Author Topic: Hatchets under Total Warfare...Useless?  (Read 39611 times)

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
Re: Hatchets under Total Warfare...Useless?
« Reply #150 on: 01 March 2011, 10:12:51 »
While melee weapons still aren't terribly efficient or effective even with TSM, its presence does really add utility to the designs. The idea of dropping a solid 40-point hit on a single location is something no other weapon in the game can accomplish, or even come close to approximating. It removes limbs, quite simply. Even assault mechs are hurting significantly after a 40 point hit center mass.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #151 on: 03 March 2011, 06:26:05 »
In one game, I was...not telling my players it was the TSM Berserker...it also was NOT taking advantage of the speed boost, until I got a chance to charge around a corner and say howdy doody to their Rifleman IIC.  One swift ginsu motion later and that previously untouched 'Mech had just lost an arm to a forty point hit.

I always thought if you had TSM and was 'running hot' you had to tell the other player(s) and/or ref..

While melee weapons still aren't terribly efficient or effective even with TSM, its presence does really add utility to the designs. The idea of dropping a solid 40-point hit on a single location is something no other weapon in the game can accomplish, or even come close to approximating. It removes limbs, quite simply. Even assault mechs are hurting significantly after a 40 point hit center mass.

Even the 36pter from a 90 tonner with TSM and a hatchet hurts..  I have had several mechs at 90 with them who killed enemies just cause of hitting with those hatchets.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #152 on: 03 March 2011, 09:38:00 »
Even the 36pter from a 90 tonner with TSM and a hatchet hurts..  I have had several mechs at 90 with them who killed enemies just cause of hitting with those hatchets.

Well the beauty of a concentrated hit is how well it carries across the hit transfer chart. And a 36 point hit will travel far down that chart against a great many mechs. If punches and kicks didn't exist, TSM'd melee weapons would be worth their weight and crits in gold, but as it stands, a kick does it almost as well in most situations for no weight or space.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Eldragon

• Sergeant
« Reply #153 on: 03 March 2011, 10:56:26 »
I don't use hatchet mechs to land melee blows. I Use hatchet mechs to scare my opponent, forcing him to move elsewhere.  No one is going to come harass my LRM Carriers so long as I have a Hatchetman standing guard nearby.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #154 on: 03 March 2011, 23:43:09 »
I don't use hatchet mechs to land melee blows. I Use hatchet mechs to scare my opponent, forcing him to move elsewhere.  No one is going to come harass my LRM Carriers so long as I have a Hatchetman standing guard nearby.

Funny...I will....with my TSM Berserker! ;)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #155 on: 03 March 2011, 23:47:29 »
Also, AFAIK, the single most powerful attack able to be made by a 'Mech is a 100-ton mixtech beast with TSM and Talons. 60-point kicks? Yes please.

I looked it up, and the combination of TSM and Talons will make sure that any mech smaller than the kicker will be instantly legged, as will any one with less than maximum leg armour. Mean.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #156 on: 04 March 2011, 00:12:03 »
If by powerful you mean all in one location. Otherwise there are some charges out there that do more.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 04 March 2011, 00:18:25 »
True. MASC/Supercharger/XXLFE and any weight-saving things possible, stick as powerful an engine as possible on. I just stuck it into SSW and got a 20-tonner charging 45 hexes. Good luck trying to find a straight line like that.

Though the near-instant legging is almost more useful, and it's a lot easier to fit on a 'mech.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #158 on: 04 March 2011, 05:10:20 »
I cna do that,
20 Ton with Endo steel, 360XXL engine with Super charger, MASC, Ferro armor and an XL gyro..  gives me a max of  45 hexes of movement..  BUT you only have half a ton of armor..  One charge and you go internal.. since you take 1/10th the mech you charge's tonnage in damage.. 

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #159 on: 04 March 2011, 05:16:15 »
I cna do that,
20 Ton with Endo steel, 360XXL engine with Super charger, MASC, Ferro armor and an XL gyro..  gives me a max of  45 hexes of movement..  BUT you only have half a ton of armor..  One charge and you go internal.. since you take 1/10th the mech you charge's tonnage in damage..

Fit a drone control system?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #160 on: 05 March 2011, 06:21:33 »
Do they even have that??  Ad would there be penalties since you are not IN the mech??

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #161 on: 05 March 2011, 22:36:58 »
I always thought if you had TSM and was 'running hot' you had to tell the other player(s) and/or ref..

I AM the GM.  ;)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #162 on: 06 March 2011, 05:15:30 »
Don't you still need to inform the opponents?

NightmareSteel

• Master Sergeant
  • Snarky pedant, extraordinaire.
« Reply #163 on: 06 March 2011, 05:16:54 »
Depends on how much of a dick you are.

Or how nasty the scenario is.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 06 March 2011, 09:17:13 »
Well...I generally say what heat I am at at the end of the phase...
Of course, I think it is more fun if the match is one of those where
all players can be trusted to not state your heat at all, and let people
have to try and keep track..but that requires alot of trust, and veteran
players.

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #165 on: 06 March 2011, 23:30:00 »
Well...I generally say what heat I am at at the end of the phase...
Of course, I think it is more fun if the match is one of those where
all players can be trusted to not state your heat at all, and let people
have to try and keep track..but that requires alot of trust, and veteran
players.

I use paper clips to track my heat (easy to slide up and down) and just leave my record sheets  plain view.

Hatchets are nice and I have several examples of them, but I prefer the sword 'Mechs. Not because I think they're super awesome efficient, solely for the fact that I think they're fun to use. Especially the Gurkha. If I'm playin' Wobblie that day, there'll be a Gurkha on the field. And a Red Shift. Always.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 07 March 2011, 00:51:25 »
I use paper clips to track my heat (easy to slide up and down) and just leave my record sheets  plain view.

Hatchets are nice and I have several examples of them, but I prefer the sword 'Mechs. Not because I think they're super awesome efficient, solely for the fact that I think they're fun to use. Especially the Gurkha. If I'm playin' Wobblie that day, there'll be a Gurkha on the field. And a Red Shift. Always.

The most hated level II I have used: 2 Gurkhas, 3 of the C3i and ER PPC Hussars, something else(irrelevant what) with a C3i
and a lot of tonnage...

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #167 on: 07 March 2011, 06:30:32 »
In tournaments, being able to check record sheets is a good idea.  It makes it harder to cheat.

If, as noted above, you are playing with people you trust and everybody knows what is going on, it can be a lot more fun to not tell everybody everything that is going on.  We don't announce  heat levels or stuff like that, and we don't examine each others' sheets.  The most we do is give general answers if a question is asked.

"How much damage does it have?"
"Oh...scattered damage all around...right torso is pretty bad.  No armor penetration yet though."

"What kind of BattleMech is that?"
"Well, it is a Rifleman, old school."

That kind of stuff.  We have to remember where we have hit it in general, and how fast it has moved and what weapons it has fired.

Fog of War.  We are even playing with using poker chips numbered and color coded for "sensor contacts" before LOS is achieved to make the Fog of War even MORE foggy.

It makes things very interesting when you don't actually know what is hiding back there, waiting for you to come around the corner.  A medium 'Mech?  Is that a Shadow Hawk or a Hunchback IIC?

}:)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Leonard Kerensky

• Sergeant
  • The smart ones know when to duck.
« Reply #168 on: 08 March 2011, 02:57:22 »

mind if i grab this idea and use it? that is actually a REALLY really good idea.
Overkill is only overkill when you cannot find the pieces.

Register