Register Register

Author Topic: (Answered) Streak into partial  (Read 385 times)

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
(Answered) Streak into partial
« on: 14 August 2021, 10:05:52 »
Q: Can missiles from streak launchers fired at a unit in partial cover hit cover?

Streaks: BMM p.104

Partial Cover BMMp. 26
"Attacks against a target with partial cover ... if the hit location roll indicates a leg, the attack strikes the cover instead. "

Streaks: BMM p.104

"Make an attack roll as normal. If successful, all missiles from the launcher automatically hit (no roll on the Cluster Hits Table is required); the player rolls to determine hit locations as per the regular cluster rules."

I think the clear reading is that when a missile from a streak fired into partial hits a leg location, that missile does no damage, i.e. it hits the cover.

However a dissenter reads a contradiction between "all missiles ... automatically hit" and the partial cover mechanic wherein a missile doesn't strike a target, concluding that leg hits for streaks into partial should be re-rolled.

I think their reading is on a very long limb in that it fails to accept the constraint the parenthetical puts on the "all missiles..hit " and fails to accept the explicit description of how to finish resolving the attack ("resolve...per regular cluster rules"). However, even if I am indeed correct that streaks fired into partial can hit cover, then obviously there's still a way to mis-read this. So I wonder if it may be possible to just abandon the "all missiles hit" language and parenthetical all together for something like "the cluster roll is an automatic 11" (kinda following the AMS hedge) that'd be both concise and even more unambiguous.

« Last Edit: 14 August 2021, 14:23:37 by Xotl »

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
Re: Streak into partial.
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2021, 13:42:05 »
The exchange was not during a match so I have reason to believe it's a sincere misread rather than a case of excessive conniving rules lawyering.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Streak into partial
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2021, 14:23:30 »
Partial cover still applies: all missiles strike, but as it says, normal hit location procedures are still followed, and so all missiles might strike the cover.

I'll clarify the text in future BMM prints, using your suggestion.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Bison AIs

• Master Sergeant
  • Flechs Dev
    • Flechs
Re: (Answered) Streak into partial
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2021, 22:16:45 »
👍