Register Register

Author Topic: Show off your workspace!  (Read 372 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Show off your workspace!
« on: 11 June 2021, 17:25:49 »
While I'm down here in Tips and Tricks, an invitation to show off your maker station. We haven't had one of those threads in awhile. I just got done spray-painting my new paint rack and thought I'd post some pictures. All of my "shop infrastructure" activity right now was inspired by Adam Savage's YouTube channel episode on making a carrier for his new Star Wars acrylic paints:

So part of this is the portable paint station I'm making over in my other thread.

The other part of it comes from Adam's (and Jamie's of Mythbusters) principle of first order of retrieval. I wanted to be able to see my colors better so I can make better selection decision and, well, coo over pretty rainbows. So with that. Here's my workspace:

My main workspace, a simple rollaway desk I repurposed into an art station. It's well lit with a color magnifying light on the right (I cut out part of the back to accommodate the clamp) and a flexible reading light on the left, which as a color LED bulb installed. Both so I can adjust between daylight cool and warm light to get a better read on my minis. Right now I'm working on making a small box for my portable paint station. Note: it also doubles as my electronics station so I have wire strippers in the pen holder along with other useful tools.

I put non-skid tape on the keyboard tray and keep a few rulers and guides and both my tool and paintbrush roll. Basically roll up and tie the canvas when I don't need it and unroll when I do. I also keep the ceramic tile as a rude paint palette, but most often use a wet palette these days. Right now it's just messy because I was testing paint to see if it was still good.

I'll be installing a paper towel dispenser on the side of the cart soon to save some desk space.

Below are six drawers, paint and hobby equipment on the right (painting tools top; saws, tools, containers, and such in the middle, and flocking, static grass, and such in the bottom) and electronics on the left. I also keep a box of pastels tucked away on the right side along with a spray board.

On the floor here are my air compressor and paint shaker. On the shelves are some toy drones and my paint booth; distilled water bottle, my airbrush, some in-progress gunpla, and mask with new cartridges on the second shelf; and gloves and more airbrush cleaning equipment on the third shelf.

Finally, my electronics parts on the left and my new paint rack on the right. Most everything is Vallejo with some P3 stuff I transferred over to bottles. Happy rainbows.

Anyhow, that's my shop. What are you all doing for your happy maker spaces?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Show off your workspace!
« Reply #1 on: 11 June 2021, 23:57:02 »
I use a 6 foot folding table, piled high with storage (and more underneath). My actual painting surface is an old sliding keyboard enclosure (with the sliding bits removed) so it's at a comfortable height. I have a daylight LED lamp with a goose neck on the right, with paint storage on the left.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2021, 01:13:51 »
Now that's a lotta trays.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2021, 01:28:56 »
I font know the exact word for it in English. It is a storage space above the bathroom that you access through a trap door.

That would be my gaming storage space.

Workstation is a dirty dish, a pair of shoe boxes for the paints, a mug for the water and another pair of mugs for the brushes and the modelling tools. And a roll of kitchen paper. Not much to see since as you can guess my work space is just the living room table when the kids and wife are not around. I deploy and clean everything each time.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2021, 04:15:34 »
I dont know the exact word for it in English. It is a storage space above the bathroom that you access through a trap door.

One word for it is 'attic'
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner