Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered UPDATED) PSR checks to avoid damage when exiting building hexes  (Read 278 times)

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
Looks like I may have found a rules inconsistency regarding PSRs and damage to units and buildings while moving through buildings (below roof level).

On one hand the way actual rules in Exiting Building Hexes section on p. 170 TW phrase make it a bit unclear, but the last paragraph of the example on P. 170-171 TW says that a unit exiting a building doesn't need to make a PSR to avoid damage to itself, and doesn't damage the building, a 'Mech only needs to make a PSR for entering a building hex (even within the same building). Same isn't explicitly stated, but could be deduced from the rules on p. 67 BMM.

On the other hand Building Movement section of Piloting/Driving Skill Roll Table (pp. 60 and 306 TW) and Piloting Skill Roll Table (pp. 54 and 139 BMM) give modifiers for "entering/leaving" building hexes with a footnote that these modifiers are "to avoid damage only".

So do 'Mechs and Vehicles need to roll to avoid damaging themselves while leaving buildings into non-building hexes? How many times do they need to roll to go from one building hex into adjacent building hex? Once or twice? And do 'Mechs, Vehicles and Protomechs damage building hexes themselves not only as they enter, but also when they leave?

To be fair I'm about 80% sure that the tables are incorrect, and we need to scratch word "leaving" from them, but I'd prefer an official confirmation before I report it in the errata thread.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 16:19:18 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
You make a check both to enter and to exit.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2021, 16:19:27 by Xotl »
3028-3050 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info and Quirk lists.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Alfaryn

• Master Sergeant
Interesting...

I guess that means that the last paragraph of the example text on pp. 170-171 TW needs an errata? It explicitly states that 'Mechs in hexes B and C that were leaving a building in that example did not need to make any Piloting Skill Rolls? And that a mention about a PSR should also go to Exiting Building Hexes rules on p. 170 TW, and somewhere in BMM (possibly in place of that picture on p. 67), which as far as I can see have no rules about exiting buildings at all?

Also, you still haven't answered my question about the number PSRs needed while moving directly from one building hex to an adjacent building hex. And, while I'm at it, if the answer depends on whether these hexes belong to the same building.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2021, 21:13:00 by Alfaryn »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Actually, I'm going to walk this one back.  Both solutions require errata, but requiring both entering and exiting requires a lot more and also adds more rolls besides.  So I'm going to say that you only roll when entering; errata the tables: TW pp. 60 and 306, and BMM pp. 54 and 139.
3028-3050 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info and Quirk lists.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0