Author Topic: Outworlds Alliance Expansion Post-Jihad  (Read 10001 times)

Archangel

• Major
Outworlds Alliance Expansion Post-Jihad
« on: 16 June 2011, 07:08:04 »
According to the MPS Handbook, the Outworlds Alliance (like all periphery realms) lost many worlds after the fall of the First Star League.  Lacking the technology and resources, they have largely been unable to recolonize them.  Now with their alliance with the Snow Ravens and their growing economy, what do you think their chances are to start reclaiming the lost worlds?  The Snow Ravens provide the technical know-how while the Outworlds Alliance provides the labor and resources.  The Snow Ravens would get part of the material resources extracted and maybe a couple colonies (which would help them improve their self-sufficiency) while the Outworlds Alliance would regain access to the lost colonies (and their resources) and be able to expand their borders without violence.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Outworlds Alliance Expansion Post-Jihad
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2011, 07:50:06 »
Most of those planets don't want to be part of the OA, I don't know that they want to get bogged down in more wars.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2011, 08:48:15 »
Why would they waste resources on trying to setup new Colonies? Seems like a rather expensive option.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2011, 09:50:26 »
Perhaps the Ravens would like a world they have sole control over so and restrict access to clan members only?

An abandoned ex-OA colony might be just the thing...
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2011, 15:29:03 »
I'm not sure it was so much the case that worlds became nonviable so much as they left the Outworlds Alliance due to differences with the central government.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2011, 15:31:13 »
The Outworlds are so underdeveloped, I don't think there's any real reason to launch a colonization program instead of working on bringing the current worlds up to speed.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2011, 16:18:12 »
Most of those planets don't want to be part of the OA, I don't know that they want to get bogged down in more wars.

uhm how many times has the OA gone to war since the fall of the First Star League?

Even if they were active and not part of the OA, the OA would be aware of them (especially with all their pirate sweeps) and would have some sort of relations with them.  Just wanted to mention that before I mentioned they don't appear on any maps after the fall of the first SL.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2011, 16:49:13 by Archangel »

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2011, 16:46:15 »
Why would they waste resources on trying to setup new Colonies? Seems like a rather expensive option.

SR reasons-
1) How many warships have the Snow Ravens been forced to convert to barracks to house their people?  Even one new colony would allow they to restore one, if not more, warships to their intended purpose.

2) How are those people being fed?  Most of their food is being sent up from OA colonies.  A new colony would allow the SR to start back on the road to self-sufficiency.

3) Helping the OA regain some of their lost colonies would help the SR show a more benevolent side by helping both gain strength without resorting to violence.  Also it would help improve their tarnished image especially after Dante.

4) After the Jihad (and their conflict with the DC), how much raw materials do the SR need to rebuild their strength?  A new colony would provide them access to the needed raw material.  It would also allow them to build their own factories using tech the SR are not yet ready to share with the OA.

OA reasons-
1) New colonies would help continue President Avellar's Long Road Program.  New jobs and access to raw materials that could be used in manufacturing or traded to other nations.

2) There are many factions, such as some Separatists factions, in the OA that are uneasy with the SR presence.  Helping the SR establish their own colonies would reduce the drain the SR have on local economies and reduce the number of orbiting warships.  This in turn would make them less of a sword of Damocles presence

3) Having OA and SR working side-by-side for a common (and non-violent) goal would improve further improve relations.  Most citizens of the OA are not able to see the big picture and how the SR presence has actually helped the OA.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2011, 17:30:42 »
uhm how many times has the OA gone to war since the fall of the First Star League?

Too many times for their liking, nobody enjoys being invaded.

Even if they were active and not part of the OA, the OA would be aware of them (especially with all their pirate sweeps) and would have some sort of relations with them.  Just wanted to mention that before I mentioned they don't appear on any maps after the fall of the first SL.

Periphery planets that aren't of note, like most of those that exit a larger state on their own, aren't shown on the map any more. The OA is especially know for this, with the plaet Barahona issuing the following statement of their feelings:

Quote from: End of Days
We send you taxes.  We send you our children.  We even pay to put your name on everything from statues to letterhead.  And what do we ask for?  Clean water?  We provide that.  Food?  We grow our own.  Social services?  We see to our own.  Not even a garrison.  No, indeed all was ask for is protection when we are repeatedly preyed upon.  A strong force to deal with the jackals that seek to steal from us.  Instead you leave us to defend ourselves, alone in our hour of need.  Well, we have done so.  In doing so, we realize that we have no need for you or your government.  No longer will you receive taxes or recruits.  We will use the letterhead with your name on it, but only until it is gone.  No, we are done with you and we will work to better our world and our people.  Goodbye from Barahona.
- Citizens of Barahona to Outworlds Alliance officials, July 2846.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2011, 17:51:40 »
If only the Outworlds Alliance had a partner that could help it exploit resources it was unable to touch when it was simply a piss-poor 3rd world state in the middle of nowhere. All those seas and space borne resources are crying out for pillaging, if only there was a friend experienced and technologically advanced enough to help them finally get them!  ::)

Also, when did fresh Colonies become Raw Resource Vending Machines and not drains where you pour resources down to setup?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 16 June 2011, 19:34:21 »
Also, when did fresh Colonies become Raw Resource Vending Machines and not drains where you pour resources down to setup?

Well, there was African colonialism....

:D

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 16 June 2011, 20:32:31 »
Well, there was African colonialism....

:D

LoL.

Now I have a picture of Snow Ravens singing Men of Harlech.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #12 on: 16 June 2011, 22:29:17 »
There is no Outworlds Alliance post Jihad.  It is supplanted by the Raven Alliance in 3083.  The Raven Alliance has plenty of expansion opportunities... into
the Draconis Combine.

Also, Dante seems to have become an all Raven world after its scouring.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 16 June 2011, 22:33:07 »

This-- why bother having a colony?  over population?  most OA worlds have popujlations in the thousands or millions, not billions, so you could still find vast amounts of land. Resources?  Pretty much ditto.

The OA's problems-- defense and lack of an industrial base to build up same, are not solved by adding more targets to the mix-- rather the opposite.  An intelligent system would start with industriliazing and fortifying the core worlds, gradually moving out to other worlds, not landing a few colonists on yet another deserted, pirate friendly, colony.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #14 on: 17 June 2011, 10:16:57 »
Yes, colonizing new worlds never does anything good.  *looks at the Calderon Protectorate*  ;)

More sensible is finding colonies that have left and encouraging them to join up again.  *Looks at Detroit*  :)

There are probably some (maybe not many but some) Detroits in the vast region that fell away from the Alliance.  The question would be whether they would be would be worth bringing in.  Yes, they could provide major labor forces for building factories and the like, ala Detroit, but they might be a bit rebellious as the Calderons found out.

Many things could happen.  Not all of them nice for either side.  It would be a story I would like to see though.  :)
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 28 June 2011, 01:04:44 »
Well, quick look at a 3062 map and a 3130 map and their differences:

Gained from Draconis Combine
Suianheer
Tabayama
Ramgarh
Ziatousi
Kazanaka

Gained from Federated Suns
Pitkin
Pajarito
Kennard

Lost to Periphery
Trimaldix
Ferris
Raldamax
Baliggora
Valasha

So... Anti-expansion (into the Periphery)?
« Last Edit: 28 June 2011, 01:14:05 by Nibs »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 28 June 2011, 03:07:09 »
Lost to Periphery
Trimaldix
Ferris
Raldamax
Baliggora
Valasha
Are these "lost to the Periphery" in the sense of going independent, or were they lost to war? Especially Baliggora I'd expect to suffer from WoB WoMDs, as it was a major Explorer Corps HQ and the Explorer Corps was a highly secular ComStar branch (i.e. a prime WoB target).
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 28 June 2011, 03:07:42 »
How many of those worlds taken from the Combine and the FedSuns were Outworlds Alliance colony worlds, prior to the Reunification War?

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 28 June 2011, 04:17:21 »
How many of those worlds taken from the Combine and the FedSuns were Outworlds Alliance colony worlds, prior to the Reunification War?
All of the Feddie worlds, IIRC and at least two of the DC worlds
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #19 on: 28 June 2011, 10:53:34 »
Are these "lost to the Periphery" in the sense of going independent, or were they lost to war? Especially Baliggora I'd expect to suffer from WoB WoMDs, as it was a major Explorer Corps HQ and the Explorer Corps was a highly secular ComStar branch (i.e. a prime WoB target).

They are still on map, so I suspect that it is the former.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 28 June 2011, 16:07:53 »
I wonder if they are home to an anti - Raven Alliance movement.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #21 on: 28 June 2011, 20:04:33 »

That's my theory.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 28 June 2011, 23:13:32 »

Those jerks.  >:(

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 29 June 2011, 04:27:44 »
Those jerks.  >:(

Well given the ammount of risistance the Outworlds put up against the Star League is it any wonder some of them would resist the Star Leagues decendents?

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 29 June 2011, 06:11:08 »
Well given the ammount of risistance the Outworlds put up against the Star League is it any wonder some of them would resist the Star Leagues decendents?

Compared to the Magistracy of Canopus and the Taurian Concordat they barely put up any resistance.  It was only through support provided by the FedSuns were they able to put up any organized resistance at all.

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 30 June 2011, 01:04:07 »

They should be more apathetic.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 30 June 2011, 02:48:51 »
They should be more apathetic.

Well they are probably providing good 'training' opponents for the Raven's.

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 30 June 2011, 02:57:25 »

It's not the amount of resistance it's the tendency (which the Ravens share) that the Star League had to murder millions of civilians just because.

Look at the events following Budigen. This is a nation that had 10% of the population of 12 worlds executed by the Star League and names it's highest military honor after the officer who led the fight against the league. Their "Alliance" with the Ravens has always struck me as having been dreamt up by some wizkids staffer who didn't know anything about the OWA except the name and that they liked Aerospace.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 30 June 2011, 03:03:55 »
It's not the amount of resistance it's the tendency (which the Ravens share) that the Star League had to murder millions of civilians just because.

Look at the events following Budigen. This is a nation that had 10% of the population of 12 worlds executed by the Star League and names it's highest military honor after the officer who led the fight against the league. Their "Alliance" with the Ravens has always struck me as having been dreamt up by some wizkids staffer who didn't know anything about the OWA except the name and that they liked Aerospace.

You're probably right about how the Raven Alliance came about, hopefully we will have a fight back by the Outworlders who managed to stay independent, maybe those systems can form a new Outworlds Alliance?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #29 on: 30 June 2011, 06:01:34 »
Their "Alliance" with the Ravens has always struck me as having been dreamt up by some wizkids staffer who didn't know anything about the OWA except the name and that they liked Aerospace.

*sighs*

This has only been said about a trillion times, but... the Dark Age fluff text, from universe creation down to website content such as touring the starts was written by former and current Battletech universe writers, including, yes, Herb.

With that being said, it's never been made entirely clear how the Ravens ended up effectively taking over the Outworlds Alliance; hell, we still know very little about it beyond the broadest basic details. In the case of the RA, a lot of it is "still to ocme" stuff.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #30 on: 30 June 2011, 06:40:25 »
With that being said, it's never been made entirely clear how the Ravens ended up effectively taking over the Outworlds Alliance; hell, we still know very little about it beyond the broadest basic details. In the case of the RA, a lot of it is "still to ocme" stuff.
I dimly recall a story... somewhere... (LinkNet or BC, presumably) where the Ravens approach the ailing OA and offer them a co-operation deal for an aerospace fighter. An offer the OA couldn't afford to resist.
I guess the superior technology and organisation of a Clan won the impoverished OA over. The very idea of an organisation of individualistic self-ruled worlds never made much sense in the first place and worked out especially poor for the OA which was more a region of space than a realm.
(No Marik jokes please.)
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 30 June 2011, 08:09:35 »
The fact that the name is the "Raven Alliance" that doesn't tend to imply that the Ravens have subjugated the OA. Admittedly, there's the old adage about how any country that includes the words "Free" or "Democratic" in its' name is invariably neither, but the term "Alliance"at least implies a partnership of equals.

If the Ravens have been stomping all over pirate activity in the area for a hundred years, I'd not be surprised to see that those worlds now showing up as being independent simply seceeded peacefully from the OA, in the main; other worlds have done it in the past, and if the biggest threat to independent worlds is generally removed through the application of naval firepower, then it stands to reason that independent worlds could prosper. The fact that they're still on the map at all suggests that those worlds have a decent sized population and an interest in trading/interacting with the nearby Raven Alliance or other worlds nearby, because they haven't simply dropped off the map altogether.

Of course, it could be that I'm hopelessly optimistic in my outlook, and the Raven Alliance is yet another Clan-ruled military dictatorship identical in principle to all the other occupation zones that've been around since the Clans first appeared in the Inner Sphere, but I'd be very disappointed if they were. That's already been done. I find the idea of the Raven Alliance allowing the bulk of the former OA worlds to enjoy the peace and solitude away from the Inner Sphere that they've wanted since their initial settlement highly appealing - and after several hundred years of threats, raids and invasions from pirates, the Combine and the FedSuns, there's something hilariously appealing in the idea that the former OA is not only no longer being kicked around and living on the sufference of the two big Houses nearby, but is fully capable of doing unpleasant things to those who don't leave them alone.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 30 June 2011, 23:32:14 »
Given that the Jihad books already have the Ravens razing OWA planets in the name of the Star League and the Outworlds response being "Oh thank you sir" I suspect that the "more to come" will be pretty dissappointing.
It's really, it's a very, very beautiful poem to giant monsters. Giant monsters versus giant robots.
G. Del Toro

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 01 July 2011, 13:51:16 »
When did the Ravens raze OA worlds in the name of the Star League? Why would they even do such a thing? I seem to recall them possibly razing Dante because it was a Blakist/Pirate world, but I certainly don't recall them trumpting the glories of the Star League while doing it (since neither was a member).

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #34 on: 01 July 2011, 15:01:00 »
Nice discussions. I role-played a post jihad Raven Alliance. When it came down to game system, we expanded to pick up the old worlds because we needed the resources to be competative. But RP wise, the reality sets in.

A.) Who wants to be in charge of people who don't want to be led?
B.) These worlds are mostly barren or scarecly populated. There's room for new settlements or "Enclaves"   ^-^ if really needed, without interfering with the way they're running the world.
C.) If what you need are the resources, the OA was founded as a group of people that bartered, keep on bartering.
D.) Letting these people be means you don't have to expand your government to provide for them. These are some hard luck worlds.

The new Barter society is working out well for the Ravens. They have production and technology, the OA has the raw materials to rebuild from. The Ravens can exist like this until they become self sufficient again, or until they make arrangements to do what they end up doing, and that is forming some sort of TBD union with the OA.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Crunch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 01 July 2011, 16:29:14 »
When did the Ravens raze OA worlds in the name of the Star League? Why would they even do such a thing? I seem to recall them possibly razing Dante because it was a Blakist/Pirate world, but I certainly don't recall them trumpting the glories of the Star League while doing it (since neither was a member).

The clans do everything in the name of the Star League (the old one that decimated a dozen OWA worlds) its why they're in the sphere in the first place.
G. Del Toro

Register