Register Register

Author Topic: I need feedback on applying decals on varnished minis  (Read 673 times)

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
I need feedback on applying decals on varnished minis
« on: 08 December 2021, 10:48:41 »
I have some mechs that I started painting a few months back, and I was planning on putting some decals on them.

The problem is the decals I need I can't find on sale right now, and ordering from FPG is going to take 2 months at best, considering the holiday season is upon us. Not to mention that I am apprehensive of ordering the same stuff again for the second time.

So I am thinking of varnishing my mechs immediately after I finish painting them, and then apply the decals when I have them in hand.

I have no experience in doing it this way, as I always added decals before varnishing the mechs.

So I need some feedback from people who applied decals after they varnished their mechs.

What can I expect, if there is something that I will need to pay attention to, perhaps change some steps, or omit some steps?

Is decal fix going to work the same way? (especially important because the newer KS sculpts are full of panels, and even for smallest FPG decals finding a flat area with no panel lines is not easy)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
Re: I need feedback on applying decals on varnished minis
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2021, 11:25:42 »
Well...considering some advice is to apply a small dab of FUTURE floor wax to the area to set the decal...don;t see an issue. And I have personally painted and sealed a great many minis and then put decals on months after and never had an issue.

If you do do this, I would say just put another little dab of varnish overtop the decal afterwards.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2021, 11:31:44 »
I have some mechs that I started painting a few months back, and I was planning on putting some decals on them.

The problem is the decals I need I can't find on sale right now, and ordering from FPG is going to take 2 months at best, considering the holiday season is upon us. Not to mention that I am apprehensive of ordering the same stuff again for the second time.

So I am thinking of varnishing my mechs immediately after I finish painting them, and then apply the decals when I have them in hand.

I have no experience in doing it this way, as I always added decals before varnishing the mechs.

So I need some feedback from people who applied decals after they varnished their mechs.

What can I expect, if there is something that I will need to pay attention to, perhaps change some steps, or omit some steps?

Is decal fix going to work the same way? (especially important because the newer KS sculpts are full of panels, and even for smallest FPG decals finding a flat area with no panel lines is not easy)

I always apply decals over varnish but I do multiple varnish steps throughout my painting process.  I normally basecoat-->partial highlight-->thin gloss varnish-->panel lines-->finish highlights-->any and all other details not yet complete-->thin gloss varnish-->decals--> maybe touch ups if needed for what ever reason--> final gloss varnish--->ultra matte airbrush varnish.

My old process was paint the mini-->gloss varnish-->decals--> matte varnish of some kind.

I've never applied decals without varnishing first, even if it is brush on varnish to the area I want to apply the decal
Agent #1053

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2021, 12:08:56 »
Just to give more details, applying gloss varnish as base where I want to place the decal is something I always do.

When the decal is placed I go over it 2-3 times with decal fix for it blend with the miniature better. Then I go over it with a thin gloss layer, before adding matte varnish, all for protection.

All of that before varnishing the whole mini with matte varnish.

So basically there wouldn't be much of a difference if I apply decals after the whole mini is varnished, with the same procedure from above?

« Last Edit: 08 December 2021, 12:11:01 by RazorclawXLS »

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2021, 14:08:29 »
Just to give more details, applying gloss varnish as base where I want to place the decal is something I always do.

When the decal is placed I go over it 2-3 times with decal fix for it blend with the miniature better. Then I go over it with a thin gloss layer, before adding matte varnish, all for protection.

All of that before varnishing the whole mini with matte varnish.

So basically there wouldn't be much of a difference if I apply decals after the whole mini is varnished, with the same procedure from above?

Correct.  I would apply the decals between your already normal gloss varnish and your already normal matte varnish.  You shouldn't encounter any problems from using decal fixer between these existing varnish layers, especially with the gloss varnish being thoroughly set by that time.  If you want to varnish them completely (gloss and matte layers), you still shouldn't encounter any problems with hitting the spot you want to decal with gloss varnish and then resealing with matte varnish.

At least I haven't encountered any issues when taking a similar approach
Agent #1053

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2021, 14:24:24 »
I like the idea of multiple varinishes,  gloss, then decal, then dull.

My GM does this & it seems to give the best results for protection & look.

And when the mini starts to seem too shiny from the dull wearing off over time, you know its time to apply a recoat of dull.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2021, 04:57:20 »
You may want to put a dab of gloss varnish down on the area where the decal's going; I have sometimes found decals don't slide as easily over matt varnish .
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"