Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish  (Read 223011 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish
« Reply #600 on: 21 August 2017, 19:24:03 »
It's too bad about the CM book series. Had all the units for one faction all ready to go with Alpha Strike Stats.
Really wanted to see a Clan Book.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #601 on: 21 August 2017, 22:22:34 »
I think if they released the already-written CM:Davion, they'd see the higher sales they want. Some folks may hate the Davions, but it always seems that Davion stuff sells better than other factions'.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #602 on: 21 August 2017, 23:03:29 »
They mentioned a YA-type BT trilogy by Jennifer Brozek.

Any more info on that?
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 23:05:49 by YingJanshi »

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #603 on: 21 August 2017, 23:05:38 »
I think if they released the already-written CM:Davion, they'd see the higher sales they want. Some folks may hate the Davions, but it always seems that Davion stuff sells better than other factions'.
Seems unlikely. Mercs, Kurita and Davion are the three top-favored factions among players apparently. If neither of the two others sold well, why would a Davion book?
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 23:08:58 by Empyrus »

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #604 on: 21 August 2017, 23:08:26 »
Seems unlikely. Mercs, Kurita and Davion are the three top-favored factions among players apparently. If neither of the two others sold well, why would a Davion book?

Because Davion stuff always sells the most.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #605 on: 21 August 2017, 23:09:12 »
Because Davion stuff always sells the most.
"Faction books don't sell" doesn't hold true anymore (or at least in this case), per TPTB. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58343.msg1345469#msg1345469
The issue with the series seems to be that the physical Combat Manual books don't sell. At least that was indicated somewhere earlier/elsewhere.
(I know i don't need them, i got the Mercs and Kurita PDFs, mostly because they appeared way before physical books... and once i've gotten PDFs, well, no need to double-dip.)
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 23:11:52 by Empyrus »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #606 on: 21 August 2017, 23:12:59 »
Yeah, and that paradigm shift is coming . . . it DOES seem to be something they are ahead of the curve on with all the PDF only releases.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #607 on: 21 August 2017, 23:18:22 »
"Faction books don't sell" doesn't hold true anymore (or at least in this case), per TPTB. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58343.msg1345469#msg1345469
The issue with the series seems to be that the physical Combat Manual books don't sell. At least that was indicated somewhere earlier/elsewhere.
(I know i don't need them, i got the Mercs and Kurita PDFs, mostly because they appeared way before physical books... and once i've gotten PDFs, well, no need to double-dip.)

And releasing the one that would sell the most of the entire series would refute that for all to see, regardless of whether the denial or the initial reason is a valid explanation for the book's delay. Release it as PDF-only (since I never advocated any format), and I still expect it to have higher sales numbers.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #608 on: 21 August 2017, 23:40:04 »
I would assume TPTB saying X is more probable than belief saying Y since the devs should have access to sales data.
While it may look like Davion sells the most for us commoners, it doesn't mean it is so. Maybe it was once true, and not anymore.

Either way, i figure poor sales of a series indicate it is not a good idea to continue. Sure, yet another book made the same way could turn into profit... but it is not probable, merely possible, and "merely possible" isn't probably good enough, whether one wishes it so or not.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #609 on: 21 August 2017, 23:42:32 »
And releasing the one that would sell the most of the entire series would refute that for all to see, regardless of whether the denial or the initial reason is a valid explanation for the book's delay. Release it as PDF-only (since I never advocated any format), and I still expect it to have higher sales numbers.

Per Ray as quoted above, it wasn't that the CM books didn't sell at all, it was that the DTF copies barely moved. The PDFs did sell well.

In that case I don't see the release of Davion changing that. It seems that more people are simply more interested in buying PDF these days than DTF and for whatever reason faction-specific books fall into that paradigm harder than other books. They could release it as PDF only...but as the CM books were meant to be core support books for Alpha Strike, I'm not sure if they were still live up to what they were meant to. But that's just all my speculation.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #610 on: 21 August 2017, 23:54:41 »
Davion would sell more, we know that for sure based on past sales data.

Saying that the CM print books didn't move isn't accurate either. The answer is complicated but if reduced to a single concise statement the most accurate would simply be that the CMs are too expensive to produce. Again, that's not quite right, but much more accurate than "faction books don't sell" or "the CMs didn't sell."
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #611 on: 21 August 2017, 23:55:03 »
I would assume TPTB saying X is more probable than belief saying Y since the devs should have access to sales data.
While it may look like Davion sells the most for us commoners, it doesn't mean it is so. Maybe it was once true, and not anymore.

Either way, i figure poor sales of a series indicate it is not a good idea to continue. Sure, yet another book made the same way could turn into profit... but it is not probable, merely possible, and "merely possible" isn't probably good enough, whether one wishes it so or not.

Bones routinely said (at past GenCons) that Davion stuff outsold everything else by a wide margin. It's invalid to say such things no longer apply, since there hasn't been much in the way of such single-faction (print) products in recent years, until the Combat Manuals. It's also tenuous at best to say a Davion print product wouldn't sell well, when there hasn't been one since the handbook, which Bones reported to have sold like gangbusters. HBHK took forever to come out, and it was part of a series that (Davion aside) sold poorly, apparently. So there *was* a precedent to complete a series that didn't have huge sales numbers. But, if poor sales are to be the justification for not continuing (and it doesn't look good), it still seems like a poor business decision to stop before the faction that historically has brought the most money for a given type of product.

Saying that the CM print books didn't move isn't accurate either. The answer is complicated but if reduced to a single concise statement the most accurate would simply be that the CMs are too expensive to produce. Again, that's not quite right, but much more accurate than "faction books don't sell" or "the CMs didn't sell."

As I was posting, it seems AG provided some relevant information. :)

If I were a conspiracy type, I'd say it's the same anti-Davion bias that the prior administration harbored at work. ;) :D

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #612 on: 22 August 2017, 00:02:05 »
Being I'm a Davion through and through, I'd say you'd need to come up with a better conspiracy theory. ;)
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #613 on: 22 August 2017, 00:05:11 »
Being I'm a Davion through and through, I'd say you'd need to come up with a better conspiracy theory. ;)

Well... Is Brent? :)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #614 on: 22 August 2017, 00:14:14 »
He's more a clan fan, but he's certainly anything but anti-Davion.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #615 on: 22 August 2017, 00:16:18 »
It's invalid to say such things no longer apply, since there hasn't been much in the way of such single-faction (print) products in recent years, until the Combat Manuals.
Point. This did occur to me afterwards.
But, if poor sales are to be the justification for not continuing (and it doesn't look good), it still seems like a poor business decision to stop before the faction that historically has brought the most money for a given type of product.
Budgetary reason perhaps.  I would guess "Too expensive to produce" can be taken to mean "not high enough profit margin" (which may or may not be applicable still) or it could mean "this takes too much away from other potential products". Maybe it is better to have multiple books under work, and selling at once, even if they aren't individually as profitable. Safety in numbers, or however one wants to put that.
As I was posting, it seems AG provided some relevant information. :)
Good he cleared that up. Interpreting various vague-ish statements from various times and places (and people) leads to different picture.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #616 on: 22 August 2017, 00:20:45 »
He's more a clan fan, but he's certainly anything but anti-Davion.

Hmmm. Then I got nothin'.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #617 on: 22 August 2017, 00:21:27 »
So CM Clans will come out before the rest of the Houses?? lol Damned freebirth for ya

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #618 on: 22 August 2017, 06:18:47 »
The shift to PDF over DTF was made quite a while ago by me. Saves me a small fortune in international shipping if nothing else.

so big question.

What do we actually have in the pipeline right now?

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #619 on: 22 August 2017, 09:56:20 »
Good he cleared that up. Interpreting various vague-ish statements from various times and places (and people) leads to different picture.

What a strange way to type "You were right, Doom." :)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #620 on: 22 August 2017, 10:05:10 »
What a strange way to type "You were right, Doom." :)

Congrats, your prize is no CM: davion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #621 on: 22 August 2017, 10:11:55 »
Hmmm. Then I got nothin'.

I should note that the previous administration's dislike of House Davion did not substantially affect the story. Herb and Ben were working off the plan first developed by FASA and later expanded by Jordan Weisman himself in MWDA. Herb himself has said that the Davions would've continued to be a part of the post-Dark Age universe.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #622 on: 22 August 2017, 11:44:46 »

In my defense, I tried to make sure I said things like 'didn't sell well ENOUGH' or 'not as well as hoped'. I tried to make sure I didn't imply that Brent said the CMs didn't sell well period, because he didn't say that. If you look at it that way, it's just the other side of the coin. If they sold more, production cost could be justified; if they cost less to produce, the sales numbers would be fine. Regardless, I'll stop repeating Brents comments since Ray has provided a better answer.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #623 on: 22 August 2017, 15:17:25 »
AS long as w don't have characters with sparkly skin I think w'll be okay.

Oh great, another fan of the Frails....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #624 on: 22 August 2017, 23:04:01 »
Congrats, your prize is no CM: davion

Nope! :D

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #625 on: 22 August 2017, 23:06:35 »
Where's my House Handbook: Free Taiwan at?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #626 on: 23 August 2017, 14:02:22 »
Are there many more Touring the Stars pdfs in the works? While I know my hope for Touring the Stars: Leviathan's Rest is a forlorn one, I've really enjoyed the ones that've come out so far.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #627 on: 23 August 2017, 14:06:10 »
Yup.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #628 on: 23 August 2017, 15:37:19 »
Any word on when the new anthology is going to be available for general sale?

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #629 on: 24 August 2017, 06:56:53 »
The Spotlight On and Touring the Stars series are still being produced, right? Not affected by the Combat Manuals or ilClan reworking, right?

And TRO: IrregularTech is still coming? (please say yes, please say yes)
« Last Edit: 24 August 2017, 12:22:38 by mbear »
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)