Author Topic: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!  (Read 165280 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: And You Thought There Was Never an Anime Thread on This Forum!
« Reply #1380 on: 14 May 2018, 09:27:18 »
Given how driven the work life is, working insane hours by western standards go, Golden Week is well needed rest. Good for them! Families can actually get to together and have little fun in their stressed work life.

It gives me chance catch up with my anime watchlist, i'm very far behind now.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1381 on: 14 May 2018, 10:57:09 »
I appear to be one of the few fools out there who actually unironically enjoys Symphogear, but even I will openly admit that the sheer ludicrously over-the-top nature of the Symphogear GX Opening lends itself to becoming something of a rite of initiation among the denizens who hang around my store.

I consider it absolutely hilarious how it's become a tradition of sorts for the store regulars to goad a new and unsuspecting victim into watching, and then for said victim to go out and find another target to coax into watching it like a physically viral meme.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 18:40:34 by Dies Irae »

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #1382 on: 14 May 2018, 12:43:33 »
That opening is so far beyond the paltry descriptor of "ludicrous"....    ;D
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1383 on: 14 May 2018, 20:48:14 »
Anyone know if the One Punch Man OVAs are on any of the streaming services?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1384 on: 14 May 2018, 23:22:05 »
Hey you Americans! And Europeans too...

IF you happen to have a local HOT TOPIC clothing store...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1385 on: 14 May 2018, 23:30:21 »
That opening is so far beyond the paltry descriptor of "ludicrous"....    ;D

And I love Symphogear because of it. Wanton destruction on that scale is always entertaining.

Hey you Americans! And Europeans too...

IF you happen to have a local HOT TOPIC clothing store...

TT

Insert sad Asian face here.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 23:33:07 by Dies Irae »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1386 on: 14 May 2018, 23:39:38 »
If only there was $25 worth of stuff at Hot Topic I'd actually spend money on.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1387 on: 14 May 2018, 23:52:58 »

T-Shirts...

That's what I'd buy... if I didn't already have Crunchyroll.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #1388 on: 14 May 2018, 23:54:35 »
Well, they do sell decent video game wallets... I actually need to replace my Zelda one. If only the closest mall wasn't an hour drive away...

Hmm. It's been a while since I've been to Modesto. I miss Arby's. My wife mentioned In and Out. We may make the drive this week.

Overlord is... pretty good. I decided to try the manga, liked it, and went for the first season of it as a tester - and the anime is, I think, better than the manga. It dwells a little more on the servants, which is something that I find oddly enjoyable. The dub is also acceptable as well, with the nerdy voice doing the inner monologue and the threatening outer voice.

I see some LNs are also available translated. Wonder if I should read them...

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1389 on: 15 May 2018, 00:11:43 »
Well, they do sell decent video game wallets... I actually need to replace my Zelda one. If only the closest mall wasn't an hour drive away...

Hmm. It's been a while since I've been to Modesto. I miss Arby's. My wife mentioned In and Out. We may make the drive this week.

Overlord is... pretty good. I decided to try the manga, liked it, and went for the first season of it as a tester - and the anime is, I think, better than the manga. It dwells a little more on the servants, which is something that I find oddly enjoyable. The dub is also acceptable as well, with the nerdy voice doing the inner monologue and the threatening outer voice.

RE: Overlord:
I actually felt that the anime was more faithful to the original light novel than the Manga. The general consensus regarding the Yen Press translations are that it's a bit rocky at the start but get better. I had no problems personally (since I apparently have terribly low standards), but I know there are a lot of detractors of the YP books.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2018, 00:13:56 by Dies Irae »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1390 on: 15 May 2018, 00:39:26 »
T-Shirts...

That's what I'd buy... if I didn't already have Crunchyroll.

TT

Their size selection, at least at the closest Hot Topic, is underwhelming.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #1391 on: 15 May 2018, 00:45:39 »

S3 of the anime starts in July. The light novels are pretty good, though there are a lot of them 12 released I think with 9 or 10 in english I believe.
The anime covers up to book 6 so far. S1 1-3, S2 4-6, and S3 should cover 7-9

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1392 on: 15 May 2018, 12:42:04 »
I appear to be one of the few fools out there who actually unironically enjoys Symphogear, but even I will openly admit that the sheer ludicrously over-the-top nature of the Symphogear GX Opening lends itself to becoming something of a rite of initiation among the denizens who hang around my store.
Hammer space in practical use.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1393 on: 18 May 2018, 15:13:46 »
For anyone familiar with ATOW implants and such: Can the predictive AI Gear Mikio uses in the latest ep of Megalo Box reasonably be replicated in BT/STOW? (other Gear shouldn't be much of a problem with creative application of myomers...)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1394 on: 20 May 2018, 09:29:55 »
I think it's just duplicate thinking.  If there was a actual cop and borrow, it be more pressed CGL / Imprint sue anime company about it.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1395 on: 20 May 2018, 09:56:59 »
I'm pretty sure Kato was just asking if he could replicate it in game, Wrangler, not implying any IP infringement. It's pretty hard to copyright an idea like that.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1396 on: 20 May 2018, 10:08:20 »
Indeed, as the concept of cybernetic/bionic muscle support gear isn't particular to any IP anyway. I think. If it is it predates CGL by at least half a century, because that's when they were first built in reality ;)

But yeah, the question was whether ATOW would have some kinda builtin mechanism to account for the AI component that the cybernetics are augmented with in this particular episode of Megalo Box if one wanted to build a character with such "Gear".

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1397 on: 20 May 2018, 10:51:52 »
So, been browsing some of the shows on Crunchyroll to see if I find anything else to watch there while I subscribe, and am wondering about how some like these shows?

Schwarzes Marken
Total Eclipse (are these two shows related? Description makes it sound like it)
Black Clover
Space Brothers

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1398 on: 20 May 2018, 11:20:57 »
So, been browsing some of the shows on Crunchyroll to see if I find anything else to watch there while I subscribe, and am wondering about how some like these shows?

Schwarzes Marken
They are. First one is side story set in Europe the other the main story.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1399 on: 20 May 2018, 11:31:30 »

Schwarzes Marken
Black Clover
Space Brothers

Schwarzesmarken and Total Eclipse are both spinoffs from the Muv Luv visual novel. Neither is especially great, though Schwarzesmarken is probably the better entry of the two. Long story short, both are terrible at their job of presenting Muv Luv's core military conceit that despite every nasty trick that mankind can pull out, humanity is being rolled back by an invasion from an alien species known as the BETA by dint of sheer numbers. Making things generally worse, the BETA also possess advanced organic laser technology precise enough to intercept incoming artillery, which has effectively culled human air superiority. As a result, the Tactical Surface Fighter represents something of a human wunderwaffe, being combat mecha resilient and maneuverable enough to provide some resistance to the BETA advance.

Schwarzesmarken starts with an interesting enough premise - it focuses on a Warsaw Pact TSF Squadron in an 80's Europe still mired in Cold War politics facing down a massive alien invasion. It sort of holds together shakily until the end and was overall a decent 'Mecha outing and an okay-ish prequel to Muv Luv as a whole.

Total Eclipse, on the other hand just couldn't find a consistent tone, fluctuating wildly between gore completely at home in a slasher film and ha-ha-harem antics. It basically happens as a side story to the visual novel, occurring at about roughly the same time though an entire continent away and two decades or so after Schwarzesmarken.

Also, with the Muv Luv franchise (which is itself a stealth sequel to the romance drama Rumbling Hearts/Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) originating from an eroge visual novel, expect skin tight flight suits and bouncy assets.

Space Brothers, on the other hand was excellent in my opinion, being a hard detailed look at the profession of being an astronaut, cloaked in the veneer of a sibling rivalry comedy about chasing your dreams. In my opinion, the best show on the list.

I didn't enjoy Black Clover very much since it felt like default Shōnen 101. Not great, not an absolute trainwreck like Total Eclipse (which was so bad I ended up watching just to see how low it could sink), just so middle of the road and by the numbers that I got bored and went to watch something else.

Overall, I rank Space Brothers as good and Schwarzesmarken as watchable. These are my personal 2 cents on the series mentioned: I expect some degree of disagreement.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 12:11:49 by Dies Irae »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1400 on: 20 May 2018, 12:15:55 »
Just started watching Iron Blooded Orphans... Boy Mikazuki is a psychopath.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1401 on: 20 May 2018, 13:20:37 »
Does crunchy roll have anything dubbed?  I know Funimation has some.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1402 on: 20 May 2018, 13:26:45 »
Just started watching Iron Blooded Orphans...
One of the better Gundam series. Good number of fans of the franchise don't like it. But because I'm not a fan, I enjoyed of it. Strong BattleTech vibes.

Boy Mikazuki is a psychopath.
In my opinion Mikazuki is [TV Tropes warning!] the stoic character. He doubles as trope buster and does (and doesn't) do many things other Guindam protagonists (or anime protagonists in general) don't (or do):
He doesn't angst
He tells others to stop angsting
He kiss a girl!
He enters in relationship with TWO GIRLS AT THE SAME TIME!!
He don't take part to grandstanding; instead he strikes down the enemies occupied in doing it

And side character, space cowboy Naze Turbine, has large harem, and he makes good use of it! ("Work work" ;))
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1403 on: 20 May 2018, 13:33:08 »
Spoilers, my friend.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1404 on: 20 May 2018, 13:36:57 »
Spoilers, my friend.
Tags don't work

[edit]
Also most (if not all) of it has already been mentioned before on this forum.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1405 on: 20 May 2018, 15:34:46 »
Funny thing about Muv Luv is the mangas of it are far better than the anime to me.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1406 on: 20 May 2018, 16:44:04 »
He enters in relationship with TWO GIRLS AT THE SAME TIME!!

And boy does he.... to bad about the ending....

Surprise surprise...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1407 on: 20 May 2018, 19:12:54 »
Funny thing about Muv Luv is the mangas of it are far better than the anime to me.

The manga (Extra/Unlimited/Alternative) were for the most part at least, based on the original visual novels which were highly acclaimed both for their unique storytelling and raw shock value.
Yoshimune Kouki basically took advantage of the fact that since Muv Luv was getting a R rating by dint of being an eroge, he might as well grab the ball and keep running and he really went all out to push the limits of what he could show the reader. I still feel slightly sick when I recall "Chomp".

The subsequent spinoffs of which Schwarzesmarken and Total Eclipse are based either lack the creator's guiding hand and ballsy approach to things (Total Eclipse) or are just guilty of playing the setting straight as an alien invasion (when the focus of Muv Luv was primarily the 'stranger in a strange land' reaction of an anime Harem protagonist to being dumped into a post-apocalyptic 'Mecha series).

In my opinion at least, finding the original better than the anime, is for the most part expected.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 20:15:43 by Dies Irae »

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1408 on: 21 May 2018, 15:52:18 »
Been watching Wakfu. Is this a french animation? I'm currently at start of Season 3. That's a damned rollercoaster ride.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1409 on: 21 May 2018, 19:39:03 »
I am now also watching Hinamatsuri.

I thought I had it figured out by the end of ep 2 but ep 3 went in an unexpected direction. Now I'm hooked.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Register