Register Register

Author Topic: For those with an airbrush  (Read 498 times)

Xan

• Corporal
For those with an airbrush
« on: 03 January 2022, 00:02:09 »
For those with an airbrush, once you got used to it do you find it a good time saver, and question on over spray into the surrounding area.

I am trying to talk myself into an airbrush.  I understand that the learning curve will be rough, but once I get past that I am hoping it could help increase my efficiency.  Plan would be to start with priming base coating and then see what I can do from there.

I was base coating Morgen Kell's archer and made me wonder just how well an airbrush would work with that particular mini, just as there are a lot of things that seem hidden behind armor.

I would likely set up up the airbrush in my garage, it won't be all weather but I can make do with all but the coldest or hottest/humid days (I assume airbrushing in humidity runs into the same issues as a rattle can).  I have about 3 feet between where the front edge of my work bench is to where my car would be.  I would be spraying away from the car, likely into a cardboard box or something, is that enough distance that I shouldn't have to worry about getting paint on my car?  Also helps that my compressor lives out there and is loud.

Just curious how folks use their airbrush and if they feel it works on things of this scale, and helps them save some time/increase their results.  I would be using this on a mix of the Catalyst plastic and then IWM minis if that matters (and some imperial assault minis).

Thank you

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Corporal
Re: For those with an airbrush
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2022, 08:19:14 »

I am trying to talk myself into an airbrush.  I understand that the learning curve will be rough, but once I get past that I am hoping it could help increase my efficiency.  Plan would be to start with priming base coating and then see what I can do from there.

The learning curve isn't as bad as it seems (or is often talked about) but it really depends on how often you are willing to leave your comfort zone with it.  Starting off by base coating is a good start. Don't just use that time to spam as much paint on the mini as possible but use it to learn the tool itself.  Try to control the volume/flow of paint at different rates (not just flooding an area), mess around with the paint consistency to see what works and doesn't work, and try to figure out best way get at hard to hit angles with just a small spot of paint without  going outside the area you are targeting.

Eventually moving on to doing something like a zenithal highlight with your airbrush before base coating is a fairly common second step as is doing a more targeted zenithal highlight and a direct mid-tone undercoat.  But airbush like any tool takes some time and patience to really learn how to use and learn how to control.

I would likely set up up the airbrush in my garage, it won't be all weather but I can make do with all but the coldest or hottest/humid days (I assume airbrushing in humidity runs into the same issues as a rattle can).
In my experience airbrush is less reactive to environmental conditions such as humidity then rattle cans but do have some similar issues, if even just at a lesser degree. YMMV

I have about 3 feet between where the front edge of my work bench is to where my car would be.  I would be spraying away from the car, likely into a cardboard box or something, is that enough distance that I shouldn't have to worry about getting paint on my car?  Also helps that my compressor lives out there and is loud.
  Should be plenty

Just curious how folks use their airbrush and if they feel it works on things of this scale, and helps them save some time/increase their results.  I would be using this on a mix of the Catalyst plastic and then IWM minis if that matters (and some imperial assault minis).

I have a love/hate relationship with my airbrush.  I'm trying to force myself to do more with it lately which has resulted in even more love and significantly more hate.  Some of the things I have been trying to do with it lately have turned out some decent results but at the end of the day it can really be a pain in the butt. Does it save me time? sometimes, but sometimes I think it would have been faster to just go at a project with a standard brush as the set up time and clean up time of an airbrush is longer and that is if everything during the actual use of the tool goes without any of the common hiccups.

Xan

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2022, 22:51:25 »
Thank you for the insight I appreciate it!

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2022, 13:21:05 »
For those with an airbrush, once you got used to it do you find it a good time saver, and question on over spray into the surrounding area.

I was base coating Morgen Kell's archer and made me wonder just how well an airbrush would work with that particular mini, just as there are a lot of things that seem hidden behind armor.

I would likely set up up the airbrush in my garage, it won't be all weather but I can make do with all but the coldest or hottest/humid days (I assume airbrushing in humidity runs into the same issues as a rattle can).  I have about 3 feet between where the front edge of my work bench is to where my car would be.  I would be spraying away from the car, likely into a cardboard box or something, is that enough distance that I shouldn't have to worry about getting paint on my car?  Also helps that my compressor lives out there and is loud.

Thank you

If you're using an airbrush suitable for miniatures, it's not really a paint gun.  The flow rate and nozzle size as well as the suitable pressure, typically 18-25 psi, mean overspray is really minimal.  I routinely paint in a spare bedroom in the house and often don't bother to turn on the fan in my spray booth.  That's one of the joys of water-based acrylics - no volatile fumes.

If you're willing to spend just a few extra coins, adding a $20 box fan and a square HVAC filter between the box and the fan will build you a cheap spray booth with negative pressure to vent overspray through the filter instead of letting it blow back out of the booth towards your car.

The airbrush may or may not save you time if you paint one mini at a time.  If you do any production line work at all, it'll almost certainly save you time.  Even if it doesn't save you time, it'll yield more predictable results for smooth, thin priming and base coating your minis than brush work will yield.

There are plenty of airbrush reviews available on the tube of you's to help you decide on brand and model.  They don't have to be very expensive to be extremely useful.  Make sure the compressor in your garage can deal with the much lower pressure requirement for the airbrush vs your other pneumatic tools.  You may need a different valve assembly to make it work.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2022, 13:37:08 »
I use a hobby booth in my office and it works just fine with a respirator. I just pipe the exhaust out the window and tape or insulate the rest of the window crack while I'm using it. Nice part is it folds up into something travel case sized while I'm not using it so I chuck it onto a shelf or in the closet.

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

jairb

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2022, 14:47:59 »
I have that same booth.  It works great and it's very reasonably priced.  Still, more than a box fan and filter.

Xan

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2022, 23:36:47 »
Thank you!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2022, 23:55:52 »
Don't forget your mask.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.