Author Topic: Terrain Hex Pack in progress  (Read 172817 times)

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - Download archive added
« Reply #90 on: 09 March 2014, 05:17:20 »
Whitar, I've been quite on this wonderful project of yours, for too long I love it  O0  [applause] [neko], any updates & / or new downloads ?.

Many Thanks [rockon] [brew] .

Dave. [wildandcrazy]

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #91 on: 09 March 2014, 12:46:01 »
I have to add my reiterated enthusiasm for your work. However and whenever you work on it, many of us are interested. Thanks for doing it.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #92 on: 09 March 2014, 21:46:57 »
That looks amazing.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 14 March 2014, 15:59:02 »
Thank you guys! Your wishes inspire me to continue  ^-^

Unfortunatelly, I'm away from my home PC, where I keep all the project files, and will not be back till mid summer, I guess  :-\
Last time I tried to impove the counters, and thought about doing a movement tokens, you know, "walked", "ran", "jumped", also, "prone", "shut down", and so forth. What do you think about that?

Thank you for your support!

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #94 on: 14 March 2014, 16:56:30 »
What about colors?

For targets: a bulls-eye that's . . .
black: immobile/shutdown (-4)
blue: 0-2 (+0)
green: 3-4 (+1)
yellow: 5-6 (+2)
orange: 7-9 (+3)
red: 10+ (+4)

colored bulls-eyes with colored clouds for targets that jumped

for shooters, a solid disc:
blue: stationary (+0)
green: walk (+1)
yellow: run (+2)
red: jump (+3)

You'd need two markers per mech but could easily know what targets did from both perspectives.  Once you design the markers, it's simply a matter of printing them in sheets. A few sheets should yield enough markers for a large force.

Just throwing it out.  Be safe over there.

JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #95 on: 15 March 2014, 04:13:52 »
@ Whitar, I look forward to when you are able to put up what you can, when you can, have a safe few months away, with regard to the counters you mentioned ... good ideas I for 1 would love to see those as they sound very useful, .. what size are you thinking off ?, small enough to fit on the 'Mechs hex base - yet still be large enough to read easy ?.

@ John Blackwell, you too have raised some very good points & I agree with these.

Dave.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #96 on: 15 March 2014, 15:55:22 »
Thanks! I totally understood the mechanics now) I thought about a target icon for shooting counter and an arrow icon as movement, all colored proprietary.
Aso for size, maybe a rectangle or a circle, to place near the mech\unit
I put a quick sketch

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #97 on: 15 March 2014, 16:04:03 »
Great job so far, Whitar.

I'll look forward to see the counters.

I'll probably in the meantime download and print Your work ;)

Have a safe time and have fun.

M4cr0Dutch

• Sergeant
  • Fate sits high in the bidder's chair.
    • Old School Gaming
« Reply #98 on: 17 March 2014, 01:11:24 »
I'll take anything you can give me  O0 The counters look like a good idea to me; in my gaming group we have a table printed on each record sheet for recording movement mods. This would be a much cooler way of recording that info.
"If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution."

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 19 March 2014, 02:46:04 »
Just wanted to say THANK YOU Mr. Whitar O0
I was about to do this myself but why even bother if you already did such a pretty work. WOW!

Would you mind explaining or loosing a few words on how you did this. Did you make those tiles from original photos (satelite) or painted them yourself or what? These are not only very beautiful they perfectly match the style of the classic BT maps. I´m really flabbergasted #P

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #100 on: 19 March 2014, 11:48:22 »
Thank you! The thread is living, and I'm thinking over new stuff  ^-^
As for the artwork, I use Photoshop, various combinations of textures, and experiment with forms and graphics.. I actually make a collage, try to achieve realistic, though stylized look. I draw the buildings in Photoshop from scratch. I chose top view, as isometric view was to complicated to make fast.
That's all I could explain, thanks fro your interest!

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #101 on: 27 March 2014, 09:43:18 »
I have printed them on cardboard (see attachment) and made myself some fire and smoke markers. They are not as fancy as Whitars markers but I like them :)

« Last Edit: 27 March 2014, 09:46:31 by Domi1981 »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #102 on: 27 March 2014, 12:48:34 »
I'm sorry, could you please upload it as a picture? can't open your attachment((

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #103 on: 27 March 2014, 13:49:53 »
eh? I used the forum software to embed the photo. Maybe you use an adblocker?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 27 March 2014, 14:52:16 »
See if this works.

Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #105 on: 28 March 2014, 17:02:50 »
Oh cool! And great quality print, too. Make some pictures how you incorporate those in your games ;) I'll be away for 5 months, then come back with some updates. Thanks for your interest and support of my project) Write here any ideas for future maps and markers. My green world is almost done, so arctic and red desert come next. I try to replicate the Sega Battletech game enviroments)

lordunborn

• Recruit
« Reply #106 on: 09 April 2014, 14:47:18 »
I had to create an account just to say thank you and your work is amazing.  I am looking forward to your return in 5 months!

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 09 April 2014, 16:58:47 »
Thank you! I made some sketches in my notebook, will work on new terrain when I come back. Se you later in the thread, glad you like my work!

RiTz21

• Private
    • The Only Sheet
« Reply #108 on: 10 April 2014, 22:37:57 »
Whitar - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!   O0

I am trying to print a map I found on the web (discussed here) and I think the RIVER tokens you made would be sweet to 'continue' the river on a subsequent map!

Did you create/share an archive with those tokens? I did get the "Classic_Battletech_Map_Sheet_by_Whitar" package, but didn't see those in there.

THANKS for sharing!!
RiTz21

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #109 on: 12 April 2014, 16:17:45 »
Hey! Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm away from home for long, and don't remember what I put in the first pack, will continue when I come back, as I need to work on those rivers a bit more anyway
Thank you for support!

noisenerd

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 12 April 2014, 21:34:13 »
Thanks for this! I was just looking for exactly this kind of thing, and this stuff looks really good.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #111 on: 17 May 2014, 14:12:54 »
Hey! Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm away from home for long, and don't remember what I put in the first pack, will continue when I come back, as I need to work on those rivers a bit more anyway
Thank you for support!

If you are in need for ideas here are some:
streets
swamp and swamp with trees
trenches for infantry
frozen lakes
hills
lost legs/arms
Dropship

I add some of mine later.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2014, 14:14:38 by Domi1981 »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #112 on: 17 May 2014, 14:55:41 »
That would be interesting to make, and most important, useful bits on battlefield, thanks! I'm sketching new buildings for the next map, all done in paper for now. Will be home in October, I'll continue the project with great enthusiasm. Thank you for thoughts and support!

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #113 on: 19 May 2014, 07:03:05 »
If you are on buildings. Could you please do some more buildings which serve a purpose like helipads, hangars, baracks etc.? Thank you for the effort. :)

I just reported this thread to be pinned to the top. Your work really deserves this. I stay tuned.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 07:06:20 by Domi1981 »

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: 20 May 2014, 12:33:47 »
Thank you, I really appreciate that!
Sure, nice ideas too, will work on those
Sorry that will take a while before I return

Damocles346

• Recruit
« Reply #115 on: 28 May 2014, 01:05:45 »
Hello!

I have recently started playing BattleTech for the first time ever. Was looking around for some terrain and I came across your excellent tiles. Just figured I would pop in to say, thank you for all the awesome work, and I hope you keep making more! I included some pictures of the tiles I have finished. I had some foam board handy, so I just printed them out on my crappy printer and then backed them on the foam board for some added structure.

The images were taken from my phone, so not the greatest quality, but yeah, you are doing awesome work! It's already improved my meager table.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: 28 May 2014, 04:02:38 »
Thank you for kind feedback! Those look so cool  O0
Sure I will make more, stay in touch. I plan to make a desert and ice world scenery after I finish everything I planned for greenlands

Seems that the hexes I made a a tad smaller, then those of your map, I oriented on the mech base dimensions, don't know why really  :)
« Last Edit: 28 May 2014, 04:07:59 by Whitar »

Damocles346

• Recruit
« Reply #117 on: 28 May 2014, 09:48:50 »
Thank you for kind feedback! Those look so cool  O0
Sure I will make more, stay in touch. I plan to make a desert and ice world scenery after I finish everything I planned for greenlands

Seems that the hexes I made a a tad smaller, then those of your map, I oriented on the mech base dimensions, don't know why really  :)

Huh, I thought that the they were smaller on purpose, and I guess I would urge you to keep them that way. When they are slightly smaller they can fit together in a series easier I think. If you made them "just right" I feel like they would be harder to print, and would bump into each other easier, making it harder to put in series, something especially needed for the rivers and lakes tiles. (Which I will be trying next, for sure!)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #118 on: 28 May 2014, 10:47:28 »
Post all result here, I'm very interested to see how you move on

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #119 on: 29 May 2014, 21:52:22 »
First of all, your work is fantastic.  I can't wait to print these off and try em out.

Sounds like you won't be able to do much work on this project till the fall, but you can always brain-storm. I've always preferred objective based scenarios instead of straight team death match. With that in mind, I'd love to see some map scale drop ships as well as specific use building like the ideas posted above. Maybe a factory, fortress, power generator, defense turrets, etc.
An additional idea for natural terrain: a multi-hex canyon would be an interesting feature and could fit into any terrain, specially dessert/badlands. A couple hexes wide and a few hexes long would probably be good enough. Deep enough to cause some damage should someone fall into it but maybe also has a slope on one or both ends so survivors can climb their way back out.
Another idea: Nothing says choke point like a bridge token that's 1 hex wide and several hexes long.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)