Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147490 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #1170 on: 25 January 2016, 21:06:20 »
WOOHOO!! Good riddance Moff!

Please excuse me while I do a happy dance.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #1171 on: 26 January 2016, 09:02:22 »
Maybe more like the end of Davies run. I just REALLY hope we get a case where the Doctor stays the same..I would love to see what someone other than Moffat can do with Capaldi's Doctor. I can understand taking a year to get a new head broken in, working out, etc with the christmas special to be the hand over of the reins.

That's not quite it.  There will be the Christmas special--MAYBE--at the end of 2016, with not even another "year of specials" to tide us over.  Moffat's last season will be in 2017, then Chris Chibnall takes over for 2018.  The show is effectively on hiatus for 2016.  Hopefully they will be putting all the pieces in place for the transition, so that when Moffat does finally bow out, the new showrunner takes over seamlessly.  Hopefully, that's all it really is and there's nothing more sinister going on behind the scenes.

I knew something was wrong when, by the 2015 Christmas special, they hadn't yet announced a new companion.  Consider:  during Tom Baker's tenure, there were, what, three? four? changes of showrunner (but they didn't call it that back then), with no such hiatus.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #1172 on: 26 January 2016, 11:01:44 »
I suspect BBC is using the hiatus to cool off the fans. This isn't the first time they've done it. I think they are looking for more of the long term fan base.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1173 on: 26 January 2016, 13:46:50 »
WOOHOO!! Good riddance Moff!

Please excuse me while I do a happy dance.

Are you familiar with Chibnall's work on Doctor Who and Torchwood?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1174 on: 26 January 2016, 13:53:29 »
Are you familiar with Chibnall's work on Doctor Who and Torchwood?

Not really. I have to check that out. I'm just thrilled Moffat and his self-indulgent crap is gone.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1175 on: 26 January 2016, 14:56:38 »
Not really. I have to check that out. I'm just thrilled Moffat and his self-indulgent crap is gone.

I'm fairly certain people will be crying out for Moffat's return by the end of Chibnall's second series at the absolute latest.

Now, I'm saying this as much because Doctor Who fans are the archetypical unpleasable fans as Chibnall is a mediocre writer, but still, mark my words.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #1176 on: 26 January 2016, 18:18:48 »
Didn't he do the dinosaur episode?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1177 on: 26 January 2016, 18:58:55 »
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are the last times he wrote for the show.  He also did the Silurian two-parter in series 5, 42 (the episode where the Doctor and Martha have to save a spaceship by answering trivia questions), and most damnigly, he was the showrunner on the first two series of Torchwood.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #1178 on: 26 January 2016, 19:36:15 »
Seems like BBC just can't get actually good show runner for Doctor Who. Considering how huge franchise Doctor Who is I doubt it's matter of them not caring enough to make sure that series has best possible show runner. How ever unlike so many fans I don't hate Moffat because he might had his share of bad episodes but there were good once as well during his run or least episodes that I happen to like.     
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1179 on: 26 January 2016, 19:40:04 »
I'm wondering jf they're oicking show runners baded on internal politics.  Both Moffet and Chibnall both sound like they worked on a lot of shows around the network before.  It may be the decision is based on promoting a favored writer to the head of the flagship show, whether he's qualified or not
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #1180 on: 26 January 2016, 20:24:25 »
I think both men are qualified, really. What does it take to be qualified to run Doctor Who? Experience with the franchise and experience in showrunning. That's it. Moffat had that and so does Chibnall. Now, whether one likes the stuff they've done with the franchise or on other shows is an entirely different thing.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1181 on: 27 January 2016, 04:35:26 »
Dinosaurs on a Spaceship and The Power of Three are the last times he wrote for the show.  He also did the Silurian two-parter in series 5, 42 (the episode where the Doctor and Martha have to save a spaceship by answering trivia questions), and most damnigly, he was the showrunner on the first two series of Torchwood.
Which were the two best series, btw
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1182 on: 27 January 2016, 06:51:32 »
That doesnt say much though.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1183 on: 27 January 2016, 08:30:03 »
I think both men are qualified, really. What does it take to be qualified to run Doctor Who? Experience with the franchise and experience in showrunning. That's it. Moffat had that and so does Chibnall. Now, whether one likes the stuff they've done with the franchise or on other shows is an entirely different thing.

You make it sound like they were both more qualified than Russell T. Davies  ;D

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #1184 on: 27 January 2016, 11:59:16 »
Davies was better....

8)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Wombat

• Captain
« Reply #1185 on: 28 January 2016, 09:51:23 »
Seasons 4, 5, and 6 were my favorite Who seasons so far...
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1186 on: 28 January 2016, 11:27:48 »
Davies was better....

8)

I felt that Davies' series may have had better great episodes, but more awful ones, and the average quality was lower than Moffat's run.  Also, say what you will about the ongoing narratives in Moffat's run, at least he did more than drop a couple of cryptic lines into a given episode, and then go "ooh, look it's all connected" in the finale. And his series 3 and 4 finales were awful IMO. 

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1187 on: 23 February 2016, 06:53:05 »
Firstly, I have not read any posts regarding the past season, up until the recent announcement about Moffatt.  So apologies if I'm retreading old ground.

I've finally watched the first two episodes of the 35th season.

Missy was less annoying in presentation.  But still annoying in a few key areas.  Namely, unless this incarnation existed prior to the Delgado Master - impossible given some of the comments, and because of the Timelock regarding the Time War - the this was not the first time he/she met Davros.  I can't cite the specific episode, but there were two of us in the room that recall such a meeting.

Once again trying to be too clever, while not checking the lore.

And I guess Daleks have greatly upgraded their mechanicals.  Ian (I'm pretty sure it was Ian) piloted one manually.

Plus, whether the Doctor saved the young Kaled boy or not was immaterial.  Fixed point in time and all that.  He had to live, so the Time Lords could offer the Doctor a pardon from his exile on Earth if he killed him before the Daleks were born.  Too which the Doctor noted that the Daleks and their atrocities were necessary to the timeline.  A fact ignored in the McCoy era and onward.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #1188 on: 24 February 2016, 03:40:06 »
That young Kaled boy was Davros. Also, we don't know whether it was really was a fixed point in time. As for the Daleks being neccassary....not so much that, but the Doctor questioning whether he had the right to cancel out all of the good that actually came about because of the Daleks...not simply because the timeline needed them. (Also, remember that this was long before the Time War, the post-TW Doctor has a very different perspective on the Daleks...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #1189 on: 29 March 2016, 02:41:26 »
So I finished the season.  One last question: We've already seen her last night with the Doctor before the Library.  He took her to the same place they went for their first date.  And he was wearing the same face on both occasions.  So is this date in the middle of the Last one?
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1190 on: 23 April 2016, 16:46:52 »
And the new companion is announced...a young actress named Pearl Mackie will be the Doctor's new companion, Bill...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1191 on: 23 April 2016, 17:25:37 »
Looks okay. I just hope the writers *cough* Moffet *coughcough* can resist the urge to make her teh most important person EVAR, as has been the case for most of the new companions.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1192 on: 24 April 2016, 00:15:01 »
Looking forward to Chris Chibnall taking over for Moffat as he can't be any worse
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #1193 on: 24 April 2016, 05:30:12 »
Don't Jinx it!

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1194 on: 24 April 2016, 19:57:25 »
And the new companion is announced...a young actress named Pearl Mackie will be the Doctor's new companion, Bill...

Ruger

I loved how they referenced Back to the Future in her trailer. :)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1195 on: 08 November 2016, 20:01:01 »
Sorry to resurrect this, but Something NEW-sorta has finally has come out.
Rejoice if your a old time Dr. Who fan, The Power of the Daleks has been resurrected!

Well reconstructed, this was a 6 episode arc that was lost from the very beginning of the 2nd Doctor Who series.
Video Trailer

This may not be for everyone. My wife is a reluctant fan of the show, she like newer ones but she hates animation.  I've never seen this so I'm curious, its suppose to have been released right now.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1196 on: 17 November 2016, 21:57:12 »
Sorry to resurrect this, but Something NEW-sorta has finally has come out.
Rejoice if your a old time Dr. Who fan, The Power of the Daleks has been resurrected!

Well reconstructed, this was a 6 episode arc that was lost from the very beginning of the 2nd Doctor Who series.
Video Trailer

This may not be for everyone. My wife is a reluctant fan of the show, she like newer ones but she hates animation.  I've never seen this so I'm curious, its suppose to have been released right now.

While the dvd won't be released until january in the states, we will be able to see the first episode this saturday on BBC America starting at 8:25 pm...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #1197 on: 04 January 2017, 10:43:27 »
No comments on the Christmas special?

Well, they went lighthearted romp again, with this being Moffat's love letter to comic book heroes, specifically Superman.  Wonder if Grant "The Ghost" will be a one-off, or if he'll return?

Nice to see Matt Lucas back as Nardole, with his head re-attached to his body.  He really should've been given more to do though.
At least the Doctor seems to have taught him a few tricks already, like how to materialize the TARDIS around another person.  And the preview reel at the end suggests he'll be staying on as a companion for at least some of the upcoming season.

I get the feeling that the Shoal (for lack of a better name for the brain aliens) are being set up as the Big Bads for the new season.
At least one has infiltrated UNIT.  They do seem to have gone downhill a bit between 2016 and 5343 though, from would-be conquerors to worshipers of a cyborg king.  Their surgeons from the future also appear less skillful.

cheers,

Gabe

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1198 on: 04 January 2017, 10:58:14 »

Sure, it was garbage.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #1199 on: 04 January 2017, 12:40:46 »

I enjoyed it.  Though I do have one question:  If Clark Kent is Superman, how come nobody else noticed it? 
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Register