Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Unloading units from Bays in Support Vehicles  (Read 2744 times)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
(Answered) Unloading units from Bays in Support Vehicles
« on: 14 October 2020, 17:02:45 »
On p. 207 of Total Warfare (2020 edition, 6th printing), it states ...
"Unless specifically noted otherwise, units use the same rules to mount and dismount from Support Vehicles as for mounting and dismounting from grounded aerospace units (see Carrying Units, p. 89, in the Aerospace Movement section)."

And on p. 91 of Total Warfare (2020 edition, 6th printing), it states ...
"Units carried by Small Craft and DropShips dismount into adjacent hexes (any adjacent hex, though the hex must be within two levels of the level of the underlying hex(s) of the aerospace unit), with a facing of their choice, and the dismounting unit must be able to enter the terrain (though a unit may use the Minimum Movement rule, p. 49, to enter a hex, but it still cannot be prohibited from entering that hex). The dismounting unit may not violate the stacking limits."

I'd just like to confirm that 'mechs and vehicles dismounting from Bays in Support Vehicles (and Large Support Vehicles) would also dismount into an adjacent hex (especially as dismounting into the same hex as an Large Support Vehicle would violate stacking), because I couldn't find anything suggesting otherwise. (While mounting a Support Vehicle (or Large Support Vehicle) is specified on p. 207 of Total Warfare.)

As I understand it ...
| Support Vehicle | Large Support Vehicle
Carried units mount from | ... same hex as SV | ... adjacent hex to LSV
Carried units dismount to | ... adjacent hex to SV | ... adjacent hex to LSV

Is this correct?

(As a side note, this does mean that, while a unit can dismount from a naval Support Vehicle onto a adjacent non-water hex, it is not possible for a ground vehicle to mount a non-Large naval Support Vehicle, as it would have to enter the water hex to do so.)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 15:28:06 by Xotl »
"That's Lieutenant Faceplant to you, Corporal!"

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

"Hmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a MM map."

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: (Research) Unloading units from Bays in Support Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2020, 12:26:36 »
[Bump]

(This is research before potentially raising a query re MegaMek's handling of these.)

Things that I have learnt through clicking too fast on 'Move Done' on MegaMek: Double-check the CF of the building before jumping onto it, check artillery arrival times before standing in the neighbouring hex, and don't run across your own minefield.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2020, 21:13:40 »
[Bump]

Is my reading of the rules correct?

(Also, Merry Christmas!)

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2021, 16:01:37 »
Bump.

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2021, 20:05:38 »
Bump

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2021, 20:16:45 »
Polite bump

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2021, 15:28:00 »
You are correct all around.

There is a BattleMech Landing Craft in TR Irregulars which I think works fine by the rules (or so I hope).
« Last Edit: 11 May 2021, 15:30:19 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Simon Landmine

• Lieutenant
  • Enthusiastic mapmaker
Re: (Answered) Unloading units from Bays in Support Vehicles
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2021, 19:41:06 »
Thanks!
(I'd been building some landing-craft analogues in MML for my coastal maps, and wanted to double-check their behaviour in MM!)

Register