Author Topic: Speculating and Suggesting New Weapons and Tech  (Read 5684 times)

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
Speculating and Suggesting New Weapons and Tech
« on: 21 September 2020, 06:47:27 »
The BT universe has a lot going on to begin with, but it's always fun to spitball new ideas. What sort of next big thing (or rediscovered lostech thing) would you think could be a good addition to the universe?

I think railguns could be an interesting addition, furthering BT's selection of electromagnetic weaponry. Perhaps fitting into the niche between ACs and PPCs in terms of tonnage and heat.

Possible unique mechanics:
-When hit, deals crits and/or heat to the location without damaging structure, representing the capacitors zapping the inside. Mechwarrior would probably still be damaged, though perhaps a bit less than normal.

-Allowing one to cram two tons of ammo into one crit slot, to represent the density and compactness of the slugs. Kind of like a reverse of how MGs allow you to carry 1/2 ton lots of ammo.

-Rail wear. While rails can be replaced in the field, the fitting and calibration are too time-consuming and difficult to do in combat. After a certain number of shots (probably represented by a certain number of tons of ammo fired) the gun will develop a chance to fail. Perhaps after the first ton of ammo, you have to roll above 2, after the second ton, 3, etc.

-Limited armor piercing mechanics. Perhaps if the armor remaining after a shot hits is less than a certain amount (probably the shot's damage), the slug has a chance to punch through and deal crits. Perhaps the modifier on the roll is equal to half the amount of armor left rounded down, so 10 armor makes a crit impossible (-5), 8-9 armor makes it extremely unlikely (-4) while 5 armor gives a decent chance (-2), and 1 armor remaining basically lets the shot through with no modifier. Basically a lesser version of AP ammo for ACs.

-Unique range brackets- Instead of the typical 1/2/3 bracket that most weapons use, railguns might have proportionally greater medium and long ranges, representing the accuracy and aerodynamic efficiency of the projectiles. On the other hand, short range will be proportionally less due to reduced accuracy up close, akin to how long-rod penetrators on modern tank guns tend to behave. So instead of 0/6/12/18, a railgun might have 0/5/15/20 range.

A hypothetical Railgun 6 (just for uniqueness I might use 3, 6, and 9 damage brackets. I'd be hesitant to have a 12 because having an exact headchopper seems pretty ridiculous) might mass 5 tons, take up two crit slots, produce 4 heat, and have a range akin to an LB-X 5 or something.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Speculating and Suggesting New Weapons and Tech
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2020, 08:10:13 »
I think the three Gauss types would have that beat still. The tech bases to be merged and honestly if they stopped at the Clan intermediate variants and the few unique IS ones (Light, Hv Gauss, Snub PPC, Light PPC) that would cover almost everything alongside the Clan tech (and proto ACs). I don't think we need more weapons just all around better ones.

I think weirder tech should be more mainstreamed, everything has C3i or Nova CEWS gear integrated into your Comms which expands to fills the head slot. So you need to have an EW unit to stop the synergies. Specialty ammo is more common negating some of the advantages specialty armors gained during the Dark Age. The Republic begins widely fielding their Centurion super-modules (detailed in IO) to protect their Dominion from the Clans.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2020, 14:03:11 »
Heavy Laser change
Change the Heavy Lasers to lose the targeting penalty, and just make them the same tons/crits as the regular Inner Sphere Lasers.  Treat them as Clantech improvements to Inner Sphere weaponry, designed to replace the older weapons already present.

Pulse lasers = laser shotgun
Instead of getting the bonus to hit, just change pulse lasers to do more damage

Star League Tech decay
Star League tech should never be larger than the 3025 tech.  Star League tech was better, so make it smaller, cooler, more damaging, longer-ranged, etc.  This allows a GM to introduce a piece of Star League tech to a 3025 unit, and as the PCs try to maintain it using their existing gear, it steadily loses its capabilities.  The cooling jacket isn't as good, so it will run hotter.  The precise lenses aren't available, so it does less damage.  The power cabling isn't as good, so it is bulkier.  The arrays around the laser coil aren't as good, so heavier replacements are used.  The inherent targeting system is failing, so it loses range.
(This could also be used for 3025 tech, where if you don't maintain them the 3025 weapons steadily lose capabilities as well)

Constant munitions per ton
LRMs and SRMs get 120 missiles per ton of ammo.  Divide by their rating to get shots per ton of ammo.  (LRMs would not get changed, but SRM-2, 04, and -6 would get 60, 30, and 20 shots per ton of ammo)

Advanced Electronics missiles
Cost 3-4* as much as base LRM munitions, but can be used in any electronics mode.  NARC, Artemis, Streak, Copperhead, any of these modes can be used by the missiles.

Arrow IV loiter mode
Your Arrow IV missiles at max range can take up to 2 turns to hit a target map, but you are only only 1 turn away?  Set the first one to loiter over the battlefield until the second arrives, then both home in on the TAG illumination.  Both sides are notified that the Arrow IV are loitering, so the other person knows something bad is about to happen if they don't kill the TAG unit.

Cruise Missile loiter mode
As Arrow IV, but Cruise Missile/50 can take up to 10 turns to loiter (Cruise missile travel time is 1 + range in maps/5).  Think about the fun of suddenly having 10 Cruise Missile/50 hitting on the same turn.

Time on target Artillery
Using variable charges, you can have your artillery shells delay their arrival by a number of turns, up to the maximum flight time of the shells.  So if your Long Tom was at 8 maps away (where rounds take 1 turn to arrive) the artillery could fire 4 shells preceding it (since the max flight time is 5 rounds), and have all five rounds impact the same turn.  Since spotting adjustment only occurs after the shells land, this means no adjustment of fire until after the five have landed.  Sometimes referred to as setting out the 'Go Away' mat

Protomechs
They can mount BA scale weaponry at 2* the mass, or Mech scale weaponry at half the mass.  No more than 1 Mech scale weapon though.  Smaller Protomechs get the most benefit out of batteries and use motion amplification of the pilot's movements, while the pilot is shoved into the torso/head location.  Larger Protomechs get more benefit from fusion plants and have started to use Small Cockpits.  (I want to make a transition setup, where you start with infantry exoskeleton, and can smoothly slide up to Assault Battlemech)

On-mount ammo storage
Autocannons and LRMs can store up to 1/4 of a ton or 2 shots of ammo on-mount (whichever is higher), meaning that ammo doesn't count against crit requirements.  You still pay tonnage and BV for it though, plus on-mount ammo cannot be transferred to another weapon.  Inflicting a critical hit on the weapon also destroys the remaining on-mount ammo too.  So if you have 8 LRM-5, you can hide up to 2 tons of ammo, but if one of those LRM-5 gets a critical the explosion can do up to 30 pts of damage from exploding missiles.

Infantry weapons vs Mechs
Infantry weapons vs Mechs use their own ranges and damage, rather than using anti-infantry weapons for ranges.  Infantry-scale Anti-Mech weapons should pick one of range, damage, or shots.  Also, round damage down for vs anti-Mech.  This rounding down encourages infantry units to group together, instead of potentially having single infantrymen going around the map with a weapon that does .51 vs Mechs.

Infantry ammo capacity
infantry sitting in a hex with ammo can us the hex's ammo vs opponents, instead of their personal ammo.  The down side is that any hits to that hex can set off the ammo.  They cannot reload during combat.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2020, 03:38:41 »
Going to Clan tech standard for all Inner Sphere powers and innersphere tech for periphery powers come 3200 . 

Improved Targeting Conputer . Any weapon roll that does not hit does not fire same weight as IS Targeting Computer 4X the price . Otherwise operates as Standard .

AC 12 and 15 s , Medium  Gauss Rifle 12 damage 12 shots per ton 13 tons ER PPC Range 3 min  1 less crit space .

No  HVAC and Caseless die roll of 2 explosion . All jammed AC ultras cleared after 1 turn . Improved  PPC Capacitors  Add 2 tons to any PPC add 5 points and  5 damage every turn . Make all AC ammo Caseless as standard  double shots per ton and price per ton .

Rail road artillery  acting like cruise missle .
« Last Edit: 23 September 2020, 03:42:41 by Col Toda »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2020, 07:59:05 »
I would love to see Rail Guns, Ancient Missile Systems, Ancient Chemical Lasers and other weapons mentioned but not yet stated out.

I'd love for Double Strength Heat Sinks to be made legal again along with other tech that was in previous rule books that didn't make it to the currant books. They could be prototype versions, primitive versions of IS versions. Vintage/Star League units get the quirks. Pre and post Star League has to make do with actual equipment that takes tonnage and crits.

Oddball weapon classes. They could either be prototypes or just produced in individual planets or older outdated weapon systems.

Alternative weapons systems. Mazers and such. Similar to what we have now but they don't quite work the same.

Stackable sensors to imitate a Probe, like how Com Equip. can imitate ECM. Never as good as a Beagle and blocked but Guardian. Of course we'd need an early ECM system that's defeated by Beagles. 

Being able to mount and use 2 Probes at the same time but in different modes.

Rules for items mentioned but not stated out such as Steak Lasers and command/C3 computers, and early IS C3 systems and such. The stuff mentioned in the early TROs.

Better Rifle Cannons. For the weapons and equipment in XTRO:1945 and Nebula California to be legal.

Vehicle/Mech scale Recoilless Rifles.

More infantry weapons, including Black Powder. We can use Bows and Arrows. Why not Muskets? Myomer powered Catapults?
« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 02:23:06 by RifleMech »

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2020, 17:03:26 »
Beam sabers. Short burn, hand held plasma cutters using either chemical catalysts or channeled plasma from the fusion engine to create the plasma field.

Mech sized myomer activated nets.  Throw or launch at a target. Activate by running an electrical charge through the net to entangle or capture the target.

Expand the autocannon trees to include RAC 10s, RAC 20s, Hypervelocity AC/20s, and Light AC 10s and 20s.

Silver Bullet HG, IG and LGRs

Build Blazers for all of the laser weapons

Limpet mines

Electrothermal cannons

Variable size plasma rifles

Impact piston driven battering rams

Rules for mech football and other sports.

Kinetic kill weapons as orbital fire support.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2020, 20:14:40 »
I think there are rules for battering rams and limpet mines (sloth has them). Heavy lasers are basically blazers. I definitely would like expanded rules for mech scale football and the like so a new Solaris/Noisel book would be welcome come on Catalyst the IlClanship will be decided by a football game between Alaric and the Ghost Bears

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2020, 15:36:25 »
Some new standard of armor that does to all the various weapons what  BAR 10 standard did to tank rifles.  This would allow them to reset everything and correct mistakes. 

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2020, 00:16:31 »
One-shot inherent cooling setups

If a weapon only fires one-shot, why not just include an expendable cooling sump that absorbs the emitted heat, instead of needing to factor in the heat every turn?
So if you have a RL/10 that normally does three points of heat and masses half a ton, you could have a modified RL/10 that does zero heat and masses 1 ton.  The extra half ton is for the additional expendable cooling jacket

This lets a Mech salvo off a lot of rockets, and not melt down due to heat at the end of the turn.  Hit and run

Similarly, Chemical lasers might have a boil-off cooling rig linked to their ammunition storage.  When loading the chemicals into the chemical laser, the unit also loads a bunch of water.  When the laser fires, the chemicals used for the shot are expended, and the water is boiled off.  This reduces the number of shots per ton, but also reduces the heat per shot to zero.  (~80% as many shots per ton of ammo?)

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2020, 02:53:25 »
I would add the other tech from various books like Third League and such to be made legal.

There was a ram in a Battle Technology Magazine. I'd like it and other things to be legal.

More naval weaponry. Hedgehog mortars and being able to drop bombs "Depth Charges" and torpedo bombs to attack submarines.
Lasers made to work under water with reduced ranges on dry land.

Since Noisel and myomer nets were mentioned why not mech scale archery contests? Myomer could be used for the bow strings. I also want to say mech scale muskets. It would take a lot of skill to be able to load and fire one with a mech but maybe it'd be enough to just allow blades on any mech hand held rifle to be used as a bayonet.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2020, 14:18:08 »
The Battletechnology ram plate and the Rhino are now officially in the BTU. They're just built by Clan Goliath Scorpion now as part of their new mech designs in their empire.  TP: Hanseatic League has the details.

I'm more talking about piston/hydraulic enhanced punch rams/breaching units, etc. 

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2020, 16:49:07 »
Pulse lasers = laser shotgun
Instead of getting the bonus to hit, just change pulse lasers to do more damage

Or, have it roll on the cluster chart and add MoS to see how much damage it actually does?  Thinking similar to LB-X

Star League Tech decay
Star League tech should never be larger than the 3025 tech.  Star League tech was better, so make it smaller, cooler, more damaging, longer-ranged, etc.  This allows a GM to introduce a piece of Star League tech to a 3025 unit, and as the PCs try to maintain it using their existing gear, it steadily loses its capabilities.  The cooling jacket isn't as good, so it will run hotter.  The precise lenses aren't available, so it does less damage.  The power cabling isn't as good, so it is bulkier.  The arrays around the laser coil aren't as good, so heavier replacements are used.  The inherent targeting system is failing, so it loses range.
(This could also be used for 3025 tech, where if you don't maintain them the 3025 weapons steadily lose capabilities as well)

I've been looking at things in the other direction, as well, once you get to the tech renaissance.  For example, the IS ER PPC could be slowly improved to do 12, and eventually 15 points of damage.  Same tonnage and crit space as the original, but better head-capping hits.  Slightly cheaper than the final Clan version.

Gauss Rifles could take a cue from the 2750 misprint on ammo count. 

X-Pulse is the future of IS Pulse Tech, losing the 'X-' designation.

I like the idea of building advanced sensor stuff into the cockpit.  Eventually, I could see a 3rd Star League standard where all Mechs get the Beagle Probe, Guardian ECM, and C3 slave capacity for no extra tonnage.  I'd still require a dedicated master computer on a unit for them to link up, but it wouldn't take up near as much space and mass as the early prototypes out of the Combine.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 06 October 2020, 16:58:31 »
Okay. I'm going to take a moment and go a little ham.

(Re)Discovery of moderate anti-grav tech that allows for combat at AeroTech 1 ranges and speeds in space.  That's 6500km hexes, by the way.  At minute turn lengths.

Mechs that can fly and combat in space the same way aerospace fighters do, but without the need to transform, and that can transition smoothly to ground combat.

MechAssault II style Battle Armor that can bust into and pilot any Mech. 

Mechs designed to be piloted by Battle Armor, so that the pilot can eject and remain combat-effective.

Invisibility cloaking that allows units to go hidden when they can break line of sight to enemy forces.

Dropships which can mount a single Naval Class weapon that isn't a missile system, turning them into true pocket warships.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 06 October 2020, 17:46:03 »
Mechs can jump and fight in space at severe disadvantage

There is the interface cockpit which does allow a PA(L) Battle armored trooper pilot it and use their suit after they eject.

There is the Chameleon system which does make you semi-invisible.

Capital weapons besides missiles are way to heavy to be carried effectively by dropships. I'd rather have Sub-Caps anyway more mass efficient

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 06 October 2020, 22:57:47 »
Mechs that can fly and combat in space the same way aerospace fighters do, but without the need to transform, and that can transition smoothly to ground combat.

To do this with a Mech shape would require that the Mech has a massively superior engine compared to an ASF.  At that point someone is going to ask why they can't mount that engine in an ASF.

MechAssault II style Battle Armor that can bust into and pilot any Mech.

Mechs designed to be piloted by Battle Armor, so that the pilot can eject and remain combat-effective.

I think the fear of the first point is what is delaying development on the second point.  But there is still the Gestalt series Mechs which are designed to have the pilot in a form of Battlearmor (and no need for Gyro). The Battlearmor has its own construction requirements.

These Gestalt Mech Construction rules are in Tantrum: Final Reckoning and Interstellar Operations

Invisibility cloaking that allows units to go hidden when they can break line of sight to enemy forces.

Full invisibility will be tricky.  How will the light be bent around the Mech without also bending physical objects?  If the Mech is projecting an image in front of itself, that means if the viewer is at an angle compared to the background, the difference could stand out.  Keeping the image constant for a viewer can be semi-tricky.  Plus if the Mech takes any damage, the damaged area won't have the cloak effect and will stand out.

But this tech sorta exists if you include Mimetic Armor for Battlearmor, and Void Signature System for Mechs.

Other examples of this tech pre-existing are:
Chameleon Light Polarization Shield - for visual stealthing
Null Signature System - for the EM and IR stealthing

Capital weapons besides missiles are way to heavy to be carried effectively by dropships. I'd rather have Sub-Caos anyway more mass efficient

Naval Lasers range in mass from 700 to 1100 tons, so mounting them on a Dropship should be fairly easy.  Even the heaviest Naval PPC only masses 3000 tons, and Dropships don't have to be built around a fixed item that takes up about half their mass, compared to Warships and their KF core.  None of these weapons produce recoil, so that wouldn't be an issue.

The problem is exactly what you said, as their damage ranges from 35 Standard to 55 Standard, or 20 tons per standard point of damage.

Sub-Capital Lasers range from 150 to 250 tons, with damage ranging from 10 standard to 30 standard.  Their effectiveness ranges from 8.33 to 15 tons per point of standard damage.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 09 October 2020, 16:10:20 »
Mechs can jump and fight in space at severe disadvantage

There is the interface cockpit which does allow a PA(L) Battle armored trooper pilot it and use their suit after they eject.

There is the Chameleon system which does make you semi-invisible.

Capital weapons besides missiles are way to heavy to be carried effectively by dropships. I'd rather have Sub-Caps anyway more mass efficient

Yeah.  But, all the rules behind those are weak.

I want to see something that's far more effective.

The problem is exactly what you said, as their damage ranges from 35 Standard to 55 Standard, or 20 tons per standard point of damage.

Sub-Capital Lasers range from 150 to 250 tons, with damage ranging from 10 standard to 30 standard.  Their effectiveness ranges from 8.33 to 15 tons per point of standard damage.

By standard, do you mean capital scale?  Or do you actually mean standard scale?  I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure Cap and sub-Cap weaponry gets a x10 damage boost against targets with standard (ground scale) armor.  Or, am I misreading the values?
« Last Edit: 09 October 2020, 16:14:53 by Daemion »

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2020, 00:18:36 »
By standard, do you mean capital scale?  Or do you actually mean standard scale?  I'll have to look, but I'm pretty sure Cap and sub-Cap weaponry gets a x10 damage boost against targets with standard (ground scale) armor.  Or, am I misreading the values?

By standard I meant the damage that is inflicted on a Battlemech on the ground scale.  So an SCL/1 does 1 Capital point of damage, or 10 pts standard damage, while massing 150 tons.  This means it masses 15 tons per point of damage.

Now I want to compare the SCL/1 with the classic PPC (since they both do 10 pts standard damage)
Category                SCL/1           PPC
Heat2410
Minimum range03
Short96
Medium1812
Long2718
Tons1507
Tons/Pt Dmg15.7

So for a 50% range increase, you get over twice as much heat and wind up massing ~20 times as much.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2020, 15:36:19 »
Okay. 

Good to know.  Man. Not very powerful, indeed.

Still, a NL 35 would be fun on a dropper, by sheer dint that it'll break threshold on almost any DropShip location.

To do this with a Mech shape would require that the Mech has a massively superior engine compared to an ASF.  At that point someone is going to ask why they can't mount that engine in an ASF.

Not necessarily.  It means fuel stores and less emphasis on using the myomers for locomotion.  Most of a Mech's movement is in the Myomer and activating it over and over again.  In space, that's not as necessary.  You'd only need so much for a twitch when defensive movement is necessary, and beyond that, the gyro system's brakes can do most of the actual work-load. 

It's been posited that a majority of a Mech's engine mass has nothing to do with the actual power plant, and more to do with the musculature systme required to move the mass.  Old repair/replacement rules from the BMR, as well as replacement costs, would back this up.

That then means reaction mass for the jets to actually move at combat speeds.  It might also mean some form of minor anti-grav control to at least protect the pilot from maneuver strain at High-Gs. 

So, no, no extra powerful engine required.  It would simply be a star fleet battle's power allocation game. ;)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2020, 17:08:35 »
Okay. 

Good to know.  Man. Not very powerful, indeed.

Still, a NL 35 would be fun on a dropper, by sheer dint that it'll break threshold on almost any DropShip location.

I'd like to see SCL and NL also incorporating Coude turrets with internal mirrors.  Essentially you have a single SCL or NL, but the beam is sent via mirrors to a mirror turret elsewhere on the ship.  Remember the turret on the nose of the Airborne Laser?  Imagine several of those on the exterior of the Dropship (or Warship), each tracking a target, and the Dropsip Captain (or CASPAR) deciding which should get the NL sent through it.  This also means that if you destroy a Coude turret on one side, the main SCL or NL inside the ship is still able to fire out of another Coude turret.  The down side is that even if you have 50 Coude turrets, you only have the single SCL or NL.  Plus if the SCL or NL is disabled, all those Coude turrets are now useless.

Not necessarily.  It means fuel stores and less emphasis on using the myomers for locomotion.  Most of a Mech's movement is in the Myomer and activating it over and over again.  In space, that's not as necessary.  You'd only need so much for a twitch when defensive movement is necessary, and beyond that, the gyro system's brakes can do most of the actual work-load. 

It's been posited that a majority of a Mech's engine mass has nothing to do with the actual power plant, and more to do with the musculature systme required to move the mass.  Old repair/replacement rules from the BMR, as well as replacement costs, would back this up.

That then means reaction mass for the jets to actually move at combat speeds.  It might also mean some form of minor anti-grav control to at least protect the pilot from maneuver strain at High-Gs. 

So, no, no extra powerful engine required.  It would simply be a star fleet battle's power allocation game. ;) 

At that point you don't have the myomers to make it a mech, and it has turned into an ASF.  That ASF now needs reaction thrusters, but remember that pure ASF also get the +2 to their effective Thrust.  So a 100-ton Mech mounting a 300-rated Mech engine (with myomers) would move at 3/5, while a 100-ton ASF mounting a 300-rated ASF engine (with reaction thrusters) will move at 5/8.

The gyro would just mean the unit would rotate around its center of mass, it won't dodge out of the way.  If these gyros were effective at maneuvering part of a SpaceMech out of the line of fire, then why couldn't they be put on an ASF?

Also, myomer strength should be based on cross-section area, rather than total mass.  Think about myomers as a rope.  Assuming you have a rope 10 feet long and it can support 1000 pounds.  A rope the same width but 20 feet long will still only support 1000 pounds.  So smaller myomers would either be moving smaller items, or providing less movement to the original items (i.e. arms and legs).

The thrust bonus should also be based on their purpose:
Bonus - unit receiving
+1:  Conventional fighters
+2: ASF (aka what we currently have)
+3: Space-environment fighters (short-duration platforms optimized for space capability)  Examples include the Babylon 5 Starfury (though that page only has a barely acceptable image), or the 'purified' Tetrahedral design.  Other designs are here and here

Hmmm, Space-environment fighter rules ideas:

Follow all ASF rules except for the following:
  • The bonus to Thrust is +3 instead of +2 (so an ASF with a 300-rated engine would move at 5/8, but a space-only fighter would need just a 200-rated engine to move at 5/8)
  • Cannot exceed speed 1 when in atmosphere
  • Changing face in atmosphere costs 2* the thrust points (no air surfaces to help, has to do everything via engines)
  • Gets +1 to piloting rolls in vacuum environments (no need to compromise maneuvering jet locations to allow for atmospheric capability, just put them in the most efficient locations)
  • Essentially the spheroid version of the current aerodyne ASF
(others TBD later)

They will be to ASF what the Lunar Lander is to the Space Shuttle (in terms of appearance)

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2020, 16:50:33 »
I'd like to see SCL and NL also incorporating Coude turrets with internal mirrors.  Essentially you have a single SCL or NL, but the beam is sent via mirrors to a mirror turret elsewhere on the ship.  Remember the turret on the nose of the Airborne Laser?  Imagine several of those on the exterior of the Dropship (or Warship), each tracking a target, and the Dropsip Captain (or CASPAR) deciding which should get the NL sent through it.  This also means that if you destroy a Coude turret on one side, the main SCL or NL inside the ship is still able to fire out of another Coude turret.  The down side is that even if you have 50 Coude turrets, you only have the single SCL or NL.  Plus if the SCL or NL is disabled, all those Coude turrets are now useless.

Y'know, this kinda reminds me of the old artwork for the DropShips.  I would only see two turrets for foreward and two for aft, and it made me think that there really wasn't a nose or aft turret, but that was where the turrets shared arc with each other.  Weight for the weapons would be control networks and power amplification and such. 

So, there is precedence.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2020, 17:21:12 »
At that point you don't have the myomers to make it a mech, and it has turned into an ASF.  That ASF now needs reaction thrusters, but remember that pure ASF also get the +2 to their effective Thrust.  So a 100-ton Mech mounting a 300-rated Mech engine (with myomers) would move at 3/5, while a 100-ton ASF mounting a 300-rated ASF engine (with reaction thrusters) will move at 5/8.
You miss my meaning.  I'm not saying remove the actuators.  I'm saying that you'd have to devote tonnage to reaction mass to burn in the jets.  You remember those back-pack landing jets that could be strapped to Mechs that were dropped out of a DropShip?   >:D

Or, you could come up with a real 'Fast Pack' attachment for a Phoenix Hawk.  ::) 

The gyro would just mean the unit would rotate around its center of mass, it won't dodge out of the way.  If these gyros were effective at maneuvering part of a SpaceMech out of the line of fire, then why couldn't they be put on an ASF?

I'm sorry, but this is where our conceptualizations of BT armored combat, even in space, are obviously different.  I work from the notion that the 'Magic Armor' of BT is made even (less?) more so by the use of defensive algorithms in charge of a unit's defensive motion.  So, yes.  A gyro would only allow a Mech to turn about it's axis.  But!  That's how you get high probabilities of attack failure in a world of Light Speed weaponry.  (The difference between dice rolls resulting in whether armor/internal structure boxes are marked or not.)  Are you merely scratching the paint? (Miss) Or, is it showing a change on anyone's damage assessment diagram? (Hit)

To be frank, the distances involve in AT2/Total Warfare are not enough to 'dodge' successfully out of the way of a shot, especially one with computer aided aiming and tracking.  You'd need at least a second's worth of transit time to allow for that, especially with lasers.  That means combat would have to be done at 1 Light Second + distances, which is roughly 300,000km.  Even AT1 had a hard time fitting that on a hex map, with hexes 6500 km across.  xp

So, the idea of dodging an attack by avoiding contact is ludicrous in the current rules environment.  Considering that each space turn is a full minute (60 seconds!!!) in length, there really shouldn't be any misses for any weapon, at all.  A lot of that time is maneuver. But, it's plenty of time for fire solutions to work real handily.  Unless.  There's an active defensive solution equally at work, and the armor is strong enough to deflect anything but a square, focused hit.

So, a gyro helping reorient a Mech in space would make it very difficult to harm, and also help give it an advantage in a dogfight.  It can make sure it is always nose-on to an ASF opponent.

Then, all we need is a means of giving it the speed.   :thumbsup:

And, yes, the question comes back to why a heavy gyro system isn't on ASFs.  Maybe there're g-stress involved with reorienting on the fly at such velocities.  If that's the case, then this is where a sub-par version of gravity control would be necessary, or the unit needs to be automated.

But, one thing Mechs can do is take up position and hold ground against other combat units.  Holding orbital facilities, or standing ground on stellar bodies like asteroids, without having to worry about collision with that body impairing performance, is a big boon. Getting there under your own power is even better.

The thrust bonus should also be based on their purpose:
Bonus - unit receiving
+1:  Conventional fighters
+2: ASF (aka what we currently have)
+3: Space-environment fighters (short-duration platforms optimized for space capability)  Examples include the Babylon 5 Starfury (though that page only has a barely acceptable image), or the 'purified' Tetrahedral design.  Other designs are here and here

Hmmm, Space-environment fighter rules ideas:

Follow all ASF rules except for the following:
  • The bonus to Thrust is +3 instead of +2 (so an ASF with a 300-rated engine would move at 5/8, but a space-only fighter would need just a 200-rated engine to move at 5/8)
  • Cannot exceed speed 1 when in atmosphere
  • Changing face in atmosphere costs 2* the thrust points (no air surfaces to help, has to do everything via engines)
  • Gets +1 to piloting rolls in vacuum environments (no need to compromise maneuvering jet locations to allow for atmospheric capability, just put them in the most efficient locations)
  • Essentially the spheroid version of the current aerodyne ASF
(others TBD later)

They will be to ASF what the Lunar Lander is to the Space Shuttle (in terms of appearance)

I like this.  Although, personally, I think that such fighters should be limited from atmospheric actions entirely, like the Star Fury.  Or, maybe come up with two sub-classes: One that can enter atmosphere in a limited fashion, and one that has to dock with a mother vessel.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2020, 21:38:08 »
You miss my meaning.  I'm not saying remove the actuators.  I'm saying that you'd have to devote tonnage to reaction mass to burn in the jets.  You remember those back-pack landing jets that could be strapped to Mechs that were dropped out of a DropShip?   >:D

Or, you could come up with a real 'Fast Pack' attachment for a Phoenix Hawk.  ::) 

You said "less emphasis on using the myomers for locomotion".  That to me said you would be reducing the myomers.  That tonnage devoted to reaction mass has to come from somewhere.  Since the myomers are being kept, they will be taking up tonnage while an ASF can use that tonnage for more armor/weapons.

For the fast pack, where you strap a set of fusion thrusters to a mech, we can calculate it right now using cargo tonnage in a Mech (ignoring locations and crit requirements, just the engine tonnage).  Assuming you want a 50-ton Mech to have 5/8 movement in space, that means the total mass, multiplied by 3 is the engine rating.  A 150-rated XL Aerospace engine would mass 3 tons, plus however many tons you want for fuel.  Assuming another 2 tons for fuel, that means you would have a Mech with 2 engines, one at 6.5 tons for the Mech to move at 5/8 on the surface, and one that masses a total of 5 tons for space movement.  A 50-ton ASF would only have the space-rated engine, giving it 6.5 tons more to play with.

Fast pack attachments get into the fun of recursive calculations where you figure out what thrust you want the Mech to have, but have to set up the engine pack to be larger since the pack has to accelerate not just the Mech, but also itself and any onboard fuel.  Plus the attachments for linking the fast pack to the Mech have to be solid enough to handle multi-G accelerations.

As an example, a 5-ton pack for a 50-ton Mech would be composed of a 3-ton 165-rated XL ASF engine, plus two tons of fuel.  This would provide 5/8 movement (the same as nearly any 100-ton ASF), and the engine alone would cost about 2.3 million C-Bills (15000*165*55/75*1.275).  If you want more movement, you need a larger pack as a 220-rated XL ASF engine would mass 5 tons, leaving zero for fuel (I am assuming that the pack would be designed to only use internal fuel, to avoid the fun engineering of detachable fuel transfers).

A 10-ton pack would use a 6 ton XL 240-rated ASF engine, and 4 tons of fuel.  That pack would provide the 50-ton Mech with 6/9 movement.  The price for this would be just over 3.7 million C-Bills (15000 * 240 * 60/75 * 1.3, and I am ignoring the attitude thrusters and fuel costs).

If you wanted to make them cheaper using regular fusion engines, the 10-ton pack would have a 180-rated ASF engine and 3 tons of fuel, giving the Mech 5/8 movement.  This pack might cost just under a million C-Bills. (5000 * 180 * 60 / 75 * 1.3, attitude thrusters would add ~32,500, and I am ignoring the fuel costs).

Neither of these packs have armor so any hit on the rear torso means the whole thing blows up.  If you want armor that means more tonnage will be needed, meaning the mass of the pack increases, meaning the pack now needs a larger engine, causing the pack mass to increase again, etc.

I'm sorry, but this is where our conceptualizations of BT armored combat, even in space, are obviously different.  I work from the notion that the 'Magic Armor' of BT is made even (less?) more so by the use of defensive algorithms in charge of a unit's defensive motion.  So, yes.  A gyro would only allow a Mech to turn about it's axis.  But!  That's how you get high probabilities of attack failure in a world of Light Speed weaponry.  (The difference between dice rolls resulting in whether armor/internal structure boxes are marked or not.)  Are you merely scratching the paint? (Miss) Or, is it showing a change on anyone's damage assessment diagram? (Hit)

To be frank, the distances involve in AT2/Total Warfare are not enough to 'dodge' successfully out of the way of a shot, especially one with computer aided aiming and tracking.  You'd need at least a second's worth of transit time to allow for that, especially with lasers.  That means combat would have to be done at 1 Light Second + distances, which is roughly 300,000km.  Even AT1 had a hard time fitting that on a hex map, with hexes 6500 km across.  xp

So, the idea of dodging an attack by avoiding contact is ludicrous in the current rules environment.  Considering that each space turn is a full minute (60 seconds!!!) in length, there really shouldn't be any misses for any weapon, at all.  A lot of that time is maneuver. But, it's plenty of time for fire solutions to work real handily.  Unless.  There's an active defensive solution equally at work, and the armor is strong enough to deflect anything but a square, focused hit.

So, a gyro helping reorient a Mech in space would make it very difficult to harm, and also help give it an advantage in a dogfight.  It can make sure it is always nose-on to an ASF opponent.

Then, all we need is a means of giving it the speed.   :thumbsup:

And, yes, the question comes back to why a heavy gyro system isn't on ASFs.  Maybe there're g-stress involved with reorienting on the fly at such velocities.  If that's the case, then this is where a sub-par version of gravity control would be necessary, or the unit needs to be automated.

But, one thing Mechs can do is take up position and hold ground against other combat units.  Holding orbital facilities, or standing ground on stellar bodies like asteroids, without having to worry about collision with that body impairing performance, is a big boon. Getting there under your own power is even better.

The Mech reorienting also means it will need a way to keep its target profile minimized.  ASF already do this since they are arodynamic, and all their weapons are mounted on their 'top' as perceived from their direction of flight.  A Mech trying to keep its profile minimized means it will only be able to use its arm-mounted weaponry, or it will be giving its opponent a larger target.

If the high-speed gyro is not useful on ASF (for whatever reason), then why would it be useful on a Mech?  If anti-grav is needed for a Mech to work in space, then why can't that technology also be applied to an ASF?

Space-based units have one key advantage, they can just drift.  There is little to no gravity pulling them down (and if there is, it is called a moon or planet where Mechs are already used without space movement modifications).

I like this.  Although, personally, I think that such fighters should be limited from atmospheric actions entirely, like the Star Fury.  Or, maybe come up with two sub-classes: One that can enter atmosphere in a limited fashion, and one that has to dock with a mother vessel.

Battletech engines have the advantage of plenty of fuel efficiency, so the space-only fighter can eventually accelerate out of an atmosphere.  If there is a conventional fighter or ASF available, they are little more than target practice though.  The rate of change in an atmosphere can be adjusted to make it slower (i.e. no more than 1 atmospheric hex every 3 turns?) to represent that its external equipment was never designed for moving through atmosphere.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2020, 00:53:21 »
You said "less emphasis on using the myomers for locomotion".  That to me said you would be reducing the myomers.  That tonnage devoted to reaction mass has to come from somewhere.  Since the myomers are being kept, they will be taking up tonnage while an ASF can use that tonnage for more armor/weapons.

You mean they already have.

But, no, I meant that you could redirect power from myomer activation, especially the legs, to other places.  it wouldn't mean shutting down the myomers entirely, because you'd want to be able to do some defensive twitching or contorting. (This will be explained, again, below.)

For the fast pack, where you strap a set of fusion thrusters to a mech, we can calculate it right now using cargo tonnage in a Mech (ignoring locations and crit requirements, just the engine tonnage). 

Again, you seem to misunderstand.  And, you're being overly redundant.  Why would you have to mount a second fusion reactor to the Mech?  All you need is fuel and maybe jets if the Mech isn't already outfitted.  The system would be powered by the Mechs existing reactor, much like Jump Jets.  The LAM is already capable of this, by the way.

The Mech reorienting also means it will need a way to keep its target profile minimized.  ASF already do this since they are arodynamic, and all their weapons are mounted on their 'top' as perceived from their direction of flight.  A Mech trying to keep its profile minimized means it will only be able to use its arm-mounted weaponry, or it will be giving its opponent a larger target.

No, you don't need a smaller profile.  In fact, the Mech works by presenting a bigger target. Otherwise, ground combat would be completely different, and QuadVees, or Quad Mechs in general, would be the mainstay of combat.

Again, you're working from outside what I'm seeing. From that rather (in my opinion) dated concept of armored combat, you would generally be correct, especially if you're trying not to get hit.  But, I've already pointed out how 'Trying Not to Get Hit'{tm} is ineffectual.  In space combat, at such short ranges depicted on the map, speed of light weapons like lasers and PPCs will still reach out and touch someone pretty effectively unless they're beyond one (1) Light Second (300,000 km).  At which point, the target can simply thrust in an unpredictable direction and properly Not Get Hit{tm}.

When you can't avoid being hit, what do you do? You make sure the hit is as meaningless as possible. 

As I see it, in the BTu future, they've worked out how to make that happen to the point that we can represent it in 2d6 probabilities.   ^-^

Presenting a small target doesn't necessarily mean that's where all your armor is. In fact, with a BattleMech, they present a large target, using limbs and motion to intercept some shots or cause them to glance or spread around a series of plates harmlessly. (This may explain the shot-trap armor layouts we see on almost all Mechs and tanks.)

They can contort and twist in ways that tanks and fighter planes can't.  Once fighters or tanks try to do that, they lose whatever bonuses they have as mobile armored brick.

And, let's not forget that while they only have to armor to protect from six directions on Aerospace, they still have to cover broad surface areas when it comes to wings and other control surfaces.  Unlike Mechs, Fighters (and tanks) are effectively a large armored egg or box protecting a singular, open and vulnerable core.  Mechs have compartmentalization.

Finally, let me be clear.  You can't get that kind of defensive movement by mere human control and reaction times.  While we may process lots of data with our brains, we're still not as fast as a machine.  So, active mobile defensive measures would have to be controlled by one or more computers.

It's been established that computers in BT are small and very effective.  Sensor programs can pick out details that a human can miss. (Some rules examples would be that once a hidden unit is revealed, it cannot go back into hiding during the rest of the game.  But, something as simple as immobile targets imparting a huge -4 to-hit bonus to the attacker shows that mobility has a huge effect on the success of an attack.  Target movement mods should be meaningless, since leading a shot would be simple for computer aided gunnery, but they have a huge effect the more distance a target can cover on the ground.  Under that light, Jumping movement is probably not parabolic or anyway predictable, as you're now adding a new axis of motion, granting a mere +1 to an attacker's to-hit value.)

All it would take is the application of predictive algorithms to guess where and when an attack might strike from a given enemy, and present an appropriate glancing armored face to that attack at that moment, or be ready to do so at the first sign of the weapon firing.  It's not fool proof, and can be overwhelmed. (You throw enough dice and something's sure to land a hit.  ;) )  Attack algorithms will be working to guess the target's motion and trying to predict where a 'good shot' will land at any given moment. 

A computer guessing war.  The pilot is merely there to steer the stead and dictate the target of any given weapon in the process. (This is how I see BT combat working.  It makes it hyper-futuristic while accounting for the obvious inaccuracies one sees in combat when first viewed.)

If the high-speed gyro is not useful on ASF (for whatever reason), then why would it be useful on a Mech?  If anti-grav is needed for a Mech to work in space, then why can't that technology also be applied to an ASF?

For the latter about anti-grav application, I'm not saying it can't, and I'm asking why it hasn't been done, personally.

In fact, during the short dint that AT1 was the rule-set for space combat, those speeds and ranges would seem to suggest that there was some involved, or the pilot/crew of a ship would be turned into paste by simply changing facing.  Under that set-up, ASFs and other space craft already have it!  So, the question becomes, 'Why wasn't it done on Mechs?'

As for the Gyro, I think this is more a matter of in-universe historical focus, and this is why I lament some factions not having a different design doctrine, focusing on one-man battle tanks or improved AeroSpace.  It's not that the gyro isn't effective on a fighter.  It's that nobody's tried. 

The ASF is a centuries old design, like the mobile land brick that is the main battle-tank.  The idea of presenting a small target area presided in the early development, and it's stuck.  ASFs maneuver and dance through vectored thrust, and nobody has seen to improve that, especially since what they do have now is phenomenal by 21st century standards.

When all development went into the BattleMech, someone must have thought, 'Hey!  We can make a super space fighter with some of this stuff from the Mech.'  But, everything was going into Mech research.  You can see it in some of the fiction.  Fighters are considered generally fragile combat units that could easily be written off as a loss if it did take damage, especially in atmosphere and/or gravity.  Gyro systems were once expensive enough that most bean-counters said 'no'. 

So! Now that I've gone through all that, let's take a moment, and do a little rules meta, shall we?  The rules for Mechs and other ground units fighting in space are where, again?  An 'optional' rulebook, is it?  Do those rules happen to give Aerospace some undue advantage in space?  Like range?  What about LAMs?  They can convert to a Fighter Mode and engage at those same space ranges.  If they can do it, then why can't the range computers for space fighting be incorporated into other 'ground units' in space?

Okay, Since those rules are optional, let's ignore them for a moment.  We're stuck with the core rules.  A fight is happening in space, and you want to incorporate ground units in some way, say to deploy and protect a crippled transport. 

How would you do it? 

Well, we have a rule for that.  Ground units function on a 'ground map'.  Whether there's any actual ground on said map is immaterial.  Any air or space units wanting to attack ground units must attack said ground units on their 'ground map'.

All of a sudden, any space unit loses its range advantage.  It has to enter the space hex the 'ground units' are in, and then enter a 'low-altitude' scale map to make a typical attack run on said ground units, who can fire back.  All the while, said space units are being shot at, at range, by other space units.

Now, if we were to apply some logic and limitations, how would this work?  For Mechs, we already have an answer (Gyro + Future Armor).  For other ground units, we would have to come up with a different solution.   Infantry would be outfitted for their environment, so no problem there. Most track and wheeled units need contact with a surface to get the defensive mobility required to get the same 2d6 level invulnerability save.  Hovercraft require the presence of significant amounts of gas.   So, unless they're outfitted with thrusters or an internal gyro-flywheel system, they really are fish out of a barrel.

If we can't come up with a solution, then maybe we apply motive limitations for being in an illegal hex type, and they lose their status as Ground Combat Units.   ^-^

Now.  If we assume it's the Gyro that's making it work well for the Mech, (Anything infantry do would be immaterial to application to fighter craft...) and someone got the bright idea in-universe to apply it to an Aerospace fighter, what has changed?

For the most part, when Space units are dealing with ground units, nothing.  However, on the space side of things, the gyro-equipped ASFs have the same range invulnerability that ground units do.  Space combat would have to require that space units move into dog-fighting ranges with gyro-equipped units. 

Wave of the future!

Dog-fights would be required to protect any attack runs on vulnerable droppers in transit.  You can't shoot at the big metal barn when someone's on your tail, ready to take you out the moment you lose focus.

AoE weapons would be required of dropships and warships to give them the necessary range and first strike capability to cause some damage before having to commit fighter escorts to the battle.

And, so, we're back where we started in some ways.  So, why would a Mech still be better if it could spend reaction mass and get up to speed?  Because the Fighter still is limited by its construction.  It still only has four armor locations to track, and big ones at that, which still leaves threshold limits.  A Mech may have more locations with limited armor, but it also has ribbons of myomer helping it to keep its frame together like a bunch of rubber-bands.  An ASF doesn't have that, either. Sure, there may be myomer threads linked to control surfaces to help speed their movement in an atmosphere, but not to the degree you see in a Mech. Nowhere near.

And, then there's the versatility factor.  And, we really don't need to go into holding ground on a target area with gravity or a large surface area. 

During the transition, from non-gyro ASFs to gyro-equipped ASFs, I'd like to point out that the Gyro-equipped fighters would enjoy a significant range boost against the non-gyroed fighters.  The losses would be one-sided as fighters that can't weather the hits have to race into dog-fighting range, getting picked apart as they go.

Does that sound somewhat familiar?  Let's hearken back to the days of the first BattleMechs, and how they could curbstomp (depending on which source you believe, entire armor brigades, or other) large formations of conventional armor of the day.  I posit that the standard of the day was ranged fighting out to line of sight.  Lasers and PPCs were great for that, and a mere extension of 21st century style conventional combat.  The magic armor on the first Mechs, alone, wouldn't have cut range.  But, you combine that armor with active defenses in the form of predictive algorithms tied to motion control (my idea of why ranges in BT ground combat are so short)!  Suddenly, Mechs could snipe at range while those outdated armor brigades had to focus fire and rush to get close to hope to do any damage.

So, yeah.  A company of Mechs could chew through an armor brigade during those initial years.

And, the question would be, why wasn't that applied to tanks?  Well, the answer is, it was.  But, with ground units in general constant contact with the ground, and generally being armored bricks, they didn't need the gyro to achieve it. (Not only do you get standard BT front-line tanks, but this should explain why so much of a vehicle's hit table is dedicated to the body.  The turret will only get hit 1 in 6 times, probability-wise.  It happens to be the most mobile part of the tank.  And, if you're wondering about VToL rotors, I'd like to point out the thin central axle they're generally attached to.)

This is one way I would propose seeing tech advancement.

The other would be to find a way to figure out how to apply long distance space targeting to Mechs, and even space-capable tanks.  That would be another way.  And, then, to get proper SpaceMechs, it's a matter of incorporating a method of getting up to speed. 

Or, would you rather leave that to LAMs?

Me? While I love me my transformers, I want to see the BattleMech stay the King of the Battlefield, all battlefields.  That has to include space, someday.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2020, 10:47:06 »
But, no, I meant that you could redirect power from myomer activation, especially the legs, to other places.  it wouldn't mean shutting down the myomers entirely, because you'd want to be able to do some defensive twitching or contorting. (This will be explained, again, below.)

You are still using mass to carry the myomers.  Mass that an ASF doesn't need to carry.

Again, you seem to misunderstand.  And, you're being overly redundant.  Why would you have to mount a second fusion reactor to the Mech?  All you need is fuel and maybe jets if the Mech isn't already outfitted.  The system would be powered by the Mechs existing reactor, much like Jump Jets.  The LAM is already capable of this, by the way.

No, you don't need a smaller profile.  In fact, the Mech works by presenting a bigger target. Otherwise, ground combat would be completely different, and QuadVees, or Quad Mechs in general, would be the mainstay of combat.

A Mech's engine is not just the fusion plant, but also the myomers and structural enhancement.  A Mech's internal structure does not change going from a speed of 1/2 to 8/12, yet the stress will be greater, thus the engine mass provides that support.
An ASF's engine is not just the fusion plant, but also the engine bell/compression systems, thrust redirecting, and structural systems to handle direct-line thrust of 2.5+ Gs.

So you might save a ton by using the same core fusion engine, but you still need the myomers on a Mech and you still need to strengthen its skeleton to handle leg impacts.  To give the Mech space movement capability you will need an engine bell, you will need the compression systems to feed in hydrogen fuel and compress/fuse it into helium for thrust, you will still need the diverters to take that engine thrust and send it to the attitude thrusters, and you will need to make the skeleton able to handle the 2.5+ Gs of acceleration.  If it is a Pack attached to a Mech, then you need the second engine entirely unless you want a hole in the rear armor that can go directly to the Mech's engine.

Again, you're working from outside what I'm seeing. From that rather (in my opinion) dated concept of armored combat, you would generally be correct, especially if you're trying not to get hit.  But, I've already pointed out how 'Trying Not to Get Hit'{tm} is ineffectual.  In space combat, at such short ranges depicted on the map, speed of light weapons like lasers and PPCs will still reach out and touch someone pretty effectively unless they're beyond one (1) Light Second (300,000 km).  At which point, the target can simply thrust in an unpredictable direction and properly Not Get Hit{tm}.

When you can't avoid being hit, what do you do? You make sure the hit is as meaningless as possible. 

As I see it, in the BTu future, they've worked out how to make that happen to the point that we can represent it in 2d6 probabilities.   ^-^

Presenting a small target doesn't necessarily mean that's where all your armor is. In fact, with a BattleMech, they present a large target, using limbs and motion to intercept some shots or cause them to glance or spread around a series of plates harmlessly. (This may explain the shot-trap armor layouts we see on almost all Mechs and tanks.)

They can contort and twist in ways that tanks and fighter planes can't.  Once fighters or tanks try to do that, they lose whatever bonuses they have as mobile armored brick.

That twisting and contorting still means they get hit.  They have more locations, and thinner armor per location.  Also, unless they want to be floating targets they will need to maneuver, which means they will need a ASF-grade engine setup.  Without that thrust capability, SpaceMechs are effectively immobile, and anyone shooting at them gets a bonus to hit (similar to shooting at a space station).

And, let's not forget that while they only have to armor to protect from six directions on Aerospace, they still have to cover broad surface areas when it comes to wings and other control surfaces.  Unlike Mechs, Fighters (and tanks) are effectively a large armored egg or box protecting a singular, open and vulnerable core.  Mechs have compartmentalization.

Finally, let me be clear.  You can't get that kind of defensive movement by mere human control and reaction times.  While we may process lots of data with our brains, we're still not as fast as a machine.  So, active mobile defensive measures would have to be controlled by one or more computers.

It's been established that computers in BT are small and very effective.  Sensor programs can pick out details that a human can miss. (Some rules examples would be that once a hidden unit is revealed, it cannot go back into hiding during the rest of the game.  But, something as simple as immobile targets imparting a huge -4 to-hit bonus to the attacker shows that mobility has a huge effect on the success of an attack.  Target movement mods should be meaningless, since leading a shot would be simple for computer aided gunnery, but they have a huge effect the more distance a target can cover on the ground.  Under that light, Jumping movement is probably not parabolic or anyway predictable, as you're now adding a new axis of motion, granting a mere +1 to an attacker's to-hit value.)

All it would take is the application of predictive algorithms to guess where and when an attack might strike from a given enemy, and present an appropriate glancing armored face to that attack at that moment, or be ready to do so at the first sign of the weapon firing.  It's not fool proof, and can be overwhelmed. (You throw enough dice and something's sure to land a hit.  ;) )  Attack algorithms will be working to guess the target's motion and trying to predict where a 'good shot' will land at any given moment. 

A computer guessing war.  The pilot is merely there to steer the stead and dictate the target of any given weapon in the process. (This is how I see BT combat working.  It makes it hyper-futuristic while accounting for the obvious inaccuracies one sees in combat when first viewed.)

Jumping also imposes a +3 to-hit penalty when the jumping unit is attacking.  So even with the attacking unit knowing how it is jumping, how its jets are thrusting, it is harder for the attacking unit to figure that out than it is for the opponent.

Why can't that predictive computer be put on an ASF and tied to the attitude jets?  Instead of having a different facing taking the hit, the ASF can thrust briefly and be completely missed.

For the latter about anti-grav application, I'm not saying it can't, and I'm asking why it hasn't been done, personally.

In fact, during the short dint that AT1 was the rule-set for space combat, those speeds and ranges would seem to suggest that there was some involved, or the pilot/crew of a ship would be turned into paste by simply changing facing.  Under that set-up, ASFs and other space craft already have it!  So, the question becomes, 'Why wasn't it done on Mechs?'

As for the Gyro, I think this is more a matter of in-universe historical focus, and this is why I lament some factions not having a different design doctrine, focusing on one-man battle tanks or improved AeroSpace.  It's not that the gyro isn't effective on a fighter.  It's that nobody's tried. 

So a gyro can be mounted on both?  Then what advantage would a Mech have over an ASF?

AT1 was retconned since the accelerations were so high as you said.  It was reduced to 1 hex being the distance you travel using 1 Thrust point for 1 minute. 

The ASF is a centuries old design, like the mobile land brick that is the main battle-tank.  The idea of presenting a small target area presided in the early development, and it's stuck.  ASFs maneuver and dance through vectored thrust, and nobody has seen to improve that, especially since what they do have now is phenomenal by 21st century standards.

When all development went into the BattleMech, someone must have thought, 'Hey!  We can make a super space fighter with some of this stuff from the Mech.'  But, everything was going into Mech research.  You can see it in some of the fiction.  Fighters are considered generally fragile combat units that could easily be written off as a loss if it did take damage, especially in atmosphere and/or gravity.  Gyro systems were once expensive enough that most bean-counters said 'no'. 

ASF flying at low altitude are fragile, since they can lose altitude and wind up performing a lithobraking maneuver.  ASF used to strike a Mech that is facing a different direction are a bit nastier.  ASF also have a small frontal area since they are required to flying in atmosphere.  They are flying bricks, but streamlining does help (similar to how a lobster is more aerodynamic than a jeep).

So! Now that I've gone through all that, let's take a moment, and do a little rules meta, shall we?  The rules for Mechs and other ground units fighting in space are where, again?  An 'optional' rulebook, is it?  Do those rules happen to give Aerospace some undue advantage in space?  Like range?  What about LAMs?  They can convert to a Fighter Mode and engage at those same space ranges.  If they can do it, then why can't the range computers for space fighting be incorporated into other 'ground units' in space?

Okay, Since those rules are optional, let's ignore them for a moment.  We're stuck with the core rules.  A fight is happening in space, and you want to incorporate ground units in some way, say to deploy and protect a crippled transport. 

How would you do it? 

Well, we have a rule for that.  Ground units function on a 'ground map'.  Whether there's any actual ground on said map is immaterial.  Any air or space units wanting to attack ground units must attack said ground units on their 'ground map'.

All of a sudden, any space unit loses its range advantage.  It has to enter the space hex the 'ground units' are in, and then enter a 'low-altitude' scale map to make a typical attack run on said ground units, who can fire back.  All the while, said space units are being shot at, at range, by other space units.

Now, if we were to apply some logic and limitations, how would this work?  For Mechs, we already have an answer (Gyro + Future Armor).  For other ground units, we would have to come up with a different solution.   Infantry would be outfitted for their environment, so no problem there. Most track and wheeled units need contact with a surface to get the defensive mobility required to get the same 2d6 level invulnerability save.  Hovercraft require the presence of significant amounts of gas.   So, unless they're outfitted with thrusters or an internal gyro-flywheel system, they really are fish out of a barrel.

If we can't come up with a solution, then maybe we apply motive limitations for being in an illegal hex type, and they lose their status as Ground Combat Units.   ^-^

Now.  If we assume it's the Gyro that's making it work well for the Mech, (Anything infantry do would be immaterial to application to fighter craft...) and someone got the bright idea in-universe to apply it to an Aerospace fighter, what has changed?

For the most part, when Space units are dealing with ground units, nothing.  However, on the space side of things, the gyro-equipped ASFs have the same range invulnerability that ground units do.  Space combat would have to require that space units move into dog-fighting ranges with gyro-equipped units. 

Wave of the future!

So an ASF attacking a Dropship has two options:
1) Directly attack the ground units on a space platform where the ASF is at a disadvantage
2) Attack the Dropship itself, using the ASF's full capabilities, and the Dropship cannot maneuver easily as otherwise the ground units on its hull will get flung off.  If the ground units are parked in hangar bays so they won't get flung off via direct acceleration, that is a hole in the enemy ship's armor.  An ASF would gladly take a penalty to hit the Mech and instead perform a critical hit on the Dropship

Any space-based platform using even 1 point of thrust is suddenly putting a half g acceleration on itself and anything attached.  Anything on the side of the platform will need magnetic or other physical attachment so it doesn't drift off. Anything next to the engine exhaust is now dealing with a negative half G and unless physically attached will be left behind.

Gyro-using ASF would still be rotating about their center of mass, but not using fuel.  Without using their engines, they are relatively immobile. Now what can be done is having them in a powered-down mode, just using the gyros to maintain the preferred facing.  So anyone looking for active emissions or gas thrusters won't see them until they light up their engines and engage.

Dog-fights would be required to protect any attack runs on vulnerable droppers in transit.  You can't shoot at the big metal barn when someone's on your tail, ready to take you out the moment you lose focus.

AoE weapons would be required of dropships and warships to give them the necessary range and first strike capability to cause some damage before having to commit fighter escorts to the battle.

And, so, we're back where we started in some ways.  So, why would a Mech still be better if it could spend reaction mass and get up to speed?  Because the Fighter still is limited by its construction.  It still only has four armor locations to track, and big ones at that, which still leaves threshold limits.  A Mech may have more locations with limited armor, but it also has ribbons of myomer helping it to keep its frame together like a bunch of rubber-bands.  An ASF doesn't have that, either. Sure, there may be myomer threads linked to control surfaces to help speed their movement in an atmosphere, but not to the degree you see in a Mech. Nowhere near.

Dogfights are already a situation that occurs, and we have rules for them.  Unless you are saying that the SpaceMechs are the ones dogfighting the ASF?

AoE weapons against space hexes 18 km in width are often referred to as Space Mines (Tactical Operations -> Advanced Weapons and Equipment -> Mines -> Space Mines), nuclear weaponry, or Screen Launcher canisters (and the damage from these is considered incidental).  Nuclear weaponry mass varies based on what is being used to fire it (and how big the warhead is), while Screen Launcher ammo and Space Mines take up 10 tons each, and Screen Launchers only have  range of 12 hexes.

(Hmmm, now I am thinking of drifting Screen Mine canisters that have the launching ship's original velocity, and on launch can adjust that by up to 12 from the screen Launcher's equipment.  Set the hex it will detonate in, and once the Screen Launcher canister reaches that hex it will detonate, doing a Gauss Rifle shot to everything in that hex.  Good for long-range bombardment against tricky targets)

Myomers only provide the ability to hold the Mech together until the Internal structure in that location is depleted.  With more locations to armor, the Mech has thinner armor per location, meaning an attacker can get to the internal structure faster than vs an ASF.

And, then there's the versatility factor.  And, we really don't need to go into holding ground on a target area with gravity or a large surface area. 

During the transition, from non-gyro ASFs to gyro-equipped ASFs, I'd like to point out that the Gyro-equipped fighters would enjoy a significant range boost against the non-gyroed fighters.  The losses would be one-sided as fighters that can't weather the hits have to race into dog-fighting range, getting picked apart as they go.

What range advantage would you say that a gyro-equipped fighter would have vs a non-gyro-equipped ASF?  A 1 pt penalty to be hit (similar to a Jumping Mech)?

The gyro-equipped fighters should actually be getting maneuverability advantages, since they can accelerate/decelerate the gyro to make facing changes.

(There's an idea.  Space Gyro maneuvering systems, allowing an ASF, small craft, Dropship, Jumpship, or Warship to make a free facing change per minute.  Not useful in atmosphere due to the time frame, but it means the ship doesn't need fuel to make the facing change.  However if hit during combat a gyro in use will shatter and cause additional damage.  A good piece of civilian equipment.)

Does that sound somewhat familiar?  Let's hearken back to the days of the first BattleMechs, and how they could curbstomp (depending on which source you believe, entire armor brigades, or other) large formations of conventional armor of the day.  I posit that the standard of the day was ranged fighting out to line of sight.  Lasers and PPCs were great for that, and a mere extension of 21st century style conventional combat.  The magic armor on the first Mechs, alone, wouldn't have cut range.  But, you combine that armor with active defenses in the form of predictive algorithms tied to motion control (my idea of why ranges in BT ground combat are so short)!  Suddenly, Mechs could snipe at range while those outdated armor brigades had to focus fire and rush to get close to hope to do any damage.

So, yeah.  A company of Mechs could chew through an armor brigade during those initial years.

And, the question would be, why wasn't that applied to tanks?  Well, the answer is, it was.  But, with ground units in general constant contact with the ground, and generally being armored bricks, they didn't need the gyro to achieve it. (Not only do you get standard BT front-line tanks, but this should explain why so much of a vehicle's hit table is dedicated to the body.  The turret will only get hit 1 in 6 times, probability-wise.  It happens to be the most mobile part of the tank.  And, if you're wondering about VToL rotors, I'd like to point out the thin central axle they're generally attached to.)

This is one way I would propose seeing tech advancement.

The other would be to find a way to figure out how to apply long distance space targeting to Mechs, and even space-capable tanks.  That would be another way.  And, then, to get proper SpaceMechs, it's a matter of incorporating a method of getting up to speed. 

Me? While I love me my transformers, I want to see the BattleMech stay the King of the Battlefield, all battlefields.  That has to include space, someday.

Mechs underwater fighting submarines have other ideas.

Go with Mechs being able to fight in lots of environments, not as good as a specialist, but flexible enough.  They can't engage ASF in space, but they can be deployed onto an asteroid base in large numbers so ASF can't safely line up for critical hits (an ASF moving at a relative speed of 1 is moving 100 BT hexes per BT turn).  They can't land on a Space Station's grav deck, but they can be sent over with mag-packs to attach to the stationary parts, and use their strength (and weapons) to open airlocks for boarding troops (or just threaten to shoot the seals where the rotating and non-rotating parts meet).

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2020, 11:03:27 »
Nope. I see you're unwilling to work with what I put out, going so far as to ask questions that have the answer 'because it's already there'. 

That, or you're trying too hard to be a devil's advocate and picking my stuff apart for no reason.  I've already explained how I see things working, to my satisfaction.  All of your counter arguments don't seem to take that into account as the basis for my suggestions.

I see hide-bound, current-rules logic as well, and no apparent willingness to engage outside the box a little.  In fact, it kinda reads like you want Mechs to suck.  ???

It doesn't necessarily make you wrong, but we are going in circles now.  So, I have nothing more to contribute.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2020, 14:24:20 »
The Battletechnology ram plate and the Rhino are now officially in the BTU. They're just built by Clan Goliath Scorpion now as part of their new mech designs in their empire.  TP: Hanseatic League has the details.

I'm more talking about piston/hydraulic enhanced punch rams/breaching units, etc.

Sweet! :)

Like the how the AV-98 Ingram can add to a punch or reach for it's gun in Patlabor?

For those that want a gyro in a plane. Gyros are to make things more stable, right? I'm pretty sure I read or heard that the best dog fighters were unstable. Their instability allowed them to be more maneuverable. For a stable aircraft, I think of passenger and cargo planes and bombers.

idea weenie
I like the FAST Packs.

I would love more LAMs and other convertible units. I don't think that there being more means that they'd take over the title of King of the Battlefield.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2020, 16:01:06 »
For those that want a gyro in a plane. Gyros are to make things more stable, right? I'm pretty sure I read or heard that the best dog fighters were unstable. Their instability allowed them to be more maneuverable. For a stable aircraft, I think of passenger and cargo planes and bombers.   

Gyros spinning are great at telling what 'stable' should actually be, so the unit can use that to keep itself balanced (and the pilot can still get the unit to go off-balance if needed)

The gyro on an ASF would be more like a reaction wheel, where you turn the wheel in one direction, and the vehicle is turned in the opposite direction.  So if you have a wheel that masses 1% of the rest of the vehicle and you turn the wheel 100 times clockwise, the vehicle will turn once counterclockwise.  This would be mainly used in a pure space environment, without air resistance/benefit.

With strong enough wheels, plus weapons and heat sinks, you could have a small craft pull a Death Blossom maneuver.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 18 October 2020, 04:55:18 »
Gyros spinning are great at telling what 'stable' should actually be, so the unit can use that to keep itself balanced (and the pilot can still get the unit to go off-balance if needed)

The gyro on an ASF would be more like a reaction wheel, where you turn the wheel in one direction, and the vehicle is turned in the opposite direction.  So if you have a wheel that masses 1% of the rest of the vehicle and you turn the wheel 100 times clockwise, the vehicle will turn once counterclockwise.  This would be mainly used in a pure space environment, without air resistance/benefit.

With strong enough wheels, plus weapons and heat sinks, you could have a small craft pull a Death Blossom maneuver.

Thanks. So the pilot would either have to turn it off or overload it?
Sounds cool. Didn't the Gunstar also have maneuvering thrusters though?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #28 on: 18 October 2020, 05:32:17 »
Thanks. So the pilot would either have to turn it off or overload it?
No just accelerate or de-accelerate it.

Sounds cool. Didn't the Gunstar also have maneuvering thrusters though?
these can then be used on top of the gyro or for extra thrust.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2020, 05:49:09 »
No just accelerate or de-accelerate it.

these can then be used on top of the gyro or for extra thrust.

Then how would the gyro stabilized plane become unstable and thus more maneuverable?  :-\

Cool.

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #30 on: 18 October 2020, 10:31:09 »
Then how would the gyro stabilized plane become unstable and thus more maneuverable?  :-\

Cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_moment_gyroscope#Mechanics

This is the sort of system being suggested for ASFs. It's used in real spacecraft as a way to rotate without propellant.

A gyro consists of a large mass with motors to spin it. On a battlemech, that spin is consistent, giving the mech more stability like a spinning top. For an ASF gyro, you can use a gimbal to rotate the spinning gyro, which will in turn rotate the ASF due to conservation of angular momentum. It's more or less the classic "every action creates an equal and opposite reaction" but using internal components rather than thrusters.

It wouldn't be more or less stable per se, but it would allow for turning without consuming propellant. Thus, in conjunction with conventional attitude thrusters, you can turn faster for a given amount of propellant.

Also, the paradigm of marginal stability that makes for a good fighter only really applies in atmosphere, where it's interaction with the air that turns the aircraft. In space, the closest equivalent to "stability" would be mass distribution. A spacecraft with more mass further away from the center of mass will require more energy to rotate than one where the mass is very compact and centered.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2020, 10:38:41 by Adastra »

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 18 October 2020, 18:52:59 »
Actually, gyros may matter a lot more in atmosphere depending on how powerful they are.  Have you seen the way people maneuver spaceplanes with reaction wheels in Kerbal Space Program?  They can make a lot tighter turns than would be possible with just aerodynamic maneuvering surfaces. 

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #32 on: 18 October 2020, 19:31:48 »
Actually, gyros may matter a lot more in atmosphere depending on how powerful they are.  Have you seen the way people maneuver spaceplanes with reaction wheels in Kerbal Space Program?  They can make a lot tighter turns than would be possible with just aerodynamic maneuvering surfaces.

Apparently, KSP's reaction wheels are pretty severely overpowered compared to real-world examples. On the order of 4 times or so. It also doesn't differentiate between reaction wheels and control moment gyroscopes. Reaction wheels in KSP can also apply rotational torque indefinitely, which is not the case for the real deal. Such systems in real life can rotate an object indefinitely, but have a limit on how much total angular acceleration they can produce. I definitely don't have the expertise to explain it, but basically, KSP reaction wheels don't obey physics and are much stronger than they would be in real life.

https://space.stackexchange.com/questions/10622/how-powerful-are-reaction-control-wheels#:~:text=18)%2C%20due%20to%20the%20fact,the%20reaction%20wheels%20in%20KSP!

The top answer is someone who goes into the details
« Last Edit: 18 October 2020, 19:34:08 by Adastra »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 19 October 2020, 04:16:38 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_moment_gyroscope#Mechanics

This is the sort of system being suggested for ASFs. It's used in real spacecraft as a way to rotate without propellant.

A gyro consists of a large mass with motors to spin it. On a battlemech, that spin is consistent, giving the mech more stability like a spinning top. For an ASF gyro, you can use a gimbal to rotate the spinning gyro, which will in turn rotate the ASF due to conservation of angular momentum. It's more or less the classic "every action creates an equal and opposite reaction" but using internal components rather than thrusters.

It wouldn't be more or less stable per se, but it would allow for turning without consuming propellant. Thus, in conjunction with conventional attitude thrusters, you can turn faster for a given amount of propellant.

Also, the paradigm of marginal stability that makes for a good fighter only really applies in atmosphere, where it's interaction with the air that turns the aircraft. In space, the closest equivalent to "stability" would be mass distribution. A spacecraft with more mass further away from the center of mass will require more energy to rotate than one where the mass is very compact and centered.

Cool. Thanks :)

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #34 on: 19 October 2020, 06:30:35 »
Some form of assisting drones, more sophisticated computer network with some hacking options, an AI-like SL lostech that managed, for example, a deployable SDS system.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 19 October 2020, 11:24:46 »
On new tech, I would like to see Inner Sphere tech ProtoMechs.  I'm thinking things more along the lines of Heavy Gear.

Lone-Wolf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: 19 October 2020, 13:26:56 »
There is ONE weapons System I would like to have the stats - and that is non-negotiable.

It is the Head Hunter Missile.
It is mentioned in the old Star League Handbook and the 2750 book, but there were never any stats published.

My ideas:

Bolt on Armor/weapons cough ROBOTECH cough Veritech / Armored Veritech.
For those who dont know: Enter a Crusader, who fires some missiles, and then drops armor and beneath is a Phoenix Hawk.
So, you take your 4/6/0 heavy Battlemech, bolt on some one shot weapons, HS and armor, and now your movement is reduced to 3/5/3 and when you loose too much of it, you push a button, all the extra stuff is blown off and your pristine (or near pristine) mech comes to the fore.

Hypervelocity missiles, guns. No, I dont mean more damage, I mean really really fast missiles, shells that do 1/1/1 Damage = 1 point damage front armor, 1 point damage IS and 1 point damage rear armor.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 20 October 2020, 00:07:24 »
On new tech, I would like to see Inner Sphere tech ProtoMechs.  I'm thinking things more along the lines of Heavy Gear.

I'd like to see a steady construction option going from barely any tonnage to 200 tons.  You start out with a torso-mounted Smartgun mount, move up to powered exoskeletons, add armor to them, move the limbs of the operator so their body is only in the head and torso of the PA, eventually the operator is just in the torso, start shifting main power from battery to fusion plants (ultra-light Mechs) meaning you need torso room for the reactor and wind up forcing the operator back into the head, then pure fusion plant (Mechs).

Batteries would have the advantage that thy can be mounted anywhere in the armor that there is space, but don't have a lot of endurance
Fuel Cells in Battlearmor (and other platforms) would be more massive, but provide higher energy density compared to batteries.  Their fuel plants require better consideration of where they are mounted
Fusion plants are providing all the power a unit needs, but are relatively massive

Personally, I'd want to reduce the power provided per battery, and just make a comment that most PA equipped units will bring a Fuel Cell or Fusion charger with them to keep their cells topped off.  Energy weapons fire would use either the weapon's own power cells, or suit power.  Power Armor would thus have a fixed amount of power points that they use up during the battle, and once out of power they cannot move or power weapons from suit power.  This power would be restored by climbing on a friendly Omnivehicle, attaching to an intact unit that had intact PA recharge links, or using a dedicated building power supply.  This would turn PA into anchored ambush predators, as they are using limited time batteries to fire off a lot of firepower, trusting that they can recharge afterwards.

Power for a unit that uses fusion (or fuel cell) and battery power would use the existing heat chart, but with extra capacity at the bottom.  The extra capacity would reflect what the batteries can handle (similar to an Elemental's battery).  The more batteries you have, the more power you have available.  The more power you use, the more 'heat' builds up (reflecting that you don't have the power to move weapons around as fast, that you aren't ablee to move the leg myomers as quickly, aso).  Every turn, the power production of a fusion or fuel cell power system would remove some of the 'heat' from the scale, indicating that the reactor has recharged some of the batteries.  If using a Fuel Cell you would have to keep track of how many turns of power it uses up, but Fuel cell would provide more power per kilogram than a battery.

On-mount capacitors for PA energy weapons would provide more energy per kilo than the suit battery, but that is because they are dedicated to that energy weapon.  Converting that energy back to suit power should be a slow process, and not really practical.

Protomechs have much more endurance thanks to the fusion plant, but would use batteries to provide surge capacity.  So it might have a fusion plant that can support 3/5 movement, but with battery power it can get up to 6/9.  This means the Protomech can hide for a bit, then come out swinging.  When the Protmech's batteries start getting low, it hides again to recharge (literally).

However, to set this up the game system would need the following comparisons to be created:
  • Power needed for a 1 ton BA to walk 1 hex
  • Power needed for a 1 ton BA to run 1 hex
  • Power needed for a 1 ton BA to jump 1 hex
  • Power needed for single point of Battlemech damage
  • Power needed for single point of Battlemech damage at twice the range

I am assuming that power needs for radio, basic scanners, computer, commands for other weapons to fire are effectively free at the scales PA operate on.  For example, assume an Elemental's Small Laser uses an internal battery, that can be recharged from the PA suit battery if wanted.  The suit battery is on 1 pt left, so it cannot really move.  However, the Small Laser still has five shots left in its own battery.  So the PA can still fire the Small Laser, since the SL is using its own capacitors rather than the suit power.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 20 October 2020, 04:50:11 »
I can see IS Protomechs. I'd think they'd be kind of like Patlabors with their conventional controls. An alternative would be Ultra Light Mechs (5-9 tons) using the old rules for reducing available critical slots. Alternative power sources such as batteries, and steam would be cool too.

Bolt on weapons would be cool. We've got jump packs why not weapons too? Besides, Decision at Thunder Rift had Grayson hoping that the Shadow Hawk's backpack mounted autocannon was still attached.

I would love stats for the Headhunter Missiles.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 20 October 2020, 15:27:12 »
Power for a unit that uses fusion (or fuel cell) and battery power would use the existing heat chart, but with extra capacity at the bottom.  The extra capacity would reflect what the batteries can handle (similar to an Elemental's battery).  The more batteries you have, the more power you have available.  The more power you use, the more 'heat' builds up (reflecting that you don't have the power to move weapons around as fast, that you aren't ablee to move the leg myomers as quickly, aso).  Every turn, the power production of a fusion or fuel cell power system would remove some of the 'heat' from the scale, indicating that the reactor has recharged some of the batteries.  If using a Fuel Cell you would have to keep track of how many turns of power it uses up, but Fuel cell would provide more power per kilogram than a battery.

I've thought about this on occasion, too.  An interesting take, but why muck with the scale when you can just do like heatsinks, and have a value that represents the unit's recharge capacity. 

Maybe even go so far as to allow them to burn through a recharge to get back to full capacity, but at the expense of 'fuel points', leaving them that closer to being out of juice.  Maybe the suit, itself, would have a max draw rate.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 20 October 2020, 19:36:01 »
I've thought about this on occasion, too.  An interesting take, but why muck with the scale when you can just do like heatsinks, and have a value that represents the unit's recharge capacity. 

Maybe even go so far as to allow them to burn through a recharge to get back to full capacity, but at the expense of 'fuel points', leaving them that closer to being out of juice.  Maybe the suit, itself, would have a max draw rate.

Thought I was comparing it to heat sinks?  Ah well, I likely didn't explain it well enough

For a unit with both fusion (or fuel cell) plant and batteries, you have X amount of power provided by the batteries, and 30 pts that are the suit reserves.  Every time you move, run, jump, or recharge energy weapons it takes power from the batteries, and from the suit reserve if the batteries are empty.  If a fusion plant is installed, then each turn it reduces the mark on the heat scale, reflecting the fusion plant recharging the suit.

So a Protomech might have 120 pts of power provided by batteries, and 30 pts in the heat scale.  However, during the fight so far the Protomech pilot has used all except 10 pts of power in the batteries (and 30 pts in the Protomech reserves).  At the start of the turn, an onboard Fuel Cell plant provides 10 pts of power.  So the unit now has 20 pts of power available in batteries, and 30 pts in the Protomech reserve.

The character sees a juicy target, and decides to get in range and fire off its energy weapons.  It jumps (using 15 power points) plus the energy weapon itself uses another 24 power points (the energy weapon was designed to use suit power).  At the end of the turn, the Protomech is treated as being at '19' on the heat scale (-20 + 15 + 24).  This '19' is not because its internal systems are at that temperature, but because the Protomech only has 11 pts of power remaining before it shuts down.

Next turn, the Protomech sees several units in range ready to kill it, not enough power to really exploit its position, so the pilot decides to be Brave Sir Robin and run away.  It first gets 10 pts of power from its Fuel Cell, then spends 15 pts to jump to safety.  It is now at '24' on the heat scale, and the pilot decides to stay back for a bit and recharge (19 - 10 + 15).

(This Protomech was designed around the idea of slow recharging but allowing for massive salvos, rather than fewer batteries and more Fuel Cell for greater endurance)

The fun idea would be designing Battlearmor so they have a limited number of anti-Mech shots, but can recharge off a friendly vehicle with recharge capability.  So the Clan Elemental might have 20 shots with its Small Laser, and the design rule would state that it also needs 20 turns of power for using its most energy expensive movement method.  In a Battletech game, it just gets a note that after 20 turns it is immobile, and to write down the turn it was recharged on.  Once that turn+20 occurs, the Elemental is effectively immobile.

(I want to keep the Battlemech-scale numbers simple on the game side, instead of trying to track how many turns the Elemental has actually moved or fired.  For the RPG side the more complex numbers can be used)

For civilian Battlarmor (i.e. the Powerloader), they might have a small Fuel Cell engine attached that trickle charges 1 pt of power per turn.  Refueling the Fuel Cell would be via pressurized gas tanks, instead of a slow battery recharge.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 20 October 2020, 20:44:34 »
I got that, but what I was talking about was treat the recharge rate to power the same way heat-sinks is applied to heat.  The recharge rate is 10 for the fuel cell.  But, this could be modified or fine-tuned by upping the unit's power generator.  Not quite the same as adding extra heatsinks adds to the cool-down rate, but you get the idea.  Of course, the power generator should probably lose charging capacity when it takes light damage.

The other odd thing about power generation is that there should be choices when you get low.  One of the things I appreciated about the first edition CAV rules.  When you're at full power, you don't have to worry about moving and shooting having penalties.  But, when you're low, you should be able to, say, ignore the modifier to movement or gunnery if you don't use the other.  So, you want to fire with accuracy, you ain't moving that turn.  You want to book, you ain't shooting that turn.

That's one thing that bugged me about the MW:DA heat system.

Quick question about reserve power.  If the unit shuts down due to ultimate power drain, does that turn off the cell/reactor, too?  So, if you manage to burn all your power, are you ultimately stuck?

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 21 October 2020, 02:53:32 »
I got that, but what I was talking about was treat the recharge rate to power the same way heat-sinks is applied to heat.  The recharge rate is 10 for the fuel cell.  But, this could be modified or fine-tuned by upping the unit's power generator.  Not quite the same as adding extra heatsinks adds to the cool-down rate, but you get the idea.  Of course, the power generator should probably lose charging capacity when it takes light damage.

The recharge rate is being applied almost exactly like Heat Sinks are (recharge is applied at the beginning rather than at the end of the turn).  The 30-point heat chart is exactly matching the Protomech's reserve power.  The batteries just represent an amount of energy that is drained before the Protomech's power reserve is used.

In that case it was a 120-capacity battery and a 10-rated Fuel Cell.  Another Protomech might be designed for more up-front combat and have 60-capacity Battery and a 20-rated Fuel Cell.  A third might be designed for ambush with less support and might have a 75-rated battery with a 5-rated Fuel cell, but include a much larger fuel supply for the Fuel Cell.  So you would have a variety of Fuel Cell options when building the Protomech, but during combat you would just keep track of the Fuel Cell's recharge rate, and how many turns of fuel the Fuel Cell had (likely more than a single battle).

There could even be a case where what would be a 10-rated Fuel Cell for a 2-ton Protomech would be listed as a 2-rated Fuel Cell for a 10-ton Protomech.  These details would be only dealt with during construction, while in combat the player only has to worry about how many points of power the Fuel Cell recharges per turn (and how many turns of fuel the Fuel Cell has, plus the number of turns of endurance per critical slot of fuel).

A Protomech using a mixed power system would have XX amount of battery capacity, YY amount of recharge rate, and 30 pts of suit reserve.

The Protomech would first use power from the battery capacity, and if exceeding the amount of power in the battery capacity, would start to consume power from the 30-pt suit reserve.  At either the start or end of the turn, the recharge rate provides additional energy, either lowering the 'heat' level, raising the energy amount stored in the battery capacity, or a mix of both.  The battery + power plant combo is designed to operate almost exactly like the current Mech heat scale (just with more capacity at the bottom).

Losing charging capacity would be treated like any other critical hit.  Hit one of the fuel storage critical slots, you lose some turns of endurance, based on how much is present in that critical.  Hit the batteries, you lose that much capacity.  Hit the Fuel Cell (or Fusion plant) directly, yep, it is gone, and all you have is what is in the batteries and the suit reserve.  Not sure if allowing multiple Fuel Cells could be a good idea (maybe make it where two 5-rated Fuel Cells take up more mass than a single 10-rated Fuel Cell).

The other odd thing about power generation is that there should be choices when you get low.  One of the things I appreciated about the first edition CAV rules.  When you're at full power, you don't have to worry about moving and shooting having penalties.  But, when you're low, you should be able to, say, ignore the modifier to movement or gunnery if you don't use the other.  So, you want to fire with accuracy, you ain't moving that turn.  You want to book, you ain't shooting that turn.

For Battletech, since the Mech is the key unit, I want to make it where smaller units are easier to work with.  So instead of making a new chart for ProtoMechs, I wanted to use the existing Heat scale and relabel it as reserve power. 

To me, ProtoMechs on a field with Battlemechs would be a secondary focus, so they should have fewer rules to work with.  The more I can imitate from Mechs, the better.  Now on a smaller scale, this option for focusing power could be done

Quick question about reserve power.  If the unit shuts down due to ultimate power drain, does that turn off the cell/reactor, too?  So, if you manage to burn all your power, are you ultimately stuck?

If you burn all your Fuel Cell fuel and battery power, I figure the only things you can still run are passive sensors, local radio, and onboard small computer.  The suit itself is stuck.  Time to find an extension cord.  The nice part is that as long as you still have at least 1 pt of power, you can move within the hex (but that movement will likely drain the last point of power).  Hope a buddy with a vehicle comes along to let you recharge off them.  Omni-units include charging ports automatically, while non-omnis will need to allocate tonnage to a recharging port.  These recharging ports allow for in-battle recharging.

Out of battle recharging is done by having someone hook up jumper cables from the vehicle to the Protomech.

A Fuel Cell would be fluffed as having enough power onboard to be able to restart if there is any fuel left.  The Fuel Cell would use a small amount of Fuel to trickle charge and keep itself going.  This amount would not be significant tactically, but could be addressed for strategic purposes (i.e. a Protomech standing guard for several hours might burn a little fuel just running its sensors, radios, computer, aso).

A Fusion plant will obviously have plenty of power and the fuel it consumes is a teaspoon per mission, if that.  Protomechs with a Fusion plant would tend to the heavier end, be 'leader' units, and have recharge attachments so the Protomechs they are with can recharge off the leader.  They might even just use large power cords and the other Protomechs have an auto-jettison in case of combat, while the leader presses the emergency retract.  Another option would be backpack fuel supplies for ProtoMechs, where they use backpack fuel first then internal fuel.

For the same mass a Protomech fusion plant would be less productive than a Battlemech fusion plant, since it has to fit inside the same torso where the pilot is stationed.  Installing a Mech reactor in a ProtoMech means either the pilot is getting shoved out of the torso or the plant is sticking out of the torso.  The first means massive penalties to G/P skills if you keep the head the same size, or expanding the head size so the pilot has enough room resulting in thinner armor protecting the pilot.  The second is known as a weak point.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 21 October 2020, 11:41:47 »
I rather disagree with setting up what is, for all intents and purposes, a non-explosive ammo box for battle armor and/or protomechs to do basic actions.  Now, I could see doing it for energy weapons or jump packs for BA, PM, and even non-nuclear Combat Vehicles (in lieu of Power Amplifiers), but not for things like running around on the field.

The amount of field time the average combat in a game is far less than 5 minutes.  Any military unit which cannot be pushed to "military power" for 5 minutes of travel had better be a missile because otherwise it is completely useless.  We don't even track fuel for ICE-powered Combat Vehicles in this game.  Aero forces tend to be the exception in this dynamic.

Now, setting something like that up for campaign work is a different story.  Something like they need X amount of time to recharge or otherwise they aren't allowed to participate in the next engagement would fulfill the concept over all without tearing the paradigm down.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2020, 19:24:31 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 22 October 2020, 15:02:08 »
Y'know, now that we're on the subject of cheeper units with limits, I've been pining lately for cheaper BattleMechs for filling out Militia and Mercs.

One of the items I had in mind would be an Extra Large Engine.  Not to be confused with the XL, which is both large and light, this engine is cheaper than the standard by simply taking up extra space in the torsos. 

After all, has anyone noticed that IS XL engine equipped mechs tend to be glass jawed?  Well, the Large Engine still weighs the same as the standard engine.  Each version is x amounts cheaper to apply based on number of slots go in the side torso.

I'd been thinking about this for a alternaverse set-up where Mechs would be far more common than indicated in the current BTu, but with different levels of performance filling the ranks.  Front Line units would be standard tech and up.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #45 on: 22 October 2020, 15:59:50 »
Y'know, now that we're on the subject of cheeper units with limits, I've been pining lately for cheaper BattleMechs for filling out Militia and Mercs.

One of the items I had in mind would be an Extra Large Engine.  Not to be confused with the XL, which is both large and light, this engine is cheaper than the standard by simply taking up extra space in the torsos. 

After all, has anyone noticed that IS XL engine equipped mechs tend to be glass jawed?  Well, the Large Engine still weighs the same as the standard engine.  Each version is x amounts cheaper to apply based on number of slots go in the side torso.

So for each slot, the Mech's current engine price might cost 10% less?  If so then one additional slot means the engine costs 90%, a second additional slot means the engine costs 81%, a third means 72.9%, aso?  6 slots total means the Mech engine will cost just over 53% of the original price.

(actual % discount will vary)

I'd been thinking about this for a alternaverse set-up where Mechs would be far more common than indicated in the current BTu, but with different levels of performance filling the ranks.  Front Line units would be standard tech and up. 

DieselMechs? Fuel Cell powered Mechs?

So you need power amplifiers, you won't get as much heat dissipation, you still have to mount heat sinks for ballistic weapons (they are Mechs), and unless you have a snorkel the DieselMech cannot go underwater.  You can also have a location on the hit chart where a critical hit goes through the exhaust pipe and gets a single engine critical hit.

Good for militia Mechs on a Periphery planet

The other idea would be where all Mechs have multiple options for engine, internal structure, cockpit, armor, and similar gear.

Engines would range from XXL Fusion plants that can go for months on a tablespoon of hydrogen, to low-grade Diesel engines burning low-quality biofuel that need refueling after half an hour of combat.  Musculature would rang from existing myomers to hydraulics.

Internal structure would range from Advanced Endo-steel that is only 3% of the Mech's tonnage, to cast iron bracing taking up 40% of the Mech's tonnage.

Cockpits would have options for roominess, fire control ability, back-seater capacity, and armor capacity.

Weapons would be any type, though any Mech without a nuclear plant will need Power Amplifiers for all non ammunition-based weapons (power amplifiers will be needed for Gauss Rifles too, since the damage comes from how much energy is applied to the projectile).

The complexity would be on the design side, so while the design would have a civilian roomy cockpit, the sheet for the Mech would just show 6 pts of armor on the head with a note that the pilot gets +1 on piloting rolls.  The tonnage needed for the Fire Control systems would be part of the design, while the crit would just be part of the cockpit.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 22 October 2020, 16:34:13 »
Yeah. We do have rules for all of those, already, but not with enough allowance for finer variations. 

But, while all those options would be nice, I was thinking that we're not necessarily in a Tech decline in this alterniverse, and Fusion would be the ideal for military units.

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #47 on: 22 October 2020, 18:14:11 »
Perhaps a sort of Low-Output Fusion augmented by batteries for greater peak power? After all, an IndustrialMech hardly needs the sort of power required to fire a gauss rifle or laser, merely move around and operate certain specific equipment.

Basically, a cheaper fusion engine that requires power amplifiers, fewer free heat sinks, and has a limit on the amount of stuff it can do in one turn.

Some very crude potential stats:
-Far cheaper purchase and maintenance costs, as it's effectively a much smaller fusion plant mated to batteries to supply peak power.
-Only 5 free heat sinks. Power amplifiers are required for energy and gauss weapons.
-Cannot use running movement/jump and fire weapons in the same turn.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 23 October 2020, 12:18:57 »
Why not use Support Vehicle Engines? They can be lower tech and don't come with heat sinks. Although I'd wonder why you'd want a fusion engine that performs like a internal combustion engine.