Author Topic: Civilization VI  (Read 14441 times)

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Civilization VI
« on: 29 September 2016, 13:28:09 »
Today, the preview embargo broke. So today I've been watching Let's Play videos recorded by Quill18. I have to say, the depth of the game (at first glance) at launch looks like it'll be along the lines of Civ V after the expansions, but not all the leaders. I'm looking forward to the 21st.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Re: Civilization VI
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2016, 12:00:41 »
Yeah I've been watching the videos on the Civ6 channel.

Every time I think I detoxed that game, it keeps pulling me back.

Edit: I love the prospect of the Casus Belli system.
If it goes well, I might actually help my allies in game!
« Last Edit: 30 September 2016, 13:28:11 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2016, 11:57:20 »
Yeah I've been watching the videos on the Civ6 channel.

Every time I think I detoxed that game, it keeps pulling me back.

Edit: I love the prospect of the Casus Belli system.
If it goes well, I might actually help my allies in game!
yes civ series is known for sucking up time and space as we know it....so lets go one more turn?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2016, 12:54:18 »
yes civ series is known for sucking up time and space as we know it....so lets go one more turn?
I'm in!
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2016, 14:00:59 »
I'm madly addicted to Civ V so I think I might have to expand on that and get VI!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2016, 06:51:26 »
I'm tempted, i skipped Civ5 for sake of time and money.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2016, 10:54:11 »
In all seriousness: who in here wants to play by e-mail? I've got Civ4 with all the expansions and my preference is Beyond the Sword.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2016, 13:44:50 »
In all seriousness: who in here wants to play by e-mail? I've got Civ4 with all the expansions and my preference is Beyond the Sword.
i have it installed but had not got around to playing it in a while...try as of today according to the log since april 23 of this year...
gah now i have some time time to mess with it again tonight....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2016, 13:54:45 »
gah now i have some time time to mess with it again tonight....
Shall we plan on a game? Does anyone else in here want to get involved? How about mod/scenario Charlemagne?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2016, 15:15:19 »
Shall we plan on a game? Does anyone else in here want to get involved? How about mod/scenario Charlemagne?
would love to...
only when my 2 younglins are not around...not sure how to set up the game for e mail play tho never had to do it

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2016, 15:40:19 »
would love to...
only when my 2 younglins are not around...not sure how to set up the game for e mail play tho never had to do it
I can do it. From then on it is just send & download the save file, load, play a turn, and send it to the next player.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2016, 21:33:56 »
And here I am excited I found my Civ3 disks in the move...
Maker of big things.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2016, 01:19:27 »
I used to love playing civnet (civilization 1 with internet capabilities) and would build up a powerful realm, then go play the NEXT most powerful realm and try to beat the nation I'd built up.

Fun challenge.

Then CIV II locked the save file to the player faction and I couldn't switch anymore.  That sucked...:(
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2016, 12:51:59 »
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Charlemagne mod
Year is 592. Western Rome has fallen. It is the end of the antiquity and beginning of the Dark Middle Ages. Europe is in shambles. It is time to rebuild and get onto the Pope's good side.

You can find this mod under BEYOND THE SWORD CONTENT. Check it out, read modified Civilopedia, and decide on the faction you want to play. Then I will set up play by e-mail and we can start to exchange turns. elf25s has announced himself. Any other comers?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2016, 18:38:51 »
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, Charlemagne mod
Year is 592. Western Rome has fallen. It is the end of the antiquity and beginning of the Dark Middle Ages. Europe is in shambles. It is time to rebuild and get onto the Pope's good side.

You can find this mod under BEYOND THE SWORD CONTENT. Check it out, read modified Civilopedia, and decide on the faction you want to play. Then I will set up play by e-mail and we can start to exchange turns. elf25s has announced himself. Any other comers?
once i figure out the set up you are on...but it will be at least 2 weeks ....or after the first of next month in middle of moving and doctors who want to make sure i do not have a heart attack induced by stress

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #15 on: 04 October 2016, 23:27:47 »
Who's getting Civ VI right away?  I cant (no point, late October through Thanksgiving I wind up spending most of my time covering shifts at work), earliest I'll be able to play is December.

So, can I rely on you guys to tell me if it's worth trying?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2016, 10:55:01 »
So, can I rely on you guys to tell me if it's worth trying?

In a word: no. The best I can tell you is if I find the game enjoyable or not, but that's only going to apply to me. Best I can suggest is to find some Let's Play videos and watch them. Quill18 has a series on YouTube, playing as Rome on the first play through and as Norway for another run.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2016, 12:27:18 »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2016, 14:01:19 »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 20 October 2016, 15:22:49 »
He apparently still playing it, now in year 4200...still dead lock.  I noticed if recalled you could keep going, man did this guy take it to town.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2016, 22:32:42 »
I wonder how it would wprk with Civ V.... (which had no polution mechanic)
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 21 October 2016, 06:07:59 »
I wonder how it would wprk with Civ V.... (which had no polution mechanic)
Sid Meier response to it was he was amazed that someone was still playing the game, continuously since it came out.
He said that in expansions coming out for Civ 5 will include the player's choosen faction Celtics and he looking into  seeing into addingthe Endless War Scenario could be slipped in the expansion called "Gods and Kings"  I was looking into it, it doesn't initially look like Endless War was included thou unless it was expansion from later.

Reddits users apparently kept going with it, the original guy plays it for fun now. 

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #22 on: 21 October 2016, 13:42:46 »
Those ones who want to wait and get Civ6 with all the expansions (coming soon or whatever) for sale price, I recommend to pass the time by loading up Civ4 (if you have it) with mod Caveman2Cosmos. It's nearly gigabyte's worth of collection of mods, put together on one monstrous package! They say it has gameplay for 100+ turns. You have been warned!

Guys behind of it have saying equivalent to BattleTech devs' Yeah, We've Got A Rule For That:
Its in now
[edit]
14000 turns!!? :o
« Last Edit: 21 October 2016, 14:31:39 by Matti »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 21 October 2016, 14:27:37 »
ok one of my friends gave me a gift of it ...seems he felt bit guilty missing my bd earlier since he was over seas ...
just finished playing it for about 40 minutes before got called in to my cardiologists office...
at least had time while waiting to give it a test drive

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #24 on: 21 October 2016, 23:29:04 »
So how was it?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 22 October 2016, 08:56:15 »
to your question? a lot things stayed the same and a lot of things are different.

so far it seems like they took the best from civ 4 civ 5 and beyond earth and blended them nicely...art is very nice and even without icons you can tell what it is thanks to amount of detailing added that is even culture/civ specific.
mechanics are unchanged still addictive click one more time skinner box >:D. selection of basic civs is not much but just enough room to have more with future dlc
not sure about mods yet but i am sure some will be made in next few weeks if not days.
now for one or two things that irks me workers had been removed and replaced with builders that last for 3 builds/improvements, the auto explore is bit clumsy compared to previous games.

huge change is in cities which makes them rougher to defend...a good change too, but one huge change is districts. for example if you have encampment district which is military enhancement you can only build military related buildings same goes for trading/banking district etc. district are build connected to the center and do bring that much needed flavor when it comes to defending the city
research has also changed a bit but not too much from previous games tree is probably least changed.
another change was in government cultural research does affect your bonuses which you can change by using cards with specific bonuses this includes all 4 branches

as for game play ai is way better than previous ones it will retreat after doing damage wait to heal out of range and come back either straight at you or from another direction. this is also reflected in how it builds improvements and cities

looks like civ 6 will replace civ 4 as fans fav and i agree...

now to see if i can play sometimes this weekend before bed and see how long i can stave off one more turn

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2016, 16:59:04 »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There goes my life  :'( Oh well... at least I can finally give up on Civ V for awhile.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 22 October 2016, 17:07:14 »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! There goes my life  :'( Oh well... at least I can finally give up on Civ V for awhile.
lol

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #28 on: 22 October 2016, 23:05:41 »
I'm gonna get one more game of Civ V in (havnt won as Egypt yet) before I decide whether to upgrade or not.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2016, 20:18:01 »
looks like the mods came out quick not even a day...nexus has at least 3 available and that was before 36 hours were up

Register