Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147513 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1020 on: 08 February 2015, 11:16:07 »
From what it looks like, it's only going to be the audio play, so you'll have to imagine it.

Ahhh....Well, they've done animation style for the lost episodes of Dr. Who they had only audio for.  I can image they could do that too.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1021 on: 08 February 2015, 14:31:45 »
Ahhh....Well, they've done animation style for the lost episodes of Dr. Who they had only audio for.  I can image they could do that too.

Um...no. Just...no.

Big Finish only does audio plays. They're quite good actually. You really should check them out. I'd say many of them are better than many of the televised stories. (Especially comparing their Sixth Doctor stories to the televised Sixth Doctor ones.) They also introduced one of my all time favorite companions: Professor Evelyn Smythe. She was played by Maggie Stables (may she rest in peace), and was absolutely wonderful. Was a great fit with Colin Baker.
Also, their Seventh Doctor range is great! (Of course I'm biased, McCoy was my first Doctor.) And they've also done many, many stories featuring Paul McGann's Eighth Doctor. He's really cool.
And they also have non-Doctor stories. They have this one series about the rise of Davros on Skaro, from when he was a young boy to when (I believe) right before the 4th Doctor met him in "Genesis of the Daleks". (Haven't finished it yet.) It was...disturbing to say the least. Creepy boy that...
And the production values on them are generally quite good. So seriously, don't let the lack of a visual medium deter you. Go check them out! :D

Big Finish

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #1022 on: 20 February 2015, 20:49:44 »
Well, just finished watching 'Last Christmas.'

Wow.

I have no words to convey how awful that was.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1023 on: 20 February 2015, 21:20:22 »
Well, just finished watching 'Last Christmas.'

Wow.

I have no words to convey how awful that was.

I know, right?

We need good (won't even go so far as to wish for great) stories ASAP. The whole last season has been "meh" to "bleh". If they don't come up with some decent stories soon Peter Capaldi will become the Colin Baker of the revised series....

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1024 on: 21 February 2015, 02:26:46 »
And if he does, it wont even be his fault, just like Baker.  This is Moffat s crap writing at work.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #1025 on: 24 February 2015, 07:37:27 »
I think we need some Captain Jack to spice things up.

"Hello."

"Stop flirting."

"I was just saying hello!"

"For you that's flirting...."

Ah....the good old days...;)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1026 on: 24 February 2015, 11:13:24 »
Can you imagine if Jenny (the Doctor's daughter) and Captain Jack came back in the same episode?
(And you thought he was protective of Clara toward Danny...!!!)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1027 on: 26 February 2015, 13:07:01 »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1028 on: 27 February 2015, 13:31:29 »
Missy-haters, despair!

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2015/02/missy-190215100008.html

cheers,

Gabe

Yeah, that was revealed within days of the end of series 8.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1029 on: 28 February 2015, 13:47:40 »
I know I've been going on about these here for quite a while, but I'm going to do it again:

An Introductory Primer for the Audio Adventures of Doctor Who

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1030 on: 28 February 2015, 14:04:07 »
Yeah, that was revealed within days of the end of series 8.

We knew Missy was going to be back for Series 9, but that soon???  Getting yet more bad vibes here...like Moffat is going to overuse Missy the way he did with the Weeping Angels and River Song.

Still no word AFAIK on whether River will return.  I know many here aren't looking forward to such an event--but if it happens, I think it would only be fitting if it's the Doctor's last meeting with her, an adventure that takes place right before the events of "Silence In the Library" from River's perspective.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1031 on: 28 February 2015, 19:03:40 »
They've already established in an internet exclusive clip (from about series 6 I believe) that it's Eleven that has the last meeting with River Song.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1032 on: 01 March 2015, 01:29:38 »
They've already established in an internet exclusive clip (from about series 6 I believe) that it's Eleven that has the last meeting with River Song.

But that's the disembodied River who exists inside the Library computer (though how is she able to project herself?).  What I meant would be for #12 to meet a still-corporeal River who's getting ready for the Library adventure--does he break their "no spoilers" policy and attempt to dissuade her from going, or not tell her and allow her to meet the fate he knows is in store for her? 

It would also give her "you're so young" comment to #10 some meaning, if the last Doctor she had seen was the older-looking (and temporally older) #12, and is then confronted with the youthful #10.

cheers,

Gabe

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1033 on: 01 March 2015, 07:15:45 »
But that's the disembodied River who exists inside the Library computer (though how is she able to project herself?).  What I meant would be for #12 to meet a still-corporeal River who's getting ready for the Library adventure--does he break their "no spoilers" policy and attempt to dissuade her from going, or not tell her and allow her to meet the fate he knows is in store for her? 

It would also give her "you're so young" comment to #10 some meaning, if the last Doctor she had seen was the older-looking (and temporally older) #12, and is then confronted with the youthful #10.

cheers,

Gabe

There was a short created (and included in the boxed set for one of the seasons)...it has the Doctor and River crossing their timestreams with themselves on their first date and last date. Both Doctors are Matt Smith....

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1034 on: 02 March 2015, 15:27:32 »
There was a short created (and included in the boxed set for one of the seasons)...it has the Doctor and River crossing their timestreams with themselves on their first date and last date. Both Doctors are Matt Smith....

Ruger

I know this may sound odd, but did they even have a honey moon?  They never seem to be together for very long....
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1035 on: 31 March 2015, 11:43:36 »
Look who will be guest starring in the upcoming season...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/32118693

cheers,

Gabe

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1036 on: 31 March 2015, 14:15:50 »
And Arthur Darvill will be a time traveler in his own right for the CW.

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-31/doctor-who-star-and-new-hawkgirl-join-arrowthe-flash-spinoff
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1037 on: 31 March 2015, 17:52:45 »
Look who will be guest starring in the upcoming season...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/32118693

cheers,

Gabe

Sounds like a good episode. Its pretty neat that Masie Williams has had very little acting roles before being the "awesome girl" on Game of Thrones, and being no better then 16.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1038 on: 01 April 2015, 14:06:39 »
Sounds like a good episode. Its pretty neat that Masie Williams has had very little acting roles before being the "awesome girl" on Game of Thrones, and being no better then 16.

Personally, I hope she appears in very heavy makeup and costume and is almost unrecognizable.  I won't disagree that she's been pretty awesome as Arya Stark, especially for someone with so little prior experience, but I think that she's in great danger of being too closely associated with a particular role too early in her career.  As Sylvester McCoy himself once said of playing the Doctor, "I don't think you ever really can get away from him, can you?"  (the main difference being that he was already a broadly experienced comedian, actor, and TV host when he took on the role of the 7th Doctor).

cheers,

Gabe

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1039 on: 06 April 2015, 18:58:52 »
Sorry for the quote necromancy, but..

Well, we know that the Master/Missy seems to have made it off Gallifrey somehow and knows its location.

If this was brought up before, my bad, but I just noticed something.  I was watching the 50th anniversary episode and couldn't help but notice something:  Right when the Doctor(s) blast the Dalek out of the "Gallifrey Falls No More" painting, a hand sticks out of the painting. :o

If you guys saw/discussed this before me, you have my permission to call me a slow witted Sontaaran kisser. :-[
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1040 on: 22 April 2015, 22:40:50 »
Just watched "The Enemy of the World" on DVD. Was a very enjoyable story. A refreshing change of pace for Doctor Who (especially for that era). No monsters. Just the evils of humanity. Not only was Patrick Troughton a really good Doctor, but he played a very evil villain (if with a dodgy accent). As always Jamie was fun to watch, I've always thought him one of the best companions. And I know Victoria gets a bad rap as one of the worst of the screamers, but honestly I don't think she screamed once in this story. Thought she handled her own quite well.

In some ways the Hartnell and Troughton years were the best for Doctor Who: in that there was no show formula. It was still very experimental. By the Pertwee years it became very much a "Monster-of-the-Week" show. Oh there were the rare exception ("Black Orchid" is a lovely example), but on the whole the formula for the show never really changed. And the revived series feels even more trapped in that. While the latest season dabbled in different genres ("Time Heist" was a very good heist story, and "Mummy on the Orient" express with it's obvious homage), even still it never seems to escape that fundamental premise. I have a very hard time imaging them doing a story like "The Mind Robber" today. So I enjoy those years, when it was finding it's identity. Changing from purely a light sci-fi show specializing in historical education to monsters and scares and pure entertainment.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1041 on: 23 April 2015, 05:17:14 »
Enemy of the World is on my to-watch list, I remember being quite impressed with the episodes that were on the Lost in Time DVDs
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1042 on: 29 April 2015, 22:40:13 »
Just thought I'd share some cool music stuff I've found:

The Doctor Who Radiophon-A-Tron
(Make your own theme arrangement.)

And I think everyone here has probably heard this:
Doctor Who Theme (1963)

But have you heard it like this:
Doctor Who Theme (Time-Stretched)
That sounds super amazing if you ask me...

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1043 on: 16 May 2015, 17:48:00 »
Somehow, they've found a way to bring back Ingrid Oliver as Osgood for the next series...

http://www.kasterborous.com/2015/05/heres-ingrid-oliver-back-osgood-location/

Question is...is that really Osgood?

cheers,

Gabe

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1044 on: 16 May 2015, 19:46:24 »
Considering the way Moffat writes stuf, yeah probably.  He doesnt kill off anyone.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #1045 on: 17 May 2015, 10:29:37 »
I thought he said in an interview recently that the one Missy killed was the Zygon Osgood...

Speaking of Osgood...I must be the only Whovian that doesn't like that character...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1046 on: 17 May 2015, 11:48:15 »

Speaking of Osgood...I must be the only Whovian that doesn't like that character...

Don't worry, ask any two Whovians for the opinion on anything about Doctor Who and you'll get at least 12 conflicting answers.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1047 on: 08 June 2015, 00:56:16 »
Don't worry, ask any two Whovians for the opinion on anything about Doctor Who and you'll get at least 12 conflicting answers.

Oh..this is why I wish there was a like button on here..
This is so bloody true! Worse is when we start arguing our reasons with our selves and turning around
to represent our different arguments to ourselves!

What? Am I the only one who does that?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1048 on: 09 July 2015, 19:55:06 »
Series 9 Trailer is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi3nJBlJs48

So the girl at the end- Doctor's Daughter or Susan Foreman?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1049 on: 09 July 2015, 20:12:06 »
Well I'm inclined to say not his Daughter(from the machine) since they said she couldn't regenerate.

Register