Author Topic: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel  (Read 67118 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
Re: My thoughts on the latest issue of Shrapnel
« Reply #210 on: 22 March 2022, 16:38:41 »
Well, if we're allowed to fish for commentary:

Pfff, even I have managed not to fish so far. So far. ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #211 on: 22 March 2022, 17:37:37 »
On the urban uprising.  It was a good story and with the cop in his pocket.  Of course, one should always give urbies a chance even if i think open  ranks maybe a tad dangerous for one of the favorite light mech.   Of course urbies isn't a bad design for solaris giving that it those matches tend to be up close and personal.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #212 on: 22 March 2022, 19:01:48 »

Pfff, even I have managed not to fish so far. So far. ;)

I bow before your admirable restraint.

The resta youz, chop chop!  Get with the reviews!
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #213 on: 22 March 2022, 21:27:03 »
Canopian Pleasure Circuses - how do they stack up against the Disney Starcruiser experience?  Are they actually spacefaring dens of evil or is SAFE just being paranoid?
I loved the entry and also described the Pleasure Circuses to a non Battletech friend. Apparently their response was "I'm all in for that, sounds really cool". So I know what to use for a starter location in an RPG if I want to tease them to the dark side of stompy robots.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #214 on: 23 March 2022, 06:16:44 »
On the urban uprising.  It was a good story and with the cop in his pocket.  Of course, one should always give urbies a chance even if i think open  ranks maybe a tad dangerous for one of the favorite light mech.   Of course urbies isn't a bad design for solaris giving that it those matches tend to be up close and personal.

It helped that Rufus also used to be a SCPD officer.  Dermott is corrupt, but wouldn’t do this much for just anyone.

One Urbie previously appeared in a 3027 Solaris Open event, joining the ambush of Justin Xiang in Ishiyama Arena, but it went out like a chump.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Kojak

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #215 on: 23 March 2022, 23:46:53 »
Did anyone get to peruse the article on Exofauna? If so, would you like to see more for your tabletop experiences?

Even though absent this stuff being implemented in MegaMek I'm unlikely to ever get to use it, I'd absolutely love to see more.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #216 on: 24 March 2022, 13:05:39 »
I really dug the "newbee" campaign for people who've only picked up a box set.  I thought it was easy enough to be fun, captured that desperate feel of the 3025 era without going too in-depth into it.  Well done!

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #217 on: 28 March 2022, 17:12:01 »
It seemed to me that this latest issue of Shrapnel was quite heavily leaning on Solaris VII as a setting. I'm sure that part of it was due to which stories were ready to go at which point in time. But while are plenty of stories to tell on the Game World, I'd hope that it doesn't unduly outweigh the rest of the setting in future issues.

Also, while it's not the kind of detail I'd necessarily expect the character in question to necessarily be aware of, I should note that the martial art which would later be labelled as "Karate" was still restricted to the Pechin warrior class in the Ryukyu Kingdom during the Edo period.

In the wake of the Satsuma invasion of Ryukyu in 1609, the Pechin were barred from carrying weapons in public, and thus were obliged to train in unarmed combat only - except in very limited circumstances when the Satsuma domain (in present-day Kagoshima Prefecture) made firearms available for Ryukyuans acting as bodyguards to envoys making the crossing from Naha to Fuzhou (and on from Fuzhou to Beijing) and back again. Karate as such did not spread elsewhere until after the annexation of Ryukyu as Okinawa Prefecture, when a number of former Pechin brought their teachings to the "home" Japanese islands.

So an Edo-period samurai loyal to the Tokugawa Bakufu would most likely not be aware of this martial art - or, if he was, he would likely have considered it beneath his notice, as it was practiced by warriors which had been defeated in battle. Perhaps doubly so, as the Satsuma samurai who had defeated Ryukyu were themselves of a "tozama" domain set below the Tokugawa shogunate itself.
« Last Edit: 28 March 2022, 17:21:47 by Nerroth »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #218 on: 28 March 2022, 18:56:04 »
It helped that Rufus also used to be a SCPD officer.  Dermott is corrupt, but wouldn’t do this much for just anyone.

One Urbie previously appeared in a 3027 Solaris Open event, joining the ambush of Justin Xiang in Ishiyama Arena, but it went out like a chump.
Having read the story, I didn't know if the SCPD was setting up their UrbanMechs to resemble the one MWO did with police lights on it and paint job.  8)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #219 on: 29 March 2022, 02:46:04 »
It seemed to me that this latest issue of Shrapnel was quite heavily leaning on Solaris VII as a setting. I'm sure that part of it was due to which stories were ready to go at which point in time. But while are plenty of stories to tell on the Game World, I'd hope that it doesn't unduly outweigh the rest of the setting in future issues.

Also, while it's not the kind of detail I'd necessarily expect the character in question to necessarily be aware of, I should note that the martial art which would later be labelled as "Karate" was still restricted to the Pechin warrior class in the Ryukyu Kingdom during the Edo period.

In the wake of the Satsuma invasion of Ryukyu in 1609, the Pechin were barred from carrying weapons in public, and thus were obliged to train in unarmed combat only - except in very limited circumstances when the Satsuma domain (in present-day Kagoshima Prefecture) made firearms available for Ryukyuans acting as bodyguards to envoys making the crossing from Naha to Fuzhou (and on from Fuzhou to Beijing) and back again. Karate as such did not spread elsewhere until after the annexation of Ryukyu as Okinawa Prefecture, when a number of former Pechin brought their teachings to the "home" Japanese islands.

So an Edo-period samurai loyal to the Tokugawa Bakufu would most likely not be aware of this martial art - or, if he was, he would likely have considered it beneath his notice, as it was practiced by warriors which had been defeated in battle. Perhaps doubly so, as the Satsuma samurai who had defeated Ryukyu were themselves of a "tozama" domain set below the Tokugawa shogunate itself.

i would like to point out, if this comment is base on a particular story in shrapnel that the person was brainwash and his though reflected not on actually events but on his idea on how those events would seem in his mind.  We already establish long ago while combine idealist Samuria culture they are not in fact doing it correctly but only doing what was centuries of misinformation and myth of that pertticular culture and so any warrior thinking about karate when he shouldn't is not an error from the writer but its a reflection on the misinformation of the combine regarding of that culture

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #220 on: 01 April 2022, 11:50:28 »
got me a copy in print (available now on Amazon!) and the Artwork adds SOOO much to the stories! I love the artwork in mine (oage 53) and the art in "hollow glory"? (pages 36-37) just TOP TIER.  The artists have been killing it in Shrapnel lately, and I wanted to do a special call out to them! :-)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #221 on: 01 April 2022, 11:53:15 »
Also, I tend to not read stories until the series is complete, so last weekend or so i finally went back and read Stackpole's story in 1-3 & 5, and I really dug it.  I feel like I -missed- a story somewhere, but I liked this one.  The universe felt lived in, and it was pretty cool seeing ian Davion as a suporting player for once, instead of Hanse.

Looking forward to finally going back and reading craig's once Shrapnel 9 comes out! hahaha

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #222 on: 01 April 2022, 15:23:38 »
Shrapnel was very good this time around. The Blackhole Mercenary company was very gripping story.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
Shrapnel #8 Dead link on page 50?
« Reply #223 on: 05 April 2022, 09:47:41 »
When I click the bg.battletech.com/shrapnel/ link on page 50 (for the record sheets), I get a popup saying: "C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign\Version 17.0\en_US\Caches\InDesign\ClipboardScrap1.pdf"

Is anyone else seeing this? It happens in Adobe Acrobat and Foxit Reader.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #225 on: 05 April 2022, 18:28:21 »
Worked for me too.  I had to exit Adobe first, though...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #226 on: 05 April 2022, 22:07:44 »
Initially, when Shrapnel 8 came out. It wasn't there.

Man Executioner-B has some humdingers of configurations.  I dare say they out shine the it's successor's configurations.  I like the B & C configurations, i could careless how much slower it is to the newer Executioner.  I think it has different role.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #227 on: 06 April 2022, 05:46:25 »

Man Executioner-B has some humdingers of configurations.  I dare say they out shine the it's successor's configurations.  I like the B & C configurations, i could careless how much slower it is to the newer Executioner.  I think it has different role.

Yep, it came later.
So, what do you think of the BA?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #228 on: 06 April 2022, 06:22:41 »
Little murder pockets with decent armor for the time, average jump, and some sensors as a treat. I like them. I could see them trying to flank vehicles and crit them or handle the PBI of a force.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #229 on: 06 April 2022, 08:08:41 »
Little murder pockets with decent armor for the time, average jump, and some sensors as a treat. I like them. I could see them trying to flank vehicles and crit them or handle the PBI of a force.

Being black ops, getting rid of PBI is pretty much what they are supposed to do.
They can take on heavier things, but it gets ugly.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #230 on: 06 April 2022, 14:16:22 »
I like them, especially with how they are set up I can see quite the "boss fight" just trying to escape them in a RPG.
*rolls dice* "His sensors are working just fine. Run."

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #231 on: 06 April 2022, 14:42:44 »

Yeah, i dig it, but MAN is it gonna be tricky to explain at this week's game "I brought an Executioner B A."
them: "say that again, but slower?
me: -sigh- "i brought the slower executioner's A version." ;-P hahaha
other than the super confusing name, i dig it too.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #232 on: 06 April 2022, 16:42:02 »
Yeah, i dig it, but MAN is it gonna be tricky to explain at this week's game "I brought an Executioner B A."

More likely they'll think it's a new Battle Armor.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #233 on: 06 April 2022, 20:18:35 »
More likely they'll think it's a new Battle Armor.

You thought I brought Battle Armor
but you'd be wrong, son-
I got 99 more tons
than an Elemental's one...  :D

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #234 on: 06 April 2022, 22:39:11 »
I like them, especially with how they are set up I can see quite the "boss fight" just trying to escape them in a RPG.
*rolls dice* "His sensors are working just fine. Run."

that the one thing about all the gray death ba they all seem to enjoy sensor packages

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #235 on: 07 April 2022, 07:19:19 »
Just tell the that Executioner B A is from A Team and the MechWarrior name is Baracus. ;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #236 on: 07 April 2022, 07:34:18 »
Yep, it came later.
So, what do you think of the BA?
Those are certainly interesting diverse walking daggers.
Versatile and mobile.  I'm afraid I don't often use Battle armor to give more opinion on them.

I didn't notice at first, half of the Executioner-B's configs are on the extreme side of over heating like the C and Prime configurations. They could literally explode if using half their weapon compliment. Was intended to be flaw design or bracket fire machine?

jymset

• Infinita Navitas & RecGuide Developer
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant
  • the one and only
« Reply #237 on: 07 April 2022, 10:37:41 »
I didn't notice at first, half of the Executioner-B's configs are on the extreme side of over heating like the C and Prime configurations. They could literally explode if using half their weapon compliment. Was intended to be flaw design or bracket fire machine?

Ayup!

Quote from: Shrapnel #8, p.45
Once in service, its overladen physical construction and fixed jump jets limited the versatility of the chassis. Few standard configurations exist, and most tend to overheat heavily.

And that's pretty much it. Besides, B and C were pre-determined, mostly, by other sources, while the Prime tried to be fairly accurate to the 3050U illo. The A is completely new, but cops out by going all Annihilator-lite.

It was fun coming up with 95 tons of "almost there."
On CGL writing: Caught between a writer's block and a Herb place. (cray)

Nicest writing compliment ever: I know [redacted] doesn't like continuity porn, but I do, and you sir, write some great continuity porn! (MadCapellan)

3055 rocks! Did so when I was a n00b, does so now.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #238 on: 07 April 2022, 21:54:33 »
Ahh it makes sense now.

I hope the Huntress artillery mechs gets time to shine.  My group using a slightly different version of it, it's interesting machine see in acting.

davidrazi

• Recruit
« Reply #239 on: 18 April 2022, 21:47:20 »
"Sackcloth and Sand" - a nod to Robert Thurston's Jade Falcon work with the Clan warrior Naiad, a member of the 'illegal' sibko fashioned from Aidan Pryde in Falcon Rising. From the ending I get the impression this is a set up for a sequel; hopefully we'll see more of the Jade Falcon war against the Society, and more of Aidan's 'daughter'.

Oh, I have many ideas...but I am a victim of the queue.