Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Ground Combat / Re: The Value of an AC/2
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 19:46:52 »
I have had a couple of occasions where I have had some AC2 nick me with a CT TAC and take out my gyro.  very irritating.

That's what I'd call 'the bonus' rather than the point of the weapon.  The 'point' of the weapon, is to cheaply degrade an enemy unit's capability at long enough range that by the time he can shoot back, he's vulnerable in ways he didn't expect to be when he dropped onto the field.

If you've ever run an "Ironman" series of engagements, where the only thing you can restock between sessions is ammo, this becomes readily apparent.  Pre-existing damage to elimination can really highlight  how 'lesser weapons' can become decisive advantages.
Aerospace Combat / Re: Fleet Recon
« Last post by Lagrange on Today at 19:41:51 »
For fleet recon, maybe the following approach?

(a) Model "97" Octopus + Scout jumps in very far out.
(b) Octopus attaches to Scout as a tug and accelerates at 0.5g inbound while Scout recharges from fuel (using extra fuel from Octopus as necessary).
(c) Octopus releases a number of recon satellites.  Satellites spread out.
(d) Octopus reattaches to Scout's dropcollar and coasts at high delta-v using passive sensors only through the system.
(e) Satellites transmit all info to coasting Octoscout.
(f) Octoscout runs into a jump point at high speed and jumps out to the fleets location.

At the moment of the jump, the Octoscout has as good of a picture as is feasible in the volume around the jump point. 

Aerospace Combat / Re: Fleet Recon
« Last post by Cannonshop on Today at 19:33:19 »
I agree about 50% with you.

Well, that's a start.

I agree that this would cover the bulk of the missions you wouldn't do by having people simply travel to the target planet to do observation in person.

which is the bulk of your intelligence gathering and analysis, really.  For instance, knowing where to send your agents is helpful.  But in military terms, learning what the enemy actually does, versus what he's telling his units to do, is also very useful-and can only be established through observation.  An agent on the ground can look at the documents if they're super-awesomely-godlike good, but most aren't.  Agents in Moskow have missed important activities and actions in Belarus or Khazakhstan during the cold war, only to have those things found by observers flying out of Turkey, or by watching ship movements for changes along the baltic or other coasts.  Human beings are creatures of pattern and repetition, six months of observations delivered a month after can be worth MORE than trying to interpret an event or action you learned about yesterday because the document finally got to you.

I think there is meaningful disagreement on 2 points:

- Sometimes, you're in a big hurry to get information right now. A slowboat mission could take weeks, even months to get in position and gather information. Often, that's not an issue at all. But when it is, and you need your signint 5 minutes ago, you better get crafty with pirate points for insertion.

Thus, why you don't rely on any single method or source

- Secondly, even when you slowboat in, you need to have a strategy to jump out. Just because you've found a nice spot interstitial in the system somewhere doesn't mean it's also suitable to jump out of at a moment's notice. Especially if you're using some kind of satellite body somewhere to obscure direct observation. And a run back to the regular proximity limit, regardless of which direction you're aiming, could take too long. So if you're able to get the best of both worlds, you found a hidey spot that at least makes a jump out plausible.
Like anything else, that's conditional, situational, and deeply and heavily involved in mapping to work...which means your slowboat missions have to have gone first, since you have to know where to find those hidey-spots...and you have to know enough about your enemy/target to know they haven't found them ahead of you.  There's a limit to how much data James Bond can find out for you in a short amount of time, and a limit on how much he can carry out in his leg-satchel or whatever BS spy gear Q gives him.

I think we have to agree that one of the conceits of the universe is that you do have to get very close to gather anything meaningfully. In theory you can just park a satellite somewhere between the Oort cloud and the system proper, even a few light minutes away, and just hoover up all the EM that oozes out over time. But then sigint is basically just 2,000 satellites per House/faction, and their intel gathering is amazing.
We know that capability doesn't exist, so have to accept that along with crap weapon ranges and 'Mechs being king, signint requires true liability in proximity to your intended targets.

Fasanomics, Paul.  There are huge gapes or 'conceits' in the universe simply because of the blind-spots of the creators.  One recent experience was a recent creator insisting everyone goes into naval combat with the atmo drawn down to null, forgetting whole chapters of lore including Harjel, which are supposed to be better because they keep the air in.  At a certain point, all this becomes moot, because at the end of the day, the optimal design for anything is going to be something that would be crippled in a real military context. (Why have ANY cargo space on a warship, when it's not relevant to a two-mapsheet table game?)

There's what's in the game, (Zeus rifle has shotgun ranges) and there's what's in the RPG (Zeus rifle is a kilometer-distance sniper/antimateriel rifle that edges on near-invisible distance before it stops being effective).

"Aiming your guns to a distance where they can reliably hit" is different from "Seeing a planet."  see the difference here?  ONE of those, has a relevance to a two mapsheet tabletop game, the other only matters on a scale you can't fit on a tabletop.

One more thing back to the Recon issue:  Your HUMINT is limited not only by access to an enemy's infrastructure, but also by the fact your agents are handing their reports to a third party government for transmission, and that third party government has a vested interest in crippling your efforts.

Comstar.

Talk to an IT guy, and feed him some drinks, and when he's good and buzzed, ask him if there's anything that goes through his servers he can't, with some dedicated effort, crack right down to the machine code.
I guess FOMO got to me today. I ordered the the anniversary boxes and the Urbie LAM box. Gawd, I have a problem! A regiment + pledge and it’s not enough for my pile of shame.
Off Topic / Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Last post by Zematus737 on Today at 18:42:55 »
Religious discussions are one of the fastest ways to get moderators swarming on a thread.  So let's not.

Wilco.  I wouldn't want to derail a thread that has been a pleasure to keep up with. 

Anyone can continue the discussion on just how much literature has had on the post industrial/printing press world with me in private if they so wish.  PKD was a talented writer but philosophers and sophists, from Spinoza to Dawkins, have had so much of an impact on the hard sciences that you could really have a long discussion about --and turn the argument around to say that-- how it has actually stunted ethical technological advancement. This is why you see works being conceived around this time with works like Mary Shelly's, Frankenstein and Thea von Harbour's, Metropolis are given birth.  Ideas arising from dire portents also, you could say. 

But I concur.  As interesting as it is, and beyond the simplistic, ..because they were atheist! argument, this is not the place for it.
« Last post by CrossfirePilot on Today at 18:32:04 »
I have had a couple of occasions where I have had some AC2 nick me with a CT TAC and take out my gyro.  very irritating.
I received my Command Lance today.  The Orion actually looks nice!  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in with my "plastic grey" unit scheme...

It’s a very fashionable color scheme for a lot of people to ‘paint’. Why I myself have probably 250+ mechs between my Clan and IS factions ‘painted’ in that color :)

Looking forward to Without Question tomorrow.    :ready5:

Good book!
Finished ‘Without Question’ I can look in the Falcon thread again :)

No spoilers without tags…. But Clan Spaniel has a throwaway line :)

Enjoyed it!
« Last post by Arkansas Warrior on Today at 18:18:43 »
I've played with most of those mechs and the Warriors a handful of times. I enjoy the Blackjack because he's just friggin' obnoxious.
The Blackjack is also hilarious because if you do manage to close, you’ve fallen into his trap, because his four MLs are actually his primary battery.
I received my Command Lance today.  The Orion actually looks nice!  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit in with my "plastic grey" unit scheme...

my order is expected Monday ... so I presume it will arrive between Saturday and Wednesday, and then I'll get a notification it was delivered, lol.

You don't say! Well, sir ... my units (all of them!) is also plastic grey!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register