Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: Horned Owl  (Read 9900 times)

Kotetsu

• Captain
’Mech of the Week: Horned Owl
« on: 13 September 2012, 14:17:39 »
’Mech of the Week: Horned Owl

Horned Owl. Bird-of-prey. And one of the oddest looking of the second-line BattleMechs of the Clans. Weighing in at 35 tons, this top-end light is better known in the Inner Sphere as the Peregrine. Probably from being seen in Falcon garrison forces. It is also quite deadly.

Seriously, I once used one to duel and win against a BattleMaster.

The Horned Owl entered service sometime between 2827 (when the Clan medium pulse laser entered production) and 2858 (the date of the RAT in Era Digest: Golden Century). The original version of the 3055 tech readout indicates that analysts considered it one of the first generation of designs after the Star League Exodus. As for who first built the design, the name might indicate the Falcons or Ravens, the Jaguars are noted for creating the second variant, and the Scorpions had the ability to redesign the chassis for the fourth variant.

Personally, I give the nod to the Goliath Scorpions from two factors: I have a feeling that the Horned Owl might be a Falcon IIC (the Scorpions having the majority of the Falcons in Clan hands), and they were responsible for the creation of the underwater exoskeletons that ended up becoming the Elemental (and later the Undine). That last point is key considering the technological “cul-de-sac” of the curved carapace of the original model (something speculated to be worth the expense if designed for underwater operations).

Based around an endo-steel skeleton, the Horned Owl mounts a 210-rated fusion engine giving it the same speed as the Falcon. Additionally, jump jets retain the maneuverability of the older design. Five tons of ferro-fibrous armor give 80% of maximum protection. The lay out of the armor allows for any front location to withstand a Star League large pulse laser hit, with the side torsos and legs a Clantech large, and the center a little over two Star League medium pulses. Rear locations can take two machine gun hits, with the center rear able to withstand three. Weapons load consists of a centerline large pulse laser, and a medium pulse mounted in each arm. Ten double heat sinks allow for a running alpha without overheating. This model likely was part of front-line combat forces (not least because the first light OmniMech on the aforementioned RAT, the Fire Moth doesn’t show up until 2874).

Now based on the vagaries of how variants were named from the Clan Invasion, it is not clear if the Horned Owl 2 was created after the original variant or before. All that is known is by the time of the Invasion it was less prevalent. This variant removes the lasers and replaces them with a three 5-rack LRM launchers on each side torso (possibly taken from Howler salvage). Four tons of ammo feed the launchers.

The Horned Owl 3 was a product of the Clan Invasion era, and perhaps a test of the light machine guns. This variant carries three of them in each arm. One half ton of ammunition feeds them. Rounding out the weapons-load is a centerline PPC. A targeting computer helps with accuracy.

Then came the Inner Sphere extermination of the Smoke Jaguars. In the aftermath, the Goliath Scorpions captured the Abysmal Manufacturing Complex, an isolated facility created by the Jaguars when they first settled Huntress, and had been mothballed since it only manufactured light BattleMechs (the Horned Owl 2 mayhaps?). Intended only to work out the bugs when they refurbished the factory, the Horned Owl 4 proved so successful it became a full-time production model.

First the look was reworked to do away with the old intensive to produce curved carapace. In place of the pulse lasers, this variant mounts a centerline medium laser and two ATM-3 launchers on each arm. Three tons of ammo feed all the launchers, allowing for all types of ATM ammo to be mounted. The last variant (to this point) adds a heat sink, and mounts a heavy medium in the center, and a large laser on each arm.

Using one of these machines depends on your fighting style. All have the ability to be used at range in a jumping sniper role. In such cases, pick your targets carefully. Others prefer to close in and scrap. While you can do that, remember you are still a light design, and thus fragile. If operating under honor rules, choose targets you think you can take (or keep up with). In the early Clan Invasion period feel free to pick larger targets and abuse your technological advantage.

Fighting one of these starts with making him fall over. Knocking him off his feet will make it impossible for him to jump. Second, hit him with anything that can reach and have good to-hit numbers. Under honor rules, try and use something faster or something that can hit harder. The former include things like Locust IICs and Fire Moths. The latter would be Adders and Cougars. If you happen to be the unlucky guy defending against the Clan Invasion, gang up on him. Though if he challenges one of your assaults with him, make him pay. Or hope you aren’t stuck by the scenario with a Green warrior.

Think that was the problem that BattleMaster had. The Tukayyid scenario pack had a few issues like that.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
Re: ’Mech of the Week: Horned Owl
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2012, 14:24:04 »
Good solid light and fun to use in a harassing roll.  really like the art of the original and wish it hadn't gotten canned :(

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2012, 14:55:14 »
are you going to cover the Horned Owl 5?

i find it interesting that the rounded armor is listed as hard t produce, when there are designs just as rounded out there that have no problem.. and the replacement aesthetics are still pretty darn streamlined.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2012, 16:17:06 »
are you going to cover the Horned Owl 5?

He addressees it in the last sentence in the paragraph on the 4.

Nice write up for one nasty little Clan 'Mech Kotetsu. FYI, the MUL has the intro dates of the Standard and 2 as 2835 and 2856 respectively.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2012, 16:34:55 »
A superb little 'Mech, the later models all suffered in comparison to the original.

Personally, I give the nod to the Goliath Scorpions from two factors: I have a feeling that the Horned Owl might be a Falcon IIC (the Scorpions having the majority of the Falcons in Clan hands), and they were responsible for the creation of the underwater exoskeletons that ended up becoming the Elemental (and later the Undine). That last point is key considering the technological “cul-de-sac” of the curved carapace of the original model (something speculated to be worth the expense if designed for underwater operations).

Based around an endo-steel skeleton, the Horned Owl mounts a 210-rated fusion engine giving it the same speed as the Falcon. Additionally, jump jets retain the maneuverability of the older design. Five tons of ferro-fibrous armor give 80% of maximum protection. The lay out of the armor allows for any front location to withstand a Star League large pulse laser hit, with the side torsos and legs a Clantech large, and the center a little over two Star League medium pulses. Rear locations can take two machine gun hits, with the center rear able to withstand three. Weapons load consists of a centerline large pulse laser, and a medium pulse mounted in each arm. Ten double heat sinks allow for a running alpha without overheating. This model likely was part of front-line combat forces (not least because the first light OmniMech on the aforementioned RAT, the Fire Moth doesn’t show up until 2874).

There is a school of thought that the Horned Owl is the ultimate Clan interpretation of the Shadowhawk/Griffin. Both of these 'Mechs lost weight and gained speed at the hands of the Clans, sharing a similar role to the Horned Owl. Additionally the Horned Owl continues the avian theming of the those 'Mechs.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2012, 20:12:42 »
Interesting article. Just FYI, according to the MUL the Horned Owl debuted in 2835.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2012, 23:29:57 »
I am really not a fan of this guy.  It just moves too slowly for my tastes, and if I want a jumpy harasser I go for the Viper B.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #7 on: 14 September 2012, 03:05:59 »
I am really not a fan of this guy.  It just moves too slowly for my tastes, and if I want a jumpy harasser I go for the Viper B.

The original has some merits, but I feel the same about the variants. There are a load of 6/9/6 mediums that competes with them, like the Conjurer, Vapor Eagle, Shadow Hawk IIC and Griffin IIC, and 6/9/6 is really on the lower limit on what is acceptable movement speed on a light.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 September 2012, 04:21:32 »
The original has some merits, but I feel the same about the variants. There are a load of 6/9/6 mediums that competes with them, like the Conjurer, Vapor Eagle, Shadow Hawk IIC and Griffin IIC, and 6/9/6 is really on the lower limit on what is acceptable movement speed on a light.

For you maybe, but I demand at least 8/12 (with the sole exception of the Urbie), and even then the Viper usually does a better job.  I really prefer 9/14 or faster out of my lights because I feel like anything slower should be using a medium frame, and the Horned Owl falls far short of that mark.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #9 on: 14 September 2012, 07:16:48 »
For you maybe, but I demand at least 8/12 (with the sole exception of the Urbie), and even then the Viper usually does a better job.  I really prefer 9/14 or faster out of my lights because I feel like anything slower should be using a medium frame, and the Horned Owl falls far short of that mark.

I grew up on a diet of Stingers and wasps.

And I love the Horned owl.
The original looks great and carries a fun payload for fighting in its own weight class. It also makes for an amazing skirmisher and harasser.

Not pushed on the LRM Variant. It lacks punch.
But the ATM one has a lot of potential. But hasn't impressed me as of yet.
And the mini is sweet in its own way.

The 5 is alright but we already have a Hellhound that does the same job.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2012, 07:48:52 »
The 2 version is actually not that bad when you need light fire support asset.  At 1200 bv your getting basically 2 ARM 15s, the Adder A and C are both a couple hundred more.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Nightsky

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2012, 18:10:49 »
Agains the IS in the Invasion era, this thing is just right. It's fast enough to keep a safe distance from anything big and dangerous while it snipes with the large pulse, and it has such heavy firepower that the fast IS mechs of this era that can catch it will get shredded. As time goes on it loses its edge but never stops being a solid Light choice IMHO.

The 2 variant is a decent small missile boat. If you're the type of Clan player with a very Liberal approach to warfare, then because you have four tons of ammo you can afford to take a ton of special ammo (like Thunder LRMs) without much affecting the Horned Owl's standard combat ability.

The 3 is a nasty mech along the lines of a Pack Hunter, a good long range fire support mech or harasser.

I have no experience with 4 and 5, but the 4 looks like it would be a mean Light brawler using HE ammo, and the 5 a fair sniper.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2012, 20:26:19 »
The look of the original has always intrigued me, being one of the most anime-ish things ever to appear in a TRO.  It seems to be VERY heavily inspired by the Zaku/Gouf suits from Gundam.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

faraday77

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2012, 02:15:35 »
A superb little 'Mech, the later models all suffered in comparison to the original.

There is a school of thought that the Horned Owl is the ultimate Clan interpretation of the Shadowhawk/Griffin. Both of these 'Mechs lost weight and gained speed at the hands of the Clans, sharing a similar role to the Horned Owl. Additionally the Horned Owl continues the avian theming of the those 'Mechs.

Our group always saw the Horned Owl/Peregrine as the 'true' Phoenix Hawk IIC, and not the 80 tons abomination.
Gone.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2012, 08:44:54 »
Our group always saw the Horned Owl/Peregrine as the 'true' Phoenix Hawk IIC, and not the 80 tons abomination.

SECONDED!!!

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2012, 20:30:07 »

Maybe the Horned Owl is a confluence of the Shadowhawk/Griffin and Falcon designs. Ultimately the Clans smaller force size forces them to become an exercise in efficiency, so it makes sense to me that they would look to design a unit that could combine multiple roles effectively. 
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

daeceg

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2012, 22:31:19 »
And boy, is this sucker deadly.  It punches way above its weight class in the Inner Sphere.  Fast enough to get to the golden ranges on the LPL...enough armor to survive a couple of lucky shots....I routinely use this to harass anything smaller than 70 tons.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #17 on: 26 September 2012, 23:56:53 »
Good Mech.   It just makes IS 6/9/6 bugs look horrible.    I like the PH-2C comparison.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #18 on: 27 September 2012, 02:29:27 »
I grew up on a diet of Stingers and wasps.

Given its weaponry, I'm guessing that the Horned Owl did, too. }:)
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman