Author Topic: Making a Hexboard (or die trying!) +Terrain!  (Read 9160 times)

Attackmack

• Corporal
Making a Hexboard (or die trying!) +Terrain!
« on: 28 September 2013, 14:33:53 »
So I had planned on getting started around next weekend but the opportunity came to get the materials yesterday so today, when the worst hangover had passed, i got to it =)

I dont know how to embed images into the posts on this forum so they are attached below.
I have finished the 4 bases for the board, all according to Mr Ableman33s excellent design.
On two of them (so far) ive also glued a sheet of 30mm "styrofoam", I will do the same on the other two, i ran out of glue and now the stores are all closed!

Theres also an image where i tested making hexlines in the "styro" with a soldering iron. Its just a test but I think it will look nice in the end! Will have to be careful not to dip the soldering iron to far tho since that makes the lines too wide.

Also, the "styrofoam" I could get isnt actually styrofoam, but a different kind of isolation plastic. I dont know its name in english but its composed of tightly packed small pebbles which makes it hard to cut, sand or in any way reform since these pebbels come loose and goes everywhere.
A hotwire tool of some sort is absolutey essential for this. I will be able to finish the base hex board without it tho, but for future terrain making ill have to get my hands on a hotwire cutter.

Anyways, the project is started at least, and hopefully ill finish it! But all to common for me to begin something and then let it fade into oblivion. Time will tell but im its a start at least =)
« Last Edit: 01 October 2013, 17:39:55 by Attackmack »

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
Re: Making a Hexboard (or die trying!)
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2013, 19:45:47 »
It looks like you're off to a great start.  I like the idea of building on uniform platforms.  Have you considered using a pencil to outline where to cut the hex lines? 

Just a question.  I'm very interested to see how this project turns out.

Happy hunting!
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2013, 02:42:49 »
Yeah I draw the hexgrid with a pencil before burning it in
Gonna take some time tho, I dont have a template for the hexgrids!

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2013, 09:53:24 »
So ive spent most of the day trying to draw the hexgrid onto the board.
In theory its rather simple, make some measurements, draw some lines and everything should add up, right?
Well i had a go several times, trial and error, and had issues where the hedgrid became warped and distorted due to bad measurements =(

Finally I found a way of doing it that nullifed much of the potential errors and got it completed.
Now, its not perfect, some hexes are a bit out of shape and some size varieties. But overall I think it looks okay and since the solderlines that will mark the hexgrid when finished wont be perfectly straight (intentionally) I think the deviations will be even less noticable when the board is finished.
Damn, my back hurts after hours leaning over the board tho =)

I will try and get this first board mostely finished, somewhat of a trial board, so I can get a glimpse of the end result and if there is any need to change my approach.

There will be an issue aligning more then two of these together for a bigger board without having some oddly shaped hexes between the two, but the measurements originate from one long and one short side so I will at least be able to align two of these with little to no "weirdness".
And as of now, I cant imagine getting a game together that required a bigger board so this will have to do for now.
Dont know if ill get some soldering done tonight or later this week but ill keep this thread updated!

Tip:
Great music to play while working on this is the Terran Soundtrack from Starcraft2! Give u that sic-fi meets cowboys feel which I absolutely love!

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2013, 13:09:52 »
Cool!  I think having a layout like that will make it easier to line up consecutive boards.  Minor imperfections will give you places to put terrain 'easter-eggs' and eye candy without interfering with mech placement.

This is coming along so well.  I am definitely looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

JB

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2013, 14:15:08 »
I couldnt keep away from burning/soldering the grid into the board =)

The lines turned a bit wider then I had wished for, and some hexes went really out of shape but i solved that by burning them into shape. This will give some hexes a bit wider lines and less area but thats okay with me.
Another thing I keep telling myself is that asymmetry is fine as long as the hexpattern is clear and there never is any question which side a mech is facing etc.

Next step is putting some drywall filler on the sides to even out deviations, and then sanding the edges to get everything smooth.

I havent decided exactly how to texture/paint the board yet, ill have to read up on some technuiqes first.
Im likely not to be painting anything until next weekend tho, earliest, so this week will probably be lacking updates.

Pick is with flash for some effect =)

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2013, 06:08:47 »
Looks like the lines turned out really nicely!  You'll definitely want to seal that board really well, but it looks good so far.

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2013, 07:24:35 »
Looks like the lines turned out really nicely!  You'll definitely want to seal that board really well, but it looks good so far.

Yeah im gonna need to find a good quality sealer that turns hard  since the foam im using is a bit too soft by itself. But after painting, possible flocking and sealer it should be hard enough!

Speaking of paint, i had time to do just a very quick trial. I only have a limited number of paints right now so this is not the colours i will be using for the final but only to see how drybrushing would turn out on this material.
And in a stroke of luck, i realise how glad I am to be using this kind of foam since it automatically gives a stonelike texture to the surface!
On the bottom hex you can also see how I made some test to recreate the broken surface texture of my inspiration picture, quickly made by just drawing lines with a razorknife and then adding a black varnish to it.

Personally im very pleased with the result, and im expecting the real board to turn out much better as I put some effort into it later on!
Now I just need to find out what colors I need for a good looking board =) And Im still debating if Im to add flocking to small parts of the board/random edges/hexes. But with the texture this board gets by itself I might rule it out altogether tho.

Im also adding another picture! I know that ordinary spraypaints eats away at foammaterials but I didnt know how much so I wanted to find out! Turns out it would totally ruin the board so basecoating will be done by hand =)
Good to know though, I can see some use for it on later terrain pieces!

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2013, 08:42:25 »
Nice and good luck! O0

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2013, 11:54:21 »
You know, that painted / dissolved terrain would make for some incredible 'rough' ground. You would only need to find a way to delineate hexes, but the way it randomly sculpts the ground would be nigh impossible to hand-make.

JB

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2013, 13:46:50 »
You know, that painted / dissolved terrain would make for some incredible 'rough' ground. You would only need to find a way to delineate hexes, but the way it randomly sculpts the ground would be nigh impossible to hand-make.

JB

Thats a good idea, I might try that on a piece later on. Maybe if first painting the hexes with a clear coat or a thick color, something the spray wont penetrate, it should make the hexes untouched but the surrounding terrain "melted". If that does work, ill facepalm myself hard enough for everyone to hear :)

On another note, i found an old car battery charger i build some years ago. Its still functional but I got a newer charger so this will instead make a fine foamcutter!

Ive ripped out the excess electronics and hooked everything up to a dimmer and a thin guitar wire and it works great! I can even reuse the box for it and fit the dimmer to it.
Sadly though, the only dimmer I had laying around is a transistor dimmer so it doesnt work well to control an iron core transformer, i actually think i mightve broken it already :)
Ill check around work tomorrow, see if I find a suitable dimmer and then I need to make a decent table.

Pics to come when i got it finished.

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: 01 October 2013, 09:55:18 »
Replaced the dimmer with the correct model and now it works great!

Got hold of the handle for an old/broken radio and it makes a perfect handle for fine cutting by hand.
I placed quickconnectors on the wires from the transformer so later it will be quick and easy to change between tools used, when ive build a cutting board for bigger pieces =)

Im currently putting the filler on the sides of the board which will be followed by sanding and possibly more filler so not much to show from the board right now.

Attackmack

• Corporal
Re: Making a Hexboard (or die trying!) +Terrain!
« Reply #12 on: 01 October 2013, 17:51:13 »
One issue with me is that whenever I get an idea, something I wanna do, I wanna do it immediately and I can become very creative to do so.
It also tends to make me more or less addicted to whatever it is I have taken upon myself at that moment.

Right now its no doubt Battletech, or more specific the hexboard and its terrain.
So as I had gotten the foamcutter working, and had alot of spare foam to cut with it, I couldnt stop myself from experimenting with making terrain.

So I made this piece tonight. Im very happy with it to be honest, turned out much better then i could have imagined.
I wanted it to give the impression that the ground had been pushed upwards, possibly due to violent convulsions in the ground as the planet is stressed by the increasing gravitational turbulense casused by the dying star it orbits.
At the same time I wanted that ground to appear melted, almost like solidified lava streams, but more shallow.
I tried to make it seem like theres small veins of glass or some form of crystalified rock.
Also, I have yet not figured out how to paint the hexboard so the hexes on the terrain piece is currenly only black, since they will be the same as the board.

Personally, I dont think i managed to capture any of the things I mentioned above, it looks more like something HR Geiger would cook up.
BUT, i think it looks really good, will still fit onto the hex board, and it only took a couple of hours to make from start to finish including drying times for the paint. =)

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 01 October 2013, 18:05:25 »
It's well done.  I'm impressed.  Keep at it!

JB

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2013, 04:54:16 »
Show me more! :)

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 02 October 2013, 05:08:22 »
Thats a good idea, I might try that on a piece later on. Maybe if first painting the hexes with a clear coat or a thick color, something the spray wont penetrate, it should make the hexes untouched but the surrounding terrain "melted". If that does work, ill facepalm myself hard enough for everyone to hear :)

Use a PVC glue (Elmer's Glue in US?) to delineate hex borders only, wait for it to dry, than spray.

Once melting is done, You can tear away the hex grid or leave it to be even more elevated, but then You need to cover it with some kind of vegetation/rocks.

As for music, try "Homeworld" Soundtrack for more peaceful parts ;)

Apologies for doubleposting.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2013, 06:08:07 by Kret69 »

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: 02 October 2013, 06:30:32 »
Ive finished the terrainpiece, and made the hex surface more of a desert look then my original plans.
Some reasons for this is that the tan/lightbrown color is a really nice contrast to the overall dark look of everything else. Its also very easy to do, and required only a few steps and a small number of colors.
Now, i wont want a pure desert map since forests/trees would seem out of place, so im still thinking about this more of a scorched landscape style, but this deciding on this rather simple style will keep me going and my work on the board itself wont stall.

I might add some small details like flocking here and there, stones, rubble and burnt grass and bushes but that is to come later, the board first!

I need to sand and fill a little bit more to rid the sides of the worst oddities, then itll be ready for base coating. I need to buy some more colors and brushes aswell. And aside from that ill be continuing work on some more terrain.
« Last Edit: 02 October 2013, 06:34:30 by Attackmack »

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #17 on: 02 October 2013, 06:31:27 »
Two more pictures, one with the mandatory posing mechs =)

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 02 October 2013, 06:51:57 »
I like it.

Leave it blackish, preferably even slightly glossy here and there - will give the feeling of pushed up obsidian-like rock formations and will still allow to make an area around forest- or even jungle-like.

What about areas with more vegetation? Flocking? With machine or manually?

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 02 October 2013, 07:47:34 »
I like it.

Leave it blackish, preferably even slightly glossy here and there - will give the feeling of pushed up obsidian-like rock formations and will still allow to make an area around forest- or even jungle-like.

What about areas with more vegetation? Flocking? With machine or manually?

Dont you think the board will be to dark and somewhat boring if i make the hexes and everything black/dark?
Im a bit unsure but all advice and tips are warmly welcome.
Im home from work today, sick, but even though the headache is killing me im trying some ideas on tree making =)

When it comes to vegetation i will make it look dying and withered and some will be burned.
Trees will mostely be only charcoaled branches, as will bushes with the occational groving veggi darkbrown or the like.
Im planning to make heavy woods feature the standard 2level high trees and light woods to feature shorter, around lvl1 trees.
This way I can still cramp as many trees as possible in wooded hexes, and the sight of a mech rising above the treeline is just so awesome!

Ive thought about flocking, areas or at least terrainpieces featuring more living scenery. I havent read up on this yet though but im guessing theres a tonne of tutorials on every possible design =)

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 02 October 2013, 08:20:36 »
Of course it definitely needs breaking up with something more vivid, green vegetation would be the best.

Maybe try some on some lvl1s elements at first?

A small spring of water would also break the pattern.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 02 October 2013, 11:15:05 »
I agree.  Vegetation or loose gravel along the hex edges will develop the look while not interfering with where mechs stand.

It's coming along great!
JB

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 02 October 2013, 11:32:12 »
Of course it definitely needs breaking up with something more vivid, green vegetation would be the best.

Maybe try some on some lvl1s elements at first?

A small spring of water would also break the pattern.

Yeah man, im planning on doing lots of terrain later on, though I'm gonna be sparse with open water since the planet is undergoing such violent breaking down, but I was planning on doing a ravine.
And you just gave me an idea, the ravine might have cracked open where a river used to run!

I do like the idea of the upper surface being burnt to ash and charcoal, and as you said the hills are outbreaks of molten rock and lava quickly pushed to the open and then quickly cooled to an obsidian-like glass.
BUT, the contrast of the lighter desertish hexes against the dark grey is really appealing to me.

Im in a bind here, dunno what to do =/

Ive carved out some more terrain pieces, just ordinary hills as the one ive already shown, but both these and the board itself is now in need of black primer so any future work on them must wait until some other day.

So in the meantime ive made some tried creating trees. Ive read several tutorials and guides and thought of an idea that will be extremely cheap and, it turns out, doesnt look too shabby even when done quickly.

Basically, I take a bit of electric wire, the one used inside pipes in walls and such, and if removing the insulation of one individual wire, it consists of 7 very thin individual copperthreads. Then I twist these in a treelike formation, as described in basically every tutorial i can find on trees =)
As foilage ive used small pieces from a sponge.

I think if i put at least a little more effort into it they could look better.
Ill probably be prefrabricating a bunch of these, and even if it turns out I wont use them at all its no harm done.

Tips and ideas are very welcome, you guys are great.
But main question now, hexes....tan or black =/

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 02 October 2013, 14:59:06 »
With trees . . . wouldn't tan go more with the vegetation?  I think of black rock more like Mordor - bleak and devoid of anything living.  IMO

Any thoughts of how to show light vs. heavy woods?

JB

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2013, 17:48:39 »
Heres the finished terrainpiece, ive added trees, a bit of vegetation and some loose rubble.
I know there is much that could be done differently and better, and there are details I choose to not put alot of time into because if I start putting in too much effort and too much attention to details I will run the risk of never finishing the board.
So I choose to take a few shortcuts to keep the project moving on.

Anyways, heres the piece with two wood hexes, both light.

On how im planning to differ light and heavy:
is simply shorter more thin trees on light hexes, and taller, thicker trees on heavy.
Maybe put only pinetrees on heavy and other trees on light, in which case ive misplaced one pinetree on this piece, but thats okay.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2013, 20:36:31 »
oooooh, that is nice.  I love how it looks.  I like the idea of Lt vs. Hv woods.  I think the more difference you can make the easier it will be for visitors to operate on your board with terrain confidence.

Bravo!
JB

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 03 October 2013, 03:23:46 »
You could also put more trees on the sides of hexes denoting heavy woods, and only some in angles of the light ones.

I myself am also thinking about making a terrain hexes with thick woods that could be replaced with Mech if needed, like buildings.

The colours and the general idea are great. I think pine trees should be use with caution - these half dead trees look more in place. And realistic.

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 03 October 2013, 05:44:59 »
You could also put more trees on the sides of hexes denoting heavy woods, and only some in angles of the light ones.

I myself am also thinking about making a terrain hexes with thick woods that could be replaced with Mech if needed, like buildings.

The colours and the general idea are great. I think pine trees should be use with caution - these half dead trees look more in place. And realistic.

yeah your right about the pine trees not fitting in with the theme but their pros is that they can be made large without taking up so much space.
If i make these half dead ashlike trees as big i need to make them distinct from the rest, they take up so much room its hard to place the mech there =) They look fantastic when bigger though!

Another option would be using basically the same style trees but different in colour.
These light ones are now a green/greyish color, but im thinking the lights, being the smaller younger trees, could maybe me a more vivid green, being "more alive" and the "heavy" be more greyish instead.

Or just use pinetrees...

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 03 October 2013, 05:58:35 »
That's a good idea.

Pine trees can also be painted to look dying.  I remember some trees "dying" (loosing leafs) immediately after they came in contact with ammonia cloud.

Maybe something in that direction? Leave pine trees since they fit Your workflow and idea, but paint them (randomy) in different shades of rotten green (olive), brown, even up to orange as here:

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: 03 October 2013, 06:49:04 »
Thats fantastic!
And the ammonia cloud is great stuff! I mean, since the planet this board is to represent is undergoing major catastrophic climatic events its not unfitting that great deals of gasses and elements being releases.

Something I forgot all along is that the actual basehex could also be used to represent light or heavy.
If light woods use the same hex surface as the normal terrain, and the heavy woods is covered with green/brown flocking and vegetation then theres never a question what kind of cover it is!
Together with the pinetrees it will be clear as day when overlooking the board.

Thanks for some great advice you guys, it feels like the concept is coming together nicely!
And ive figured out most of the things needed to complete the board so now its just a matter of getting everything needed (colours and such) and investing the time needed.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #30 on: 03 October 2013, 07:38:46 »
And the ammonia cloud is great stuff!

Not really, not if You actually see it. It's the kind of experience that leaves You... speechless.
Good luck with the build :)
« Last Edit: 03 October 2013, 10:04:10 by Kret69 »

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 03 October 2013, 10:25:54 »
Not really, not if You actually see it. It's the kind of experience that leaves You... speechless.
Good luck with the build :)

Hehe yeah of course, in real life its not so good

Heres what will probably be the last update for a while since I ran out of paint. Its just the progress of the next piece of terrain aswell as a closeup of some trees not yet finished.
Tomorrow after work im running down to the local Games Workshop store to pick up some paint and some new brushes. Also gonna check out their flocks and whatever else of interest i might find there!
Ive also ordered a can of styrofoam primer aswell as a fresh can of black spray paint which will arrive early next week. It will greatly reduce the time of basecoating both the terrain and soon enough the actual board itself.

This weekend ill be away for most part so I wont find much time for the modelling. Might be good with a break aswell, have been putting alot of time to this these last few days.

Anyway guys, cheers and have a good weekend!

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 03 October 2013, 14:40:16 »
I'm very enthused.  I remember making my diorama and the challenges of making the terrain.  It was tough to slog through all those bits and pieces, but the end result is completely worth it.

I think you'll be stoked when you finally have a completed board with the quality you're putting into it.

JB

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #33 on: 04 October 2013, 09:40:15 »
Ok, one final update before weekend.
Got some new colors and pencils and found some nice foliage looking like tuffs of grass that looks great on the wood hexes.
Ive also tried doing the wood hexes green and while it might take away a bit of the realism, it does give the hex a more distinctive look and makes it more accessible for players to overview the field.
And being a boardgame afterall, I actually prefer game mechanics to be clear and obvious.

So NOW, finally, this piece is finished and put on a shelf until I find a good was of applying protective coating.

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 08 October 2013, 12:54:43 »
Ok, so ive gotten some work done now and ill start with showing the next terrainpiece.
The images arent very good but they show the overall look of it at least. It does look better in real life though!

Im gonna make 2-3 more pieces of hills/forests, then make some more plain forests pieces aswell as some "rough" terrain.
After that, I might go on with the ravine piece(s).

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 08 October 2013, 13:01:59 »
And yesterday I got the styrofoam primer and have gone about painting the board.
On the pics the board is newly inked and still drying so its not finished. Its awaiting some drybrushing and possibly more inking before its done.
I wont be flocking or adding details to the board itself though, I leave that for the terrain.

Also, you can see some areas of the board somewhat distorted. Sadly, I was somewhat careful when applying the primer and these areas seem to have had a too thin layer and the spray paint then chewed through the primer and into the board. Its not as visible in the pics as in reallife, but the good thing is that its not very much and doesnt ruin the overall look or playability of the board!
But for future pieces, ill be more generous with the primer!

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 08 October 2013, 14:54:52 »
Oh, that's nice work.  Your board is going to look great when finished.

Bravo!
JB

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 13 October 2013, 14:00:49 »
Had alot to do past week and caught a really bad cold that hasnt left yet so I havent gotten as much as id hope done this week but some more terrain is underway at least. These hills/trees will be enough to begin with, they arent done yet as they have no trees and details on the wooden hexes but ill get that done the coming week.

Ill need to start working on the second board segment aswell as making some flat level terrain such as woods, rough and maybe a bunker/outpost or two. Not to forget the ravine i mentioned earlier.
Im also thinking about making some big pieces or single level terrain, plain flat, only to make it possible to build a board that raises/lowers from side to side for some assymetrical playingfields.

I did however get to play a game solo the other day just to get some grip on the rules!
The first round had two funny things happening:
In the first round the Atlas got struck for 20+ damage due to amazing rolls by the opposing LRMs. The mech fell and knocked the pilot unconscious! Thats not a good start!

And then, in the second round, the other teams Catapult caught a AC5 that got through to the engine and ripped the shielding forcing the additional 5 heat per turn! Better then the atlas but still not a good start =)

These kind of things just makes me so eager to get into some real games with friends! I love these unrelenting factors that makes you feel unsafe about every single move to the point where you ask yourself everytime "Is that worth it?".
You dont pop out and take a shot without risking a world of hurt!

If theres any GW people in here, you might have played their old game Necromunda. That was a completely amazing game where everything was so unpredictable, yet not too unfair or randomized. It simply made you think twice about your actions, especially when you had some characters that had been with you for a couple of games as they started being important to you =)

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 13 October 2013, 14:49:02 »
That's a great looking board.  It has a very consistent look.

Bravo!
JB

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 13 October 2013, 17:56:55 »
I like the look of it.

Would definitely like to play on such board.

Oh, and if this is a dying world - think about an abandoned city in ruins too, perhaps? ;)

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #40 on: 14 October 2013, 03:53:48 »
That's a great looking board.  It has a very consistent look.

Bravo!
JB

Thanks!
One of my goals is to keep it looking like a gameboard. While I adore the high quality and realistic look of many boards others have made, I actually want this to look like its a game, but with detailed terrain and clear visual impressions. A bit like computer rts style terrain.

Kret, buildings is on my to-do list, in fact i want enough to make it possible to fight within a city.
And of course, it will be scarred by war and disaster :)

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 18 October 2013, 16:17:07 »
Okay so all current pieces are now finished and tomorrow im having a gameday with a friend, well start off with a game of BT, the first real game for both of us!
So wish me luck! Not that I care about winning, but I hope my friend enjoy the game as I know I will so ill have at least one consistent opponent for the future!
Unless you already figured out, Battletech is little known where I live and I dont think I know one anyone here that plays or have played it =/

Anyway, heres some pics of the board! Have a good weekend y'all!

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 18 October 2013, 18:14:38 »
Fabulous!  Great boards for battle!  I hope you both enjoy playing.  I remember my first games.  MY friend and I each used the same mechs, pilots, etc. to keep it equal.  Skill against skill.  I learned a lot about maneuvering and strategy doing that.

Have fun!
JB

jrvk777

• Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: 19 October 2013, 00:33:00 »
Very nice terrain!  O0

Hope you enjoy the game with your friend.

Looking forward to more projects like this in the future!

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 19 October 2013, 19:01:56 »
First game done =)
Lots of fiddling through the pages of the rules, lots of missed +1's and a few mistaken rules that lead to an untimely ammo explosion, but nothing that had much impact on the outcome and bottom line is we had a blast playing and learning =)

We pitted 200 tons each against each other, half of mine went into the Atlas which was an issue for me since I had trouble getting it to the action. I got a few rounds of with the AC and some salvos with the LRM, but all in all the Atlas didnt produce as much as id hoped for, mainly because my opponents fairly highspeed force managed to stay out of its crosshair most of the time.
Strangely enough, my most effective piece was the small Spider with its two M lasers. It already proved its worth a few rounds in when, from high ground, it managed to kick the opposing hunchback in the head, injuring the pilot and tipping the mech over!

I lost the game when only my Atlas, still struggling to get into the battle, was my last active mech.
But I had a great time and we both learned a lot.
What struck me the most is how unforgiving and utterly important movement is in BT, much more so then I could ever have imagined.
Several times we moved into a position for what we thought would be a devestating attack proved to be next to useless when the modifiers for movement and cover was added up.
And as we went on, we learned, and as my friend described it it felt almost like playing a form of chess. Positioning your "pieces" was more important then actually firing their weapons since we began to do whatever we could to stay out of fire unless it would be with enough modifiers to make the shots really hard!
Since we only played until one side had lost 3 of its 4 mechs, this could potentially lead to a boring game, but I cant wait til we start putting objectives into the game!

Another thing, which I HAD anticipated to be very important, was initiative. Winning initiative became one of the biggest cheers of the evening!

Im throwing in another image also.
After weve finished BT, we played a round of Warhammer 40k "Kill Team".
My Necrons was brutally mangled under the boots of the Space Wolves, and everything seemed lost. But a stroke of luck, and the fact that a choice to split my troops up early in the game which had initially seemed stupid later proved to be of great importance, the game started turning to my favor.

It all finally came down to a showdown between a handful of warriors, and a few dice rolls...
And when I needed it the most, the Dice fell my way, and I simply HAD to take a photo of it. The pic is a roll "to hit? on 5+ and I cross my heart, that is how the dice fell. I almost yelled "YATHZEE".

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #45 on: 20 October 2013, 17:47:40 »
Just another pic, the second board is on the way aswell as some more terrain!

Also another random pic!
When im not burning styrofoam with the soldering iron, im slowly raising (clever eh) an army of undead for the GW game Warmaster. Every now and then i order a bunch of minis and paint and base them. This is whats done so far, but I got a bunch of minis coming probably this week.

Attackmack

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 23 October 2013, 15:03:31 »
Been experimenting with some terrainpieces, and have thrown most of them away as they turned out really bad =)

Below is what was originally intended to be a ravine, now a lava flow. It looks pretty good, and gives a tad of colour to the board, but I dont think it fits the setting too good. Im reconsidering water, to be honest, and it DOES give a bit more tactical depth to the maps.

Ive also tried making some craters, fairly simple process, and might possible be used as markers if not terrain. When I start collecting some premium minis, i might convert some of the introbox ones to markers to show blown up mechs but I cant do that just now!

Overall i realize ive kindof stalled. I think the board needs more natural terrain as hills, forests and such, yet im kind of fixed at starting with buildings and outposts. I know I should finish the pieces that are roughly the same, but at the same time I might need some variety.

I also have a question about buildings.
If I understand correctly, mechs are able to stand ontop of most buildings in BT, and if nothing else at least infantry can enter these hexes.
But how do I make 3d building hexes that can still host the models? I dont wanna make all the buildings hexagonal =)

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #47 on: 23 October 2013, 15:12:47 »
The ravine is great, with lava too. If You don't like it, try make it ravine with some very small amount of water inside. But it looks really great.

Buildings does not have to occupy entire hexes. They can occupy one hex or more. My HPG for instance:

And an adobe hut:

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 23 October 2013, 15:34:14 »
If I understand correctly, mechs are able to stand ontop of most buildings in BT, and if nothing else at least infantry can enter these hexes.
But how do I make 3d building hexes that can still host the models? I dont wanna make all the buildings hexagonal =)

I have made buildings that span two hexes.  It can hold to a Heroscape tile like this:

In the end, this one spans three hexes:

A mech can stand on the roof if necessary, but the building does not need to have a six-sided shape.

I hope this helps,
JB

Register