Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) LOS exactly between two hexes, clarifications  (Read 725 times)

mvp7

• Warrant Officer
If line of sight between two units is exactly between two hexes "the target mech's controller decides which of the two hexes lies along the LOS". I have read this section from GoAC rulebook and the BattleMech Manual but I still have a few question and things I'd like to have clarified.

0 - Wording of these rules (GoAC p.13, BMM p.22) makes no mention of choosing a 'path' that applies to all uncertain pairs of hexes along the line of sight, it only dictates that target chooses between the uncertain hexes on individual basis. Since the diagram in the books shows the 'alternative paths', I write the rest of these questions on the assumption that the target's controller indeed chooses a 'path' that decides all uncertain hex pairs rather than choosing hexes individual.

1 - When exactly does the target's controller make the decision? (1A, 1B and 1C are the possible interpretations I was left with after reading the manual)

1A - Can attacker demand a binding decision by the controller of potential target before actually declaring a weapon attack? If yes, then can the attacker choose not to declare any weapon attacks against that target? If yes, then in such situation, would the potential target's controller's decision of 'path' still apply for the rest of the turn or would the choice instead fall to the former would-be-attacker if the original potential-target later decided to declare attacks against it?

1B - Does target make the binding decision after attacker has made a single (binding) attack declaration? Is the decision made right after the first weapon attack declaration against that target so further declarations and choice of primary target could be made with this knowledge but the initial attack would still need to be resolved?

1C - Does target make the binding decision only after the attacker has (bindingly) declared all weapon attacks?

2 - If 1B or 1C is how it works then what happens if target player chooses a path with blocked line of sight? I assume the attack(s) will still have to be resolved and player can choose to not make the attack(s) as they would "automatically miss".

2.1 - Can an attack be declared against a target that is beyond the weapon's range? If 1B is how the rules work then could the attacker, for example, declare a machine gun attack against a target 10 hexes away, forcing the target player to make the LOS 'path' decision (and subsequently choose not to make the attack as it has no chance of hitting)?

I haven't found anything in the GoAC of BMM that would prohibit declaring attacks in any situation (other than 'targeting' of friendly mechs being prohibited). Unless 1A is how the rules work, there is a precedent for attacks being declared against impossible target (if the target in 1B or 1C chooses a path with blocked LOS) which would seem to imply that attacks can be declared regardless of if they can hit.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I have missed something.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2021, 14:23:12 by Xotl »

mvp7

• Warrant Officer
Re: (Research) LOS exactly between two hexes, clarifications
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2021, 14:22:21 »
Giving this a two month bump.

Since the posting of this question I bought the new Total Warfare PDF and checked how the LOS between two hexes is handled there. It doesn't seem to give any more instructions on how to time and handle the potentially blocked attack declarations either.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) LOS exactly between two hexes, clarifications
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2021, 14:23:03 »
This one took some time to hash out; apologies.

Line of sight is a determination step that comes before formal attack declaration.  You can check for LOS, and if your estimate was off or the defender chooses a hex path that makes LOS impossible, you can then check for LOS to something else, all before declaring attacks; i.e. LOS checks are not binding.  This follows the layout as seen in AGOAC and the BMM (and realistically, how everyone plays anyways), but this will be made explicit in future printings.  The QSR will be updated accordingly.  TW is too difficult to really rewrite, but an errata will be issued for it.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

mvp7

• Warrant Officer
Re: (Answered) LOS exactly between two hexes, clarifications
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2021, 14:44:11 »
Thanks for the clarifications! That's pretty much how we ended up playing these situations.

Register