Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 15756 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #180 on: 29 January 2024, 21:25:04 »

Also, what the hell happened to the Kings? They were rolling, right up until they suddenly weren't.

They're finally feeling the effects of unloading an entire line to get an overpriced crybaby who's no better than a 3rd liner on that team...?

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: 29 January 2024, 22:12:33 »
I have no idea what to make of the Canucks- it feels like they shouldn't be THIS good... it also felt like last year shouldn't have been that bad. Somewhere in the middle seems fair, but here we are- was Rick Tocchet that big of a change to get this kind of improvement? (Or, conversely, was Bruce Boudreu that big of a problem? Seems unlikely, but again, here we are). I'll be curious to see how they handle the playoffs, since it appears they're all but a lock at this point.

Somewhat the same for the Oilers, honestly- are they really this good, or are they correcting that god-awful start and they're kind of a B-level team? I'm just not sold on their goaltending or blue line enough to call them a real contender in the West the way I can with Vegas or Colorado.

I submit to you that the Avs, Oilers, and 'Nucks are all essentially one-line teams that have what it takes to get TO the playoffs, but not THROUGH them (please note that this is not the same as saying they'll all make shocking first-round exits).  Vegas, by contrast, is still built for the playoffs, and I fully expect them to get to the finals again. 

And I'd put money on that...if I had any extra...

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #182 on: 30 January 2024, 23:59:54 »
They're finally feeling the effects of unloading an entire line to get an overpriced crybaby who's no better than a 3rd liner on that team...?
While PLD underperforming is definitely an issue so has the rest of that team for the last month and a half.  They are not 'Caps' bad when it comes to offense, but they put a lot more pucks in the net earlier in the season.

Also, what the hell happened to the Kings? They were rolling, right up until they suddenly weren't.

The wheels came off the Cam Talbot reclamation project.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: 02 February 2024, 13:48:18 »
The Kings have decided they had enough losing and fired McLellan.

https://sports.yahoo.com/column-kings-fire-coach-todd-165848203.html

Also Cam Talbot is apparently an All-Star which I didn't realize until I read that article.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #184 on: 02 February 2024, 18:14:52 »
More moves this afternoon.  Sean Monahan to the Jets for a first and a conditional 3rd.  Seems a bit more tame a move when compared to the Canucks/Flames trade but a good solid when for both the Jets now and the Habs later.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #185 on: 02 February 2024, 22:36:20 »
More moves this afternoon.  Sean Monahan to the Jets for a first and a conditional 3rd.  Seems a bit more tame a move when compared to the Canucks/Flames trade but a good solid when for both the Jets now and the Habs later.

Yeah, and the condition to get that 3rd is that the Jets win the Cup. Think THAT'S going to happen?

Farewell Mony, you were good for us while you were here...I wish YOU well, but as for the Jets...just can't bring myself to cheer for them as "Canada's Team" while S**tflea is still there.  WE WILL NOT FORGET 2021!!!  :angry: :angry:

I'd sooner they crater and make the first-rounder as high as possible for the Habs.

cheers,

Gabe

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #186 on: 03 February 2024, 23:46:50 »
I maybe enjoyed this All-Star weekend!! It was basically not horrible, and some good fun all round -- that said ... it's done and the final IMPORTANT stretch can get going!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #187 on: 07 February 2024, 08:23:44 »
It seems the All Star break arrived at the absolute worst time for Edmonton. That's oil she wrote.   :smiley_boxers:
I have spoken.

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #188 on: 11 February 2024, 02:15:17 »
Anyone who doesn't appreciate the recent Marc-AndrĂ© Fleury 100th game night is a rotten human - he just seems like such a happy, lovely person.   :smiley:

And in other NHL news, at the top of the league the Bruins and Canucks have both had some strange games....

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #189 on: 12 February 2024, 08:05:57 »
Dear Morgan Reilly,

What the hell was THAT?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: 13 February 2024, 08:55:25 »
Dear Morgan Reilly,

What the hell was THAT?

Another example of "The Code" at work, apparently.

Cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #191 on: 14 February 2024, 20:15:45 »
He is extremely lucky he only received a 5 game suspension.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #192 on: 16 February 2024, 07:59:10 »
*poking the post-ASG Bruins with a stick*

Do stuff.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #193 on: 16 February 2024, 08:16:07 »
It looks like the Stars did some stuff last night....
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #194 on: 16 February 2024, 13:39:27 »
It looks like the Stars did some stuff last night....

As did the Jackets, though not of the on-ice variety:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets-fire-gm-jarmo-kekalainen-davidson-assumes-interim-role-1.2076366

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #195 on: 17 February 2024, 02:49:53 »
As did the Jackets, though not of the on-ice variety:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets-fire-gm-jarmo-kekalainen-davidson-assumes-interim-role-1.2076366
This was long overdue.  Now I just need the Caps to follow through and fire GMBM.  That is not likely to happen until the off season though.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #196 on: 20 February 2024, 07:42:05 »
The last time I checked in on the Canucks/Wild last night, it was 5-2 Vancouver.

What. The. Hell.

+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: 20 February 2024, 21:56:52 »
The last time I checked in on the Canucks/Wild last night, it was 5-2 Vancouver.

What. The. Hell.

Taking three consecutive penalties in the space of less than three minutes is asking for bad things to happen.
That was what led the Wild back into the game.

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 20 February 2024, 21:59:34 by gyedid »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #198 on: 23 February 2024, 15:13:12 »
Hi all,

Not directly related to the actual sport, but yesterday while listening to the play by play of the Habs vs. Pens, I heard something I've never heard before on a Habs radio broadcast:  a female play-by-play announcer.  It was Kenzie Lalonde, TSN's (nominal) beat reporter for the Habs.  She is quite competent on PBP; I've heard her call women's games before (like the Canada/U.S. Rivalry Series) but this is the first time I've heard her (or any woman, for that matter) call an NHL regular season men's game, even on radio.

What about you guys? Have any of you ever heard a woman call PBP on your local NHL broadcasts (radio, TV, or otherwise)?

Cheers,

Gabe

StoryReader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #199 on: 27 February 2024, 01:34:27 »
I feel like once on CBC or SportsNet, years ago, I saw Cassie Campbell-Pascall do play-by-play, but that was as she was there and the scheduled play-by-play person (man) was suddenly sick, so she filled in.  She was already an experienced commentator/broadcaster (beyond being a star of the game) at that stage and did a good job.  I couldn't tell you when/where/teams (so maybe my brain made it all up?  :undecided: )

In other fun off-ice news, I wonder how many Gretzky rookie cards could be found in this bundle?!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/rare-sask-gretzky-hockey-cards-sold-for-millions-1.7125262

(....and god knows the game has had enough "not-fun" off ice news recently, so again we can be amazed at the Great One!)

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #200 on: 27 February 2024, 08:01:31 »
This has certainly been a February to forget if you're a Boston fan...

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #201 on: 27 February 2024, 23:31:55 »
It was awesome to see Kaner being welcomed back to Chicago so warmly the other night.   I say this remembering how mercilessly Chelios was booed back when he made his return to Chicago.  Pretty amazing how winning a few Cups can suck the toxins right out of a fanbase.  At least for a time.

In other news...

« Last Edit: 27 February 2024, 23:48:03 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #202 on: 01 March 2024, 18:30:27 »
It was awesome to see Kaner being welcomed back to Chicago so warmly the other night.   I say this remembering how mercilessly Chelios was booed back when he made his return to Chicago.
To be fair the context of then vs. now the Blackhawks and Red Wings were divisional rivals.  I honestly didn't remember the circumstances very well I thought he signed with Red Wings in the off season, but it said he was traded to the Wings.

Meanwhile Maricopa and Pima Co. keep giving Bettman and NHL the middle finger.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #203 on: 04 March 2024, 20:35:41 »
Lindy Ruff has been relieved of his duties in NJ.  In related news, NJ still needs a goalie.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #204 on: 05 March 2024, 13:48:43 »
Did the Jackets really walk in and kick the Knights in the teeth like that? Wow.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #205 on: 05 March 2024, 18:20:38 »
Did the Jackets really walk in and kick the Knights in the teeth like that? Wow.
Yep. Vegas isn't play well these days and if they hadn't banked up points one might think they would miss the playoffs.  Which is still possible, but the teams outside the playoff bubble looking at catching up to the WC spots are 5 points or more behind.

Columbus more often than not isn't going to going to blow out another team, but they have the talent to do it and did just that to Vegas.

*Update- Anthony Mantha traded to Vegas for a 2nd and 4th round pick over the few drafts.  We will get to grade this one in a few years.  For now though a decent return on and temporarily closes the book on one of those hockey trades that haven't completely worked out for their respective teams.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2024, 20:24:27 by Firesprocket »

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #206 on: 05 March 2024, 22:46:21 »

The same Jackets that just lost 5-3 to the Pens?  Yep.  Even the best teams can show up unprepared or take their opponents too lightly.

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #207 on: 05 March 2024, 22:57:16 »
Habs end the Preds' win streak at eight, thanks to an incredibly fluky goal by David Savard and a disallowed Preds goal that let them get to OT.

https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/canadiens-ben-voyons-dont-quel-but-chanceux-de-david-savard-lnh-3.1440570

Also, it would appear that Nick Suzuki and Cole Caufield have switched roles.

cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #208 on: 06 March 2024, 18:02:39 »
Busy afternoon on the trade front:

Tarasenko to FL

Walker and Mittelstadt to the AVs. Mittelstadt is an RFA after this season which is intriguing.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #209 on: 07 March 2024, 22:29:26 »
Meanwhile Maricopa and Pima Co. keep giving Bettman and NHL the middle finger.

I hope they somehow, someway, end up back in Canada.  Just to make the circle complete, and to give the crowd in Quebec City another chance.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert