Author Topic: Where does the FRR/GBD/Rasalhague Dominion belong around these parts?  (Read 6212 times)

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
It's a question that was never really answered on the old boards and I'm curious here as well. It's my faction. Are they Clan? Are they a House? They probably aren't Periphery, but where in the Nine Hells do we belong? Thanks folks for your input. :)

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Dirk Bastion

• Sergeant
  • It's Battle Armor, honestly!
Very debatable, depends a lot on how you define "Successor State" (state born out of the defunct Star League, or a state which claims a succession to the throne of First Lord).
Considering the treatment of the post-FWL states, I'd say Periphery.

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
There's nothing keeping you from roaming all the forums, although I'd say the more interesting moments happen when there's flaming discussion across Clan and Successor State boards.

RAE

• Sergeant
  • Capellan Confederation: Deadly Stylish
Along with the RotS, Raven Alliance and FWL splinter-states, the Dominion is what I call an 'Inner Sphere faction'. Though the Ghost Bear fans might think otherwise, I guess ::)

"Everything falls if it gets hit hard enough. I'll just have to make sure it don't get up again"
- Marcus Barton, Colonel, 2nd MAC

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
I'd have to agree.  With the remaining Clan Invasion corridor factions becoming more and more a part of Inner Sphere politics (and culture, even!), there's not much keeping the OZ from simply being like the FWL splinter states, although with slightly, um, how shall we say, different, rules.

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
The RasDom is such an amalgam of Clan and Inner Sphere cultures now, I don't think they're wholly Clan or Inner Sphere. Though, since they're within the periphery of the Inner Sphere, I'd say discussion best belongs here.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
The RasDom is certainly no Periphery nation. Though, they don't belong to the Successor States proper. Only the five Great Houses are true Successor States. And I wouldn't call them Clan anymore. To me, they're something like IS nation. Therefore, they belong to the Successor States sub-board, because there are all IS nations discussed, which are neither Periphery nor Clan.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
The RasDom is certainly no Periphery nation. Though, they don't belong to the Successor States proper. Only the five Great Houses are true Successor States. And I wouldn't call them Clan anymore. To me, they're something like IS nation. Therefore, they belong to the Successor States sub-board, because there are all IS nations discussed, which are neither Periphery nor Clan.

It's a weird hybrid.  The FRR is unquestionably an IS faction.  The Bears are certainly Clanners.  When the two decide to do the horizontal tango... eh.  Call 'em IS unless you're talking the finer points of Clan honor and gear.  It's not like anyone really cares if you open a thread to address something specific.

theplasticone

• Private
  • RasDom? Hardly knew 'em!
Class of our own!  }:)

The MWDA fiction (Trial By Chaos, Touring the Stars, INN article on the Super Bowl) seems to emphasize the Clan part of things, and most of the Dominion was a Clan OZ or two. I'm sticking with Clan classification.

Hogarth, base, HOGARTH!

ArcaneRaven

• Lieutenant
That's not wrong for sure. AToW and TW with their respective political maps of the IS (set during the Jihad) place the faction into the Clan camp. Though, while the timeline proceeds and the merger does so as well, the hybrid status of the faction makes it harder to assess it correctly. It truly is /becomes a new type of faction.

Same could be said about the Outworlds Alliance or, for different reasons about the Sharks/Foxes.

Cowdragon

• Captain
just glad I'm not the only one confused, lol.  [drool]

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
IIRC, Clan Ghost Bear still exists as a semi-separate entity within the RasDom, so I'd say RasDom here, but also maintain the Ghost Bear thread in the Clan section.  Not unlike how there won't stop being a Raven thread because there's a Raven Alliance thread in the Periph.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
There still needs to be a place for discussion of things that relate only to the Ghost Bears.  Speculation about a Klondike-era Bear force or their squabbles with the Horses during the Golden Century, for example, has precisely zip to do with the Free Rasalhague Republic.

Nibs

• Captain
I think they get their own subforum, now.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Yeah, the Bears have a subforum... not sure about Rasalhague yet.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
Just drop it in the IS forum where this thread already is.

Guardsman

• Captain
  • Sang-wei Christopher Vose
Re: Where does the FRR/GBD/Rasalhague Dominion belong around these parts?
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2011, 06:18:26 »
A lot of it depends on the context. When discussing Clan Ghost Bear, it should be in the Clan section. When discussing freeborn Rasalhagians, they belong in the Inner Sphere. However, referring to the Successor States can be confusing, since the politics have changed over time. Strictly speaking, I believe that if you want to call them Successor States, Periphery, and Clan, the Successor States should refer only to the big five, the Homeworld Clans should be in the Clan section, and everything else should get lumped into the Periphery. If you’re going to divide it by Inner Sphere, Periphery, and Clans, then the Rasalhague Dominion would be Inner Sphere, the ARDC would be Inner Sphere, but the Raven Alliance would not.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
You will live on forever,
So long as the internet exists,
We shall remember you, Albatross.
1st Chesterton Guards
Regiment/Veteran/Fanatical
100% Strength | 100% Upgraded

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2011, 11:31:06 »
A lot of it depends on the context. When discussing Clan Ghost Bear, it should be in the Clan section. When discussing freeborn Rasalhagians, they belong in the Inner Sphere. However, referring to the Successor States can be confusing, since the politics have changed over time. Strictly speaking, I believe that if you want to call them Successor States, Periphery, and Clan, the Successor States should refer only to the big five, the Homeworld Clans should be in the Clan section, and everything else should get lumped into the Periphery. If you’re going to divide it by Inner Sphere, Periphery, and Clans, then the Rasalhague Dominion would be Inner Sphere, the ARDC would be Inner Sphere, but the Raven Alliance would not.

this makes a lot of sense. Part of my problem with ESPECIALLY the FRR was figuring out where to post it on a forum that had sections for Clans, Successor States, and Periphery. I always felt that the FRR was not one of the main Successor States. The ARDC isn't either but at least considers itself a defender of the Lyran part of that Successor State. While the St. Ives Compact actually had some claim to the Capellan Confederation. So it really left my favorite realm out on its own.

The FRR had origins of its own, + Lyran + Kurita + Ghost Bear. WOW!  [rockon]

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2011, 13:54:27 »
this makes a lot of sense. Part of my problem with ESPECIALLY the FRR was figuring out where to post it on a forum that had sections for Clans, Successor States, and Periphery. I always felt that the FRR was not one of the main Successor States. The ARDC isn't either but at least considers itself a defender of the Lyran part of that Successor State. While the St. Ives Compact actually had some claim to the Capellan Confederation. So it really left my favorite realm out on its own.

The FRR had origins of its own, + Lyran + Kurita + Ghost Bear. WOW!  [rockon]

You forgot the Elysian Fields and Santander's World in your list of components of the Rasalhague Dominion. :)
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2011, 14:22:16 »
You forgot the Elysian Fields and Santander's World in your list of components of the Rasalhague Dominion. :)

See? That's yet another detail I didn't know or remember. Thanks Guardsman! :)

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2011, 15:52:08 »
See? That's yet another detail I didn't know or remember. Thanks Guardsman! :)

Always happy to help. You could technically include ComStar in that. They did make Tukayyid their capital for a while, after teh Word of Blake began squatting in their old digs.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2011, 03:03:09 »
Always happy to help. You could technically include ComStar in that. They did make Tukayyid their capital for a while, after teh Word of Blake began squatting in their old digs.

That's actually a big part of my love for the FRR. Comstar was my first love, but it wasn't meant to be. The FRR has what I need. Now I still use base 6 whenever possible though!

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2011, 10:28:55 »
I think that where you post the thread depends upon what period of Rasalhague history you wish to discuss.  The Successor States board is where I would post any questions regarding the Principality of Rasalhague, Rasalhague District of the Draconis Combine, or the Free Rasalhague Republic up to 3090.  After that, all questions regarding the Rasalhague Dominion should be directed to the Clan Chatterweb forum, as the military of the RasDom (and let's face it, all we really talk about is various militaries) is largely Clan.

As an addendum, I believe the term Successor State refers to all the states that succeeded the Terran Alliance in control of the Inner Sphere.  That qualifies the Terran Hegemony, FRR, Prinicpality of Rasalhague, and even the Republic of the Sphere for inclusion under that banner.  If I were referring to the Big Five Houses, I would say 'Great Houses', 'House Lords', or just 'The Big Five'.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Guardsman

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2011, 14:05:42 »
I think that where you post the thread depends upon what period of Rasalhague history you wish to discuss.  The Successor States board is where I would post any questions regarding the Principality of Rasalhague, Rasalhague District of the Draconis Combine, or the Free Rasalhague Republic up to 3090.  After that, all questions regarding the Rasalhague Dominion should be directed to the Clan Chatterweb forum, as the military of the RasDom (and let's face it, all we really talk about is various militaries) is largely Clan.

As an addendum, I believe the term Successor State refers to all the states that succeeded the Terran Alliance in control of the Inner Sphere.  That qualifies the Terran Hegemony, FRR, Prinicpality of Rasalhague, and even the Republic of the Sphere for inclusion under that banner.  If I were referring to the Big Five Houses, I would say 'Great Houses', 'House Lords', or just 'The Big Five'.

I prefer your terms to what those what the Houses call it. The Feds call it the Greater Federated Suns. The Confederation calls it the Capellan Sphere. The Mariks just call it the not so Free Worlds League. The Lyrans call it the unzoned Lyran Commonwealth commerce areas. The Dracs call it the the Greater Draconis Combine Co-Prosperity Sphere.
Dan "Albatross" Schulz
(
1979 - 8 November 2009)
You won't be forgotten,
1st Chesterton Guards