Author Topic: Unified Doctor Who thread  (Read 147491 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: Unified Doctor Who thread
« Reply #930 on: 06 November 2014, 01:58:47 »

(Of course I'm still waiting for that Captain Jack/River Song spin-off show... :D :D :D Can you imagine the sparks? :D)

Of friction, as they fight over the Doctor!  ;D  ;D

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #931 on: 08 November 2014, 22:21:23 »
Poor Osgood.   :'(
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #932 on: 08 November 2014, 22:50:26 »
not impressed with the season ending.

overall, this season with Cipaldi: very, very unimpressed.

what is BBC trying to do? product crap for ScyFy to rerun?

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #933 on: 09 November 2014, 11:59:31 »
Poor Osgood.   :'(

That was almost painful...

Definitely loved the tributes to the Brigadier...and Kate's introduction of herself to the Cybermen was bloody brilliant...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #934 on: 09 November 2014, 12:24:48 »
I'm still without a clue about what the Doctor found at the end of the show.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #935 on: 09 November 2014, 14:57:42 »
I guess I'm the only one that wasn't in any way affected by Osgood's death. To me she was never an actual character, but simply a forgettable caricature of the fans from a forgettable episode.

It might be because this was simply the "resolution" half of a two partner, but I found it rather flat. Certainly compared to the tension of last week's. The tribute to the Brig was great, as was seeing Kate again. Hopefully she and UNIT will be back for more episodes. (Though....nuWho hasn't really been very nice to UNIT).

I'm still without a clue about what the Doctor found at the end of the show.

No Gallifrey.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #936 on: 09 November 2014, 16:37:26 »
Yeah not a great ender but it certainly did have some moments that I liked.

Kate and her dad was a nice touch but I think my favorite was the stinger.  Got a good laugh out of me.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #937 on: 09 November 2014, 16:59:58 »
And at this point Julia Deakin, Katy Carmichael and Mark Heap are the only Spaced alumni yet to appear in Doctor Who.
« Last Edit: 09 November 2014, 17:08:08 by Lorcan Nagle »
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #938 on: 09 November 2014, 20:05:11 »
I finally got a chance to watch the two part season finale today and (unlike a lot of people it seems) I really liked them.  Some excitement, some fansquee, even some emotion. 

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I was quite surprised by the revelation that Missy was The Master.  The whole giving control of the Cybermen to the Doctor was I thought a cool idea in light of the Doctor's ongoing moral dilemma this season.

I never particularly cared for either Clara or her relationship with Danny Pink, but I still got a bit caught up in the emotions of him being a Cyberman, saving her, and in the end not coming back in favor of the boy he accidentally killed in the war.

The irony of both the Doctor and Clara, giving up their relationship under the false impression that they were doing the other a favor so their friend could be happy was probably the first time I actually felt anything for Clara beside mild annoyance.  ;) 

Now, I'll just have to wait for more...  :'(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #939 on: 09 November 2014, 20:54:06 »
I finally got a chance to watch the two part season finale today and (unlike a lot of people it seems) I really liked them.  Some excitement, some fansquee, even some emotion. 

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I was quite surprised by the revelation that Missy was The Master.  The whole giving control of the Cybermen to the Doctor was I thought a cool idea in light of the Doctor's ongoing moral dilemma this season.

At least the Doctor has morals.  Though it probably didn't occur to the Master/Mistress after all these years that the best way of ruling the universe is being an idiot and not wanting to (or having no desire to) rule the universe.

Wait, didn't they cover that on Pinky and the Brain once?
:P

That said, I liked the episode, and I don't mean to sound harsh with my spoiler.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #940 on: 09 November 2014, 22:18:45 »
No Gallifrey.

I think that was just half of it, actually. The remaining half, I believe, was that *THIS* Doctor found himself vulnerable enough [or perhaps, desperate enough] to take Missy's "conviction" that she'd found Gallifrey, seriously.

In other words, I do think he was starting to accept that Missy was telling the truth. Forgetting the one cardinal rule when it comes to dealing with Time Lords... that they almost always lie.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #941 on: 09 November 2014, 22:23:47 »
I actually quite suspect Missy/The Master told a half truth.  Gallifrey hasn't moved, why would it?  But it is still in another dimension and thus quite inaccessible.

mathesont

• Lieutenant
« Reply #942 on: 10 November 2014, 02:02:42 »
A dismal end to a dismal season.  And the teaser for the Christmas Special actually made my wife groan - visiting relatives might be a better option for once. 

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #943 on: 10 November 2014, 08:52:24 »
Has there been a deliberate choice to make the fans hate Clara this season? Did the actress irritate show writers at the end of last season? The character seems to be very inconsistent with last season, and written o be deliberately unlikeable and foolish.

I feel a little let down by the build up. I wanted to see the use of many of those who died and were 'greeted' by Missi in earlier episodes. But there was a lot I enjoyed. I'm ok with the Doctor, but the failings of the proper use of the Companion and Villain made it well, not bad, just nto as good as it could have been.

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #944 on: 10 November 2014, 15:52:15 »
Not impressed.  Missy was almost tolerab!e, but other than that whole thing was a whole lot of blah.

And leave it to Moffat, he finally has the balls to kill a cbaracter, and it's one of the few of his I actually liked.  Its almost like hewants people to stop watching the show.
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #945 on: 10 November 2014, 21:00:06 »
Has there been a deliberate choice to make the fans hate Clara this season? Did the actress irritate show writers at the end of last season? The character seems to be very inconsistent with last season, and written o be deliberately unlikeable and foolish.

Really? I've found her much more interesting and have more depth to her character than she did last season. Last season it was almost like she was just the Doctor's pet. He wasn't really interest in HER, just in the mystery ABOUT her. This season she actually feels like a real person now. Reacting in real ways to the stuff the Doctor pulls. Not just going about in blind faith like companions really do. She has the guys to call the Doctor out when she feels the need to. (Such as the Doctor abandoning her during "Kill the Moon".) The only other companions I can think of that did that were Romana, Ace and Donna (such as "Fires of Pompeii".) Personally I find Clara to be the best female character that Moffet has created. (Amy wasn't really very interesting. Basically what a 14 year old boy would write as a character and the less said of River Song the better...)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #946 on: 10 November 2014, 21:21:26 »
I haven't seen enough of Romana and Ace to say where I'd rate Clara as a companion versus them but versus the ones I have seen enough of I'd say she's more of a character than Amy for sure but only just but Donna Noble is easily a more developed character.

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #947 on: 11 November 2014, 00:25:45 »
Not impressed.  Missy was almost tolerab!e, but other than that whole thing was a whole lot of blah.

And leave it to Moffat, he finally has the balls to kill a cbaracter, and it's one of the few of his I actually liked.  Its almost like hewants people to stop watching the show.

Maybe he killed the spare.

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #948 on: 11 November 2014, 00:29:14 »
Are you talking about Danny?  I thought overall he was just a walking plot device, there to feed Clara prompts about how she should feel about the Doctor and highlight the whole issue of Clara being "addicted" to traveling with the Doctor.  Overall, his whole relationship with Clara seemed forced and unrealistic and I don't think they ever really justified the "love" that she felt for him in the finale.  The season finale was the closest I came to actually caring about him, and that was not all that close.   ;)

Slight digression, what happened to that supposed descendant of Danny Pink in Listen?  There was no suggestion that Clara was pregnant at the end of this season AFAIK, and no suggestion that he might have children from a previous relationship, either.  So, how did he have a descendant?   ???

I haven't seen enough of Romana and Ace to say where I'd rate Clara as a companion versus them but versus the ones I have seen enough of I'd say she's more of a character than Amy for sure but only just but Donna Noble is easily a more developed character.
I don't know what it was, but I never warmed to Clara.  She seemed to alternate between plot device and grating distraction from the story.  I actually liked Amy a bit more, but I'll admit I wasn't a truly dedicated viewer of her run on the show and probably only caught half her episodes, often out of chronological order.  I know I was much sadder to see Amy disappear in The Angels Take Manhattan than I was to see Clara walk away in Death in Heaven.

Maybe I just like redheads better.   ;D
« Last Edit: 11 November 2014, 00:35:27 by mdauben »
Mike

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #949 on: 11 November 2014, 02:35:12 »
I'm shocked that with Companions coming back from the grave, that Moffatt didn't have Amy and Rory Williams show up.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #950 on: 11 November 2014, 09:38:15 »
Slight digression, what happened to that supposed descendant of Danny Pink in Listen?  There was no suggestion that Clara was pregnant at the end of this season AFAIK, and no suggestion that he might have children from a previous relationship, either.  So, how did he have a descendant?   ???

I don't know what it was, but I never warmed to Clara.  She seemed to alternate between plot device and grating distraction from the story.  I actually liked Amy a bit more, but I'll admit I wasn't a truly dedicated viewer of her run on the show and probably only caught half her episodes, often out of chronological order.  I know I was much sadder to see Amy disappear in The Angels Take Manhattan than I was to see Clara walk away in Death in Heaven.

Maybe I just like redheads better.   ;D

In reverse order:

I think it is because Clara in her own way was a worse 14 year old boy's fantasy than Amy was but only slightly more redeemable because she did actually have a few moments where she did stand up to the Doctor.

My personal theory is that what we saw in Listen is not a genetic descendant of Danny Pink but the unnamed boy he sent back taking the Pink name.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #951 on: 11 November 2014, 10:52:28 »
I'm shocked that with Companions coming back from the grave, that Moffatt didn't have Amy and Rory Williams show up.

Or Sarah Jane for that matter  :D

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #952 on: 11 November 2014, 12:04:00 »
Or Sarah Jane for that matter  :D

cheers,

Gabe

That would be rather difficult.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

YingJanshi

• Major
« Reply #953 on: 11 November 2014, 13:20:42 »
That would be rather difficult.

No more than it was the Brig....

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #954 on: 11 November 2014, 14:17:20 »
Actually that is a good question.  I haven't seen anything that actually says what the fate of the Sarah Jane character was after the actress passed.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #955 on: 11 November 2014, 20:31:47 »

My personal theory is that what we saw in Listen is not a genetic descendant of Danny Pink but the unnamed boy he sent back taking the Pink name.

I was thinking the same thing.  He probably adopted the "Pink" name in tribute of Danny.
Five rounds, rapid!

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #956 on: 11 November 2014, 21:06:29 »

Actually, there was.

If you go over the Post-It notes in Clara's apartment that she was planning to show Danny (which several fan sites have done), you'll see one of them says "three months". 

But, if that were the case, you would've expected her to be much more cut up over Danny's demise, and not be so eager to throw herself into danger with the Doctor again...

Then again, Christmas is supposed to be a time for new birth...

cheers,

Gabe

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #957 on: 12 November 2014, 10:55:15 »
I'm going to watch the finale again before giving a full opinion, but I will say that on the whole, it did NOT live up to the setup of "Dark Water".

One thing I DID like though:  Michelle Gomez.  She is a revelation as the new Mad-ster.  Totally blows John Simm out of the water, and the way in which she disposed of Osgood makes her easily the most heinous, odious version of the character since...well...maybe ever!
Notice when she did that, she was affecting an accent similar to Karen Gillan's?

I hope she plays the role for many years to come.  Who needs Charles Dance? :P

cheers,

Gabe

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #958 on: 12 November 2014, 13:41:57 »
I think it is because Clara in her own way was a worse 14 year old boy's fantasy than Amy was but only slightly more redeemable because she did actually have a few moments where she did stand up to the Doctor.
I'm not quite sure if you are suggesting I have the reactions of a 14 year old boy, or not...?   ;D

Just to explain, I often found Clara annoying and/or distracting from the episodes storyline in ways that Amy never did.  To me, the only real exception was Flatline where Clara actually shined.  I also thought the Amy/Rory relationship was much better developed and believable than the Clara/Danny one.  I could believe Amy would sacrifice herself to be with Rory, not so much with Clara and Danny.

But he looked like Danny Pink, which makes no sense if he was some random kid Pink was unrelated to. 
Mike

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #959 on: 12 November 2014, 20:35:45 »
I'm one of those really weird people who saw Clara before Amy.

I never saw the Matt Smith episodes on first run since my Cable company doesn't have BBC America.  The first Matt Smith episode I saw was the 50th Anniversary Episode, followed by the last Episode of the Matt Smith run.  And in those two episodes we saw a Clara that understood the Doctor, who called the Doctor on his errors, and who was willing to tell the Time Lords what was going on when the Doctor wouldn't say a word to them.  In those episodes she was the perfect companion in my opinion.

Amy never reached those levels in her run in all the episodes I've seen since.  Of course, I can't watch the current run because my Cable company doesn't have BBC America.  So I can't see how she does in this run...:(
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Register