Author Topic: Kuritan-flavored combined arms  (Read 14249 times)

Gracus

• Warrant Officer
Re: Kuritan-flavored combined arms
« Reply #60 on: 19 August 2011, 14:25:13 »
Comparing US Navy torpedoes to IJN torpedoes is like comparing 3025 tech to Clan tech. Japanese torpedoes (particularly their mainstay, the Long Lance) were superior in every way to US Navy torpedoes.

It wasn't enough to be decisive because American industry and air power trumped the torpedo advantage.

And US tech improved and the IJN used it's subs ineffectually and the US adjusted tactics and strategy to address it's deficits. 
Your stupid little opinion has been duly noted.

No. Shut up. And... *kicks you in the crotch*
Better?  Wink
- Herb

“Did you hear that?”
—Leonus Gracus, Mayor of Tripolus, 100km outside Nova Roma, 6 June 3071

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: 20 August 2011, 05:29:57 »
Why does the MUL have only one Void (Caltrop) in the database?
I'm pretty certain that the DC has access to at least two other variants (Support PPC and Small Laser).
Possibly the Nova Cat variant as well.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #62 on: 20 August 2011, 05:41:45 »
Why does the MUL have only one Void (Caltrop) in the database?
I'm pretty certain that the DC has access to at least two other variants (Support PPC and Small Laser).
Possibly the Nova Cat variant as well.

Because there are no battle armor record sheets in RS3075Unabridged.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #63 on: 20 August 2011, 12:37:39 »
And US tech improved and the IJN used it's subs ineffectually and the US adjusted tactics and strategy to address it's deficits.

Yes, much like the Inner Sphere did.

Still, it's generally a mistake for someone piloting a SphereTech machine to go one on one with a similarly skilled pilot in a Clantech machine, just like it was for the US Navy to ignore effective tactics and to try to duel the Japanese Navy with torpedoes.
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #64 on: 20 August 2011, 13:45:14 »
Kindly don't derail my thread with this.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
« Reply #65 on: 20 August 2011, 13:47:05 »
So have you decided on a force?
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #66 on: 20 August 2011, 13:55:55 »
So have you decided on a force?

I'm holding off on the vehicle side of things (I definitely want Hiryo-borne Kanazuchis, though), but I've been thinking a lot about the 'mech side of things.

One company I'm considering is:

PNT-12K2 Panther
WGT-1LAW/SC Wight
JR7-C2 Jenner
JR7-C3 Jenner

Pursuit Lance:
Mad Cat III
WVR-9K Wolverine
DGR-7K Grand Dragon
WFT-2B Wolf Trap

Assault Lance
CGR-KMZ Charger
HTM-27U Hatamoto-Hi
Sunder E(?)
WHM-8K Warhammer

However, I feel the Panther is too slow for the recon lance. I've been trying to decide what to swap it out for. Likewise I worry the Wolverine brings the speed of the Pursuit Lance down too much.

Warpimp

• Warrant Officer
    • "Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
« Reply #67 on: 20 August 2011, 14:10:05 »
I think the panther is fine as fire support for the recon lance. The wolverine's JJ make it a bit more mobile so it should be able to keep up.
"Down, Out, and Dispossessed in the Third Succession War" my BattleTech Fan Fiction
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,38140.0.html

"Against the Clans" Against the Bot ruleset for Clan campaigns project thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,39685.0.html

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #68 on: 20 August 2011, 15:54:22 »
I'd swap the Wolverine for a Ninja-to NJT-2 (if that's the one with twin PPCs). Likewise, I'd swap the Hatamoto for a Naginata, that way you can get some use out of some of those C3 links (or if you want to get really clever, bring a BLR-CM BattleMaster and you can link in all your C3 units). Finally, I'd swap the Panther for another Wight. Or maybe an adorable little -7B Kabuto (DOMPA DOMPA DOMPA).

To back that up, I'd bring a couple of Schiltrons backed by a couple of gauss Demolishers, a pair of those new HPPC Manticores and a couple of Tokugawas, and then some combo of Peggys, Yashas and Hiryos for more mobile firepower. Suit-wise, the Kanazuchi is great, although I'd probably leaven them with some Voids.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Onisuzume

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 20 August 2011, 16:46:09 »
Because there are no battle armor record sheets in RS3075Unabridged.
>_>
Right.

Glory to the Combine Snow Lily Empire!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #70 on: 20 August 2011, 18:09:00 »
Catalyst is getting behind with unabridging the Unabridged record sheets. :P
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: 20 August 2011, 23:08:16 »
Recon Lance:
KBO-7B Kabuto
WGT-1LAW/SC Wight
JR7-C2 Jenner
JR7-C3 Jenner

Pursuit Lance:
Mad Cat III
TDR-60-RLA Thunderbolt
DGR-7K Grand Dragon
WFT-2B Wolf Trap

Assault Lance
CGR-KMZ Charger
HTM-27U Hatamoto-Hi
Sunder E(?)
WHM-8K Warhammer

I'm only going to go C3 for one company, and this isn't it, because it's always a pain to calculate. I figured the Gorilla Thud was a good addition to the pursuit lance, providing a lot of close-up punch and keeping the speed at 6/9 for the lance. Of course, that leaves the recon Wight as the slowest unit in its lance, but I figure it can hold back and blow holes in anything that's threatening its little buddies.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #72 on: 20 August 2011, 23:31:04 »
Say you're building a Kuritan combined arms force, maybe a battalion strong. What non-mech units do you feel are particularly effective, or particularly flavorful? Alternately, I will accept units you have a sentimental fondness for, provided you explain why. Go! 
All Scarborough (sp) Hovercraft...........  Scimitar, Saladin, Saracen, Pegasus, & Maxim !!

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #73 on: 20 August 2011, 23:49:46 »
I'm only going to go C3 for one company, and this isn't it, because it's always a pain to calculate. I figured the Gorilla Thud was a good addition to the pursuit lance, providing a lot of close-up punch and keeping the speed at 6/9 for the lance. Of course, that leaves the recon Wight as the slowest unit in its lance, but I figure it can hold back and blow holes in anything that's threatening its little buddies.

It just occurred to me: have you considered using a Morrigan 2 in place of the Wight (or the JR7-C3)? I mean, as long as you're already using the Mad Cat III, you might as well go all nine Clantech yards (which are half again as long as Inner Sphere yards).

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #74 on: 20 August 2011, 23:54:40 »
It just occurred to me: have you considered using a Morrigan 2 in place of the Wight (or the JR7-C3)? I mean, as long as you're already using the Mad Cat III, you might as well go all nine Clantech yards (which are half again as long as Inner Sphere yards).

I want to, but there's no mini! It's a sweet light 'mech for the Combine, though.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #75 on: 21 August 2011, 00:04:44 »
What about the Ocelot?  Isn't that on the Combine list?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #76 on: 21 August 2011, 00:04:56 »
Oh, right, I keep forgetting that you're playing tabletop and not MegaMek. But now that I'm on that train of thought, to bring things back around to the original topic, how about some Clan tanks? I'm pretty sure that the DCMS uses a not-insignificant number of both Ishtars and Shodens, and those are both pretty nasty heavy tanks. And there's the SM-series hovertanks, and the Hachiman is a pretty nice fire support unit. These are all common Nova Cat units and thus I'd imagine they're used by numerous frontline DCMS tank units.

- Klarg1

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #77 on: 21 August 2011, 00:06:13 »

Oooh, yeah, I'd completely forgotten about that thing. The Ocelot 3 in particular is amazing, it's like a Wolfhound on PCP.

- Klarg1

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: 21 August 2011, 00:09:44 »

Weirdly enough, no.

Oh, right, I keep forgetting that you're playing tabletop and not MegaMek. But now that I'm on that train of thought, to bring things back around to the original topic, how about some Clan tanks? I'm pretty sure that the DCMS uses a not-insignificant number of both Ishtars and Shodens, and those are both pretty nasty heavy tanks. And there's the SM-series hovertanks, and the Hachiman is a pretty nice fire support unit. These are all common Nova Cat units and thus I'd imagine they're used by numerous frontline DCMS tank units.

It's certainly my plan to use some SM1s and Jousts, if nothing else. I like the idea of emphasizing the increased level of clantech available to both sides in the game I'm planning on running (AFFS/DCMS).

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #79 on: 21 August 2011, 00:50:27 »
Sadly, until the minis come out most of DC's best conventional units won't be an option.

But, i've had great success with the J. Edgar Hoover, Pegasus and Tokugawas.  Schiltrons can be very dangerous, but due to their wheeled movement (a painful constant in DC tanks) and their somewhat thing armor it can be tricky to use, like everything else DC.

Tokugawas are pretty straight forward and provide one of the few sources of LB10Xs in the Combine.

Scimtar's, J. Edgar Hoovers and Pegasus make great flanking or pursuit units while the mechs pound the enemy down.

Crows are nice by Combine standards, overshadowed by things like Cavalries and Mantis, but still effective.

By any chance is there a Daimyo HQ model floating out there?  Those rock with the mobile HQ/satellite uplink rules in effect.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you