Author Topic: Renamed Systems  (Read 13151 times)

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
    • Sarna Unified Cartography Kit
Re: Renamed Systems
« Reply #30 on: 23 March 2012, 17:47:15 »
It didn't matter then, it has significance in the 30th century.

I suppose that would be true as an in-universe explanation. But by that same point, Alfirk shoudn't have been appearing on the maps since Comstar actively kept that system secret. Publishing the location would have been counter to their objective.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #31 on: 24 March 2012, 00:25:58 »
Adhara/Trip was still on the maps as Adhara in 3055.  The universe map in the Solaris VII Boxed Set, printed in 1991, is circa 3055.

Also, in Periphery 2nd a Canopian unit is noted as being stationed on Addhara in 3058.  I'm assuming the second d is a typo here as Addhara is in the Marian Hegemony and the Marians would probably object to a Canopian "garrison" of one of their worlds.  ;)  Of course in the map section of Periphery 2nd Adhara is noted to be Trip.

The 3059 wall map with a 1997 FASA imprint names it Trip.  I think this came with BattleForce 2.

I have a wall map for "Classic BattleTech" in 3067 with a 2002 Fanpro/Whizkids imprint that has the name Adhara there again.  From what I can piece together, this probably came in the 2002 Classic BattleTech Boxed Set.

I have a new font "Classic BattleTech" map in 3067 from the Classic BattleTech Boxed Set with a 2007 Catalyst/Whizkids imprint that names it Trip.

Finally, a BattleTech map in 3067 from the BattleTech 25th Anniversary Edition with a 2010 Catalyst/Topps imprint that names it Trip.

I do not have a 3025 wall map of the Inner Sphere.  I would be interested in finding out if there is any mention of Adhara on that map like there is in the Solaris VII map.

Based on all of the information I have, it would appear that Adhara was Adhara until at least 3055, and that sometime after that somebody renamed it Trip.  And somebody else disagreed with the renaming because the name Adhara continues to be used in publications after this date, and even some maps.

edit

Era Report 3052 shows it Trip in 3052.

Handbook MPS shows it as Adhara in 3025 and Trip in 3067.

There definitely seems to be some confusion on when exactly the name changed, that is for certain...
« Last Edit: 24 March 2012, 00:39:08 by Medron Pryde »
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 24 March 2012, 00:38:46 »
yes actually the Adhara/Trip naming is confusing, and I've not seen any confirmation on the forums on when exactly the name change in-universe took place [part of the reason for this listing here, hopefully someone points to the official word or even declares it here for all of our benefit]. The 3025 MoC map in Handbook: Major Periphery States name it as Adhara while the 3040 map from Historical: War of 3039 names it Trip in 3040. Era Report:3052, Era Report:3062, Jihad: Final Reckoning and FM:3085 maps all name it as Trip [3050, 3052, 3057, 3063, 3067, 3081, 3085] so I put it at ~3040+. Wish we had more maps between 3025 and 3040.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #33 on: 24 March 2012, 00:50:45 »
One thing I note with interest is that both maps in 3039 and Era Report 3052 are noted as being copyright 3067, which means they are generated in 3067 to show what things were like in the past.

As such, I put some doubt on how they would name a planet that has a different name IN THE PRESENT DAY OF 3067.  Would they use the name it had at the time, or the modern name that they call it now?

I've never seen any map printed AT THE TIME that says Adhara is named Trip until the maps made in 3058 in Periphery 2nd, while the 3055 map shows it as Adhara.  To me, this strongly suggests that the name changed in that time period, and that maps printed after that time are using the modern name unless they remember to manually change to the name it had at the time.

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 24 March 2012, 00:58:46 »
...which is why I said Adhara/Trip confuses me. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a 3055 dated map... would be nice to get a hold the map from Solaris Boxed set to compare with 3052 and 3057.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #35 on: 24 March 2012, 01:01:04 »
It is a cool map.  It has a map of Solaris City on one side, and a map of the Inner Sphere on the other.

The fact that it has the city map on the "back side" is the reason I never hung that map on my wall.

hehehe

My Deviant Art Page

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #36 on: 24 March 2012, 01:56:02 »
Adhara was renamed Trip sometime before 2nd Periphery SB. All mentions of it as Adhara after that  date are just errors (and show why I hate renamed worlds with a passion of nuclear fury). All mentions of it as Trip before that time are also errors (and shows why I hate renamed worlds with a passion of nuclear fury).

With regards,
Øystein

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #37 on: 24 March 2012, 04:49:36 »
ok now I'm even more confused... Solaris Boxed set is c3055, printed in '91 according to Medron, and my copy of Periphery [1692] is c3059 printed in '96.

Does this mean that c3058 the system is supposedly named Trip [considering that Periphery SB Addhara (sic) is an error] and that the 3040, 3050 and 3052 are all incorrect in naming Adhara Trip because of it still being named Adhara in 3055]?

elizibar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: 24 March 2012, 05:34:13 »
Go with "The names are used interchangeably for many years" :p

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 24 March 2012, 21:07:24 »
Go with "The names are used interchangeably for many years" :p

I was actually considering that... reading back on Blantleff it would appear that the Lothians and Circinians were calling the planet by their respective names. I'm guessing that in 3025 it actually had two names, but Dersidatz was officially dropped when the CF fully took over the system. [wish I knew when that occurred]

Hmm... the original Periphery sourcebook doesn't mention Hope or Lost Hope in conjunction with the Fiefdom of Randis, but it does state on page 127 that the Barony of Strang is sometimes referred to as the Barony of Lost Hope. There's got to be a conspiracy theory in there somewhere ;)

Blakist [mis]information warfare, one of its victims being the Sarna author who wrote the article on Randis?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 25 March 2012, 03:41:58 »
Blakist [mis]information warfare, one of its victims being the Sarna author who wrote the article on Randis?
Well, Masters & Minions and Interstellar Players 2 both confirm that the name of the planet when it was first settled was "Hope" or "Hope IV" - but having been through the quoted references, I can't see a mention of it being changed to "Lost Hope" at any point. That doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't the case... just that someone hasn't cited the name with a reference. It's interesting that Randis gets a lot more detail and screen time in Masters & Minions and IP2 than it did in books actually focussed on the Periphery ;)

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 25 March 2012, 04:44:00 »
Well, Masters & Minions and Interstellar Players 2 both confirm that the name of the planet when it was first settled was "Hope" or "Hope IV" - but having been through the quoted references, I can't see a mention of it being changed to "Lost Hope" at any point. That doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't the case... just that someone hasn't cited the name with a reference. It's interesting that Randis gets a lot more detail and screen time in Masters & Minions and IP2 than it did in books actually focussed on the Periphery ;)

I need 1,000,000.67 signatures to get Hope included in the 2765 map. I'll put you at #1 hehehe

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 25 March 2012, 06:59:27 »
Well, the fourth planet was briefly know as "A New Hope", but they got sued....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 25 March 2012, 08:29:15 »
that's when they lost hope?

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #44 on: 25 March 2012, 10:24:31 »
Also remember some of these may not be renames, so much as talking about a different planet (or moon) in system.

2 planets in system, system goes by name of planet #1.... then planet #1 becomes uninhabitable, so planet #2 name takes over, then Planet #1 becomes habitable again, so planet #1 name takes precedence again.

So it could not be as much of a "rename", as much as a "different name".

So if no detail exists as to why 1 system has 2 names, there are 2 major planets (or moons) in system.  Though this list shouldn't have any assumptions but would be a way for the writers to give a reason why the name keeps changing (well its really typos, but for us nuts just say that other name is a highly populated moon and shut us up).
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #45 on: 25 March 2012, 11:13:45 »
Any idea if Thomas was renamed or it just simply vanished? I know it was suppose to be in system with another planet.  Alway was annoyed little it been off the maps to begin with.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 25 March 2012, 12:41:00 »
Also remember some of these may not be renames, so much as talking about a different planet (or moon) in system.
Don't get me started.
FASA, for some reason, decided to put planet names on their starmaps despite the fact that jump maps need to show systems instead. Hence, we've got Verthandi there instead of Norn, Klathandu instead of Klathan, Suk II instead of Suk. It gets ridiculous where multiple planets in the same system (like the Mica Majority planets for example) show up in different locations on the jump map - all because someone at FASA couldn't be bothered to differentiate. It gets more ridiculous to see entire star clusters of dozens of systems lumped together on the very same maps.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: 25 March 2012, 16:38:58 »
I had that very same question in the boards before, about why some entries are system names and some are planet names. Heck Sol III (aka "Terra") is the biggest culprit right there. Wish they could be standardized in the maps past 3139.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: 26 March 2012, 01:18:05 »
Simple, the maps we show are not jump maps, they are political maps.

With regards,
Øystein

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 27 March 2012, 09:04:28 »
I got one.

I was dredging through Liberation of Terra in conjunction with 3085 and comparing maps. There is a system called Summerstide in the 2765 Map. There is a system in the same place in the 3085 Map... named Cogdell. And then when I check Handbook: House Davion... there is NO system there in 2822 Map or 2864 Map.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #50 on: 27 March 2012, 10:03:26 »
Well, the fourth planet was briefly know as "A New Hope", but they got sued....

Yeah, and if the galaxy had a shining center somewhere, it would have been the place furthest from that...
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

VoltAmpere

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 27 March 2012, 10:26:34 »
I got one.

I was dredging through Liberation of Terra in conjunction with 3085 and comparing maps. There is a system called Summerstide in the 2765 Map. There is a system in the same place in the 3085 Map... named Cogdell. And then when I check Handbook: House Davion... there is NO system there in 2822 Map or 2864 Map.

Hi Vhen, sorry but if you look at the two maps, you'll notice that Cogdell is actually to the left of Brockton while Summerstide is to the right. You can zoom the PDF map of 2765 to 800% and the 3085 map to 755%, put Jesup on the upper left corner and you'll see that the systems are actually far apart, with the distance being approximately 11.5LY.

Summerstide appears only in the 2765 map, while Codgell appears from the HB:HD 3025 map all the way to the 3130 MW:DA poster map that can be downloaded from Oystein's site.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 27 March 2012, 11:24:05 »
Yeah. I noticed that a few hours ago. Still rather weird for a planet to be added to the FedSuns during the Succession Wars mind you.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #53 on: 27 March 2012, 12:29:22 »
Actually, Cogdell was a periphery independent until the FedSuns invaded and took over shortly before the 3rd Succession War.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 27 March 2012, 21:17:55 »
Inside FedSuns existing territory. Yeah... I doubt that to be honest. Not because I doubt the book or anything... because I doubt they hadn't found it and colonised it/invaded it prior.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #55 on: 28 March 2012, 01:49:48 »
Why would they? Generally, major states don't bother conquering periphery independents.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 28 March 2012, 03:25:45 »
Failing to get point here... this world is like 150 odd LYs inside the FedSuns border...

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 28 March 2012, 10:19:52 »
So?

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #58 on: 28 March 2012, 10:24:38 »
Inside FedSuns existing territory. Yeah... I doubt that to be honest. Not because I doubt the book or anything... because I doubt they hadn't found it and colonised it/invaded it prior.
Sorry man, he's right.  Cogdell was a convict dumping ground that the Suns absorbed prior to the 3rd Succession War.  I suppose this would be the premier example that just because a system is inside the borders of a larger governing body doesn't mean it belongs to said body. 

CDT Special Agent #343

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 28 March 2012, 10:46:10 »
Still doesn't make sense. If its as habitable as that implies (No one is going to bother Terraforming a place just to stick convicts on it)... It should have been colonised during the glory years of the Star League.