Author Topic: "Paradise City" Station  (Read 5883 times)

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
"Paradise City" Station
« on: 29 July 2011, 13:45:49 »
Just something i cooked up, was bored

Code: [Select]
                    AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
                                 VALIDATED

Class/Model/Name:  Paradise City
Tech:              Inner Sphere / 3175
Vessel Type:       Space Station
Rules:             Level 3, Custom design
Rules Set:         AeroTech2

Mass:              2,500,000 tons
Length:            2,500 meters
Power Plant:       Standard
Safe Thrust:       0
Maximum Thrust:    0
Armor Type:        Standard
Armament:         
  100 SCL/3
   80 Thunderbolt 20
   40 Large Pulse Laser
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Equipment:                                                            Mass 
Power Plant, Drive & Control:                                       30,000.00
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 0
      Maximum Thrust: 0
Structural Integrity: 1                                             25,000.00
Total Heat Sinks:    2,120 Double                                    1,831.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps:                                                  17,340.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters:              2,500.00
Fire Control Computers:                                              4,296.00
Food & Water:  (749 days supply)                                   532,575.00
Hyperpulse Generator:                                                   50.00
Armor Type:  Standard  (3,600 total armor pts)                       8,999.00
                           Capital Scale Armor Pts
   Fore:                                600
   Fore-Left/Right:                  600/600
   Aft-Left/Right:                   600/600
   Aft:                                 600

Cargo:
   Bay 1:  Small Craft (150) with 20 doors                          30,000.00
   Bay 2:  UnPress Repair Facil. (3-2,500,000 T Capy, 3 doors)     187,500.00
   Bay 3:  Press Repair Facil. (3-100,000 T Capy, 3 doors)          22,500.00
   Bay 4:  Cargo (1)                                                11,173.00

DropShip Capacity:  50 Docking Hardpoints                           50,000.00
Grav Decks #1 - 15:  (2500-meter diameter)                           7,500.00
Escape Pods:  23,712 (7 tons each)                                 165,984.00

Crew and Passengers:
    200 Officers (194 minimum)                                       2,000.00
    850 Crew (345 minimum)                                           5,950.00
    120 Gunners (120 minimum)                                          840.00
 45,000 1st Class Passengers                                       450,000.00
 95,000 2nd Class Passengers                                       665,000.00
    250 Marines                                                      1,250.00
    100 Marine Battle Armor Troopers/Elementals                        700.00
    750 Bay Personnel                                                     .00
Weapons and Equipment      Loc        SRV    MRV    LRV    ERV  Heat    Mass
10 SCL/3                   Nose        30     30     --     --  320  2,500.00
20 SCL/3                   FL/R        60     60     --     -- 1280 10,000.00
20 Thunderbolt 20(399 roundFL/R   40(400)40(400)     --     --  320    866.00
10 Large Pulse Laser       FL/R     9(90)  9(90)     --     --  200    140.00
20 SCL/3                   AL/R        60     60     --     -- 1280 10,000.00
20 Thunderbolt 20(399 roundAL/R   40(400)40(400)     --     --  320    866.00
10 Large Pulse Laser       AL/R     9(90)  9(90)     --     --  200    140.00
10 SCL/3                   Aft         30     30     --     --  320  2,500.00
1 Lot Spare Parts (10.00%)                                         250,000.00
TOTALS:                                            Heat: 4,240   2,500,000.00
Tons Left:                                                                .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        216,084,895,000 C-Bills
Battle Value:      103,621
Cost per BV:       2,085,338.83
Weapon Value:      76,873 (Ratio = .74)
Damage Factors:    SRV = 4,577;  MRV = 4,236;  LRV = 2,167;  ERV = 0
Maintenance:       Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 7,342,431
                   (146,611 Structure, 7,143,500 Life Support, 52,320 Weapons)
                   Support Points (SP) = 1,349,360  (18% of MPV)
BattleForce2:      Not applicable
« Last Edit: 29 July 2011, 13:52:42 by Snake Eyes »

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
Re: "Paradise City" Station
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2011, 15:37:40 »
well it is a neat idea! Is it a habitat or more of a vacation location? It's very safe from outside threats as well. Kind of a fun idea!

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2011, 15:45:06 »
I would put her as the refuge a ship crew would want to see while their ship is undergoing massive repairs.  Plenty of room for the embarked crews of the 3 warships and 3 dropships undergoing repairs at once to move around while the yard crews work.  Room for families of the yard workers to stay, room for the merchantmen who are bringing supplies and equipment the yard will need to stay, even room for transients to stay on who are waiting on the next ship out or the bad community that will easily develop if you have this many people in one place.  So yes, it is a paradise in this regard.  Definitely has enough firepower to keep a few marauders away.

Would be neat to see such a massive habitat be built or lingering around as a relic of an earlier age.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2011, 17:05:03 »
I would put her as the refuge a ship crew would want to see while their ship is undergoing massive repairs.  Plenty of room for the embarked crews of the 3 warships and 3 dropships undergoing repairs at once to move around while the yard crews work.  Room for families of the yard workers to stay, room for the merchantmen who are bringing supplies and equipment the yard will need to stay, even room for transients to stay on who are waiting on the next ship out or the bad community that will easily develop if you have this many people in one place.  So yes, it is a paradise in this regard.  Definitely has enough firepower to keep a few marauders away.

Would be neat to see such a massive habitat be built or lingering around as a relic of an earlier age.
Thats what i was going for, a small city/stop-off for ships, vacationers, transients, merchants, etc.......and enough firepower to keep out riff-raff

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2011, 17:33:22 »

Isn't there one already in the Lyran Alliance Gulf Breeze Station?  Never been given stats but its supposed to be huge

Only thing I'd say about this one is AMS and I only say that because of recent design sense and it's a sitting duck so AMS would be handy
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2011, 22:06:00 »
Only thing I'd say about this one is AMS and I only say that because of recent design sense and it's a sitting duck so AMS would be handy
Ok, thats a good idea.....never thought of that, i may go back and add some AMS or L-AMS

Fireangel

• Major
  • 7397 posts right down the toilet...
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2011, 10:15:30 »
Even with the staff, workers, crew and passengers of three warships and throngs of vacationers, 140,000 passenger quarters seems... excessive. ::)

I would use the design more as a fleet resupply/repair/command station (think of the Ticonderoga Fleet Battlestation from Starship Troopers. I might even swap out a couple hundred steerage quarters for infantry bays, fluffed as platoon training/staging areas.

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2011, 11:52:39 »
Even with the staff, workers, crew and passengers of three warships and throngs of vacationers, 140,000 passenger quarters seems... excessive. ::)

I would use the design more as a fleet resupply/repair/command station (think of the Ticonderoga Fleet Battlestation from Starship Troopers. I might even swap out a couple hundred steerage quarters for infantry bays, fluffed as platoon training/staging areas.

for zero-g opps. Good idea. Although I liked the excessive amounts of passengers myself. Makes it seem like some kind of Star League relic. The SL built it cuz they could. Now the people living there upkeep it cuz it's their home. :)

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2011, 12:15:36 »
for zero-g opps. Good idea. Although I liked the excessive amounts of passengers myself. Makes it seem like some kind of Star League relic. The SL built it cuz they could. Now the people living there upkeep it cuz it's their home. :)

Yes, but what do these people do for a living? 140,000 is a bit excessive even for a 6-ship yard. As a fleet station one could say that the high passenger count is so that it can accommodate several infantry divisions (including REMFs, technical staff, transport crews and even camp followers) at once, but most of the time the station would not be anywhere near that capacity.

As a trading station it might work, but then, its massive armament and armour might actually discourage open trade of the sort where several full-staff embassies or consulates are hosted, along with civilian help.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2011, 13:59:28 »
I like the input everyone is giving :)

When i first designed this i was kinda thinking about the DS9 from Star Trek, combined with a small city/town......i figure the armament would be hidden until needed.......i see i will be needing to go back and do some tweaking here and there

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2011, 14:01:07 »
Oh hitch if this is an SL station Gulf Breeze is fluffed as being the largest in the IS and it holds 200,000 iirc some of the Clan ones are bigger but none in the IS.

Maybe if it was in a lost system or something maybe this could be all that's left in that system this is the population center

Yes, but what do these people do for a living?

What do most of the folks on B5 do?  Hang about spung off the military or try to get off it.  I see many of the folks on this feeling the same way
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2011, 14:54:27 »
What do most of the folks on B5 do?  Hang about spung off the military or try to get off it.  I see many of the folks on this feeling the same way

Note that I specifically made mention of its use as a trading station, much like B5, with each faction having its own personnel and auxiliaries/civilians; in such a case, a relatively high degree of redundancy is not only acceptable but expected. In the BT universe, there are significantly fewer factions with significantly fewer needs AND the amount of space/stellar commerce simply does not accommodate the need for 140,000 people. Interestingly enough, TRO:3057 tells us that the clans are rumoured to have habitat stations than house 200,000 people or more... and here we do have a situation with multiple factions that might require a high degree of redundancy of function for commerce and diplomacy to prosper (along with a large labourer caste that does a lot of the physical work living in some pretty harsh conditions).

The habitat stations in canon tend to be (in general) much smaller, basically housing for other stations. the Paradise City station is all-inclusive; the kind of this useful as a staging area for a large military endeavour or for a huge, multi-faction trading facility.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2011, 18:38:21 »
@ Dragon Cat & Fireangel.......good points......This could be very well a lost colony somewhere in the periphery....

I think what i'll do is reduce the the 1st class amount a little since these are suppossed to the colonists, and maybe increase the 2nd class a little to show that these are transients.....and reduce the armor to add some AMS.

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2011, 19:03:30 »
@ Dragon Cat & Fireangel.......good points......This could be very well a lost colony somewhere in the periphery....

I think what i'll do is reduce the the 1st class amount a little since these are suppossed to the colonists, and maybe increase the 2nd class a little to show that these are transients.....and reduce the armor to add some AMS.

I'd reduce first class by half (leaving 22,500)... then put those 225,000 tons into steerage quarters (45,000), then do the same with 2nd class: reduce them by half (47,500) then take the tonnage freed and put it into steerage (+66,500, for a total of 111,500 steerage quarters).

THEN, I'd take, say, 10,000 of these and allocate them as foot infantry bays, accommodating a mind-blowing 280,000 additional people in case of emergency and neatly fluffing it as "including recreational/training facilities for the entire station" since the bays' capacity outnumbers the full "standard capacity" and is not intended for use under normal circumstances.

Remember that a "steerage quarters" is not a self-enclosed module; the five tons represents tonnage allocated throughout the station to support one person in minimal comfort without resorting to massive drains on life support; 20 tons allocated to steerage quarters could mean four individual cubicles, two double-occupancy cabins or a 4-person habitat for a full family of 4.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2011, 20:27:58 »
I'd reduce first class by half (leaving 22,500)... then put those 225,000 tons into steerage quarters (45,000), then do the same with 2nd class: reduce them by half (47,500) then take the tonnage freed and put it into steerage (+66,500, for a total of 111,500 steerage quarters).

THEN, I'd take, say, 10,000 of these and allocate them as foot infantry bays, accommodating a mind-blowing 280,000 additional people in case of emergency and neatly fluffing it as "including recreational/training facilities for the entire station" since the bays' capacity outnumbers the full "standard capacity" and is not intended for use under normal circumstances.

Remember that a "steerage quarters" is not a self-enclosed module; the five tons represents tonnage allocated throughout the station to support one person in minimal comfort without resorting to massive drains on life support; 20 tons allocated to steerage quarters could mean four individual cubicles, two double-occupancy cabins or a 4-person habitat for a full family of 4.
Good idea Fireangel, thanks for the idea O0

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2011, 20:33:49 »
Nice design... however the cargo bay is very, very, very small considering the tonnage of the station and the role it performs.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 30 July 2011, 20:48:26 »
Here's version 2.0

AeroTech 2 Vessel Technical Readout
                                   VALIDATED
Tech:              Inner Sphere / 3175
Vessel Type:       Space Station
Rules:             Level 3, Custom design
Rules Set:         AeroTech2

Length:            2,500 meters
Power Plant:       Standard
Safe Thrust:       0
Maximum Thrust:    0
Armor Type:        Lamellor Ferro-carbide
Armament:         
   50 SCL/3*
   60 Laser AMS*
   80 Thunderbolt 20
   40 Large Pulse Laser

Equipment:                                                            Mass 
Power Plant, Drive & Control:                                       30,000.00
Thrust:  Safe Thrust: 0
      Maximum Thrust: 0
Structural Integrity: 1                                             25,000.00
Total Heat Sinks:    1,530 Double                                    1,241.00
Fuel & Fuel Pumps:                                                  17,340.00
Bridge, Controls, Radar, Computer & Attitude Thrusters:              2,500.00
Fire Control Computers:                                              2,308.00
Food & Water:  (600 days supply)                                   542,940.00
Hyperpulse Generator:                                                   50.00
Armor Type:  Lamellor Ferro-carbide  (1,800 total armor pts)         1,800.00
                           Capital Scale Armor Pts
   Fore:                                300
   Fore-Left/Right:                  300/300
   Aft-Left/Right:                   300/300
   Aft:                                 300

Cargo:
   Bay 1:  Small Craft (150) with 20 doors                          30,000.00
   Bay 2:  UnPress Repair Facil. (3-2,500,000 T Capy, 2 doors)     187,500.00
   Bay 3:  Press Repair Facil. (3-100,000 T Capy, 3 doors)          22,500.00
   Bay 4:  Cargo (1)                                                90,000.00

DropShip Capacity:  50 Docking Hardpoints                           50,000.00
Grav Decks #1 - 15:  (2500-meter diameter)                           7,500.00
Escape Pods:  30164 (7 tons each)                                  211,148.00

Crew and Passengers:
    200 Officers (186 minimum)                                       2,000.00
    850 Crew (345 minimum)                                           5,950.00
     80 Gunners (80 minimum)                                           560.00
 22,000 1st Class Passengers                                       220,000.00
 47,000 2nd Class Passengers                                       329,000.00
100,000 Steerage Passengers                                        500,000.00
 10,000 Marines                                                     50,000.00
    100 Marine Battle Armor Troopers/Elementals                        700.00
    750 Bay Personnel                                                     .00
Weapons and Equipment      Loc        SRV    MRV    LRV    ERV  Heat    Mass
5 SCL/3*                   Nose        15     15     --     --  160  1,250.00
10 Laser AMS*              Nose        --     --     --     --   70     15.00
10 SCL/3*                  FL/R        30     30     --     --  640  5,000.00
20 Thunderbolt 20(399 roundFL/R   40(400)40(400)     --     --  320    866.00
10 Large Pulse Laser       FL/R     9(90)  9(90)     --     --  200    140.00
10 Laser AMS*              FL/R        --     --     --     --  140     30.00
10 SCL/3*                  AL/R        30     30     --     --  640  5,000.00
20 Thunderbolt 20(399 roundAL/R   40(400)40(400)     --     --  320    866.00
10 Large Pulse Laser       AL/R     9(90)  9(90)     --     --  200    140.00
10 Laser AMS*              AL/R        --     --     --     --  140     30.00
5 SCL/3*                   Aft         15     15     --     --  160  1,250.00
10 Laser AMS*              Aft         --     --     --     --   70     15.00
1 Lot Spare Parts (6.21%)                                          155,361.00
TOTALS:                                            Heat: 3,060   2,500,000.00
Tons Left:                                                                .00

Calculated Factors:
Total Cost:        217,601,295,000 C-Bills
Battle Value:      71,734
Cost per BV:       3,033,447.11
Weapon Value:      47,350 (Ratio = .66)
Damage Factors:    SRV = 3,367;  MRV = 2,861;  LRV = 1,083;  ERV = 0
Maintenance:       Maintenance Point Value (MPV) = 9,266,720
                   (140,200 Structure, 9,079,000 Life Support, 47,520 Weapons)
                   Support Points (SP) = 1,317,840  (14% of MPV)
BattleForce2:      Not applicable

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 31 July 2011, 15:09:14 »
Nice design... however the cargo bay is very, very, very small considering the tonnage of the station and the role it performs.

Over half a million tons of supplies and over 155kt of spare parts are also part of the cargo hold.  8)

Here's version 2.0

10,000 Marines                                                     50,000.00

No. Not individual marines quarters: I'm talking about 28-trooper five-ton conventional foot infantry bays. This would add 280,000 bay personnel to the mix. ;)

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 31 July 2011, 15:59:53 »
No. Not individual marines quarters: I'm talking about 28-trooper five-ton conventional foot infantry bays. This would add 280,000 bay personnel to the mix.
D'oh @p?

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2011, 17:26:14 »
*Take me down to the Paradise City...*

ahem, sorry. had to get it out of my system  :P

This is very similar to an idea I was working on as part of a campaign. I like the original a bit better; I'm seeing Las Vegas in space. any place with enough traffic passing through the airlocks will have no lack of use for that many passengers. Travelers need all kinds of ...services
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2011, 18:36:11 »
*Take me down to the Paradise City...*

ahem, sorry. had to get it out of my system  :P

This is very similar to an idea I was working on as part of a campaign. I like the original a bit better; I'm seeing Las Vegas in space. any place with enough traffic passing through the airlocks will have no lack of use for that many passengers. Travelers need all kinds of ...services

Even with a full load of 50 Monarch liners, that's not even one tenth of the capacity of the original version of the station.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2011, 19:39:27 »
Even in space, Casinos have large staff requirements. And that's just for the legitimate services  :D then you get all of their accountants and bookies and whatnot...  it fills up fast #P

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 02 August 2011, 09:44:48 »
Let's see; for each and every one of the 13,300 passengers of the 50 Monarch liners docked, we would have:

one personal assistant
one tech "handyman"
one accountant
one lawyer/paralegal
one doctor/nurse
one secretary
one cook
one maid
one professional escort

9:1 ratio.

Even assuming that half the personnel of the station are not involved in the tourism aspect at all, the ratio is totally skewed. Modern top-of-the-line hotels boast proudly that they have a one-to-one employee-to-guest ratio.

Let's take that 1:1 ratio;

Each guest has one employee.
Plus one "support services" person (accountant, medical, legal)
Each employee has a non-working spouse an 2 kids.
Each employee has one person supporting their family.

6:1 ratio.

lucho

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 02 August 2011, 22:23:42 »
true, but watch out for the error of assuming that everyone on the station is actually doing something important. I doubt that the station will look too deeply into every resident that pays the rent (think: off-the-book activities. think: many, many RPG story hooks)

Fireangel

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 03 August 2011, 12:33:52 »
true, but watch out for the error of assuming that everyone on the station is actually doing something important. I doubt that the station will look too deeply into every resident that pays the rent (think: off-the-book activities. think: many, many RPG story hooks)
Each employee has a non-working spouse and 2 kids.

6:1 Ratio

In fiction that may work great, but think about it; real life does not work that way. A 20% unemployment rate is usually catastrophic in a small, closed society. A "shadow" economy does not require that many people; notice the 6:1 ratio? That leaves three people for every guest who might potentially be part of this "shadow economy" (which is ridiculous in any sort of scrutiny); 30% of the entire population making money "the old fashioned way", translating as a 25% to 50% total unemployement rate.