Author Topic: Aviation Pictures: A-Seven-th Thread--CorsAirin' Through Time and Airspace  (Read 36351 times)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
CT-156 Harvard II (Canadian version of the Beech/Pilatus T-6 Texan II) flying with an original Harvard (North American T-6 Texan)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
How very Tucano-like the new one looks... ;)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
That's a very heritage scheme there. The RCAF has long used the Maple Leaf roundel.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
How very Tucano-like the new one looks... ;)

Modern-ish turboprop trainers all tend to look alike even more than jet trainers do, since the requirements are similar - aerobatics capable, turbine engines like pretty much anything a military pilot will fly with more performance than a GA aircraft, but also rugged and easy to maintain because students inevitably result in some rough handling. They almost all even use the same family of engines (Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6).

They definitely tend to about the weight and power of an early WW2 fighter (think Battle of Britain planes) with weight saved by the engine coming back as avionics and ejections seats. Longer due to the second ejection seat, and I assume the squared off wings and control surfaces make for easier construction and repair, but that means that all the trainers (adding the KAI KT-1 Woongbi and TAI Hürkuş) look a bit like a cross between an Me109 and a P-51D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That makes sense to me! :)

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
RAF Shorts Tucano T.1

The replacement Beechcraft T-6 Texan T.1

And a Super Tucano for reference

KA-1 (light attack member of the KAI family)

TAI Hürkuş

HAL HTT-40 - a bit unusual in that it doesn't use a PT-6

RAAF Pilatus PC-21

Also, dark gloss paint also seems to be used by Canada and New Zealand for trainers as well, although the Kiwis and Brits seem to go for black while the Canadian planes are a dark navy.

« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 02:26:54 by chanman »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Heh... I guess they assume new pilots won't drag their tails... ;D

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
On a recent trip back & forth from Ecuador to the US, I got to see Ecuador's Super Tucanos lined up on the tarmac at Manta International Airport (which also doubles as an airbase for the FAE). In another trip back & forth via Guayaquil, I saw one of Ecuador's retired Mirage F.1s. At least it was a thrill for me...

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
I love that really dark blue color. I wish i could find that in a good paint color....want to paint some mechs like that.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
I do love heritage paint schemes on prop trainers.

USAF/USAAF

Not heritage, but the new modern overall low-visibility grey. Considering the USAF only uses it for basic flight training, there's no real point to using a low-vis scheme. It'd arguably benefit more from something bright to help with spotting in case of accidents/VFR avoidance

Texan and Texan II

The older two-tone paint scheme is pretty sporty

Navy heritage paint scheme. I know it says Marines, but it also says Navy on the other side

RCAF Heritage Harvard II and the demonstrator team Hornet

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
I love that really dark blue color. I wish i could find that in a good paint color....want to paint some mechs like that.

Listed under "Roundel Blue"
https://hedgehoghollow.com/buzz/Colour_Guide/aircraft_clr.html

I think the US Navy WW2 dark blue is a bit blue-r

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
now for something weird...

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
The old Flying Pancake.  It boggles the mind how that aircraft was able to operate.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Aerodynamics is a deep magic unto itself.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy

https://www.amazon.es/Vallejo-Model-Color-ACrylic-Prussian/dp/B000PH9JNC

Looks like dark prussian blue to me.

Or prussian blue with a black undercoat or a black wash.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Navy Blue is darker than that... ;)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
That Dark Blue looks so good on those aircraft, in person probaly looks that much better.

It reminds me of the really dark blue (almost black IMHO) that was on the US Airways airplanes pre-America West Merger.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
now for something weird...

I wonder what her armaments would have been, back then, if any?

Be real interesting to say at the least.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
well, the V-173 didn't have any guns since it was just a flight demonstrator, but the uncompleted XF5U would have had 6x .50cal MG's in the wingroots on either side of the cockpit, and hard points for a pair of 1000lb bombs underneath (which presumably also would have been able to carry external fuel tanks)

sadly it came around just too late.. by the time the design got finalized and the first test model started being built in 1947, ww2 was over and jet aircraft were the big focus of interest.

ironically, at the same time that it was being cancelled, vought was already working on a jet carrier fighter for the same role.. the ill fated F7U Cutlass..
« Last Edit: 11 April 2024, 16:46:35 by glitterboy2098 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Ah, the nutless Cutlass ...

Such a beautiful looking airframe, which wouldn't look out of place in the BattleTech universe. Cursed by poor Westinghouse engines, and the technical immaturity which forced the absurdly long (and fragile) nose gear to provide angle of attack for takeoff (and which caused no end of landing issues, both from viewpoint & pilot impalement perspectives.) One of the more intriguing "what might have been" cases.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
The way the nose and cockpit droop down it looks like it'd have fantastic forward visibility.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
The way the nose and cockpit droop down it looks like it'd have fantastic forward visibility.

Not with that nose gear.

I have spoken.

Luciora

• Major
So very Wing Commander.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
biggest problem the cutlass had was the control system.. Hydraulics, with no alternate manual backup and no safety system built in to ensure hydraulics pressure in the event that the pump isn't working. the system also leaked badly, so even if the engine powered pumps were working, the control would lose responsiveness over time anyway.
combine that with the underpowered engines prone to flaming out... it's amazing that the USN didn't lose more of the aircraft to accidents than they did.
(also the fact that the ejection seat, which was a new feature at the time, was overly sensative and prone to accidental firing. so most pilots disabled it. in a plane that was prone to losing power and the controls going unresponsive.)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
biggest problem the cutlass had was the control system.. Hydraulics, with no alternate manual backup and no safety system built in to ensure hydraulics pressure in the event that the pump isn't working. the system also leaked badly, so even if the engine powered pumps were working, the control would lose responsiveness over time anyway.
combine that with the underpowered engines prone to flaming out... it's amazing that the USN didn't lose more of the aircraft to accidents than they did.
(also the fact that the ejection seat, which was a new feature at the time, was overly sensative and prone to accidental firing. so most pilots disabled it. in a plane that was prone to losing power and the controls going unresponsive.)

so basically your prototype that engages in New Toy Syndrome without much safety concern.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
It was an awkward stage in development; coming off the war R&D cycle, lots of new toys, lots of basics (eg. area ruling) not yet identified, etc.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
I bet a lot of issues in that period end up back at the feet of unreliable and underpowered engines. The only recourse would have been to slow development - ie designing planes around proven/existing engines, but the appetite for risk and ambition of the time meant design compromises that might not have made it past the proof-of-concept stage ended up in service.

The Allies had a fair number of WW2 designs that died on the drawing board or prototype phase simply because logistically, it wasn't worth upsetting the existing apple cart to add in a new design that was only slightly better.

You can have a great engine in a bad plane, but you can't have a great plane with bad engines.

so basically your prototype that engages in New Toy Syndrome without much safety concern.

I mean, the 50s were a time of almost wartime-levels of risk-taking, without the wartime scarcity worries. You wouldn't say, stop P-40 or early P-51 production to crank out a couple wings worth of P-75 Eagles just to try out mid-1943, but apparently in 1949, the Navy was just fine throwing that many pilots away.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
Ah, the nutless Cutlass ...

Such a beautiful looking airframe, which wouldn't look out of place in the BattleTech universe. Cursed by poor Westinghouse engines, and the technical immaturity which forced the absurdly long (and fragile) nose gear to provide angle of attack for takeoff (and which caused no end of landing issues, both from viewpoint & pilot impalement perspectives.) One of the more intriguing "what might have been" cases.

I give pretty good odds that it's the inspiration for the Lucifer. Just add canards and extend the fuselage a little more and move the vertical stabilizers onto the fuselage instead of hanging out there on the wing. Even the fluff about the Lucifer's legion of issues seems inspired by the Cutlass

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Legion of issues, yes... design overall?  Not so sure...

Register