Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Request clarification about primary & secondary target modifiers  (Read 209 times)

Brian_K

• Recruit
Hi. I'm confused about the following rule related to the multiple targets modifier:
If any declared targets are in the attacker’s forward arc, one must be the primary target.

While AGoAC and the Battlemech Manual both acknowledge complications about multiple forward arcs, they don't clear up the following questions for me.

Can the brown mech in this picture rotate the torso to the right, choose the red or green mechs as a primary, and still fire left arm and leg weapons to the white mech as a secondary target?
Note that the white mech would be in the leg weapon's forward arc. Does the situation change if the brown mech doesn't fire any leg weapons?

It seems the brown mech must rotate the torso to the right to make the red mech the primary target and still select the white mech as a secondary target. If the brown mech rotates the torso to the left, choosing the red mech as a primary target will preclude having the white mech as a secondary target. The white mech will be in the forward arc for both legs and upper body. It seems very odd to have more options by rotating the torso away from a secondary target. Do I understand correctly?

Thanks
-Brian
« Last Edit: 13 August 2021, 11:54:43 by Hammer »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Request clarification about primary & secondary target modifiers
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2021, 19:56:45 »
Can the brown mech in this picture rotate the torso to the right, choose the red or green mechs as a primary, and still fire left arm and leg weapons to the white mech as a secondary target?

With both leg weapons and a torso twist, you have two "forward" arcs, and that's covered in the "Multiple Firing Arcs" quote.  If brown declared against white during declaration, brown must pick white as its primary after a rightward torso twist in this scenario: white is a declared target and the only one in a forward arc.  Red and green, not being in brown's forward arc(s) even after the twist, would not be eligible to be the primary in a multiple targets scenario.

Note that the white mech would be in the leg weapon's forward arc. Does the situation change if the brown mech doesn't fire any leg weapons?

If you didn't declare against white with any leg weapons, you now have no target in a forward arc at all, and so can pick any target in arc as the primary.

It seems the brown mech must rotate the torso to the right to make the red mech the primary target and still select the white mech as a secondary target. If the brown mech rotates the torso to the left, choosing the red mech as a primary target will preclude having the white mech as a secondary target. The white mech will be in the forward arc for both legs and upper body. It seems very odd to have more options by rotating the torso away from a secondary target. Do I understand correctly?

If you twist leftward, and declared against both the red and white mechs, white must be primary (only target declared against that's in a forward arc), but red can still be chosen as a secondary target, using the left side firing arc.  The only way to make red primary in the leftward scenario is to not have declared against white.

I hope this helps; let me know if anything is unclear or you have follow-on questions.  I'll be moving this to the Total Warfare subforum in the next day or two.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Brian_K

• Recruit
Re: Request clarification about primary & secondary target modifiers
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2021, 21:14:33 »
Thanks, I now understand either front arc will trigger that restriction. And, I'll post future similar questions in the Total Warfare subforum.

Register