Author Topic: 3D printer recommendations?  (Read 882 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
3D printer recommendations?
« on: 03 November 2023, 22:21:55 »
Can anyone here recommend a decent starter-level 3D printer?  Somebody I know recently got a Sovol SV06, which he has had good experiences with in the month or so that he's had it, and actually seems quite capable based on the photos he's sent me; he even printed a mask for one of his kids to wear on Halloween.  I've read a decent number of pro reviews, but I also read user reviews and there are some really strongly negative ones concerning this model.  Can anyone here vouch for it?

What else has worked well for people here?  I would like to spend not more than $500 CAD (tax included).  Also I want a filament printer; don't want to risk resin with kids at home.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: 3D printer recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 03 November 2023, 23:48:31 »
I haven't gotten one but I remember looking hard at the Creality Ender series.

I just looked at an article from pc mag  https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-3d-printers this gives the ones they found the best, and some pros and cons, with at the end links where you can look at them

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2023, 07:57:11 »
till mine broke about 2 years back i enjoyed ender series easy simple to use...
i had not gotten around to replacing it nor u need one currently but they are not too outragous 200 usd and up
ohhh choose what type you want resin ones liquid ones are more detail oriented most times need curing under UV just look them up on google and ones that use filament are not as detail oriented but are faster...
« Last Edit: 04 November 2023, 08:00:18 by elf25s »
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 04 November 2023, 08:28:28 »
It all comes down to first answering the following question:

What do YOU want it for?

As I cannot make any real recommendation until then.

Do you want it to make Terrain? Then yes, an Ender Creality or Elegoo Neptune or similar FDM printer is what you want/need. I use my Elegoo Neptune to make terrain....a LOT of terrain for both BATTLETECH and STAR WARS LEGION.

BUT, if what you want it for is to make minis or other super fine pieces, then you should look to a resin printer as these will give you the fine finish/printing you want/need. I use my resin to make STAR WARS MINIS, like Han Solo/Princess Leia in Hoth Gear or Captured Imperial/Rebel Pilots for more thematic games. I would not even try to do them on a FDM printer as I am not gonna get the fine printing the resin gives me.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 05 November 2023, 00:35:24 »

BUT, if what you want it for is to make minis or other super fine pieces, then you should look to a resin printer as these will give you the fine finish/printing you want/need. I use my resin to make STAR WARS MINIS, like Han Solo/Princess Leia in Hoth Gear or Captured Imperial/Rebel Pilots for more thematic games. I would not even try to do them on a FDM printer as I am not gonna get the fine printing the resin gives me.

That is what I want to get to eventually.  But like I said, with young kids in the house, and without a well-ventilated area to work in, I won't consider resin at this time. (And it's not gaming minis I want to print anyway, though that would be a definite plus.) 

At this point I seem to be down to either the Sovol or the Elegoo Neptune 3 Pro.  The latter is easier to get into for first-timers but the former is more moddable (completely open source) and can work with a wider variety of filament materials, though it apparently has trouble with softer ones.

It's a business-related thing so I don't want to go into many details, but the kinds of things I would like to print are generally larger than gaming minis.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 08 November 2023, 18:06:01 »
Can anyone here say anything about the Anycubic Kobra series?  It's a rather cheap (and cheaply made) filament printer made by a company better known for their resin printers.

I think I'm about to make the jump for the Sovol, but I'm being held back by some videos I saw on Youtube about how it has to be lubricated.  It becomes a real project because to actually get the lubricant into the bearings, you have to pretty much completely disassemble the machine and then even open the parts to get at the bearings.  You CAN just put some lubricant on the rails and it helps some, but doesn't really get the lube into the bearings because their ends are sealed with rubber rings. 

Do I want my hobby to be the printing, or the printer itself?  Full disclosure:  I do NOT have a good track record when it comes to disassembling and reassembling electromechanical devices, and having them be functional afterwards.

cheers,

Gabe

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2023, 11:23:18 »
Can anyone here recommend a decent starter-level 3D printer?  Somebody I know recently got a Sovol SV06, which he has had good experiences with in the month or so that he's had it, and actually seems quite capable based on the photos he's sent me; he even printed a mask for one of his kids to wear on Halloween.  I've read a decent number of pro reviews, but I also read user reviews and there are some really strongly negative ones concerning this model.  Can anyone here vouch for it?

What else has worked well for people here?  I would like to spend not more than $500 CAD (tax included).  Also I want a filament printer; don't want to risk resin with kids at home.

cheers,

Gabe

Depends on what you wanting to do with it and the type of stuff your looking to print. ( I have 3 printers right now)  a ender 3v2 ( modded to almost a ender 3 s1),m a cro10 ( v1) that was a rebuilt with a big tree tech board and screen . ( this printer was given to me as  dead board )  and my most recent and one i am using the most  the saturn 2 ( i got the entire kit wash and cure station) printer.
  now  like I said depends on what your wanting to print.   I have the cro10 for doing my larger prints and super long prints since it prints the best with the least issues now.   My ender 3 one I do minor stuff like for my friends and family little gifts that may or may not last long depend kids.   the saturn I loving for doing the super high detail and faster prints than i can on the other 2 printers.  ( I mean  like mini details a game terrain and such things that i gotten asked to print like time * example 1 in rims for a tractor a person was modelling out for a diorama..

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2023, 03:50:21 »
Buy an Ender 3.

If you have a larger budget or want to print more stuff faster buy two or more Ender 3's.

I would not go for anything more complicated that that.  The Ender 3 is simple, reliable and well supported.  At any stage you have a question just do some research.  You will get more fan support for Ender 3 than any other printer out there.  It is not the most flash or advanced but it is commonplace.  Its the VW bug, Citroen 2CV or Model T Ford of 3d printing.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2023, 10:02:16 »
I would find one with lots of support and one that people know lot about and can troubleshoot with you.

I have had 2 and when they had problems , I didn't know how to fix them. Now kinda a waste.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2023, 00:22:20 »
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.  In the end, I went for the Sovol, still the most solid, least troublesome, and most moddable of that company's line of printers.
The guy who recommended it to me came over and helped me set it up while our daughters had a playdate (they're school classmates and friends).  Looks like the company actually listened to the feedback and critiques of their first few tranches from earlier this year.  My unit was really quite quiet, with none of the oft-mentioned scratching and grinding of the extruder as it traverses the left-right and front-back rails.  It also had more up-to-date firmware than my friend's unit.

And here are the first fruits...

Cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2023, 00:33:24 »
Here is a photo of the printer itself.

Cheers,

Gabe

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2023, 21:09:31 »
Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. 

It is a pleasure to help those who appreciate the help.
Some reassurances, moral support and advice going forward:

The objectively correct right answer.

The guy who recommended it to me came over and helped me set it up while our daughters had a playdate (they're school classmates and friends). 

This is the winning line right here.  You bought a printer, after researching it and others, with the direct help of someone who is friendly and you allow in your door.  Optimum result frankly.

I do not know the Sovol, so I could not recommend it.  I do not know if it is basic top end or in the middle.  You have it, you have the recommendation of someone who is a fan of it and therefore you have support, and in turn will grow to understand the Sovol and gain exp in use of that printer.

This is why I recommended the Ender 3, the chance of the above optimum scenario is high due to the ubiquity of the printer.  It could have been an Ender 3 guy who came around with his daughter, but it was a Sovol guy.  I won't try and measure the two, it's not practical, or helpful.  The outside expertise is worth far more than any differences even if subjectively better.  When you become Sovol guy 2.0 you will know what is what.

Ubiquity is key

What I will say is this.  The other half of my advice still holds.  If you get the 3d print bug and want faster and more, don't bother 'upgrading to the newer faster printer',  get two or three or more basic printers and run them in tandem.  Same result but even faster and a lot cheaper.  Also multiple printers mean print fails are parsed and you lose less effort, unless the failure is a general power cut.
If you end up with two or three Sovols side by side on your workbench you are heading in the right not the wrong direction.
The only exceptions are for massive print sizes and if you want to transition to resin.

Large Scale printers. Think outside the box.

For massive print sizes you need to ask yourself why.  Most print items are split down for 220mm and 240mm bed sizes, which are dictated by the bulk quantity printers that are most commonly used.  Another good reason to join the herd.  You need larger than this only for specific items, wearables are a good example and specific 'industrial' use.  You will already know if you are in that category.
Large print sizes come at a price, the bigger the print bed the more the manufacturer will gouge you.  Instead if you really want to make giant prints you need to make your own.  To do this take a ubiquitous well supported printer, like an Ender ( or Sovol, check with the Sovol guy) and make custom axes for it and a custom print bed.  This is a job for geeks, but it can be done.  You can buy a 'massive' printer for a 'massive' price, or you can buy a regular 3d printer, some custom 'girders' and turn an entire workbench or even an entire room into a printer for a fraction of the price.  Take that for print sizes.  You can even make massive heated beds, pet shops sell them, and as is common the same item has a different price tag for different purposes.  Want a massive custom heated print bed for a 3d printer "that'll cost ya!", want the exact same massive heated bed for a pet python "yep standard vivarium supplier waiting to serve customers".
Chances are you will never get there, but if you end up really getting the 3d printing bug, this is where the rabbit hole you tumble down ends up, and it is not as ridiculous as it first sounds.

Resin

However now you are getting into 3d printing you will find that filament printing is not everything.  It is better overall for some roles, but to make the most of 3d printing you need to consider resin.  Even if you only resin print small components to add to a filament printers output what will make a huge quality difference.

The above wisdom for filament printers does not apply to resin.  Here you through my earlier advice in reverse.  You don't want to try and mod resin printers unless you really know what you are doing; most of us don't including me. You don't want to go cheap either, and unless you run a 3d print business you don't want two.

Safety first

You have daughter and she sounds young.  Resin printers involve chemical processes and are unsafe.  Either you can secure your resin printer, in a well ventilated space, preferably in a lockable outbuilding, or don't buy one and go with filament printers only.  Maybe you are already there, if so you can outsource resin print components and go filament only.

Bigger is better.

If you are still on board with resin printing know this: Size is key, what can hold a lot can hold a little, but the other way around does not work.  As resin printers are expensive don't go for a false economy, buy a bigger one over a smaller one.  If needs be wait until a deal (including Black Friday!), if needs be wait until your budget recovers so you can spend an extra 25% on an even bigger one.

Just get ONE, unless you run printers as a business.

When your print ends you need to be there, because the are immediate post production stages.  These processes involve handling and storing chemicals so they cant be rushed.  For safeties sake you want one resin printer running, wait for it to complete the print cycle then go through post production and clean up. Later you might have more than one running at once to finish cyclers between each other or do do one massive daily print then a single bigger clean up sequences.  But that requires previous experience.  Get the exp first, then juggle resin once you are confident you can.

Faster is better.

Do not go with old tech, 3d resin printers are emerging technology.  The newer screens last longer and print faster than older tech screens and cost marginally more, or even less.  Go advanced not basic.

Research all the jargon.

Watch lots of comparison videos.

TLDR

Elegoo Saturn 3 Ultra
Buy that one or the one most reviewers pitch to be superior to it and in your budget.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2023, 22:09:38 by Von Jankmon »
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

mechnut450

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2023, 19:15:22 »
Buy an Ender 3.

If you have a larger budget or want to print more stuff faster buy two or more Ender 3's.

I would not go for anything more complicated that that.  The Ender 3 is simple, reliable and well supported.  At any stage you have a question just do some research.  You will get more fan support for Ender 3 than any other printer out there.  It is not the most flash or advanced but it is commonplace.  Its the VW bug, Citroen 2CV or Model T Ford of 3d printing.

hit me up I might be able to walk you though the issues and or point you in the right direction.. I hit a lot of bumps i nthe road with my printers over the years so I picked up a few tricks and might be able to walk you though your issues.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2023, 21:25:06 »
That's an amazing trilobite!

Register