Register Register

Author Topic: Simple Green bath - how long?  (Read 417 times)

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • CR 21 Bullshit Elemental
Simple Green bath - how long?
« on: 23 September 2020, 09:04:19 »
in my search of the forum's Deep Wisdom (as well as the worldwide netweb), i can't get a firm sense of how long to bathe pewter minis in the simple green. 24 hours? 48? 168? i know it won't harm the minis to oversoak but i'd rather get to repriming sooner rather than later

thanks

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • Ordo Scriptorum
Re: Simple Green bath - how long?
« Reply #1 on: 23 September 2020, 11:52:42 »
I've left stuff in SG and LA's for MONTHS. The Simple Green eventually kinda stained the bare metal but nothing that wasn't covered with primer anyways.
Maker of big things.

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 September 2020, 11:55:55 »
what's the average time to get the paint to come off? a day or two?

BairdEC

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2020, 21:43:56 »
That depends a lot on the thickness and condition of the paint layers and the texture of the surface.  The paint will start coming off of flat surfaces first.   After the mini has been soaking for a few hours, I often take a sharp pick or knife to scratch out paint in grooves, or at least give the SG new surfaces to work on.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2020, 02:00:00 »
Hello! I use simple green quite often as I buy used minis off eBay and repaint them to resell. For metal minis I find the easiest paint removal is after 24 hours or so. If the mini was clear coated it can take a while and the scrubbing can get messy. I've had to soak a set of minis for 3 days once! In 12-24 hour sessions between toothbrush scrubbing. They had 5 different color layers....
But yeah; 24 hours seems to do the trick for most models. I do a toothbrush scrub after 12 hours and then let it soak more, I find it helps to clear away the easily cleaned paint away from the nooks and crannies that the paint doesn't want to let go.

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2020, 09:27:17 »
i've had them in for a few days and am encountering various levels of resistance (as can be expected). the plastics aren't even budging yet. i give each one i pull out a few minutes with a toothbrush and toss them back in if i'm not making good progress.

i am Very Annoyed with the little bits stuck in the recesses. the nerve

Asgo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 25 September 2020, 13:31:57 »
unless those bits notably obscure details I wouldn't bother with trying to remove them.
Stripping paint to get back to a pristine state usually costs more nerve than it's worth.
In all likelihood the remaining bits are just remainder of the previous primer, and as long as that hasn't been used with a shovel that shouldn't impede an new round of priming.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #7 on: 25 September 2020, 17:14:34 »
Yeah, there's always little bits if paint stuck in cracks and corners, not worth the hassle to dig them all out. Once you reprimer the mini you'll never notice they are there.
Not sure about your plastics though?? For me, plastic minis always seem to clean up faster??
Are you using retail spray bottle Simple Green? Or large jug Simple Green? The retail spray is diluted for house hold use, the jugs are a stronger concentrate for dirty jobs. I get a 1/2 gallon jug of concentrate from a local hardware store.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2020, 17:18:58 »
A stiff, short-bristled brush will help. Something like the small end of a nylon gun cleaning brush. I also shortened the bristles of an old toothbrush with a scissors. Dental picks help as well--might be able to get old picks from your dentist, but they're relatively cheap to buy new. You can even find polymer picks (e.g. Tipton Firearm Cleaning 4-Pick Set is $5 on Amazon). The picks can also be used for sculpting, pushing filler material into tight spots in your bases, or scraping off errant glue when dried.

abou

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2020, 16:30:35 »
What also works well for paint stuck in deep recesses is sharpening a tooth pick with a knife. You can create a sort of bevel-point to it that works effectively. The edge won't last long, but you will have plenty of toothpick.

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2020, 17:26:55 »
this is not going well. they've been in for days and i'm not getting much progress even with heavy scrubbing from a toothbrush. which is also causing a bunch of accidental breakage (the poor hollander ii literally fell apart). good thing i have a backup thing of glue. the plastics at least are slow but steady progress.

going to get some lacquer thinner and acetone at the hardware store the next time i'm out

What also works well for paint stuck in deep recesses is sharpening a tooth pick with a knife. You can create a sort of bevel-point to it that works effectively. The edge won't last long, but you will have plenty of toothpick.

i've been using a fresh xacto blade to similar effect

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2020, 17:45:59 »
My cheap-ass $20 Dremel imitation has a brass brush which does wonders for cleaning off paint remnants - for metal minis. The brass appears to be softer than the pewter, and doesn't scratch.

Don't try on plastic minis.

Now some related SG questions:

1) There appear to be dozens of brand variants (carpet cleaner, glass cleaner, etc). I assume I should buy the all-purpose version?

2) They sell all-purpose concentrate. Anyone had experience with it, in terms of mini stripping?

3) Simple Green Orange - why?

4) How often can you re-use a batch of SG? Eg. I put four-six minis in a wide-mouth salsa jar, cover with SG. Do I discard the used batch, or could I get a re-use out of it? Would it be worth straining out paint gunk?

Thanks in advance!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2020, 19:02:07 »
going to get some lacquer thinner and acetone at the hardware store the next time i'm out

Just to be sure you know: Don't use thinner or acetone on the plastics.

Also, there's something to be said for using actual paint stripper to strip paint from metal minis. (Not the first review I've read on Citristrip, but the first I found in a quick search: http://www.miniatureplayer.com/2014/10/removing-paint-from-metal-figures.html)

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2020, 19:52:27 »
Yeah I’ve seen some “here’s what acetone does to plastic” videos. The ones I’m stripping are from the 2007 box so it wouldn’t be the worst loss  :))

Thanks for the paint stripper suggestion I’ll check it out

abou

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2020, 19:54:12 »
Well, if you really want to get the paint off of metal miniatures with a minimum of effort, then brush cleaner is your friend (multiple brands available). It would melt plastic, but it easily removes paint from minis. It will also take off some of the newer polyurethane-based primers out there too.

To be honest, Simple Green is overrated. Only good for plastics to be honest.

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2020, 21:18:00 »
I’m seeing that now, yeah (at least it was an inexpensive lesson). I actually had better luck with pine sol.

Going straight to the toxic, caustic shit first from now on!

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2020, 12:17:42 »
Tried some mineral spirits because that’s what I have in the house

Toothbrush won’t budge the paint. A metal implement like the hobby knife or the end of tweezers removes the pain but scratches the surface on the pewter base and Malak I’m testing on. Would acetone work with the toothbrush?

abou

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 27 September 2020, 14:09:32 »
Oh, mineral spirits don't do much of anything once something is cured. Outside of cleaning fresh oil-based products off a paint brush or removing old wax, it won't do anything.

NeonKnight

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2020, 14:14:40 »
To clean the Mini get yerself a nice stiff bristle electric toothbrush.

Something like one of these:

AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

DEZOAT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2020, 14:21:34 »
 OK . Now from my experience of cleaning minis. A while back I use to buy Simple Green Max I don't think they make that anymore. That stuff would work about 95 % of the time. One thing you will run into is , the paint that is used on the mini. I have some minis were the paint came off like glove and other like what you going through. Now that with Simple Green or Simple Green Max. Now if you use Acetone wear chem glove. When using acetone if the minis are glue together will come part in the Acetone bath so watch for the parts. That stuff works about 95% of the time again it the paints that are used to be worry about. Now Pine Sol  :bang: :bang: :bang: I will never ever used that stuff . One for me it made mini very gritty and a lot brush time. Oh it took alot water rinse that stuff off. It was nasty on my hands . One thing about Pine Sol to me it seem that I work alot harder cleaning with stuff then the other. It work about 90% of the time. The major question is what kind of paint is on the minis. I hope this helps.

DEZOAT

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2020, 14:25:12 »
To clean the Mini get yerself a nice stiff bristle electric toothbrush.

Something like one of these:

:o :thumbsup: That a great idea thanks NeonKnight

RazorclawXLS

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 27 September 2020, 16:33:35 »
Is there an equivalent product to Simple Green or is the same product sold under a different name in Europe, and if sold under a different name, what is it? Asking for my friend.

BairdEC

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 27 September 2020, 19:59:00 »
No idea, but I'd check the cleaning sections of your local hardware store.  That's where it gets stocked in the US.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #24 on: 28 September 2020, 10:23:18 »
I know in the UK Detterol (sp?) is a common paint stripper
Maker of big things.

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 28 September 2020, 17:22:01 »
after almost a week of failed negotiations, i was forced to call in the lacquer thinner.

there were no survivors

RazorclawXLS

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 29 September 2020, 13:11:53 »
No idea, but I'd check the cleaning sections of your local hardware store.  That's where it gets stocked in the US.

Ok, so how is Simple Green classified as? A lot of people are using brand and product name for such things, but what is it actually? What is it classified as on the sticker at the back of the bottle/package? What type of product should I look for in my parts of the wood?

NeonKnight

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #27 on: 29 September 2020, 13:14:57 »
Ok, so how is Simple Green classified as? A lot of people are using brand and product name for such things, but what is it actually? What is it classified as on the sticker at the back of the bottle/package? What type of product should I look for in my parts of the wood?

Google-fu ...... HIYA!!!!!!

https://simplegreen.com/products/

get the PRO HD if you can
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Sartris

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 29 September 2020, 13:25:15 »
yeah, the standards stuff (the first thing) did not cut the mustard. i know there is a concentrated version but the place where i picked it up did not have it

for pewter and lead, the lacquer thinner was magic. a few minutes in the cup followed by work with the toothbrush until the paint either flaked or faded off. they all have a darkish lead-like appearance now but i assume that won't matter once i re-prime. i'll give them a quick bath in some dish soap water beforehand.

Register