Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147490 times)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #600 on: 30 June 2014, 22:00:35 »
Moffat's problem is he's too big a fan.  Too many moments devoted to showing off, either by a display by the Doctor (in the Pandorica Opens, or the one with the giant Star Monster) or by someone talkng about him, just how great and important the Doctor is.  He was turned from unknown (in the Classic Era), to a Universe Wide Fairytale (the Davies Era), to a wildly popular Superstar.  And it brought the show down.  Combined with Moffat's seeming ignorance as to what teh word "continuity" means it almost ruined the feel of the show for me.  Smith's performance was all that saved it (well, and having a hot redhead to look at...).
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #601 on: 04 July 2014, 20:19:45 »
You know, Classic Who often gets a bad rap for having a really low budget, but the early years were actually quite good. Of course there are some missteps, but Hartnel's era generally very good. Of course B&W filming is much more forgiving than color.
For example I'd cite "The Aztecs" as one of the best produced stories of the era. As well as "The Romans".

Oddly enough my favorites of then are the pure historical episodes. Something I'd like to see return. Would give the show a bit more depth instead of the formaliac monster-of-the-week.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #602 on: 04 July 2014, 23:40:26 »
Don't know if anyone else has seen these or not, but here up some teasers for the new series:

"Am I a good man?"

"I see into your soul Doctor..."

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #603 on: 05 July 2014, 02:49:53 »
You know, Classic Who often gets a bad rap for having a really low budget, but the early years were actually quite good. Of course there are some missteps, but Hartnel's era generally very good. Of course B&W filming is much more forgiving than color.
For example I'd cite "The Aztecs" as one of the best produced stories of the era. As well as "The Romans".

Oddly enough my favorites of then are the pure historical episodes. Something I'd like to see return. Would give the show a bit more depth instead of the formaliac monster-of-the-week.
That would be a welcome change.  Especially if it means the monsters that were really scary their first appearance, and have now become just this side of a "ho-hum, them again" - like the weeping Angels - don't get an episode because of that selection.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #604 on: 05 July 2014, 03:18:05 »
Yeah, some of the enemies are overused.  And the bad writing under Moffat isnt helping.

Weeping Angeks under Davies: cool and scary.  Weeping Angels under Moffat:  eh, wake me up if I doze off...or not. 
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #605 on: 05 July 2014, 16:05:46 »
Don't know if anyone else has seen these or not, but here up some teasers for the new series:

"Am I a good man?"

"I see into your soul Doctor..."

I had seen the "Am I a good man?" trailer several times, but the above link was the first time I saw the "I see into your soul Doctor..." trailer...thank you...

And you know what irks me? Call me behind the times, but I do not own a Blue Ray player...so I got really ticked off when I saw that Best Buy had the blue ray version of season 5 (Matt Smith's first season, and the only season I do not yet own from the new series) for $20, but the DVD version is still priced at $70 there...

ARGH!

[madflame] [tickedoff] [metalhealth]

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #606 on: 05 July 2014, 16:09:56 »
I had seen the "Am I a good man?" trailer several times, but the above link was the first time I saw the "I see into your soul Doctor..." trailer...thank you...

And you know what irks me? Call me behind the times, but I do not own a Blue Ray player...so I got really ticked off when I saw that Best Buy had the blue ray version of season 5 (Matt Smith's first season, and the only season I do not yet own from the new series) for $20, but the DVD version is still priced at $70 there...

ARGH!

[madflame] [tickedoff] [metalhealth]

Ruger

I know, riiiight? Go to Barnes and Noble to look at DVDs of the classic era and they're $40-$70 for one DVD. It's ridiculous. None of the other BBC shows there are quite so bad. (Though they are still marked up.) They're comparatively priced, but because of the £ to $ conversion...they go up double.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #607 on: 05 July 2014, 16:22:23 »
I know, riiiight? Go to Barnes and Noble to look at DVDs of the classic era and they're $40-$70 for one DVD. It's ridiculous. None of the other BBC shows there are quite so bad. (Though they are still marked up.) They're comparatively priced, but because of the £ to $ conversion...they go up double.

Oh, I know...that's why most of my older serial DVD's were purchased used or with a large discount sale or special...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #608 on: 05 July 2014, 16:35:26 »
Oh, I know...that's why most of my older serial DVD's were purchased used or with a large discount sale or special...

Ruger

Oddly enough...according to their website they're priced $10-$25 (for most of them). But if you go in to the actual store...they're way more than that....

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #609 on: 05 July 2014, 17:46:32 »
Oddly enough...according to their website they're priced $10-$25 (for most of them). But if you go in to the actual store...they're way more than that....

Hadn't noticed that before...but I do see something else that doesn't make sense to me on there...they have the "War Games" DVD (10 thirty minute episodes) priced at $90+...but the "E-Space Trilogy" (12 thirty minute episodes) is less than $50, and the "Black Guardian" trilogy (also 12 thirty minute episodes) is just over $58...

How does that make sense?

???

Ruger

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #610 on: 05 July 2014, 21:57:44 »
How about Key to Time?  ~10 hours total, runs around $120-200.  Though they have some shorter ones at reasonable prices.  The first three episodes (Unearthly Child, the Daleks and Edge of Destruction), The 3 Doctors and The 5 Doctors are around $20-25.

Live Long and Prosper

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #611 on: 05 July 2014, 23:02:55 »
I swear that sounds like Davros to me in that second trailer; which would be kind of cool in my opinion. I have heard rumors that the "Master" is set to return as well
To End is to Begin; therefore there are no Endings, only Beginnings

Peace without Liberty is Oppression with Clothing

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #612 on: 06 July 2014, 00:48:40 »
@ GreenDragon: Try looking in their website. It might be cheaper.

@Darth Nichos: Its Davros. Capaldi basically demanded a Dalek episode.
As for the Master...unless Moffet is going to completely ignore "The End of Time", the Master pretty much has to return. The only question...is who will he be played by. (And hopefully he will return to his more traditional menacing self. Simms just never felt like the Master to me.)

(Actually, I watched that three part arc that finished Martha's season...and have to say, the last two episodes were absolutely absurd. I think that is about the silly low point of the show.)

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #613 on: 06 July 2014, 02:49:26 »

As for the Master...unless Moffet is going to completely ignore "The End of Time", the Master pretty much has to return. The only question...is who will he be played by. (And hopefully he will return to his more traditional menacing self. Simms just never felt like the Master to me.)

(Actually, I watched that three part arc that finished Martha's season...and have to say, the last two episodes were absolutely absurd. I think that is about the silly low point of the show.)
Responding to the bolded statement.  Another good example of the good in small doses, but less so with repetition.  Especially when the second time involved multiple copies.  Particularly weird is that, each of them is the Master - with all the ego that entails - but the Master that used to be PotUS still acted like PotUS, and the one that used to be a housewife still acted like a housewife.  As opposed to each one vying for supreme, personal, power.

Live Long and Prosper

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #614 on: 06 July 2014, 07:23:59 »
How about Key to Time?  ~10 hours total, runs around $120-200.  Though they have some shorter ones at reasonable prices.  The first three episodes (Unearthly Child, the Daleks and Edge of Destruction), The 3 Doctors and The 5 Doctors are around $20-25.

I got the Key to Time series for far less...think I bought a used boxed set...

Ruger

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #615 on: 06 July 2014, 12:23:40 »

The Master will be played by Charles Dance, who up until a few weeks ago played Tywin Lannister on _Game of Thrones_.  What remains to be seen is whether it'll be a new regeneration, as with the Doctor, or simply an aged version of John Simm's "Mad-ster".

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #616 on: 06 July 2014, 12:26:15 »
The Master will be played by Charles Dance, who up until a few weeks ago played Tywin Lannister on _Game of Thrones_.  What remains to be seen is whether it'll be a new regeneration, as with the Doctor, or simply an aged version of John Simm's "Mad-ster".

cheers,

Gabe

That's mere rumor at this point...so I wouldn't put too much stock into it until the BBC officially says one way or another.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #617 on: 06 July 2014, 12:28:14 »

Really?  Despite what you said up-thread, you actually don't think the low point was among Matt Smith's stories? :P

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #618 on: 07 July 2014, 19:14:42 »
Really?  Despite what you said up-thread, you actually don't think the low point was among Matt Smith's stories? :P

cheers,

Gabe

Everyone has a favourite Doctor. But everyone has a Doctor they don't like. There are people who love Matt
Smith, and people who cannot stand Tom Baker. I liked Smith's Doctor, but was not too thrilled with Eccleston.
Then again, I don't think Eccleston really had enough time in the role for people to get used to him.

And, honestly, I think dissing on one Doctor or another's is really not very polite(at best). I know some people
could take attacks on their favourite Doctor as a personal attack(because, you know, fans are like that). That
said, personally, I have come to really like Hartnell's Doctor, and wish we had more like him, instead of all the
Troughton/Pertwee/Baker I inspiration.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #619 on: 07 July 2014, 23:46:55 »
I like all the Doctors really.  The show writers....not necessarily.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #620 on: 08 July 2014, 00:11:13 »
I never got into Smith as the Doctor. Mainly because of how the show looked with his newest companion and her sidekick. Tennant I liked as he has his crazy momments and most of his companions I remember were more down to earth and not using T&A for extra male viewers (seriously, loved Donna but she wasn't made out to be a skimpy harlot and had more plain jane to her).

Favorite Dr for me was Dr #4. Any one remember him? I spent a lot of time watching Dr Who, Star Trek, and Incredible Hulk growing up. My gandfather was a sci-fi junky though I got my start with the premiere of Star Wars in 78.

If anyone doesn't have netflix and hasn't seen the older Who series it can be found there. Forget how much they have, but I know they have em as well as the newer shows. Might be worth the free trial to have a week long Dr Who binge. ;)  O0

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #621 on: 08 July 2014, 00:24:33 »
I've watched all that Netflix has to offer for Doctor Who.  I do wish they had more as I did kind of like Pertwee but I still like Tennant best because I watched him do more with a facial expression then any of the others could do in several lines of dialogue.  Smith isn't my least favorite Doctor either though.

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #622 on: 08 July 2014, 00:39:43 »

cheers,

Gabe

I think you are misinterpretting what  I was trying to say. I never said I disliked Matt Smith or his Doctor. (In fact I explicitly said otherwise.) However, I do have issues with the writing of the show during his run. Precisely because there were some really awesome ideas during that era. However, on the whole I feel that the writing didn't live up to the promise (so to speak).
I find it hard to explain how I feel l about the last few series. I don't hate them...but, I don't love them either...I guess, I always feel anti-climatic when I watch them. They always seem to promise so much...and I never feel that they quite lived up to it. Take the 50th Anniversary for example. I was really looking forward to that one. And it was a good story....just not for the 50th. Honestly, except for those two scenes at the end (with the 13 Doctors and then with the museum curator), it didn't feel like any sort of celebration. Yeah sure, it had two Doctors...but to me...it felt like they ran out of time and squished two episodes together into one. It was cool seeing the Zygons again, and it was awesome to have the War Doctor...however, it just felt like the stories would have been better served if they had been done as two separate episodes.
I guess that's my main complaint: Moffet just tries to be two epic...puts too much into a story. And you can tell when he has a knock-out story because it is generally very low key. "Vincent and the Doctor" for example.
I am critical of his run, maybe too much I admit. But it's not out of a spirit of meanness or hatred of Moffet. But because he brings so much promise to it, that it's a bit frustrating to see it fall short. (At least IMHO.)

And on the other hand, I don't hold the Davies era up on a pedestal. Eccleston's series was okay, they were still getting on their feet. The second series was a bit wobbly, but getting there. The third series...as much as I liked Martha (She was far superior to Rose in every way), there were a lot of misses in there. The fourth series...I have to admit, I feel this was the high point of the show. When you only have two weakish stories ("The Sontaran Stratagem"/"The Poison Sky"), that's pretty good. Then the year of special's..."The Next Doctor" is pretty good. "Planet of the Dead"...well, a good not-quite-companion, though the rest of the story was meh. "The Waters of Mars" was fantastic. "The End of Time"...two words: Timothy Dalton.

Out of all of the Smith stories, I think I like the ones with Clara best. I don't know...they just feel more...right.

(EDIT: If all of that is still incomprehinable....it's 12:40 in the morning and I've been up since 6 AM yesterday....)

HULU has some of the Classic series as well. Have to watch commercials though...

What I want to know is why can't either one show more of McCoy's stories? He's my favorite...
(And I was telling someone about "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy". They haaate clowns.)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2014, 00:42:35 by YingJanshi »

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #623 on: 08 July 2014, 00:53:18 »
I agree.

Something about Clara felt more right to me when it comes to Smith's doctor.  Just the low key way she talked to him.

In many ways I think her scenes in the 50th Anniversary and Smith's final episode really nailed her as a character.  And the way she stopped him in his tracks with just a few words.  I think they worked together and gelled very well as a team.  I will be interested in seeing how she and the new doctor work together.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #624 on: 08 July 2014, 01:09:26 »
A few musings.....

1) I think the Big Finish audios are great. Yes, there are a few stinkers ("Minute in Hell" comes to mind), but there are some great ones, and I think Colin Baker's Doctor gets some things he didn't during his TV stint --- Some good stories, his own companions and strong character development. The same for Paul McGann audios. (If ayone saw the mini-episode that saw the 8th Doctor regenerate into the War Doctor, where he calls out to his companions --- they were all audio adventure characters.) And now with Tom Baker doing a few audio adventures, it's a great way to get you classic doctors fix.

2) DVDs -- there's a certain store that has a website that carries everything Doctor Who. prices are better than the big box. Won't drop a link here, but there's enough info here to figure it out (I think they might be at Gencon, seeing as Indy's where the store is), Try there and see.

3) Matt Smith --- I liked his Doctor, but all the Doctors have something I liked about them, even Colin Baker's. I looking forward to Peter Capaldi's Doctor and see what he brings to the role.

4) Oh, and apparently some idiot managed to get ahold of the five or so of the scripts for the new season and has been posting them around. I hope they track whoever did it and string him up for Dalek target pratice......

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #625 on: 08 July 2014, 05:02:33 »
ERASIATE!
ERASIATE!
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #626 on: 14 July 2014, 02:08:57 »
New trailer is up
http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=q6Yh0oBoKso

T-Rex stampeding London!

Darth Nichos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #627 on: 14 July 2014, 23:39:59 »
Oops my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Does anyone else think the thing in :43 looks like Omega?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #628 on: 14 July 2014, 23:54:29 »
Oops my bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TivqZTq5u6Y

Does anyone else think the thing in :43 looks like Omega?

Got to love a T-Rex walking thru London!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #629 on: 15 July 2014, 00:03:29 »

Got to love a T-Rex walking thru London!!

But no Brigadier this time... :'(

Register