would complement the white better than white snow, as i'm not planning on using any bushes or more extensive flocking detail for these. Too many small-based Alpha Strike plastics.

I seriously need to reconsider my Red Lancers at this point, red-gold-black is not gonna be a simple scheme. I suppose i could try to stick to red mostly, and just throw black and yellow to spots that feel OK but... ah, well, jumping ahead of my self.

-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 03 July 2021, 14:38:57 »
Sigh, stuff gotten into way, my half-painted minis are just sitting on my table. And now it is hot again.

But i did get an idea, and part of that idea includes some unit roster changes, and fortunately i haven't gotten around painting basically anything yet.
In case of my Lyran Guards, they would lose the Vulcan (don't like it anyway), but gain the Hunchback i was originally intending for my planned Donegal Guards. The Caesar would also be moved away, replaced by a modified Victor from the Donegal unit.

My Donegal Guards planned roster was this:
Code: [Select]
Pursuit lance:
Uziel Medium UZL-2S
Chimera Medium CMA-1S
Hunchback Medium HBK-6S
Hellspawn Medium HSN-7D

Cavalry lance:
Thanatos Heavy TNS-4S
Bushwacker Medium BSW-X1/S2
Argus Heavy AGS-4D
Dragon Heavy DRG-7N

Assault lance:
Atlas Assault AS7-S3
Mauler Assault MAL-2R
Victor Assault VTR-10S
Awesome Assault AWS-9M

Changes would include replacing the Victor with a Caesar, the Huncback with a Raptor, and the Dragon with a Dervish, though this means my third CapCon company will have less than ideal third lance but they gotta make do (that lance has a Vindicator, Black Hawk-KU, Cossack and (non-Omni) Firestarter as it is, overall poor combination of 'Mechs).

The point of these changes is that i'm gonna turn these Donegal Guards into a FedSuns unit. The roster is very FedSuns-styled already, and these changes would make it more so, though i need to figure better Atlas variant, seems the FedSuns were basically only using old ones and the limited-upgrade AS7-S. Probably a -S2/3 or a -K, and i'll just say it was salvage or a weird trade.

This "frees" Donegal Guards paint scheme for another unit idea. Need to figure a FedSuns paint scheme still, preferably something that was probably involved in the St. Ives conflict.

Also, the pine oil-based cleaning agent is working for stripping paint. But there is some manual work involved, i wonder if i should get a soft tootbrush for removing the loose paint? Regardless, this naturally means i won't be running out of test miniatures, and i get the Dervish for actual use.
-What's the difference?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #35 on: 03 July 2021, 16:28:43 »
What period are you aiming at for the Lyrans and this FedSun unit? The Caesar 3R is a little light to play with assaults - the 4R is a bit tougher. My only problem with the Caesar mini is the arms - they're pretty weedy. The chassis plays well with KS minis, but I had to sub the arms for something a little more pumped.

Other than that, looks good!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 03 July 2021, 16:56:17 »
Building all my CapCon and Lyran units with early 3060s in mind. Because of some changes to my original plan, neither has proper enemies. Off-hand, i was going for something like 4 lances per faction, and the factions being FedSuns, Lyran Alliance, CapCon and St. Ives Compact, but then i realized with some changes i could incorporate bunch of "leftovers" as well.
But whatever, i'll come up with some weird reason for these two to fight. Or maybe i'll play the Jihad and have the Word of Blake masquerading as one force...

The 3R and 4S are my options pretty much for the Caesar. The arms are awfully thing to be sure, i'm mostly worried about bending them. But it is assembled already, so no changes planned.
Current roster:
Code: [Select]
Pursuit lance:
Commando Light COM-7S
Firestarter Medium FS9-O
Wolfhound Light WLF-2
Vulcan Medium VT-5S

Assault lance:
Banshee Assault BNC-6S
BattleMaster Assault BLR-4S
Zeus Assault ZEU-9S
Cyclops Assault CP-11-A

Battle lance:
Caesar Heavy CES-3R/4S
Axman Heavy AXM-1N
Hatchetman Medium HCT-6S
Orion Heavy ON1-Mx?

This said, the Donegal Guards will stay as they are and as Donegal Guards. I threw the ideas about changing stuff away after some initial planning. There were problems, things would be so much easier if the Kickstarter miniatures were either distributed differently in the packs...
« Last Edit: 03 July 2021, 16:58:46 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 03 July 2021, 17:55:36 »
That company ... LAAF generals look at it and say "That's a rather Steiner lance, isn't it?" :D
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 03 July 2021, 18:10:41 »
Think it was about after i made these companies i started thinking i may be a Lyran fan subconsciously. They make very fine 'Mechs at times...

Hmph. The more i think about my Donegal Guards, the more the Davion units in them bother me. The Argus and Hellspawn are the issues specifically. Only i ​don't have anything fitting to replace them.
Maybe i need to do a slight exception and do some shopping and get a couple of replacements. Of course, then i'll be having an Argus and Hellspawn without home. But i cannot think of any 'Mechs i'd like as replacements.
I suppose i could fiddle with my third CapCon company a bit, make it a Blackwind Lancers company and give it these Davion designs. After all, the Blackwind Lancers ended up joining the Free Capella, and that was supported by the FedSuns for a while, so some FedSuns designs are acceptable. Doesn't make much sense before 3062 or 3063 though, which is a bit problematic. Currently the third CapCon company is very playable in 3060 or 3061, and makes OK opfor for St. Ives War.
That said, they are FedCom designs, so i guess the Donegal Guards could've gotten some, even though the Donegal Guards were very Lyran Alliance loyal.
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 03 July 2022, 16:20:28 »
Yeah, so long break, stuff got into way but back to painting now.

Whole Lyran Guards company has now contrast paint on, Apothecary White and Talassar Blue, directly over white primer. Next steps are to fix some line issues, drybrush white and blue, and paint to-be-detailed areas black. Started the last process in some cases a bit early.
Details are going to consist mostly gunmetal areas on gun barrels, jump jet ports and occasional other detail, maybe some color for some energy weapon lenses. I'll also try to do some basic jeweling on cockpits as flat single color cockpits are boring.
Not planning to add wash on these, i don't think i have anything suitable right now. Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade are too strong for whole minis, and i need all my patience on other stuff so not doing targeted washes. Based on my test pieces (on the right), these don't really need wash anyway.

-What's the difference?

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #40 on: 04 July 2022, 00:34:32 »
2 things.

A. You hqve convinced me to go donegal guards instead of lyran guards. Too much effort for my body.

B. Yo strip paint, take regular pharmacy alcohol. Heat it until it starts to boil (q to 2 minutes). Doro the kini inside. Shake it. Put it under running water. While brishing it with a brush. Repeat . You strip a.miniature in less than 2 minutes

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 04 July 2022, 03:33:56 »
2 things.

A. You hqve convinced me to go donegal guards instead of lyran guards. Too much effort for my body.
It is a lot of effort. The LG scheme looks real nice but man keeping that line straight, and avoiding drybrushing wrong color and... Yeah. And i'm just impatient enough it gets real tricky at times.

Funny enough, my next unit will be Donegal Guards.
Afterwards it will be Capellan time, but i'm pretty sure i'll scrap my plans for 2nd St. Ives Lancers and Red Lancers and instead do Rubinsky's Light Horse (blood red) and 1st MAC Nightriders (ash grey with silver trim, which i'll minimize). The reason for this is simplicity. My projects have gone on for years, i just need to finish these to move to newer minis and flat schemes are faster and simpler to do.

B. Yo strip paint, take regular pharmacy alcohol. Heat it until it starts to boil (q to 2 minutes). Doro the kini inside. Shake it. Put it under running water. While brishing it with a brush. Repeat . You strip a.miniature in less than 2 minutes
Interesting. Need to determine if local pharmacies have suitable stuff available.
That said, i figure that i have just enough extra minis i can probably do enough tests for further schemes i don't need to strip minis. But i suppose having the option is nice in case of a major mistake.
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 05 July 2022, 15:39:27 »
Some progress.
Added jeweling to some 'Mechs, others will either do with pure black cockpits or with teeny tiny color bits. Too many small cockpits.
Found jeweling to be surprisingly easy once i understood how it is done and picked proper colors for gradients. I'm not good at it but practice practice practice.

Bases are simple dirt flocking. Keeping it simple, matching my earlier Alliance Guards with their simple grass flocking. My Donegal Guards will get snow.

Just need to finish bases on rest of the company, and these are essentially ready for varnish. Well, after the glue dries anyway.
-What's the difference?

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 05 July 2022, 17:13:44 »
Looking great!  Nice to see the formation come together.  I've never tried to paint so many at once, that might be too daunting for me, I usually do either one or four at a time.  Bravo!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 05 July 2022, 17:25:49 »
Looking great!  Nice to see the formation come together.  I've never tried to paint so many at once, that might be too daunting for me, I usually do either one or four at a time.  Bravo!
I'm mildly insane probably.
My very first paint jobs were a couple of lances painted with a green and some other green. Then i did Alliance Guards company, now this. And there's four more companies on the way.

Part of the reason is that by doing many at once, i get reasonably consistent results. Four at a time would be more relaxed but i worry i get paints or shades wrong later on. Maybe this is unnecessary worry but it is what it is.
The other part of the reason is that lances aren't flexible enough. A company offers a lot of choices for smaller games.

Also i blame worktroll, his battalions are a big inspiration  ;D

EDIT My original idea was actually to expand all my companies to combined arms battalions. But i've scrapped that plan on financial and practical (eg available storage space) grounds.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2022, 17:27:37 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #45 on: 06 July 2022, 11:30:02 »
Worktroll's JOB is inspiration/scapegoat!  :D

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 07 August 2022, 04:13:16 »
Worktroll's JOB is inspiration/scapegoat!  :D

Unsolicited testimonials always appreciated :)

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 14 August 2022, 12:39:46 »
Some progress.
Added jeweling to some 'Mechs, others will either do with pure black cockpits or with teeny tiny color bits. Too many small cockpits.
Found jeweling to be surprisingly easy once i understood how it is done and picked proper colors for gradients. I'm not good at it but practice practice practice.

Bases are simple dirt flocking. Keeping it simple, matching my earlier Alliance Guards with their simple grass flocking. My Donegal Guards will get snow.

Just need to finish bases on rest of the company, and these are essentially ready for varnish. Well, after the glue dries anyway.
Love your Lyran Guards.

I am wanting to paint a small force of Steiner mechs, (probably a reinforced company to give me choice of 16 mechs across the 4 weight classes). Choosing the mechs as per xotl's 3028 Steiner RAT so that mechs look like Steiner at a glance.

I have watched and bookmarked that YouTube video from CamoSpecs on Donegal Guards  with Contrast paints. The Donegal Guards look great but they don't immediately scream Steiner to me from a distance, unlike the more iconic Lyran Guards.

My one concern is that, since my deteriorating eyesight, I am not sure if I would feel confident enough in my ability to straight line between the two colours to paint the side torso as white too. I might have to tweak the Lyran Guards canon scheme.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #48 on: 14 August 2022, 12:57:44 »
I finished the Lyrans sometime ago:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/miniatures/lyran-guards-company/

My one concern is that, since my deteriorating eyesight, I am not sure if I would feel confident enough in my ability to straight line between the two colours to paint the side torso as white too. I might have to tweak the Lyran Guards canon scheme.

Regarding the line, i didn't get it entirely straight. Not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. Masking one side would allow making the line very straight in principle, though applying tape (or whatever one uses) may be tricky.

If you are worried about this, you can cheat a bit and only paint the right arm and leg white. Seen some do that. It gets the Lyran Guards paint scheme idea across even if it doesn't quite conform to the idea of "one third white, two thirds blue".
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 14 August 2022, 13:01:33 »
Aand double checking my minis, i just realized my Axeman actually went for about 50-50% rather than intended one third white. I blame the off-set cockpit making this trickier, and that the 'Mechs torso doesn't have good natural line to get that done. Still, it is not that noticeable among others.
Also given how uneven the white-blue line on the 'Mech is, i may have rushed it a bit and/or forgotten to adjust it, i figure i probably meant to go for that 1/3rd white.
-What's the difference?

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #50 on: 14 August 2022, 14:55:01 »
I finished the Lyrans sometime ago:
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/miniatures/lyran-guards-company/

Regarding the line, i didn't get it entirely straight. Not really noticeable unless you're looking for it. Masking one side would allow making the line very straight in principle, though applying tape (or whatever one uses) may be tricky.

If you are worried about this, you can cheat a bit and only paint the right arm and leg white. Seen some do that. It gets the Lyran Guards paint scheme idea across even if it doesn't quite conform to the idea of "one third white, two thirds blue".
Actually that is exactly what I was thinking of. The quality of the new Clan Invasion KS plastic mechs is so great that I am wanting to use them. Whereas many of the older sculpts had their legs (and/or their arms) go straight up into their bodies, most of the new Clan Invasion KS resculpts have their legs and arms separately connected to the side of their bodies. Therefore it should be easier to paint one arm and one leg white as you described, leaving the side torso as blue.

I was thinking if I made them one of the non-Canon numbered Lyran Guards units, that it would make it easier to justify a difference from the usual Canon paint scheme. But hopefully still clearly identifiable as a Steiner unit.

Anyway I want to start painting my mechs small & simple with me first doing a handfull of minor mercenary / periphery / security mechs to practice my painting techniques.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 14 August 2022, 14:58:09 »
Variations of a theme are just fine. Off-hand the Davion Guard of Brigades has two official methods for the paint job, so why can't others have those too?

Also seen two thirds white, one third blue variation of the Lyran Guards theme. Don't think that's canonical but it is recognizable.
-What's the difference?

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #52 on: 14 August 2022, 15:15:37 »
Variations of a theme are just fine. Off-hand the Davion Guard of Brigades has two official methods for the paint job, so why can't others have those too?

Also seen two thirds white, one third blue variation of the Lyran Guards theme. Don't think that's canonical but it is recognizable.
Cool - thanks.

I must admit when I eventually do any Davion mechs, then they won't be Davion Brigade of Guards - not only too diffiult for me to attempt and also too close to the Lyran Guards colour blue for my liking.

My long-term goal is to paint up several company / reinforced company size forces to use to rpresent the actual forces that were in Turning Points War of 3039: Vega. So I want one force to be clearly identifiable for each of Steiner, Davion and Kurita plus mercenaries.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 21 August 2022, 10:47:02 »
Ended up doing some roster changes for the Donegal Guards and my planned St. Ives unit, and in the process i modified a Hunchback to 4SP configuration with the Strider's arms, some knife work and greenstuff. Also a clear pipe with ends cut at 45 degree angle behind the head for... some reason. Maybe some cockpit systems or ammo feed routing?

EDIT A bit more on what i did:  Cut of the AC and torso above the torso detail seen in the pic (poor pic yeah), cut off the arms, cut of the head. Added the Strider arms, greenstuff filling, glued the head back on top and arms to the sides.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2022, 10:52:34 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #54 on: 21 August 2022, 10:55:56 »
Looks like a good match for the rest of the Hunchback's body!  :thumbsup:

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 21 August 2022, 11:08:03 »
Looks like a good match for the rest of the Hunchback's body!  :thumbsup:
I was surprised how well they matched actually. Same depth, and two of them were just about as wide as the Hunchback was originally. Since i had to cut ofo the arms and they probably lost some material, it seems roughly the same size it used to be.
I had originally planned to place the launcher-arms vertically but i determined that would be far more difficult, even if it would save more of the original Hunchback body. That would have given this a profile a bit more like the Hunchback IIC probably.

-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Tikonov Republican Guards WIP
« Reply #56 on: 28 August 2022, 21:15:31 »
I scrapped my Donegal Guards project. I'll save them for later, have ideas, need new minis, and want to see what the future holds for plastic minis before committing to them.

That means new paint scheme for the planned company. Considered the Arcturan Guards, Pandora/Ark-Royal Theater Militia and Tikonov Republican Guards, and currently the last one is the most likely scheme i'll do, despite some problems with it. The Arcturan Guards would be nice but i feel i'd need proper decals or figure easy way to paint "good enough" Arcturan Guard emblem to provide some contrast to the otherwise white mini. There's also that i don't have good white primer, just very old AP white rattle can i don't want to use anymore, leaving me with brush-on gray primer only. Would be fast otherwise though, as white contrast paint over white primer is simple and pretty good, and some white drybrush over it should result in reasonable look, that worked for the white third of the Lyran Guards. I think i'll skip the Arcturans for now.
I did start a PTM test mini but that didn't really work. I lack a suitably light blue for drybrushing, and Nuln Oil wash didn't work over VGC Electric Blue, and i don't have a ready to use blue wash option. Probably not gonna bother to finish it, nor do a better second test. Besides, my company's a bit too well equipped for a militia unit.
New paints and primers are not really an option right now, so this leaves me with the Tikonov Republican Guard.

This test Panther is not part of the company proper. Brush-on gray primer, that ended up problematic but i've already primed the company with it, with VGC Bloody Red and AP Necromancer Cloak. Two borders is so frustrating and requires patience. I hated the border with the Lyran Guards, this is worse, but i really don't have a better idea for a paint scheme, gone through all the Lyran schemes.
Next step would be Nuln Oil wash, though i need to be careful not to over-do it. Then some VGC Gore Red drybrushing over red areas. For details, some gunmetal to the missile launcher, PPC and some joints and jump jets, with black to JJ interiors and front the PPC, and finally green for the canopy.

Incidentally that HBK-4SP i modded previously is in this company.

EDIT Incidentally, i blame Worktroll for TRG being my primary pick, in addition to my paint selection limiting my options among the schemes i like  ;D
Liked his unit quite a bit.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2022, 21:21:24 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
Re: Tikonov Republican Guards WIP
« Reply #57 on: 29 August 2022, 03:33:45 »
EDIT Incidentally, i blame Worktroll

Why not, everyone else does ...

Seriously, the Tiks are still one of my favourites. Strong contrast schemes like that are just so eye-catching, and the black works because you can overlap your reds and then clean up so easily, without worrying about bleedthrough. Then you've got the black/green contrasts on the Capellan Dragoons and Magistracy Highlanders.

One thing to think about - do a very, very light ghostbrush of a light-medium grey on the black parts - just to add some highlights to the edges. Then hit with the nuln oil, and it all blends.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Tikonov Republican Guards WIP
« Reply #58 on: 29 August 2022, 08:21:28 »
One thing to think about - do a very, very light ghostbrush of a light-medium grey on the black parts - just to add some highlights to the edges. Then hit with the nuln oil, and it all blends.
Ghostbrushing and highlights, that one i'm not entirely sure how to do this. If i do imagine it right, it should be a good addition for sure. But how to get stuff just to the edges of right places, not anywhere else?

Think i need to find some vids and pay attention to how brush is held and whatever else...

EDIT Wait, you mean just drybrushing? That i can do, though i still need to work on my technique.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2022, 09:00:52 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Back to painting... now with Tikonov Republican Guard
« Reply #59 on: 29 August 2022, 09:42:28 »
So, drybrushing VGC Sombre Gray over the current "black", specifically aiming for edges looks actually great.
The problem is that Nuln Oil wash stained the red way too much, completely unacceptable. Can't get it run where it should, i need that Citadel wash thinner medium thing probably.
Added a new layer of Bloody Red over the red areas and that looks sorta okay but not really what i want.

I can't help but feel i should do wash over primer as the red is just translucent enough a wash might be visible under it, in the places it should be in: recesses, panel lines and the like, not bother at all with wash over actual paint layers.

I'll prep another test mini but i have a feeling this scheme requires more skill to pull off well than i have yet. I will add details next, see if it'll look better with those but i'm not hopeful.

Unfortunately i have no real options for Lyrans anymore, and this company so Lyran (well, strictly FedCom but mostly Lyran half) i can't paint it in anyone else's colors.
Alliance Guards done. Lyran Guards done. Donegal Guards i want for later. Arcturan Guards and PTM need stuff i don't have.
The only other option i can think of are the Lyran Regulars BUT i'll be doing similar green schemes in the future so i really want something different, so they aren't a real option.
-What's the difference?

Register