Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147492 times)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1110 on: 14 November 2015, 23:37:01 »
Ok saw last week's episode.  Typical Moffat.  Talking up the Doctor's actions in an episode he wrote then talking about how great Clara is.  The guy is high on his own work to the point of ruining the enjoyment once the speech started.

I did like the ambiguity of Osgood's identity though.  And loved the line "You said that the last 15 times"

And I agree with whoever said it, the metaphor was a bit heavy handed.  Bordering on Joss Whedon in season 6 of Buffy.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1111 on: 15 November 2015, 02:19:22 »
Strangely, this episode didn't move me.  But I've been in one of my moods lately, so I blame that.  Bout as far as I will go with that.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1112 on: 15 November 2015, 02:59:09 »
Can't say I'm overly impressed with this season either. Better then the last.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1113 on: 15 November 2015, 08:43:23 »
Can't say I'm overly impressed with this season either. Better then the last.

Actually, MHO, the season's actually been pretty good, except last night's episode.  Though again, that's more my mood as of late.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1114 on: 16 November 2015, 17:44:17 »
It's not just you.  The monster dust episode wasn't very good.  As the doctor said, none of it made sense
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #1115 on: 16 November 2015, 22:10:28 »
It was like a redoo of ''Blink'' but without the creep element. I didn't hate it but really, not the best to date. Hope it's one of those episodes you only found was important later.  :-X

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #1116 on: 17 November 2015, 02:36:20 »
Blink STILL freaks me out years later.

Awesome episode.

BAD one to watch in the dark.

Or if you live near a cemetery...
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1117 on: 17 November 2015, 14:59:52 »
Blink STILL freaks me out years later.

Awesome episode.

BAD one to watch in the dark.

Or if you live near a cemetery...

My parents' house is beside a cemetary, and my bedroom looked right over the wall.  Less creepy than you'd think.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #1118 on: 17 November 2015, 21:08:15 »
Depends on the cemetery.  ;)

Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
My Deviant Art Page

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1119 on: 20 November 2015, 22:40:46 »
It's not just you.  The monster dust episode wasn't very good.  As the doctor said, none of it made sense

I don't understand all the hate for this episode.

Sure, it's very heavily indebted to "The Ring", and the explanation of how sleep dust could become a living being was, well...but I found it effective enough as a whole.  Had a strangely '80s Who kind of feel, I could easily see it as a 5th Doctor story.  And the fact that the Morpheus process was infectious and ends up consuming the unwitting subject from within was yet another nod to something like the Wirrn.

Given the reveal of what Rasmussen was (or had become), I think the implication was *he* was "the man who hadn't slept in five years".  Does that mean the other Sandmen were the station's former crew? 

I also liked how the story was placed within Who continuity and the cultural fusion (the casting reflected that, even down to the actresses who played the pod singers), and the suggestion that in the future, humanity will spend several centuries of outward power and prosperity, with accompanying moral/ethical turpitude--by the...41st?...Century, they've gone from purpose-breeding people to enslaving pacifistic alien races ("The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit" and "Planet of The Ood").

cheers,

Gabe 
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1120 on: 22 November 2015, 07:30:01 »
No comments yet about last night's episode?  ???

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1121 on: 22 November 2015, 09:07:53 »
One thing I'm wondering is why the contract wasn't simply transfered?  Seems like the terms were not actually altered and Ashilder should have still been able to remove the chronolock.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1122 on: 22 November 2015, 11:14:51 »
No comments yet about last night's episode?  ???

Ruger

Had to let the whole thing sink in.

One thing I'm wondering is why the contract wasn't simply transfered?  Seems like the terms were not actually altered and Ashilder should have still been able to remove the chronolock.

I'll have to rewatch it, but what if she picked him for a reason?  "Me"/Ashilder could've lied to whoever she made the deal with and said that he was close to the Doctor.  I know, she could've used Clara, but I get the impression that she probably saw Clara as a friend.  I mean, I know that she has a limited memory and all, but after going over all her notes, she probably wound up liking Clara
« Last Edit: 22 November 2015, 11:19:44 by ClarkeMarek »
Five rounds, rapid!

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1123 on: 22 November 2015, 21:56:51 »
I just finished watching it and found it sad; though it was a very Claraestic way for her to go. I even liked the Danny reference That order she gave him was very well thought out; the fury of a Timelord is something we have seen well before

I am curious though- have they picked a new Companion and letting it be a surprise?
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1124 on: 22 November 2015, 23:48:10 »
I just finished watching it and found it sad; though it was a very Claraestic way for her to go. I even liked the Danny reference That order she gave him was very well thought out; the fury of a Timelord is something we have seen well before

I am curious though- have they picked a new Companion and letting it be a surprise?

Finally somebody mentioned the elephant in the room.

So whose fault is it, really?  It seems like it's a little bit of a murder-on-the-Orient-Express situation, with several parties equally at guilt for Clara's demise.  But the more I think about it, it really seems the lion's share of the blame should be placed on the Doctor himself.  He saw the signs of Clara's increasingly reckless and potentially self-destructive behaviour, and even remarked on it to Rigsy.
But he did nothing to stop it.  It seems unfair of him to blame Ashildr/Me for that.  Then again, this is example #2 of her forming a pact with an alien power that she doesn't really understand. 
(But the way Capaldi delivered that threat...OH SO WELL.  I actually can't picture any of the previous actors except maybe Tom Baker speaking those words and sounding like he meant them.  I think it's only this season that Capaldi has really owned the role.) 

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 23 November 2015, 01:45:32 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #1125 on: 23 November 2015, 03:16:28 »
I will always remember Tennant's threat in the Library.

I am The Doctor. This is a library.  Look me up and see what I can do to you if you don't work with me.

I know that is a paraphrase, but I will always remember his look when he delivered that almost-threat.  He was giving them one last chance and they recognized it for what it was...and they took it...

My Deviant Art Page

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1126 on: 23 November 2015, 21:02:31 »
It occurs to me that we are getting two more episodes in the series where there is no official new Companion by his side. Usually, there is one to take the immediate place of the one who left- this time we might actually have the Doctor be alone for a few episodes

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1127 on: 23 November 2015, 22:09:03 »
It occurs to me that we are getting two more episodes in the series where there is no official new Companion by his side. Usually, there is one to take the immediate place of the one who left- this time we might actually have the Doctor be alone for a few episodes

From what I've read, there are only two people in the next episode: the Doctor and whatever being/monster he is to face...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1128 on: 28 November 2015, 22:12:06 »
Um....wow...

BRING ON NEXT SATURDAY!!!!

Ruger

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1129 on: 29 November 2015, 14:55:22 »
So...."Heaven Sent"....

I thought it was a fantastic episode. Very well written and Capaldi has given probably the best performance of his entire tenure so far. And.. Gallifrey is back!! But my question is: when is this Gallifrey? The Gallifrey he put into the pocket universe was ravaged by the Time War, the dome on the Citadel destroyed. Is he on Gallifrey some time before the Time War? Or were they able to repair everything while stuck in the pocket universe? I'm assuming it never escaped from it? Then again...Moffat's handling of the whole thing has been a confused mess...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1130 on: 29 November 2015, 15:07:34 »
Despite me seeing the "gimmick"(for lack of a better word) coming a mile away for this episode I do agree it was a most interesting episode and am most eagerly awaiting next week's.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1131 on: 29 November 2015, 17:00:56 »
So...."Heaven Sent"....

But my question is: when is this Gallifrey? The Gallifrey he put into the pocket universe was ravaged by the Time War, the dome on the Citadel destroyed. Is he on Gallifrey some time before the Time War?

I don't remember seeing the Citadel destroyed; just Arcadia...

???

Ruger

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1132 on: 30 November 2015, 01:29:18 »
I don't remember seeing the Citadel destroyed; just Arcadia...

???

Ruger

The partially destroyed Citadel was shown in "The End of Time", surrounded by what look like wrecked Dalek saucers.  In "The Day of the Doctor", the Citadel is under attack, but its defenses have apparently not been breached. How this connects to Gallifrey temporarily being drawn out of the time lock, and then being pushed back in, is still unresolved, as those events would have had to happen during "The Day of the Doctor". 

Unless what we see in "The End of Time" was Gallifrey being drawn out not from the time lock, but out of the pocket universe...

cheers,

Gabe

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1133 on: 30 November 2015, 02:32:05 »
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1134 on: 30 November 2015, 10:48:38 »

So...basically the entire thing took place inside the Doctor's confession dial????

And...wasn't that all just a little bit "Edge of Tomorrow" ?

And "the Hybrid...is me."  Who does he mean--himself, or Ashildr/Me?  She's back again next week...

...bad job on the "next time" spoilers by the Beeb, giving away far too much.  And it looks like Maester Luwin from _Game of Thrones_ will be in it. 

But it was a masterful performance by Capaldi.  He just might go down as one of the greatest Doctors ever, especially now that he's finally gotten worthy material.

cheers,

Gabe

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #1135 on: 01 December 2015, 06:16:02 »

And...wasn't that all just a little bit "Edge of Tomorrow" ?
Actually EOT was about going over the same day, like an action packed futuristic "groundhog day" (sounds awesome, doesn't it? Loved that movie).

More like the "Dark tower" series finale: being stuck in a time loop (not really a "time" loop), where in the end of each loop instead of the "pay off" i.e. cathartic "Boss fight", you make a tiny difference to make it easier/better for the next loop, knowing true victory will only come after many iterations. The equivalent in EOT is that the protagonist changed himself, made himself better; however he doesn't make any lasting impact on the world until his "boss battle". I wonder if they'll make EOT2?

Anyways, can't think of one out of the to of my head, but I'm positively certain Doctor Who already used that shtick sometime somewhere; it's basically inevitable when you're a show about time travel.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1136 on: 05 December 2015, 22:25:32 »
Well that was a Hell of a way to end the season; you have to love how the writers did that twist!

Is it me or have we in a sense gone back to the original Serials in a sense; With the Timelords in the background and the Doctor doing what he wants?

Also Talk about the potential for a spinoff with Clara and Ashildr

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1137 on: 05 December 2015, 23:05:11 »

Also Talk about the potential for a spinoff with Clara and Ashildr

I want that!!!!

Oh, and love the new sonic...next up is River's sonic trowel...

Ruger

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1138 on: 07 December 2015, 10:29:22 »
I want that!!!!

Ruger

Are you serious, or is that just dripping with implied sarcasm?  ;D  ;)

I have to say, I really liked the way the final resolution was handled.  Actually brought just a hint of a tear to my eye.  I've said it before and I'll say it again:  whether you liked it or not, Moffat made sure that Clara would be a companion like no other.

In fact, I would say Moffat made his Rose now.  Think about it...of all the companions, only the two of them got what they wanted with respect to the Doctor...kind of.  Rose wanted the Doctor himself, and she kind of got him.  Clara's whole post-Impossible Girl arc was basically about her wanting to be just like the Doctor...and now she kind of is, with her own TARDIS and all...(lovely re-use of the set they made for "An Adventure In Space and Time" BTW...)...is this how Moffat follows through on his suggestion for the Doctor to be a woman?  And I think there's more than a twist of bitter irony, with the suggestion that really, they never should have been together.
Less a hybrid, and more of a sort of anti-symbiosis, if you get what I mean.

But did anybody else feel the Time Lords were kind of wasted?  I mean, Rassilon still had his Power Glove of Doom...so when he realized his soldiers were mutinying, why didn't he just disintegrate them, like we'd seen him do before?  Though, given how the Doctor basically deposed and exiled the entire High Council, there is the setup for another encounter and revenge later on.  And I think the Sisterhood of Karn will probably be gunning for the Doctor too.

And all the things left out...like how the Time Lords were able to free Gallifrey from the pocket universe and move it into the far, far future, without the Doctor being able to sense them...and just what arrangement existed between the High Council and the military (i.e. why didn't the General and his forces depose the Council sooner?)

cheers,

Gabe

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #1139 on: 07 December 2015, 11:41:35 »
Well I have a theory on the last question asked:

I think they were waiting for the Doctor's return.  Someone who could be seen as a legitimate replacement without it coming across as another military dictatorship.

Overall it was an interesting setup and I too think we haven't seen the last of Rassilon and the High Council.

Register