Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Behemoth Heavy Tank  (Read 15259 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week: Behemoth Heavy Tank
« on: 18 April 2011, 07:26:50 »
Vehicle of the Week: Behemoth Heavy Tank

It's an old, hoary proverb that you get to pick two of speed, armor, and firepower if you're lucky.  The Behemoth, as might be expected from the name, went for armor and firepower.  That name goes back to the Book of Job, referencing a beast so mighty that only God can create it or contain it.  A good name, nay, a mighty name, but one difficult to live up to.  TRO3039 spends some time establishing that the vehicle's design was out of character for the AFFS, though given their later decisions to procure things like the Morningstar, Challenger, and Ajax, it evidently led to a greater appreciation for slow, heavy armor after the design's 2952 introduction... and a certain discretion regarding the difference between slow and immobile.  Built by Aldis Industries, famous for the Demolisher Heavy Tank and the Schrek PPC Carrier, and the Federated Suns' own General Motors, the Behemoth was intended to overwhelm 'Mechs with heavy firepower while supporting enough light weapons to keep other threats off of it.  Aldis has since sold the design widely but the largest numbers are found in the AFFS and DCMS.  One of the most infamous engagements was an aptly-described "crawling" firefight between a battalion's worth of Crucis Lancers Behemoths and a battalion of Capellan Home Guard Demolishers.  While the description is troubling in some ways (what tank crew isn't firing SRMs in close combat?), it demonstrates the thick, slab-like armor and the power of a Behemoth in close combat.

The baseline model of the Behemoth set the standards.  Tipping the scale at 100 tons, the tank is the heaviest it can be under standard or introductory rules, and Aldis kept costs down with a GM-built 200-rated ICE.  This means that the top speed of the tank is a mere 32 kph, tying with the UrbanMech, but as a tank, the Behemoth both lacks the UrbanMech's jump jets and requires more MPs to climb over terrain.  Worse, they have basically no buffer against MP loss, a very common result of the vehicle critical charts, and are always worse off for targeting modifiers when they move.  While the original proposal called for 21 tons of armor, only 13 tons of ArcShield standard plate was applied to save tonnage.  Despite that, the 208 points were arranged well in a 46/38/40/46 pattern, providing a great deal of protection that very nearly meets a universal twin AC/20 test and will probably last at least as long as the tank's ammo does unless it's under a simply staggering volume of fire.  In contrast to Aldis's existing Behemoth and Schrek designs, the Behemoth isn't built around a single set of the same weapon.  The primary weapons are a pair of SarLon MaxiCannon class 10 autocannons fed by two tons of ammunition that share their turret mount with two Harvester 20K SRM 6 racks with their own two tons of ammo.  Another four Harvester 2K SRM 2s are arranged with two forward and one to each side, with four MainFire Minigun machine guns in a similar arrangement, each fed by a ton of ammo.  Finally, a quartet of LongFire Light LRM 5 launchers offer the ability to barrage opponents as they approach.  While TRO3039 also mentions they're supposed to discourage pursuit, the fact is that unless the terrain is flat as a pancake, a Behemoth's nose has to be pointed forward to even try maneuvering, plus they're very, very likely to get immobilized, so I'm not sure how much that particular intention has to do with reality.

Two Introductory variants exist that I'm aware of.  One was described in TRO3039, mounting two vehicle flamers forward and to each side in place of the SRM 2s fed by two tons of ammo.  While that's going to have a distinct (and rather negative) impact on the willingness of infantry to close, I'm not sure whether the machine guns aren't redundant at that point in favor of, say, more flamer ammo for endurance and the option to mix types more freely.  (Weirdo had some gleefully offbeat thoughts on the matter of alternative vehicle flamer ammo loads I'm hoping he'd be willing to reprise.)  The other, slipped into RS3039 Unabridged without fanfare, looks at the original concept with 21 tons of armor, replacing the SRM 2s and machine guns with a prodigious (and excessive) 74/61/66/74 layout.  While the original might have been a smidge on the thin side, this is ridiculous.  The ammo loads are no higher, so assuming someone doesn't manage to blow the fuel tank, kill the crew, or trigger an ammo explosion while trying to kill it (granted, with this much armor and Succession Wars damage output being what it is, that's reasonably likely...), the armor is likely going to last past the point the tank is of any value as something other than an oddly-shaped bunker.  That's a plus for crew survival but in terms of efficient use of the tonnage to accomplish the tank's tactical objectives, it's a minus.  Exactly what relative weight endurance of mission capability vs. endurance of technical survival takes is tricky to assign, but the AFFS or Aldis opted for secondary weapons for whatever that does for your arguments.

A Civil War-era Kuritan refit overhauls the vehicle's firepower without fixing the real problem here.  A new fusion engine is a nice, light 200-rated model, freeing up considerable tonnage and providing ten heat sinks the design doesn't actually use.  The large array of missile launchers has been heavily consolidated into two LRM 5s facing forward with two MRM 10s and two SRM 6s in the turret.  Artemis modules have been applied to all applicable launchers, with the LRMs sharing a single ton, the MRMs two tons, and the SRMs two tons of ammunition.  The wisdom of this ammo allocation is perhaps a bit questionable but not as bad as it could be with the other weapon change - two Ultra/10 autocannons fed by four tons of ammunition for an unchanged ammo endurance at Ultra fire rates.  While the endurance isn't great, the range increase nicely offsets the LRM loss.  The new firepower is dangerous and anyone who gets into close range with a Behemoth (Kurita) is going to regret that decision quite a bit.  My best guess is that they're using it for urban engagements or other situations with heavily constrained movement options, possibly alongside the even more plodding Kanazuchi.  The availability of Tonbos is something you'll want to guarantee if you have any intention whatsoever of using them strategically as something other than vaguely mobile turrets, though using them for mobility on a battlefield level is unfeasible.

As a tactical unit, the Behemoth is problematic.  It represents a concentration of firepower that an opponent almost has to respond to but the speed is so low that an opponent can easily opt to respond by simply going around it, especially on larger maps.  If forced into engaging a Behemoth, its contemporaries are in for an unpleasant situation, but this requires careful employment of terrain and valuable targets to force that choice on an opponent.  They're best employed as defensive units, preferably in situations where the enemy can't advance too quickly but the Behemoth has LOS, giving the Behemoth's weapons time to tear into them.  Unlike my perennial pet hate, the Burke, the Behemoth actually does have reasonably substantial armor and takes some effort to put down, but they're going to get immobilized very quickly, so either place them in their firing positions at the beginning or make all haste to getting there before the enemy is able to bring weapons to bear.  Once in position, fling fire at the enemy until either your ammo or someone's armor gives out.

Dealing with a Behemoth is conceptually simple - either avoid it or disable it and then avoid it - but anyone using a Behemoth is generally aware of the fact that they move like someone poured molasses over the map sheet and takes steps to deal with these weaknesses.  If possible, you need to spike their plans by disabling the Behemoth quickly before it reaches a good position to cause trouble.  Anything that generates a lot of clusters quickly will make things easier and as usual the LB 10-X is an excellent suggestion, as are SRMs on a fast platform like the Cavalry VTOL from last week.  Once it's either immobilized or in position, engaging it is best down by either plinking at range, preferably beyond range 10, or avoiding it to deal with other units and return to handle the Behemoth, preferably from the stern.  The armor difference isn't particularly noticeable and not having the additional SRMs firing is worth it.   If you can arrange to lock the turret, so much the better.

Visual References: The Behemoth, despite its age, has only had one standard bit of art, available at the MUL database; the CCG image is up at Sarna for the curious.  CamoSpecs has two miniatures, one in 1st Free Worlds Guards colors and one from the Qanatir MTM.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2011, 20:39:21 by Moonsword »

Swords of Fire

• Corporal
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Behemoth Heavy Tank
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2011, 07:36:25 »
I'm rather surprised that we never saw a long range centric Behemoth. Given the slow speed and general reckoning that its a mobile pill box, Light or Standard Gauss backed by massed LRMs would have made significant sense. Similarly a 'modern' version with Gauss backed by unified MML launchers would make a great defensive addition for static objectives.

Playing against a Behemoth, yeah the LB-10X is the way to go. You can outrange all but the LRMs which reduces its useful firepower to minimal levels. I'd discourage use of VTOLs against a Behemoth, while none of its weapons are a threat like a Gauss Rifle, with that many missiles it may become a question of how many VTOLs will I lose.
Sometimes I think that Australia was the inspiration for the Periphery, simply because they both look really good from a long way away, but up close, everything is trying to kill you.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2011, 08:25:05 »
I'm rather surprised that we never saw a long range centric Behemoth. Given the slow speed and general reckoning that its a mobile pill box, Light or Standard Gauss backed by massed LRMs would have made significant sense. Similarly a 'modern' version with Gauss backed by unified MML launchers would make a great defensive addition for static objectives.

I'm not really that surprised.  The Behemoth was never a priority for anyone to refit and what it did, it did cheaply.  The engine is cheap, the components are cheap, the armor is cheap.  What I'm getting at is that the Behemoth is not really a fire support unit (which is how a lot of those slow long-range combatants get used) but is most frequently seen as a defensive measure for engaging attackers in constrained terrain.  The two known refits (the flamer and Kuritan models) are both still in that same role, using the armor to hold someone off long enough to overwhelm them at medium- to short-range.  Keep in mind that LRMs are useful in urban situations for laying mines or indirect fire while someone tries to find your firing position.

Playing against a Behemoth, yeah the LB-10X is the way to go. You can outrange all but the LRMs which reduces its useful firepower to minimal levels. I'd discourage use of VTOLs against a Behemoth, while none of its weapons are a threat like a Gauss Rifle, with that many missiles it may become a question of how many VTOLs will I lose.

That's why I recommended a design fast enough to be difficult to target and that can take some hits.  The Cavalry (or, rather, Cavalries) wasn't suggested for killing it, just streaking in and peppering it with SRMs to immobilize it before finding something safer to do.  If they're already in their firing position, you absolutely don't throw VTOLs into it without something to distract the main guns while they slip around and concentrate fire to the rear to hopefully blow the ammo bin.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2011, 14:05:50 »
Its a fun tank just for being huge and bunker like, but its not really super practical.  The 20 LRMs are enough that you can't just send a Clint or Valkyrie in to plink it to death from range with out a bit of hesitation, but something slightly tougher like a Vindi could probably handle it, though it would know its been in a fight, it wouldn't look like that fight was with a mamoth 100 ton tank.  The Beheamoth has the same problem as the very similar Annihlator, in that it has a 15 hex optomal range (though its slightly better off with the LRMs) and basicly no speed (here, its actualy a bit worse off, though its largely accidemic) so that any time line of sight beyond 15 hexes exists, its in a real pickle.  Yes, on maps where terrain is tight and the enemy has to come to you, its a monster, since it has legitimate fighting power, but any other time, or if the enemy can simply chouse not to play your game for any reason, then its worthless.  In a campaign, I might use them to guard dropships, but that's probably about it. 

I'd love to have seen a faster version.  Yes, I know that the speed is part of the charm, and in a big way its like saying I'd like a faster Annihlator or Urbie, and I always rag on people like that.  I know if I want a faster super tank, I sould just take an Alicorn, which is relitively similar to a fast Beheamoth for being giant and having several giant guns, or a Challanger which has miss matched big guns but more secondaries.  But, for what ever reason, the speed has never stuck with me as being such a key aspect of this tank's cherictor as it as for the Urbie and Annihlator.  I don't know why, but I think of the power first, since for a tank of that era that's a lot of guns to stuff onto a tank.  Drop an LFE into one but keep the gun space similar and you should be able to get up to 3/5, which would be meaningfuly better.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2011, 16:22:46 »
Exactly the sort of tank I love to see on the battlefield: slow and easy meat for my VTOLs or aty.  Only useful in set piece or given the shortish range and terrible speed, urban fights.  A favourite target, but a really nice looking tank.  Wish it was better stat wise.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2011, 17:14:04 »
Sorry. I know you know but since when is 200 point adequate armour?

Anyway. As noted above. This tank needs range. It is designed to fight at relatively short range yet seriously lacks a knock out weapon in all of its versions. You can ignore the SRMs, flamers and MGs because they won't be in accurate range, while the LRMs don't do any damage. That leaves the two atuocanon. Yay.

Pick your angle. Immobilise then ignore.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2011, 20:37:01 »
This design begs for a Jihad upgrade of some kind, preferably with superior ranged weapons.  Thanks for covering this, Moonsword.  The Behemoth is a design that I've rarely seen mentioned and your insights are informative.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2011, 20:50:01 »
For those wanting a more Fire Support oriented version, they do eventually make the Behemoth II, but it'll be a while before it shows up.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 18 April 2011, 21:54:23 »
Sorry. I know you know but since when is 200 point adequate armour?

Err, it's got enough armor for the threat environment.  It's not great but it works.

Anyway. As noted above. This tank needs range. It is designed to fight at relatively short range yet seriously lacks a knock out weapon in all of its versions. You can ignore the SRMs, flamers and MGs because they won't be in accurate range, while the LRMs don't do any damage. That leaves the two atuocanon. Yay.

Pick your angle. Immobilise then ignore.

As I noted, the best thing to do is position them where someone is obliged to step into that range for some reason.  Unfortunately, if they don't play that game, you're SOL.

Honestly, my 2/3 cravings are quite satisfied by the UrbanMech's charm and the heavy LRM carrier's missile spam.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 18 April 2011, 21:59:13 »
I'd like to see it turned into an AIFV ala the Trajan.  Probably need a fusion engine to do that though.  L2 would be friendly to the Behemoth.  LBX and HFF would go a good ways toward fixing some of its issues.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #10 on: 19 April 2011, 01:10:08 »
With 20 LRM and SRM tubes each, this is one of those tanks that were literally waiting for the invention of the MML system...

And the AC-10s can easily be replaced with LGRs, LBX-10s or RAC-5s, depending on your preferred range envelope.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 19 April 2011, 05:02:29 »
Good tank for defensive operations, but too slow for anything else. Its also rather expensive BV wise- 1100 BV for a semi mobile gun emplacement is a bit much.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #12 on: 23 April 2011, 06:42:40 »
It's interesting to compare the Behemoth to its Clan counterpart, the Mars.  Save for the speed issue, the Mars addresses nearly all of the Behemoth's shortcomings with its Clan tech--whereas the Behemoth is marginal in the fire-support role, the Mars needs a constantly wary eye.  While it's not possible to completely re-create the Mars with Inner Sphere tech, it should certainly be possible to give the turret weapons increased reach and hitting power.  I realize that one of the Behemoth's main selling points is its low price tag, but on the modern battlefield something more needs to be done to prevent the Behemoth from generally being more than a briefly mobile, short-lived turret.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2011, 09:44:57 »
The main way you do that is spend the money to get it faster and put more armor on.  You might want to note that the Mars doesn't really do either one and is still a briefly mobile, short-lived turret.  It's just much more likely to smash someone flat before it gets blown apart assuming they don't use artillery to do it.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2011, 14:16:01 »
The main way you do that is spend the money to get it faster and put more armor on.  You might want to note that the Mars doesn't really do either one and is still a briefly mobile, short-lived turret.  It's just much more likely to smash someone flat before it gets blown apart assuming they don't use artillery to do it.

About the only way I can think of doing that is, again, to use the Mars--the Hell's Horses refit specifically--as an inspiration and replace the engine with a 300 XL.  While that does increase the speed to average for a 100 ton 'Mech or vehicle, it also more than doubles the cost of the vehicle--but that may be what's necessary to really get any use out of the Behemoth on a modern battlefield.  As for the armour...will using heavy ferro-fibrous permit the same weapon load?

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 25 April 2011, 04:04:09 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2011, 02:19:02 »
About the only way I can think of doing is, again, to use the Mars--the Hell's Horses refit specifically--as an inspiration and replace the engine with a 300 XL.  While that does increase the speed to average for a 100 ton 'Mech or vehicle, it also more than doubles the cost of the vehicle--but that may be what's necessary to really get any use out of the Behemoth on a modern battlefield.  As for the armour...will using heavy ferro-fibrous permit the same weapon load?

cheers,

Gabe

Well, the combination of Inner Sphere XL engine and heavy FF will take up five item slots, leaving your neo-Behemoth with twenty for weapons and ammunition. That means that you won't be able to directly copy, for example, the original Behemoth's weapons layout, which is just one slot above that limit courtesy of all its small launchers and MGs...but it's still plenty of space, and even with added shielding the 300 XLE is still lighter than a 200 ICE.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2011, 16:01:22 »
What you've done here is basically create a Behemoth IIC.  I have no doubt that this tank--great-looking mini BTW--can have its way with any IS tank force (regardless of faction), since the ATM allows it to start doing damage before its targets get into their own firing range.
What's of interest here is how to improve the Behemoth's performance without resorting to Clan tech.

cheers,

Gabe

Einhander

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2011, 19:23:52 »
I actually used an older behemoth recently. I had it, with the rest of my tank forces (Heavy LRM Carriers, Demo - Guass, Morningstar, Partisans), hidden behind a small ridge waiting for the rest of the enemy to advance. I placed the tank near the Pillager camped out in partial cover I was using as fire-support and bait. When the enemy had advanced to the pillager's position, I retreated it and popped the behemoth out to cover it's retreat.

During the rest of the match (until it went boom later on), the Behemoth held the flank against Davion med/heavy fast movers long enough to cover my fire support units while the rest of my main units swung around the opposite direction to engage the opponent's heavier elements.

I agree, however, that if it weren't for the convenient ridge line at my deploy point and double-blind, the unit would have had zero chance to get into range of the enemy. The unit is made for ambushes and urban environments, since both allow units to get "stuck" in it's ideal range long enough to put on the hurt.

If you can keep the enemy in range (I.E. the goodies that the enemy wants to gib force it to get in range and stay there) and you can get it into position without much trouble, its a dangerous beast, just don't expect it to perform like an Alacorn or Demolisher in their prime.

While I don't want to go to far down the custom-upgrades rabbit hole on this thread, its very do-able to swap out all of the AC-10's to Lt Guass and all the LRM/SRM for 3 forward MML-5 and 2 MML-5 in the turret with a respectable ammo load, case, and a light increase in armor. You can even toss in a 6th MML-5 if you yank out the MG...

This would give it an increased punch out to extreme/long range while still being nasty in-close and not loosing the behemoth "feel" in weapons layout.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2011, 20:21:15 »
What you've done here is basically create a Behemoth IIC.  I have no doubt that this tank--great-looking mini BTW--can have its way with any IS tank force (regardless of faction), since the ATM allows it to start doing damage before its targets get into their own firing range.
What's of interest here is how to improve the Behemoth's performance without resorting to Clan tech.

cheers,

Gabe
Oh, I had and IS-munch variant too  ;) as sidekick
300XL, 2 ultra-10 & 2 MML-7s in turret, 2 MML-7s in front, 3 light MGs with MG arrays in sides, and 11 ton of heavy FF

Greyhind

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm Watching You
« Reply #19 on: 27 April 2011, 16:31:00 »
Y'know if I were to mod it, I would switch the forwards SRMs with the side MGs and then stick the MGs in an array. 13 and a half BV and 1250CB$ later, I have a frontal volley that can do 8 damage against a hardened target and twice the firepower brought to bare on units slipping by the sides.

Then I'd go to town (literally).

Its not a brilliant mod, but its probably the most effective thing you can do for that sort of a price tag.

Wraithcannon

• Master Sergeant
  • Oh boy, here I go killing again!
« Reply #20 on: 27 April 2011, 17:18:36 »
I think a twin Guass, MML variant would be the way to go. Also throw on a pair of ER medium lasers to take advantage of having heat sinks with a fusion engine.

Then, as the man said, figure out where it's going to park itself for the majority of the battle and leave it there.
Whomever said violence isn't a solution obviously wasn't using enough.

Planning an operation against the Capellans? Hey, who wouldn't? - Sulla

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #21 on: 27 April 2011, 17:36:10 »
You do mean the MML variant of the 3053 Light Gauss variant of the much valueable Ontos right?

2 MML-7, 2 Lt. Gauss and twin ER Mediums, CASEd 3/5 tank.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Einhander

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 27 April 2011, 18:30:45 »
RE: wraithcannon, truetanker

Well, the mod I talked about above did not have a fusion engine upgrade (keeps costs down) but if I were to add a fusion engine, I would actually go full bore and use either a light or Xlight engine, keep the speed 2/3 (its not really a behemoth without it) and go silly with the weapons load out. Twin arty cannons? ER LRM's? Thunderbolts? Yes please!

-Ein
« Last Edit: 27 April 2011, 18:41:20 by Einhander »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 28 April 2011, 03:43:33 »
While light Gauss does give nicely enhanced range, the thing about a dual-LG variant is that it can't force a PSR with two 8-point hits, while the dual AC/10s can if they both connect.  In order to keep that ability with one light Gauss, you need another weapon that does 12 or more damage, and the Inner Sphere only has:

--standard Gauss
--heavy Gauss (can't go in turret)
--heavy PPC
--Ultra AC/10 (only if both shots hit at double rate)
--RAC/5 (range mismatch, only if at least 3 shots hit)
--AC/20 family (drastic range mismatch)

If you really like the dual-LG for the ability to reach out and touch someone, you've got to hope you keep hitting with enough LRMs to push it up to the 20 point limit.

cheers,

Gabe

Einhander

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 28 April 2011, 11:21:37 »
RE: gyedid

Well, there are backup MML/LRM to add the extra 2 points, but I think the ability to use the Lt gauss more often than the AC-10 makes up for it.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 28 April 2011, 18:02:24 »
RE: gyedid

Well, there are backup MML/LRM to add the extra 2 points, but I think the ability to use the Lt gauss more often than the AC-10 makes up for it.

Well, I suppose if you want to leave the tank at its canon speed, light Gauss is better because, while you're still losing damage potential, the thing is so ponderously slow (and likely to be immobilized early on) that it needs all the reach it can get--not to mention the light Gauss is a seamless swap for an AC/10.  If you bump the speed to 3/5 and try to use the Behemoth like any other JADAT, then hitting power becomes more of a priority.

Shouldn't there be a thread on the vehicle design board by now?

cheers,

Gabe

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 28 April 2011, 18:15:06 »
I generally don't open a Workshop thread unless I've got variants of my own to share and assume that otherwise, people have the discretion not to get too enthusiastic on modifications in here.

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 30 April 2011, 04:33:07 »

If one wants to keep things simple with the Behemoth, more speed and CASE is really all one needs to make it a very good "basic" line assault vehicle in the current era. Our in-house variants go a little beyond that, but not by much. The original loadout was potent, even by the standards of the late 31st Century.
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #28 on: 30 April 2011, 05:08:30 »
Best use of Behemoth I can imagine:  tricking opponent into thinking the Behomoth you are bringing to the next game is a tank.
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

Register