Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Infantry Damage Calculations  (Read 2801 times)

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
(Answered) Infantry Damage Calculations
« on: 22 March 2011, 12:45:05 »
before the big crash, I'd made a thread regarding this question that went unanswered, so I'd like to be able to get a solid answer from the people that be.

I've received mixed examples of how to calculate damage to Conventional Infantry in Battletech, whether it's from Total Warfare, Tactical Operations, or Megamek. Since listing the various ways that I've found damage to infantry calculated, I could put any one of your heads spinning if I listed them.

Instead, I would ask that you guys do me a favor, instead.

Please, showing your math, show me how I would calculate damage against a squad of Conventional Foot Infantry if I hit it using

1) A Cluster-Round from an LB-X 20

2) A Standard SRM 6 volley

This way, I can figure out which bits are either errata, contradictory, or aren't clarified... and which elements are correct.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2012, 19:11:27 by Xotl »

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
Re: Infantry Damage Calculations
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2011, 12:56:52 »
Why don't you tell us what you think it is and why, and we'll confirm or deny.
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2011, 13:40:21 »
Because I'm not sure what to believe

Because there are multiple possibilities that I have been presented

and more importantly

It would take you less effort to type out the correct way to deal those types of damage then to read and understand what I'd be trying to say.

------
But if you *MUST* know:

TW says that Cluster (Ballistic) damage is dealt as Damage/10+1. That could either be sum damage, or dividing each cluster and rounding up.

Examples:
LB-X 10 Cluster Round
Total Warfare lists the formula, but gives no examples
A)Megamek calculates it as ((SUM DAMAGE)/10)+1, for example (10/10=1)+1=2
B)TacOps, in the print version of the book under the section for Infantry Armor (Pg 317), lists an LB-X 10 Autocannon cluster round as doing 10+1 (11) damage, which could be put into a formula as ((Damage_for_individual_cluster/10, rounding up)*Number of Clusters)+1.
C)Lastly, if you were to apply the calculation to each cluster hit, for example (Individual Clusterhit/10, rounding up)+1)*Number of clusters, an LB-X 20 could become particularly deadly against infantry, at 20 points of damage, even before dishing out any modifiers for being out in the open.

SRM 6
A)According to the example in Total Warfare, 20 LRMs deal their full damage value, divided by 5, giving 4 points of damage. With this in mind, I'd expect SRMs to be the same way, so an SRM 6 has a maximum of 12 damage, divided by 5 making 2.4, rounded up to 3.
(SumDamageofallmissiles/5, roundup).
(6*2=12)/5=2.4-->3

B)However, playing Megamek gives a different calculation, in which rather than SRMs doing damage as per sum, it applies the division to each individual missile... causing six damage. In formulaic terms
(Individual Cluster Hit of single missile/5, roundup)*clusters in volley[/u], Or ((2/5=0.4-->1)*6=6

If it were the way listed in "b", it would still agree with the example with the LRMs
((5/5=1)*4=4
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 13:45:07 by Ice_Trey »

Chunga

• Patron Saint of Team Davion
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • <3
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2011, 21:42:09 »
I believe the example on 317 of TO is wrong. Let me confer and get back to you. The Tac Ops 2nd Printing PDF has this for the example: [((20 ÷ 10) + 1)].

For the record, I believe the answers are A for both.
« Last Edit: 22 March 2011, 21:44:13 by Chunga »
"Don't think 'cos I understand, I care." - Sneakerpimps
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I wasn't there.  If I was there, I was sleeping.  If I wasn't sleeping, I didn't hear or see anything.
Money has never been a problem for Davion. "Why waste money on social services when you can spend it on weapons instead?" - aldous

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2012, 14:38:27 »
Hello,

Clearing out old rules question. We can confirm that the answer is A for both.

As a note that the latest release of TacOps has this error corrected.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.