Register Register

Author Topic: Newish Player needing accessory help etc  (Read 854 times)

Maltski

• Recruit
Newish Player needing accessory help etc
« on: 05 July 2021, 16:46:23 »
Heya folks,

Long time fan of BT (video games and books and media) but over the years have barely had any chances to play. Gotten lots of the new Catalyst stuff and still learning the rules. Anywho point of this post, is I'm starting a new job and part of that is running gaming events, so Im trying to get Battletech down pat so I can host and run events for it. I'm no stranger to this, but with all the different pieces of BT and some things being out of print, and wanting my traveling stuff to be as accessible as possible to teaching players, I'd like to know what you vets use for various things.

So I'll just toss out a quick list here, and if you can provide some info or tell me something I should have / do, I'd really appreciate it!

Storage: What do you guys use to carry your materials and minis? Right now I'm just hauling around a box with the game boxes in it and all the kickstarter mini boxes, which obviously isn't optimal but least they're safe. Any recommendations for carrying everything, esp a case good for the Catalyst minis?

The Mech Sheets: For Dozens of reasons I don't want to print 10000 copies. I've been told to use the clear binder sleeves for paper and write on them with dry erase markers, but assuming the cost is decent I've been considering laminating copies of common mechs. I'd want to be able to hand these out to new players so they can easily see the info and use it w/o mangling the sheets. On that note tho, what do I do for the mechs and variants that haven't gotten official sheets made yet? Is there a program or app where we can customize the mechs following the rules and print them on those sheets like a PDF? Or am I stuck doing hand written ones until materials are released?

Teaching Multiple People: I'll have a good amount of space, but if anyone has taught the game to multiple people at once, any recommendations? Assuming the counts are right, I've been considering making teams and giving them 2 mechs each out of the lance for every table. Any advice from people who've been in this scenario and how they handled it would be super appreciated!

Products currently owned: For reference, I have the Starter, Core, Clan Invasion (I'd prefer to teach people during the 3rd Succession War as it's materials I know the best and no crazy OP mechs) and several random mechs and Lance packs from the KS. 4 Playmats, Total War, Battletech Manual, and I've downloaded the Chaos Campaign for later. If there are any books or products I should get asap for this endeavor, please let me know! I'd def like the info on other mechs / and variants not yet released.

Thanks kindly in advance, and sorry for the long post. Just wanted to explain exactly what the needs are as it's a bit different than teaching a few friends. Whelp back to reading!

-J

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Newish Player needing accessory help etc
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2021, 17:30:38 »
As far as software, I recommend Solaris Skunk Werks: http://solarisskunkwerks.com/

I think it has the most intuitive user interface, but that's just my opinion.  I think others have said MegaMekLab has more current rules, but SSW will do just fine for your preferred era.

As for rules, I might recommend picking up the pdf of Tech Manual.  That has pretty much all the blank sheets you might need.

Welcome to the board!  :thumbsup:

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2021, 17:38:38 »
At least for storage, what I settled on was Game Plus foam trays and carrying case. They're pretty solid and available a lot of places. I can swap out trays as needed and tie the rest up in the closet.

Ditto MegaMek Lab. It's used as a tool to make official record sheets, even though this is unofficial. Definitely good enough to keep, though I recommend having some official record sheet PDFs just in case. Keeping a 2-3" binder as you print Mechs out will do you. Just build your forces using the MUL a free resource for finding and balancing forces.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Maltski

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2021, 20:05:21 »
For the Gameplus Foam Trays, the 2.5 inches are enough?
Will look up the Tech Manual shortly

Thanks!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2021, 20:51:10 »
Almost certainly, but doublecheck your tallest mechs before you jump on one or the other. And vehicles will need a much shallower tray.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Always the least qualified person in the room
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2021, 21:52:18 »
VTOL is the one vehicle type that presents some difficulties. most vees are less than an inch to 1.5" high

There are only a few mechs that top out above 2.5 inches - like the Shiro who decided a mech-sized naginata was a good idea

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Part of the fanbase: I have very fringe interests
Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

Maltski

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 06 July 2021, 00:34:07 »
Well I only have the "new" Catalyst minis atm, so no vehicles or anything. Where is the best place to get those, Iron Wind?

Thanks again for all the feedback so far folks

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 06 July 2021, 08:10:04 »
Well I only have the "new" Catalyst minis atm, so no vehicles or anything. Where is the best place to get those, Iron Wind?
Pretty much the only place. Though if you happen to be in Europe, fantasywelt.de sells IWM's miniatures. In UK, Ral Partha Europe sells BattleTech miniatures as well though those are limited to older sculpts.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 06 July 2021, 10:08:21 »
ebay has some sellers that stock a good selection at below IWM site prices

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

Maltski

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 07 July 2021, 00:59:18 »
So question for the MegaMek Lab, if I import an existing mech with the right model number and export it (making no changes) all those exports are legal and cannonically correct? If so, this is exactly what I've been looking for units not created in the newest releases yet.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 07 July 2021, 02:12:28 »
as long as the stats match and the critical table is unaltered you're good to go.