Register Register

Author Topic: Disembarked Infantry and spotting  (Read 794 times)

Oniralas

• Recruit
Disembarked Infantry and spotting
« on: 22 November 2021, 08:20:51 »
Hello Mechwarriors!

So this came up in a game yesterday and to preface; I am super new to BT. After disembarking infantry from a VTOL turn one on high ground and entering the combat phase, I wanted to fire some LRM carriers tucked in behind a mountain using the indirect rule - and nominated the infantry as spotters. Opponent stated that infantry can't do anything round one, as rules state they can't attack nor move... but spotting is neither of those things. The rules that dictated mounted infantry explicitly call out no spotting (which makes sense... they're in a metal box) and disembarked calls out no attacking or moving, but no explicit spotting rule. Furthermore, from what I can tell the only two things required to nominate a unit as a spotter in any round is

1) They are friendly
2) Have mk1 eyeballs to see the target (LOS)

which is why there are indirect penalties for shooting... mk1 eyeballs aren't exactly precise. For that you'd want TAG (which wouldn't be allowed on disembarked units because it's essentially an attack/action).

Just looking for clarification as someone who is going to use combined arms a ton in the future. It would seem odd to me that, since there is no "action" to spot (the only action would be from the one shooting the weapon, not the guy pointing at the big robot on the radio) that infantry would just have to sit there quietly for an entire round after they get out of the transport.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Disembarked Infantry and spotting
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2021, 04:34:03 »
We ask that you add page # references to any questions you have, per the sticky.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register