Register Register

Author Topic: Sealing--final step  (Read 496 times)

MarauderD

• Major
Sealing--final step
« on: 01 January 2022, 13:04:33 »
So as a new hobby painter, I find the lingo tripping me up a bit--but my question is about sealing/varnish. 

After I've done some decals and gloss sealer (Krylon Fusion All-In-One Gloss Clear Sealer) the last step I've been taking is to use a Matte Sealer (Varnish as many folks for Europe/ANZAC land call it). 

My current Matte Sealer is the same brand of rattle can as above (Krylon Fusion All-In-One Matte Clear Sealer).  It has worked just fine on the last 50 or so Minis, giving a nice matte finish.  Except on one set of 5 minis--particularly, my first five. 

It has worn off those five twice now.  Maybe I put too much paint on them (I certainly did).  Perhaps it is that I put too much gloss sealer on them--because they were the first minis I sealed, I can't quite recall.  Fact is though, that this matte sealer isn't cutting it.

Should I try to buy a can Testor's Dullcote?  What is the best spray can Matte Sealer/Varnish out there?  I need something that will finally stop these 5 minis from shining through!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Sealing--final step
« Reply #1 on: 01 January 2022, 15:25:09 »
Gloss sealer is inherently stronger than matt sealer. Just is, presumably a consequence of how the matt effect is produced.

So the top of line approach is to put down a coat or two of gloss sealer, then a coat of matt sealer. When you notice that the mini's showing shiny patches where the matt's worn off, then it's time for a light recoat of matt. Highly recommended for minis that are going to get a lot of handling.

As for brands? I recommend Humbrol Acrylic Matt Sealer. I did use Dullcote last year, when we couldn't get Humbrol in Australia, and I found it far more demanding. You had to shake it for three to five minutes, otherwise it gave a semi-gloss effect. The Humbrol only needs 30-45 seconds of shaking to give a reliably flat finish.

Both repay the standard sealer conditions - not too cold, and not too humid. You can stick a can for a few minutes to warm it up - the limitation is on the contents temp, not the drying temp - but high humidity will screw you over.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 January 2022, 18:52:17 »
These 5 particular minis are my daughter's favorite faction and include her particular favorite machine: a Wolverine.  I've played an alpha strike game with them once, and used them with my kids on maybe ten different occasions, including their first alpha strike game with me this week.  I was shocked that after two different coats of Matte Clear Sealer that they were starting to shine again!

I'll look up Humbrol on Amazon and compare it price wise to the Testors.  Thanks for the info, WT.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #3 on: 02 January 2022, 23:02:00 »
I find the Krylon ColorMaxx Flat acrylic a better option over the Fusion.  The Fusion has a bunch of additives in it for sticking to plastics, including ABS.  Their ColorMaxx line doesn't use the same formula and I think it gives better results on the minis.  But WT is right, flat/mattle finish does have to get reapplied now and again if they're getting played with regularly.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Register