Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Aerospace facing changes while at zero velocity at low altitude  (Read 1220 times)

ArcFurnace

• Corporal
Can aerospace units make facing changes while at zero Velocity at low altitude / on the ground map? I suspected not, but was not certain and wanted to clarify.

Type A:

Aerodyne units in atmosphere can make "free" facing changes given that they have moved a sufficient distance in a straight line prior to this facing change (p84 of TW), and this movement may be split across two turns. Given that they moved a sufficient (or more than sufficient) distance in a straight line on the previous turn, can they make a facing change on the next turn while at 0 Velocity? They will presumably also want to expend Thrust Points to Hover in order to avoid stalling, but that's a separate issue.

Type B:

Facing changes using Thrust Points at 0 Velocity are possible on the Space / High-Altitude map (Facing, p77), but page 84 of TW applies several further limitations on spending Thrust Points to change facing for atmospheric operations:

1. Thrust Points cannot be spent to change facing if the unit has already changed facing in that hex.
2. Thrust Points cannot be spent to change facing "if this is the first hex of their movement on the low-altitude map".
3. "On the ground map, each such change must be preceded by at least eight hexes of movement, which may be split across two turns" .

Point 3 raises a similar question to Type A - if an aerospace unit on the ground map moved at least eight hexes on the previous turn, can it make an additional facing change using Thrust Points during the current turn, even if it has not moved due to dropping to 0 Velocity? Of course, this cannot be combined with a Type A facing change due to the limitation from Point 1.

However, if point 2 is meant to refer to the first hex of their movement for the turn, then any aerospace unit on the low-altitude map at Velocity 0 cannot expend Thrust Points to make facing changes at all - their "first hex of movement" is also their only hex of movement. This is the primary rule that made me think that "splitting the required minimum movement across two turns" is supposed to require actual movement on both turns, since otherwise this particular limitation functions differently on the low-altitude map and the ground map. That requirement would result in atmospheric facing changes at 0 Velocity being impossible in all cases.

If this is the desired result, specifying that aerospace units cannot make facing changes while at 0 Velocity in atmosphere would eliminate the edge cases.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2021, 13:11:30 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
If you stall and successfully make the control roll to prevent losing control and losing further altitude, you may turn to face any facing you like.  As you had to opt not to apply additional thrust to stall, however, that would be the end of your unit's movement.  Best of luck not striking the ground.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

ArcFurnace

• Corporal
Interesting. I think I was imagining an ASF using the Hover option while also using additional thrust to turn in place, but on reading my original post I didn't actually specify this. In either case it would make you quite vulnerable, since 0 Velocity at the end of the turn makes it far easier to shoot you. Best used when well away from any enemies (or, you could just turn around "normally", heh).

Register