Register Register

Author Topic: Big models without an airbrush  (Read 561 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Not smarter than a fifth grader
    • Master Unit List
Big models without an airbrush
« on: 19 January 2022, 00:59:21 »
So I've got some (seven) Tau tanks that need some paint. I've been told an airbrush is the best way to get an even coat on big hulls. Problem: I do not own an airbrush. So what's the best way to avoid big, blotchy brushstrokes? Bigger brush?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Part of the fanbase: I have very fringe interests
Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Big models without an airbrush
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2022, 02:25:01 »
Spray cans? With usual provisos against cold and/or humidity?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2022, 09:48:19 »
If your paints are thinned properly, you shouldn't see brush strokes.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2022, 10:21:38 »
Spray cans? With usual provisos against cold and/or humidity?

oh right. i should have mentioned that the average temp here will be well below 0 C for at least next six weeks and probably won't consistently be nice enough to spray until May :))

If your paints are thinned properly, you shouldn't see brush strokes.

mmm *pretends I knew this all along*
see,

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2022, 11:40:17 »
You should be fine if you properly shake your spray cans and warm them in a bath of water before spraying. Of course, a test spray is warranted. The temp of the can contents are probably more important than the outside temp. This video is pretty good with regards to priming, but should work for spray colors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEvKa9qD47I

Or -- and hear me out -- just get an airbrush.

It just isn't the super expensive investment you think it is. Something like a Badger Patriot 105 is pretty affordable. And if you are buying GW merchandise, let alone seven of them, you can get an airbrush and compressor.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2022, 12:03:13 »
Friend of mine introduced me to flow improver for my paints.  I've found that helps quite a bit for knocking down brush strokes.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2022, 12:07:22 »
oh right. i should have mentioned that the average temp here will be well below 0 C for at least next six weeks and probably won't consistently be nice enough to spray until May :))

mmm *pretends I knew this all along*
see,

Welp. Time to re-up this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzieAGj3XK4

;)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2022, 02:17:42 »
wow that dude is almost my neighbor. i've seen a decent amount of his stuff but i had no idea we were that close

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2022, 18:24:57 »
It helps that cold air can't hold a lot of humidity.  I like to warm up the can in warm water and shake the hell out of it first.  Avoid white... white primer is fickle (unless it's Tamiya's, in my experience).

I'm a big fan of airbrushing but you really want a compressor, extractor fan, cleaning pot, bottles of cleaner, flow improver, and thinner, cleaning materials, desk space... it adds up.  Abou has a point, though.

And if you are buying GW merchandise, let alone seven of them, you can get an airbrush and compressor.

Register