Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147494 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #570 on: 07 May 2014, 23:35:30 »
He stole it broken and only got around to fixing it during the Tom Baker run I believe, but if I'm not mistaken he decided to leave it as it had become something of a signature for him.

IIRC, only the Sixth Doctor got the chameleon circuit working again.  However, he didn't get it working *right*--it never produced an appearance for the TARDIS that matched the location--and he just set it back to police box, for exactly the reasons you mention.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #571 on: 10 May 2014, 00:28:14 »
The Doctor didn't steal the Tardis. The Tardis stole the Doctor.  ;)

And while it didn't always take him where he wanted to go, it took him where he needed to be.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #572 on: 10 May 2014, 07:19:26 »
The Doctor didn't steal the Tardis. The Tardis stole the Doctor.  ;)

And while it didn't always take him where he wanted to go, it took him where he needed to be.

But he (and we) didn't know that for the longest time, until the TARDIS told him.  ;)  :D

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #573 on: 10 May 2014, 11:21:24 »
 Man I wish this season would start right now , but no we have to wait til Aug. :'(

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #574 on: 10 May 2014, 12:10:34 »
Hasn't it been postponed till next year?

(Sorry...sorry, couldn't resist.)

So what does everyone think about the photo of Janet Fielding and Peter Capaldi? Anyone think Tegan is coming back? I always rather liked Tegan. It was a shame they never really gave her much to do. Could have had a really great arc. Could have had her character grow so much. Such a wasted opportunity.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2014, 12:56:16 by YingJanshi »

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #575 on: 10 May 2014, 18:56:26 »
What photo of Janet Fielding and Capaldi?  Is Teegan coming back to the show?

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #576 on: 10 May 2014, 19:33:50 »
What photo of Janet Fielding and Capaldi?  Is Teegan coming back to the show?

It was a photo Janet Fielding tweeted a few months ago. And no, there's been no official word on whether she will be returning to the show or not. But we can hope. ;)

(Btw, she has been doing a very good job on the Big Finish audio dramas. If any of you guys haven't listened to any, I would strongly recommend them.)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #577 on: 11 May 2014, 16:41:09 »
What it be wrong for me to think that having Janet Fielding as companion seem to better fit Capaldi since they look like there roughly the same age?  Having older looking doctor hanging out with a 20-something who was in love with each other at one point seems to be odd to me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #578 on: 11 May 2014, 16:45:30 »
What it be wrong for me to think that having Janet Fielding as companion seem to better fit Capaldi since they look like there roughly the same age?  Having older looking doctor hanging out with a 20-something who was in love with each other at one point seems to be odd to me.

The Doctor is over 900 years old. Once you realize that...even the Doctor/Rose thing is a bit...

Honestly? No, she'll probably only be in for an episode. Besides Clara was never in love with the Doctor.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #579 on: 11 May 2014, 18:56:46 »
The Doctor is over 900 years old. Once you realize that...even the Doctor/Rose thing is a bit...

Honestly? No, she'll probably only be in for an episode. Besides Clara was never in love with the Doctor.

Didn't the truthfield on Tranzalore make Clara say something like "And I'm flitting about time and space with this guy because I fanc..." And then she grasped her mouth to prevent her from finishing the sentence...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #580 on: 11 May 2014, 19:38:15 »

The Doctor isn't even human. Humans must seem to a Gallifreyan like particularly clever dogs (which I trust you'd agree fits how most Doctors have treated their companions). Which then makes the Doctor/Rose thing even more ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #581 on: 11 May 2014, 19:59:54 »

If you look at it from that standpoint, then ALL of the Doctor's female companions (save perhaps Romana) have been a bit...um...

I do think Clara was in love with the Doctor.  Seems there were some scenes and dialogue from "Time of the Doctor" left on the cutting-room floor where she pretty much stated so.

And I've already seen spoilers from the opening sequences of the upcoming 1st episode, as Clara watches the Doctor struggle through his post-regeneration trauma.  Throughout this sequence, I must say, though Jenna Coleman doesn't say a word, the expression on her face perfectly captures shock, bewilderment, pain, and loss all at the same time, as she realizes the man she knew--and probably loved--is gone for good.

cheers,

Gabe

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #582 on: 11 May 2014, 20:05:39 »
If they did intend for her to fall in love with the Doctor...that would actually ruin the character for me. I reason why I liked her was that she didn't seem to be in love with him. Had affection for him certainly, but not love.

I can't tell you how tired I am of the way the revived series has been insisting that the only way they can justify having a female companion is if she falls in love with him. Why I enjoyed Donna's time so much. They were just best mates, nothing else going on. No need for anything else to go on. And that's why I found Amy so annoying.

Why do we need that aspect? The classic series didn't need it. The only classic companions I can think of that had feelings for the Doctor were Jo, Romana and maybe Peri.

Can't we have one that's just a friend relationship? Or maybe the teacher/student like Hartnell had at the beginning or 7 and Ace?

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #583 on: 12 May 2014, 02:29:07 »
If they did intend for her to fall in love with the Doctor...that would actually ruin the character for me. I reason why I liked her was that she didn't seem to be in love with him. Had affection for him certainly, but not love.

Reactions like that are probably why they cut that scene. :P

I can't tell you how tired I am of the way the revived series has been insisting that the only way they can justify having a female companion is if she falls in love with him. Why I enjoyed Donna's time so much. They were just best mates, nothing else going on. No need for anything else to go on. And that's why I found Amy so annoying.

Why do we need that aspect? The classic series didn't need it. The only classic companions I can think of that had feelings for the Doctor were Jo, Romana and maybe Peri.

Can't we have one that's just a friend relationship? Or maybe the teacher/student like Hartnell had at the beginning or 7 and Ace?

I think it's going to have to be that way from now on, now that the Doctor clearly looks old enough to be Clara's father.  Personally, I felt the romantic affection only went one way.  The Doctor looked at and treated Clara more like a cute kid sister, and eventually a daughter as he aged during the Siege of Trenzalore.  I think he learned his lesson with the Rose/Martha experience, and was why he insisted on having Rory along with Amy, even if Rory was frequently just comic relief.
(though you can get into a whole bunch of issues with River being Amy's daughter and whatnot...)

And it's been implied previously that Sarah Jane and the Fourth Doctor had more than just platonic feelings for each other--that was one of the reasons why he abandoned her.

cheers,

Gabe

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #584 on: 17 May 2014, 12:07:06 »
A little bit of a mash-up:

That...would actually be pretty epic...  ;D O0

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #585 on: 18 May 2014, 13:56:17 »
 YA!! That would be very epic. My only question is which doctor would you use for that epic stand?

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #586 on: 18 May 2014, 19:41:43 »
The War Doctor...

;)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #587 on: 19 May 2014, 10:15:00 »
Needs some humor so it would have to be the Fouth Doctor.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #588 on: 29 June 2014, 22:47:21 »
Arise Whovians!, a promo for the new season Doctor Who has been posted.

Here!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #589 on: 29 June 2014, 23:04:34 »
Cool!! Just a few days before my birthday. Awesome. ;D

I can't wait. (I just hope we get better stories, the last couple years have been rather dull and unmemorable.)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #590 on: 30 June 2014, 01:50:05 »
Yeah,whole Matt Smith run seems more like a collection of fanfics than a real show....
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #591 on: 30 June 2014, 01:59:03 »
So...any thoughts on the upcoming world tour?

(A world tour.  Whatever happened to "I got too big" ?)

cheers,

Gabe

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #592 on: 30 June 2014, 03:01:25 »
Yeah,whole Matt Smith run seems more like a collection of fanfics than a real show....

Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way.
It's odd though...Moffet can and does write brilliant Doctor Who ("Blink" anybody?)...just not since taking hold of the reins...

So...any thoughts on the upcoming world tour?

(A world tour.  Whatever happened to "I got too big" ?)

cheers,

Gabe

World Tour? You lost me...
What's up with a world tour?

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #593 on: 30 June 2014, 11:54:43 »
Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels that way.
It's odd though...Moffet can and does write brilliant Doctor Who ("Blink" anybody?)...just not since taking hold of the reins...

More and more, I feel like I'm the only one on this forum who will actually remember the Smith years fondly.
While I agree some of the stories were a bit lacking (OK, "Nightmare In Silver" was pretty crappy), I hold to my opinion on my preference for Matt Smith's characterization of the Doctor, as opposed to Tennant's and Eccleston's.
Especially the way he went out in "The Time of The Doctor"--Tennant's farewell just seemed so petulant and immature by comparison.

World Tour? You lost me...
What's up with a world tour?

You mean, you hadn't heard?

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/06/doctor-who-world-tour.html

cheers,

Gabe

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #594 on: 30 June 2014, 13:06:38 »
Don't worry, I'm with you on the Smith front.  Some of the arc storylines fell flat, but I'd rate his era overall higher than the last couple of years of David Tennant's for sure.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #595 on: 30 June 2014, 13:12:13 »
@gyedid.

I don't have any problem with Smith's Doctor. I liked him, I think he is fantastic. Just like all of the ones before him. I just don't think he had many good stories to support him. That and I just got annoyed with Moffet bashing us over the head with melodrama. I mean, seriously, how many times did Amy or Rory die? A companions death should be a major thing. Look at Adric's. Or Donna's (I know, I know). But by the time they finally did leave, I have to be honest and say I was relieved to finally see them go.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's not a problem with Smith for me...just with the writing of the stories he had during his tenure. I don't know...can't really explain how I feel about them. It's like...Moffet tried to make everything far too epic and every episode a blockbuster, and they simply collapsed from the weight. To me at least, the best stories of those series are the small ones.

Actually...I think that was a great way for Tennant to go out. Because that fit his character. He was petulant and immature. People forget that. But it does show though at times. One of the biggest is the way he treated Martha. He was basically just leading her on...
Though I will say Eccleston wouldn't have been so quick to fight and kill as Smith was.

(By the way, my favorite Doctor is Sylvester McCoy.

And your link doesn't work.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #596 on: 30 June 2014, 19:05:58 »
Tennant's Doctor was "forever" separated from the woman he'd grown to love.  Yeah...he was pissed...

As for Smith...yeah...I do like his DOCTOR.  He brought more carefree joy to the character than either of the other two.  The others had elements of it.  "The Doctor Dances" and stuff like that.  But I too was happy to see Amy and Rory leave.  Too much...whatever...there.  And as noted above, every story tried to be epic and therefore brought them all down.

The new companion I actually rank up with Rose and I can't wait to see what the new Doctor does.  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #597 on: 30 June 2014, 19:55:52 »
I've been thinking about it today and I think I know what it is. Moffet's favorite era of the classic series was when John Nathan-Turner was in charge. Mid-eighties. And I feel the exact same way about many of those stories as well.Some cool ideas, but overall stories are a bit "meh". So maybe Moffet is emulating JNT?

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #598 on: 30 June 2014, 20:52:44 »
I've been thinking about it today and I think I know what it is. Moffet's favorite era of the classic series was when John Nathan-Turner was in charge. Mid-eighties. And I feel the exact same way about many of those stories as well.Some cool ideas, but overall stories are a bit "meh". So maybe Moffet is emulating JNT?

JNT is reviled in some quarters as The Man Who Killed Doctor Who.  Emulating him wouldn't be a wise move IMO.
But I'd be inclined to agree with your assessment, given the way Moffatt continually references 80s storylines.  (Like, how many people except long-time fans of the classic series would've picked up on the Five Doctors reference in "The Time of The Doctor"?  Worst sort of fanboyism if you ask me.)

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #599 on: 30 June 2014, 20:56:59 »
And your link doesn't work.

But I was just looking at that page when I copied the link in...

cheers,

Gabe

Register