Register Register

Author Topic: Halo Light setup .. anyone have one?  (Read 339 times)

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
  • When all else fails shoot the messenger.
Halo Light setup .. anyone have one?
« on: 18 October 2022, 11:25:18 »
So I am getting ready to order the parts to build a halo light system to paint under and do my mini photography under. I am thinking of modding it with a ring light at the top of the arch to be able to place a camera straight down to film me painting.

Has anyone set one up?

Pics would be nice if possible so I can snake ideas from you...  ;D
There would be less humans if they were tastier....

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: Halo Light setup .. anyone have one?
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2022, 13:57:29 »
Nope. Thought about doing one, but felt like I wanted open air in front of me. So I went with a diffuse LED panel from a bit further up to add to my magnifying light. Best equipment purchase I've made in a long time.  Just a flood of light at the right temp for about $30 or so. If I were to do photography, I'd probably add a separate mountable ring light.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 19 October 2022, 00:13:12 »
Nope. Thought about doing one, but felt like I wanted open air in front of me. So I went with a diffuse LED panel from a bit further up to add to my magnifying light. Best equipment purchase I've made in a long time.  Just a flood of light at the right temp for about $30 or so. If I were to do photography, I'd probably add a separate mountable ring light.

I will try to do a quick sketch tomorrow I think what you and I are thinking are different in idea, but that way I can get your feedback on my thoughts.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2022, 11:50:34 »
I use what could best be described as a "small halo" -- instead of arcing over the entire desk, it's about 15"/39cm across. Minis go under it, but it's not up over my head.
https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/led-workbench-light-double-wide-extra-tall/
That combines with more diffuse lighting from overhead, including a ring light over my right shoulder.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2022, 13:09:20 »
I use what could best be described as a "small halo" -- instead of arcing over the entire desk, it's about 15"/39cm across. Minis go under it, but it's not up over my head.

That combines with more diffuse lighting from overhead, including a ring light over my right shoulder.

I saw that little arch light while doing research for my portable case and led to me seeing several Halo setups but none with a camera mount in the overhead. I am trying to eliminate all directional lighting both for painting and photo work. I am thinking a 24" arch will give me enough clearance to paint under and do photo work. The camera mount is going to be for filming and on screen preview while painting.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2022, 13:52:48 »
You talking about something like this?

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 19 October 2022, 14:09:50 »
You talking about something like this?

nope more like this ...

Building that is no problem but no one has put a ring light in the middle and an opening for a camera to shoot straight down that I can find for ideas. I may just have to go scratch build all the way. Thinking of creating the arches and ring light/camera opening in the top on the cnc but wanted to see if there were other ways of doing it. Or any flaws to doing it that I haven't thought of. I have a 36"x36" space to build my ultimate painting station.

« Last Edit: 19 October 2022, 14:20:05 by sounguru »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 19 October 2022, 14:54:43 »
Holy cow.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 20 October 2022, 09:53:58 »
Holy cow.

Now you see where I am headed. To build something like that it will be under $50 so price isn't the issue so much as design.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 20 October 2022, 11:25:03 »
Maybe distance mitigate it but are you thinking about diffusion?

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 20 October 2022, 13:38:55 »
Maybe distance mitigate it but are you thinking about diffusion?
That is really no loss Muslin strips will solve that...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 20 October 2022, 13:50:05 »
That is really no loss Muslin strips will solve that...
Look into the LED strips that are dimmable and tunable for color temperature. I use these to light my bench, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYGDGUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and depending on what I'm doing, I tweak the color temp to suite. The ability to dial back the brightness is also very handy.  Sometimes there is just too much light reflecting off an object or surface and detail gets washed out, but a slightly dimmer light lets details throught.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 20 October 2022, 14:57:35 »
Look into the LED strips that are dimmable and tunable for color temperature. I use these to light my bench, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYGDGUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and depending on what I'm doing, I tweak the color temp to suite. The ability to dial back the brightness is also very handy.  Sometimes there is just too much light reflecting off an object or surface and detail gets washed out, but a slightly dimmer light lets details throught.

Dimmable isn't the issue it is diffusion... also what you linked to is still directional which is the main thing I am trying to eliminate.
« Last Edit: 20 October 2022, 15:00:42 by sounguru »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 20 October 2022, 15:39:04 »
Does the setup need to bend smoothly? You could use angled sections and then use a proper strip diffuser.

sounguru

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 20 October 2022, 17:17:20 »
Does the setup need to bend smoothly? You could use angled sections and then use a proper strip diffuser.

A Halo light setup is to provide so that no shadow is cast on the mini while painting and doing photography. You can not achieve this with a directional light unless you want to setup 5 or more lights. No it does not need to bend smoothly but it is better if it does. There are smaller arches you can buy but they are just that a single arch so no light from the front or the back, they are setup like what you are describing.

The diffuser is not the issue in any way that is already figured out for when I need it for photography and can be put away when not in use. The question was has anyone seen one with a ring light at the top so a camera can shoot straight down from above the halo. I was wondering if it would produce a shadow area and mounting options more than anything else. I have the CNC so I can cut all the parts that is no problem I just maybe the first to try it it seems.

Register