Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Death from Above Failure Damage Calculations  (Read 859 times)

einherjarvalk

• Recruit
(Answered) Death from Above Failure Damage Calculations
« on: 04 February 2022, 00:00:00 »
TW and BMM both specify that when a 'Mech fails a DFA attack, damage is calculated as if the 'Mech had fallen 2 levels (regardless of attacker/defender elevation), always applied on the rear hit location table.

The standard formula for determining fall damage (of any sort) is 1 * (weight/10, rounded up) * (levels fallen + 1), meaning a 'Mech that falls over from something like a failed 20+ damage PSR would calculate as 1 * (weight/10, rounded up) * (0 + 1). Is my reading of the DFA rules correct in that a failed DFA would calculate as 1 * (weight/10, rounded up) * (2 + 1), or was the "2 level fall" intended to replace the "levels fallen + 1" part of the equation entirely?

The example I ran into tonight involved a Wolverine failing its DFA, which I calculated as 1 * (55/10 = ~6) * (2 + 1) = 18 damage, but I want to be completely sure it wasn't intended to be 1 * (55/10 = ~6) * (2) = 12 damage instead.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2022, 00:10:19 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Death from Above Failure Damage Calculations
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2022, 00:10:03 »
Fall damage is 1 per 10 tons (round up), multiplied by the number of levels fallen +1.  For a DFA fall, that would result in a total modifier of x 3.

So a Wolverine would be 6 points, multiplied by 3, equalling 18.

In other words, no, the DFA rules were not meant to override the standard falling rules.  The DFA rules say how many levels you fall, not what the multiplier is.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2022, 14:51:48 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Register