Author Topic: MWO Rifleman Pack!  (Read 23189 times)

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
MWO Rifleman Pack!
« on: 05 November 2015, 20:03:32 »
Well, almost out...

Russ showing off the loyalty paint version on Twitter:

And tease of the Hero:

« Last Edit: 05 November 2015, 20:06:01 by Cyc »

Decoy

• Captain
Re: MWO Rifleman Pack!
« Reply #1 on: 05 November 2015, 20:54:49 »
....is that Wombat's Rifleman on the Hero screen?
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #2 on: 05 November 2015, 22:38:04 »
i can hear those barrels getting cut back from here. i'd be a little excited, but with the heavy queue being what it is, i hardly play them.

i do hope those radar bars pick up some girth before they hit the game though.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 05 November 2015, 23:51:17 »
I think they're trying to indicate that the radome isn't that critical a target. I've been in a couple battles in a Jagermech where people on the other side have all but knocked my radome off and got miffed because they thought they were shooting my jagermech's cockpit.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2015, 00:40:49 »
....is that Wombat's Rifleman on the Hero screen?

And I even remember where the pink Rifleman legend started. Oddly enough, the CO of the Battle Corps is piloting a pink Rifleman in the Jihad era ...

But I think it's a Marik Militia - lighter purple than I use, with red & blue trim.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 06 November 2015, 02:53:16 »
If it's a hero 'mech, than it's an Ace Custom paint scheme. It doesn't look like Legend Killer and it's not "Gentleman Johnny" Clavell's scheme then....Janos Marik's Rifleman? I'm not discounting they're inventing someone though.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #6 on: 06 November 2015, 07:11:51 »
Legend Killer with its rumoured special nature would be a good choice, imo.

I can't say I am overly thrilled, since my feelings towards that mech are largely neutral. No nostalgia. It will probably work ok in game for reasons already discussed and if it does it diversifies the line-up of heavies actually used in game. Perhaps I'll get one with C-Bills, but not with real money ...

... that is, if it is a single mech-pack. Perhaps it will be bundled with other new mechs, but I doubt that.

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 06 November 2015, 09:24:46 »
For me the Rifleman is the mech that got me into the game. The original RPG Cover with the Rifleman on the cover was the first book I bought, and the Rifleman was the first miniature I purchased. I still have it.

But on the MWO side, I hope they hold off releasing this mech. between the Marauder/Warhammer MWO release, and the Kick starter, I'd prefer If they didn't dump this on us till January.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 06 November 2015, 09:58:34 »
I like the new Rifleman, perhaps with the exception of its cockpit.

Those arms are just next to the cokpit which is good. When raised, those arms could perhaps shield both side torsos.

However, I am afraid that those gun barrels on the actual game model will be much shorter or even outright missing. Only short stubs, instead of proper barrels.

As for the Hero 'Mech, I would say that it will be Legend Killer.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2015, 13:40:24 »

Rifleman

Standard Pack
$20

3 Rifleman Standard Variants

- RFL-3N
    - RFL-3C
    - RFL-5D

Collector Pack
$40

3 Rifleman Standard Variants

- RFL-3N
    - RFL-3C
    - RFL-5D

1 Special Variant with custom Pattern, and a +30% C-Bill boost

- RFL-3N (S)

Hero Add-On
$15

Hero Rifleman 'Mech to your pack
RFL-LK (Legend-Killer) + 1 MechBay

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 06 November 2015, 14:22:20 »
Well that was futile on my part...

Do you feel that it is a typo that the $40 pack gets 1 warhorn? It was 3x Warhorns with the Mad and Hammer pack.

I like the Legend Killer. Quad AC5 is always a good time. But so short on Ammo.

I wonder what a Rifleman 5D with 8 Medium Pulse Lasers would do. I think that might be a viable set.

I do think a Legend Killer with 2x AC2, and 4 Medium Pulse and some armor could be fun. Like a big Blackjack.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 06 November 2015, 14:36:31 »
Do you feel that it is a typo that the $40 pack gets 1 warhorn? It was 3x Warhorns with the Mad and Hammer pack.
It's possible.

I like the Legend Killer. Quad AC5 is always a good time. But so short on Ammo.
You can build JagerMech with quad AC-5s, the result is going to be less than ideal. The Cataphract used to be the first working platform with quad AC-5s.

I wonder what a Rifleman 5D with 8 Medium Pulse Lasers would do. I think that might be a viable set.
It will depend on what quirks it is going to be given.

I do think a Legend Killer with 2x AC2, and 4 Medium Pulse and some armor could be fun. Like a big Blackjack.
Well, Blackjacks can be equipped with jump jets.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #12 on: 06 November 2015, 15:54:12 »
Damn that torso just looks strange.
I'm glad they brought back the old ride, but wow so strange.  :o
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 06 November 2015, 16:23:02 »

So they corrected it. It's 3 Warhorns now.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #14 on: 06 November 2015, 21:19:00 »
Not a fan, mostly due to the jutting-forward cockpit.

Like Martian, I fear this one will not live up to the concept art because of the ridiculousness of MWO's "standard-sized' weapons.  AC-5 barrels are no where near that girth/length anymore.  The stubby/mewly armed Jagermech looks pathetic to the point I sold mine.

Hate what happened to my Ilya. >:(

Curious to see what the in-game model will look like.

Still, glad to see it in game, though would've preferred and spent money on a Crusader, Ostroc, Ostsol, or Phoenix Hawk.

For those who will or have purchased, congrats.
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 06 November 2015, 23:07:56 »
Still, glad to see it in game, though would've preferred and spent money on a Crusader, Ostroc, Ostsol, or Phoenix Hawk.

I feel like the Crusader or Phoenix Hawk are more likely than an OST. And that said, the Crusader is probably more likely, considering they did Warhammer (70), Marauder (75), and Rifleman (60) the Crusader (65) seems like the next logical option.

Nothing against the Crusader but I'd rather see the Phoenix Hawk.

I suppose the Archer is another option even if it's another 70 tonner.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 23:10:54 by Jayof9s »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2015, 07:34:52 »
I like how this looks.  It's take body of the old Archer's body, making i leaner, with reseen's Archer's cockpit (big bay window kind) and shrinks it, while retaining older Rifleman's legs.  I hope it's included in HBS's game.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 07 November 2015, 10:50:41 »
Legend Killer's loadout and hardpoints changed:

PGI changed the loadout from quad AC-5s and ballistic arms to LL/LBX-10 loadout and combined energy/ballistic arms.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #18 on: 07 November 2015, 12:25:09 »
It looks like it more closely resembles the Rifleman II.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 07 November 2015, 12:27:02 »
Yes, on 60 ton chassis.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 07 November 2015, 13:25:18 »
The armor must tissue paper thin then even with all the weight savings goodies.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 07 November 2015, 13:26:50 »
The armor must tissue paper thin then even with all the weight savings goodies.
It would be 128 points in BattleTech.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 09 November 2015, 13:45:23 »
RIFLEMAN ORTOGRAPHIC VIEW

I like how all hardpoints are arranged in one line, on the same level as the cockpit.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #23 on: 09 November 2015, 18:29:14 »
Is there an ortho for the Warhammer?
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #24 on: 09 November 2015, 20:03:42 »
I like how all hardpoints are arranged in one line, on the same level as the cockpit.

i can't wait to see how that screw that up.

looks like the cockpit juts less than the concept art had. good.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 10 November 2015, 00:08:05 »
Is there an ortho for the Warhammer?
No.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #26 on: 10 November 2015, 10:14:17 »
looks like the cockpit juts less than the concept art had. good.

As long as the arms are intact, the cockpit and CT are ok-ishly shielded, it seems. However I am pretty sure it will be easy to hit CT, which on the other hand may validate XLs. ...and the Rifleman may need XL, especially if you want to go at reasonable speeds (which I consider for that weight class to be at least 80 kph).
I am definitely not in the long line of people who call it doa. It is actually one of those Mechs I cannot judge before I have seen it in action. Yep, the hardpoints are high on pit level and it carries the current meta-mech-mix of energy and long range ballistic weapons - all of which is good. At the same time though, the cockpit is not top mounted, exposing quite a bit of the mech when peeking over cover. It is fairly slow for its class (Madcats will outrun, outgun, and outarmour you) and its protruding CT is an easy target.
Again: I have to wait and see.

Legend Killer is definitely an incentive and the very best choice for a hero mech.

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 10 November 2015, 11:24:22 »
As long as the arms are intact, the cockpit and CT are ok-ishly shielded, it seems. However I am pretty sure it will be easy to hit CT, which on the other hand may validate XLs. ...and the Rifleman may need XL, especially if you want to go at reasonable speeds (which I consider for that weight class to be at least 80 kph).
I am definitely not in the long line of people who call it doa. It is actually one of those Mechs I cannot judge before I have seen it in action. Yep, the hardpoints are high on pit level and it carries the current meta-mech-mix of energy and long range ballistic weapons - all of which is good. At the same time though, the cockpit is not top mounted, exposing quite a bit of the mech when peeking over cover. It is fairly slow for its class (Madcats will outrun, outgun, and outarmour you) and its protruding CT is an easy target.
Again: I have to wait and see.

Legend Killer is definitely an incentive and the very best choice for a hero mech.

I think you might be a little disappointed with the LK. Max engine is still under 80kph. Also I don't think any mech really competes with the Mad Cat on beating it with Armor, Guns, and Speed.

I'm pretty sure that my LK will have 2x PPC, some smaller laser weaponry, and 4 MG's. I think that PP is going to nerf the Lasers down to backup weapons.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 10 November 2015, 11:46:42 »
I think you might be a little disappointed with the LK. Max engine is still under 80kph. Also I don't think any mech really competes with the Mad Cat on beating it with Armor, Guns, and Speed.

Yeah, it's almost impossible to beat that mix because of the way the 75 ton chassis works out as very optimal. And of course the Timber Wolf has clan XL, ES, and FF.

You can do smaller designs that go faster or bigger designs with more armor/weapons, but it really is at a sweet spot for being relatively fast, well armed, and well armored.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 10 November 2015, 11:53:01 »
As long as PGI refuses to use some balancing mechanism such as 10:12 or some kind of BV, the Rifleman will be always in disadvantage when compared with the Madcat.